Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Sklar brothers seem to be the savviest negotiators. If anyone does it will be them.

I'm guessing the others just assume that's the way TV advertising works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So did Jimmy go in with the intention of loving Chuck, or do you think he decided in the moment?

The more I think the more I wonder if it was planned... he went in without the policy number, and only gave his last name. And he mentioned the transcripts - which are public records.

We've established that many people (Ex: Paige)are talking - it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that word about the transcript made it to the insurance firm w/o Jimmy's help... Jimmy just gave them a little push.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 23, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
With Jimmy's high-pressure fast talking, I picture a lot of these small-business people not thinking about multiple airings of a single commercial until later.

Of course, someone else, I think, has already pointed out that there would have to be a limit to the amount of air time he can hand out for free. So even if someone thinks to ask about multiple airings, he has that to fall back on. "Hey, come on, man. How much do you expect for free?" Or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's hard to figure out. I think he intended to sweet talk his way out of the insurance. Then she shut him down and he started bringing up the Chuck stuff to get something out of the visit.

Re: The commercial thing. I don't understand why he isn't doing the free airing as a promotion and then get them more airtime at a different slot. I'm guessing he can't get any kind of margin out of buying them more airtime, but that would seem a lot more above board to me. He comes in, offers to shoot a commercial and throw in one free airing in a time slot he has. If they see a bump in business, he will get them more airings or put them in contact with the station. Surely he would be allowed to charge some sort of finders or processing fee for getting them the air time. That seems a lot less shady than "We'll shoot this very specific number of commercials and they will each be aired once during Murder She Wrote." Then he could turn it into an actual business.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I know, I already said that. What I'm asking is why none of his clients are bringing up why he wants to film multiple commercials and only airing them once.

I got the sense that once Jimmy actually showed up and started pitching the super saver platinum value package, the clients realized how desperate and fly-by-night he was -- they didn't want to be in further business with him, they just wanted to politely finish up the shoot and be done with him.

Cojawfee posted:

Re: The commercial thing. I don't understand why he isn't doing the free airing as a promotion and then get them more airtime at a different slot.

He's desperate for cash to maintain his personal and professional relationship with Kim, to maintain any semblance of a life. He can't hand out freebies because then he can't pay his crew. He can't plan something more organized because he's stuck at community service all day.

h_double fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 23, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so this is one of the quick cuts from next week, but... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWnRkJgwJfU

I'm thinking that Howard gets wind of what Jimmy did, with regards to the insurance, somehow thinks Kim was involved, and then decides to spray a little 'gently caress YOU' on her deal with MV. Goddammit, Howard!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Jimmy kind of pulled a Chuck there because, realistically, Chuck has no business practicing law and represents a huge liability.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

widunder posted:

hey that was the scary lady from devil's advocate

god dammit i knew that i recognized her from somewhere

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Argus Zant posted:

i've never quite understood how nitroglycerin- something known primarily for being both highly explosive and highly volatile- is used to treat sudden-onset heart conditions

I realize this was a few pages ago, but nitroglycerin undergoes a reaction in the body to turn into nitrous oxide, which causes vasodilation of blood vessels, especially the coronary arteries. So when you're having angina (decreased blood flow to your heart), the vasodilation allows for more blood flow to the heart.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

I realize this was a few pages ago, but nitroglycerin undergoes a reaction in the body to turn into nitrous oxide, which causes vasodilation of blood vessels, especially the coronary arteries. So when you're having angina (decreased blood flow to your heart), the vasodilation allows for more blood flow to the heart.

Nitric oxide

/pedantry

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Welp, I guess I better stop hittin the NOS button when I'm running. it just leads to me falling down and losing a couple hours.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love that Kim's Mesa Verde friend finds Chuck's performance unbelievable.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Couple pages back but

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

The Mesa Verde fuckup happened because important documents were in chuck's unpowered, unsecure house rather than HHM's busy building with security systems and people there round the clock. That IS legal malpractice, all of which he admitted to in court. Hamlin even brought it up before the hearing and Chuck brushed it off.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's also worth noting that throughout the episode, we see Jimmy's confidence and personality failing him over and over again. He can't talk his way into getting his community service hours back, he can't talk his commercial customers into buying any more than the bare minimum (IF that), he can't get a refund on his insurance. He's stuck in limbo between the two ends of what he's good at, being a lawyer and being a conman. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely doing what he's doing to spite Chuck. But I think he's also doing it to prove to himself he still has this ability to draw people in and convince them it's their idea to do exactly what he wants.

Yeah. This, plus Jimmy's defeated, nearly in tears demeanor after shooting the music store commercial for free tell us that at the very least, his initial breakdown with the insurance agent was genuine. He shouldn't have kicked Chuck even further, but under those circumstances, plus the punch to the gut with the %150 increase, I can totally understand why he would be compelled to do it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

So did Jimmy go in with the intention of loving Chuck, or do you think he decided in the moment?

The more I think the more I wonder if it was planned... he went in without the policy number, and only gave his last name. And he mentioned the transcripts - which are public records.

From a direction perspective, it was so that it could establish to the audience that Chuck was insured in the same company that Jimmy was, something that he could have obviously known but not us. I really think that it was an improvisation.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Kim having regrets about Chuck while Jimmy still wants to put the boots to him is a good source of tension. It's going to be so sad to watch Jimmy and Kim drift apart because Jimmy lets his hate for Chuck overtake his love for Kim.

Kim getting triggered by the Mesa Verde lawyer making fun of Chuck was a great scene.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy knows more about what the consequences for this will be than I do, but while I could justify this by being like "well, Chuck's own logic suggests that the sacredness of the legal profession requires the proper channels to be informed of attorney's liabilities." And Chuck is in fact mentally ill, completely unwilling to entertain the possibility of a completely natural mistake, and had a fuckin' meltdown in court, so yeah, Jimmy's done nothing wrong." But, well, that's Chuck's logic. And Jimmy obviously isn't doing it for those reasons, whether or not it was impulsive.

I just hope Kim makes it out okay.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm gonna need a gif or clip or something of the scramble of the film kids trying to all get in the car.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm gonna need a gif or clip or something of the scramble of the film kids trying to all get in the car.

I love how the boom mic guy just dangles it out the window.

Also, lol at how those scenes were comical, but in the preview it was cut as if it was a tense scene of Jimmy and friends trying to escape something.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://gfycat.com/InferiorSpryIndigowingedparrot

Don't worry I took care of it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

Jimmy kind of pulled a Chuck there because, realistically, Chuck has no business practicing law and represents a huge liability.

Going behind somebody's back to take them down is HHM's modus operandi, only difference is they would have twisted the knife with a cordial, smug smile. Just like they did to Kim to poach the Mesa Verde account, just like Chuck did to keep Jimmy in the mail room.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I like what others have said re: attempting to scrute the instrutable Mike and the empty suit.

I would hazard that there is a healthy dash of memento mori in there as well. Mike has forsaken his former life and career by killing two cops. Everything he had built his world on and around is a sham now, as empty/discarded/meaningless as a dead man's suit. He is adrift in much the same way Jimmy and Walt find/found themselves, at a crossroads looking for directions. Rather than going quietly into the night, so to speak, retiring and being buried in his old uniform, I feel as if Mike is increasingly finding the resolve to bury the old him and find a new identity. His uniform may be empty, but Mike isn't dead (yet). Rather than holding onto the past, Mike is engaging in the catharsis of renewal, just like the widowed woman he spoke with had by throwing out old clothes.

e. shedding skin

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 23, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It seems like Chuck is insured as an individual rather than HHM having a policy that covers the entire firm, but I wonder if Chuck being considered a higher risk would affect Howard as well.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

I think that seeing Insurance Lady busily scribbling notes when Jimmy talks about Chuck and then sidestepping questions is a pretty clear indication that we're to think that Chuck's rates could go shooting up. But if the insurance folks look more closely into the matter and think it looks bad enough, is there a possibility that they could just cancel his policy altogether?

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah. This, plus Jimmy's defeated, nearly in tears demeanor after shooting the music store commercial for free tell us that at the very least, his initial breakdown with the insurance agent was genuine. He shouldn't have kicked Chuck even further, but under those circumstances, plus the punch to the gut with the %150 increase, I can totally understand why he would be compelled to do it.

Also maybe loving Chuck is not so much revenge as a cruel but effective answer to Jimmy's money problems - the plan could be that Chuck is so discredited that HHM have to buy him out, giving a mentally ill man a fortune that his brother could get his hands on through power of attorney, or even at worst by inheritance if Chuck has to take an unexpected trip to Belize courtesy of Mike (just a thought)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rexides posted:

From a direction perspective, it was so that it could establish to the audience that Chuck was insured in the same company that Jimmy was, something that he could have obviously known but not us. I really think that it was an improvisation.
It could be both really. Asking to look him up by name could absolutely be a first step to set up Chuck by crying about how his poor brother, Chuck, who we just saw in the customer list, is crazy. Otherwise it's quite strange to go negotiating your contract and not have any documents with you. But I have to say that in the actual scene it looked like this plan only kicked in when he heard the 150%.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To add to the point of Chuck not disclosing his illness for the good of the sacredness of the law, uo until he called Dr Cruz (which we're still not sure why), in his mind, he's totally fit to litigate ('fitigate'). Why would he think he's endangering the very system he holds so dearly?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It could be both really. Asking to look him up by name could absolutely be a first step to set up Chuck by crying about how his poor brother, Chuck, who we just saw in the customer list, is crazy. Otherwise it's quite strange to go negotiating your contract and not have any documents with you. But I have to say that in the actual scene it looked like this plan only kicked in when he heard the 150%.

I really like this scene because the more I think about it the more the way it plays out on screen seems ambiguous to me. It's certainly plausible that he brought up Chuck spontaneously after a genuine breakdown, but the whole visit being a setup is also plausible to me given how intricate Jimmy's schemes have been in the past. The viewer is left to decide whether to give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt as to whether this is a spiteful spur of the moment or if it was his plan all along. Either way, it shows that Jimmy is really getting comfortable crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed: going after Chuck right now has no benefit beyond raw vengeance. I felt scammed just watching the scene, and am probably going to mindfully refuse to implicitly trust Jimmy for the rest of the show.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 24, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, I think that's where it kicked in. He's already spent God only knows how much time on the phone with no satisfaction, trying to see if he could get a refund. So they set that up as a legit motivation for him to come to the office in person. Even if he understands it's not a realistic expectation, he's probably thinking that it's a lot of money, so why not take a shot at it? The exchange with Insurance Lady is carefully constructed to get Chuck's name out in the open as a client, but I don't think it's unreasonable for him to expect them to be able to look them up by name. Maybe they'd want to see ID, but he would have a driver's license on him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know, I think it's perfectly in keeping with Jimmy's character to not bother to bring any information with him, since they can just look him up by name and have it all at their fingertips. This is Jimmy we're talking about, if there's a shortcut he'll take it, no matter the situation.

(Pretty scintillating discussion, huh?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't think anything this week, or this year, could top the Twin Peaks return but the last 10 minutes of this episode might have topped everything. Amazing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

Pfft insurers have a million and one avenues to justify raising premiums or cancelling policies.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I thought this was cute (BB spoilers if you're a lunatic)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RentACop posted:

I thought this was cute (BB spoilers if you're a lunatic)

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cnut the Great posted:

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.

Huell really took the prequel idea to heart though. Seriously good on him.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, Jonathan Banks maybe moreso, despite the Mike joke there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Huell really took the prequel idea to heart though. Seriously good on him.

In that vein, shout out to Max Arciniega as Krazy-8:

That's unreal.

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, Jonathan Banks maybe moreso, despite the Mike joke there.

I've been saying the same thing in the past, but going back and watching recently....eh, going from "mean old gently caress" to "even older mean old gently caress" isn't as jarring a change as I thought. The biggest disconnect is his first appearance in BB before he was really Mike, where Banks plays him with noticeably more energy and personality than the laconic, lethargic-yet-lethal Mike that he eventually settled into.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 24, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dongicus posted:

This season owns.

Tell me about it. I wasn't really feeling season 2 and felt like it was a mis-step and just treading water, but they've more than made up for it with how much ground they managed to cover in just half of season 3.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I loved how Jimmy stole the community service guy's "I could make it 0" line and used it on the delivery boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there any chance that the insurance company looks at the transcript of the Bar hearing, sees Jimmy got a bad shake, and jacks up his rates by something less than 150%?

It doesn’t have to be a good chance. Jimmy would throw Chuck under the bus for a 0.01% chance.

• Locked thread