Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
So do Unfallen just not have influence? Are black holes/unconnected system bonuses not gettable for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Vine em

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Can you vine systems that aren't connected by lanes? If so, is there a range limit on vining?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shab posted:

Can you vine systems that aren't connected by lanes? If so, is there a range limit on vining?

Yeah. The unfallen did that to one of my systems and took it over. I did you even notice until it was too late.

Somehow it wasn't an act of war either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Overminty posted:

Right, must have skipped over the auto-build part. Echoing what others said, EL did it and you can see it for science in ES2. Would be weird if they didn't for industry.

It still doesn't build multiple items at once though which would be helpful. Forexample, when switching over all the planetary exploitations at the same time.

In other news, I just created a custom race that uses the Riftborn population mechanics with the Unfallen Vine thing. It's... kind of weird because apparently the reversed planetary preference thing is part of the Continuum Sculptors Trait, but some of the Riftborn colonization techs are connected to their population instead? So I literally can't colonize Lava planets ever, since I research the ability to colonize Terran (again) instead.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think Riftborn get the happiness penalties from lifeless planets, quite the opposite. My game I was running 90+ approval on all my colonies and I didn't even build super markets.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't think Riftborn get the happiness penalties from lifeless planets, quite the opposite. My game I was running 90+ approval on all my colonies and I didn't even build super markets.

They get the penalties, but they have another trait to cancel out the penalty. So they get -20 and +20.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

They get the penalties, but they have another trait to cancel out the penalty. So they get -20 and +20.

Similar to Sophons getting + on cold planets (from a research tech, at least), which functionally cancels or at least mitigates the penalties

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

toasterwarrior posted:

Also, Riftborn get to colonize the "lovely" planets right from the start, except these planets usually have massive bonuses to Industry/Dust/Science in exchange for Food, which they don't use. The -20 approval penalty is easily taken care of by the Toys for Boys law, which gives +20 approval in exchange for some Science, can be used by everyone, and has no Influence upkeep whatsoever. Riftborn pops also get a flat +5 I/D/S bonus per unit, which is stupidly good and better than building improvements nearly all the time.

Reflecting on this, Riftborn may actually be the least balanced faction if the player knows what they're doing and how to game their bonuses.

I just finished a Riftborn game winning Science on Hard (I would've won Economic too if I hadn't disabled it), they're pretty drat broken, especially once you get the quest bonuses going so that every pop also yields an extra 5 dust and building pops is 50% cheaper. I would've probably crushed it even harder but it took me 40+ turns to realize building more pops is nearly always superior to building improvements.

You could probably swing a hammer at the pop production rates (maybe reduce them to 4 or even 3) and they'd still be fine.

Lorewise they might be my favourite faction, too. They're just so stressed out by all these meatbags with their fluids sloshing around.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not really sure why ice planets (and ice environments in Legend) get +Science from a lore perspective but, more importantly, it follows the coloring scheme of the FIDS so it's easy to remember. Blue=Science.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Antti posted:

Lorewise they might be my favourite faction, too. They're just so stressed out by all these meatbags with their fluids sloshing around.

The initial quest's writing when describing Vanguard is great. Nice prose on how Vanguard, despite how bleakly white and snowy it is, has all the telltale flourishes and wonders of life. And the next line is something like "Words do no justice to the horror :stare:."

How to break Riftborns even harder: take the military tech that lets you convert pops into manpower. Riftborn pops will never get targeted by it since they have their own mechanic for generating manpower, so you can freely turn all your meatbags into soldiers and use their slots for efficient extradimensional robutts.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 23, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

toasterwarrior posted:

How to break Riftborns even harder: take the military tech that lets you convert pops into manpower. Riftborn pops will never get targeted by it since they have their own mechanic for generating manpower, so you can freely turn all your meatbags into soldiers and use their slots for efficient extradimensional robutts.

That's hilarious. I just assumed that it would convert Riftborn pops as well. I was actually ailing for manpower early in the game but then I got a steady stream from a minor faction relations bonus.

My very first meatbags were actually discovered through an anomaly, they landed on Vanguard and then starved to death because, oops, no food.

"So, thanks for rescuing us and all, but it's been a week and we're getting really hungry. Where's the food?"

<What is 'food?'>

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Speedball posted:

I'm not really sure why ice planets (and ice environments in Legend) get +Science from a lore perspective but, more importantly, it follows the coloring scheme of the FIDS so it's easy to remember. Blue=Science.

This is partly true but it breaks a tad in that desert etc planets are yellow but are 'hot' and the exploitation for production works on them

I do wonder the reason they chose the mechanics though. I"m ok with it since it makes it really easy to see a system's baseline potential. I think the only change i'd like regarding planets is having the most basic exploitations all unlocked at the start, or a proto version that is merely +1 to a FIDSI w/o the bonuses (like for fertile, cold, etc)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 23, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I guess the Riftborn really are the new Broken Lords!

And even more broken TBH!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Desert planets were originally good at Dust, as they are in ES1, and EL. At some point in early access they decided to simplify the terraforming into only two lines: hot and cold. There used to be like, wet and dry or something too.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's two scales for terraforming. Hot > Temperate > Cold and Sterile > Fertile. I haven't payed a lot of attention to terraforming yet, but the ones I have noticed slide along only one of those scales, except for the Unfallen's final quest reward which let's them do some huge swings, like taking an Ash planet straight to Forest in one go.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I'd like more specific tech bonus targetting via planet types, right now there is really just hot/cold. Planets not specifically one or the other actually feel detrimental, and only really have food production going for them, which can be overcome fairly easily via other techs.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How do you complete the 'Good Life' quest where you're supposed to take a ship of Horatio to a system with 3 free pop spots? I fly them to an eligible system but they just sit there til the quest expires...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Bramble posted:

How do you complete the 'Good Life' quest where you're supposed to take a ship of Horatio to a system with 3 free pop spots? I fly them to an eligible system but they just sit there til the quest expires...

If it's not completing for you it sounds buggy. Mine completes the instant the ship touches one of my non-outpost systems w/ 3 pop slots open

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you open up slots after it is in orbit it doesn't seem to trigger. I left the system and send the ship back and it triggered for me.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

Game balance, but it actually also makes a fair amount of sense.

1. Hostile environments push innovation to survive and maximize resources. See all the random day-to-day innovations in everything from nutrition to firehouses that have filtered out of the space program.

2. Alien environments increase the likelihood of observing phenomena outside the norm.

3. Finally, a lot of advanced physics, chemistry, and engineering applications require such absolutely stable conditions that a frozen wasteland (or the depths of space) are probably the best places to do them.

None of this really applies to EL, where innovation doesn't go much further than a printing press, but... you know.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kanthulhu posted:

Can anyone confirm if ES 2 will run on my laptop? I'm prety sure I have the other requirements matched but I'm not sure about the CPU.

Laptop's CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Will this run the game well enough?

You'll be fine. The game only requires a i3 4th generation, i5 2nd generation. Recommends i3 5th generation, i5 3rd generation. You have an i7 4th generation.
Of course, buying it off steam if it doesn't run well you can just get a refund.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Shab posted:

Yes. If you look closely at the system, the presence of the blue thorny/vine ring indicates whether you can directly vine it or not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Onean posted:

There's two scales for terraforming. Hot > Temperate > Cold and Sterile > Fertile. I haven't payed a lot of attention to terraforming yet, but the ones I have noticed slide along only one of those scales, except for the Unfallen's final quest reward which let's them do some huge swings, like taking an Ash planet straight to Forest in one go.

It's more like there are two lines, the Hot line and the Cold line, that meet up at the top (Temperate). Planets near the top of the lines are Fertile, and planets near the bottom are Sterile. Terraforming always moves from the Sterile end of the line towards the Fertile end, unless you're Riftborn in which case it goes backwards. You can never terraform from Hot to Cold or vice versa.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 23, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sloober posted:

I'd like more specific tech bonus targetting via planet types, right now there is really just hot/cold. Planets not specifically one or the other actually feel detrimental, and only really have food production going for them, which can be overcome fairly easily via other techs.

Temperate planets can hold more population, which is ultimately the most powerful thing a planet can have. Extra food also turns into production once you get Bio-fuel plants, which is probably the single most powerful improvement in the game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Excuse me temperate planets are full of creeping plants and sloshy water and frankly they are disgusting.
_________________________/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strategic Tea posted:

Excuse me temperate planets are full of creeping plants and sloshy water and frankly they are disgusting.

It's me, I'm the one who liked to terraform every defeated enemy race's homeworld into a volcanic hellscape or frozen wasteland in ES1.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

It's me, I'm the one who liked to terraform every defeated enemy race's homeworld into a volcanic hellscape or frozen wasteland in ES1.

When I transitioned to end game I would find my one system with 5-6 decent sized worlds that had been agricultural paradises.

And then I would planet crack those fuckers into lava worlds and turn their little Gardens of Eden into industrial forge worlds form hell to make my fleets.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

did the beta patch fix the horrific slowdown post turn 100? because goddamn thats so frustrating

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

There are actually Temperate Sterile planets that the Riftborn like. Well, Toxic. Which is weird because Toxic is clearly covered in life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I spent way too long making this stupid planet chart:

I was going to add lines showing how things terraform, but that gets really cluttered really fast. Basically you can only terraform either up or towards the center.

Edit: Fixed the chart, not sure why I thought Monsoon was Sterile?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 24, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

How do the unfallen terraforming quest tech things work? I couldn't find anything about it, which seems to be a running theme whenever I try to google info.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Riftborn are the best faction.

gently caress these scottish trees of friendship though, they are pure cunts. gently caress off with your swirly vine poo poo off my sterile planets.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah the Riftborn are totally resonating with me, not even just mechanically.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Goons are attracted to a faction of autistic sentient shapes.

Makes. Sense.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
YOU'RE a shape!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Can you rotate the galaxy map?

NmareBfly posted:

There's no way to waypoint / force ships to take a direct path not through starlanes, right? My current game has a really tasty looking system that is hanging out in the void relatively close to an opponent's home world and my colony ship really wants to fly through the homeworld first which just ends up in another forced retreat.

You can sorta micromanage by clicking on the star lanes rather than the star itself but I couldn't click on the wormhole routes for some reason. Anyways, it becomes frustrating when my fleet travels into another faction's system with a fleet sitting in it because, due to wormholes, its technically quicker going on a 3 system detour rather than just taking the direct 4 turn star lane.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 24, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

And everyone knows that Horatio is the gooniest guy around.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Xae posted:

And everyone knows that Horatio is the gooniest guy around.

... Ok you have me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Clarste posted:

Riftborn are set up as the "tall" faction because it does a while to get their colonies establish but once they are they're unstoppable.

from my riftborn game thusfar this doesn't seem to be true at all, a riftborn colony on a high-mineral world (like lavas, which they can colonise at the start) can get up and running really fast. machine embodiment is super cheap for your first few pops and being able to colonise the best production worlds without worrying about food is great