Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Raylen posted:

Now that the White House has released it's proposed budget, I wonder how many Trump voters are now going to see what Trump is as just another political huckster. But then the cynical side of me realizes that most of them are too stupid to understand the realities of these bills and are so focused on stupid poo poo like deporting Mexicans and building THAT GATDANG WALL.

You are assuming that Trump core is motivated by something other than vile racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

highme posted:

I thought it was pretty funny when I visited my parents back in March they had MSNBC on pretty much all of the time and my dad wouldn't stop gushing about Rachel.
Can I have your parents?

Being queer with Fox News parents was... fraught.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

voltroon posted:

It's from the CSPAM thread

makes sense. there was a FYAD meme about orbs a while back so i wondered if :orb: was a holdover from that

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my dad is a big liberal although i'm working on radicalizing him with communist facebook memes and he watches fox news religiously, but mostly to like throw poo poo at the tv

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Let's Play, Watergate! - The Game

Rankings:
  • S: Impeachment + Removal Ending

• A: Resignation: President Nixon Ending

• B: Impeachment: President Johnson Ending

• C: Impeachment: President Clinton Ending

• D: Censure / No Impeachment: Bad Ending

• F: Nothing! President Obama Ending. You've completed your term in office. Enjoy your vacation in the South Pacific.

Rules:

Indictment: 3 Indictments are required to unlock Guilty Plea, Conviction Side Quests

Subpoena: Subpoena is required to unlock Impeachment Endgame

Awards:

Ham Sandwich Award: Complete all Indictment Side Quests

Elliot Ness Award: Complete all Plea Bargain Side Quests

"When the President Does It, It's Not Illegal" Award: Complete all Conviction Side Quests

Vice President Mini Game
Choose the Next President: October 10, 1973, Spiro Agnew resigns as Vice President of the United States due to corruption while he was the governor of Maryland.

Watergate!
June 17, 1972: The White House Plumbers are arrested at 2:30 a.m. in the process of burglarizing and planting surveillance bugs in the Democratic National Committee offices at the Watergate Building Complex.

• June 20, 1972: Deep Throat - Reportedly based on a tip from Deep Throat (associate director of the FBI, Mark Felt), Bob Woodward reports in the Washington Post that one of the burglars had E. Howard Hunt in his address book and possessed checks signed by Hunt, and that Hunt was connected to Charles Colson.
  • June 23, 1972: “Stay the hell out of this” - In the Oval Office, H.R. Haldeman recommends to President Nixon that they attempt to shut down the FBI investigation of the Watergate break-in, by having CIA Director Richard Helms and Deputy Director Vernon A. Walters tell acting FBI Director L. Patrick Gray to, "Stay the hell out of this". Haldeman expects Gray will then seek and take advice from Deputy FBI Director Mark Felt, and Felt will obey direction from the White House out of ambition. Nixon agrees and gives the order. The conversation is recorded.
  • September 15, 1972: First Indictment (Indictment Side Quest) - Hunt, Liddy, and the Watergate burglars are indicted by a federal grand jury.
  • January 8, 1973: Plumbers Plead Guilty (Guilty Plea Side Quest) - Five defendants plead guilty as the burglary trial begins. Liddy and James W. McCord Jr. are convicted after the trial.
  • Secret Unlocked! FBI Director fired - You fire the FBI Director. It's a bold strategy. Let's see if it pays off for you.
  • February 28, 1973: New FBI Director - Confirmation hearings begin for confirming L. Patrick Gray as permanent Director of the FBI. During these hearings, Gray reveals that he had complied with an order from John Dean to provide daily updates on the Watergate investigation, and also that Dean had "probably lied" to FBI investigators.
  • March 17, 1973: Pejury - Watergate burglar McCord writes a letter to Judge John Sirica, claiming that some of his testimony was perjured under pressure and that the burglary was not a CIA operation, but had involved other government officials, thereby leading the investigation to the White House.
  • April 6, 1973: We’ve got a rat - White House counsel John Dean begins cooperating with federal Watergate prosecutors.
  • April 27, 1973: New FBI Director - FBI Director L. Patrick Gray resigns after it comes to light that he destroyed files from E. Howard Hunt's safe. William Ruckelshaus is appointed as his replacement.
  • April 30, 1973: Shake Up - Senior White House administration officials Ehrlichman, Haldeman, and Richard Kleindienst resign, and John Dean is fired.
  • May 17, 1973: I’d buy that for a dollar! - The Senate Watergate Committee begins its nationally televised hearings.
  • Secret Unlocked! July 27, 1975: Central Intelligence Agency Hearings (Treason Secret Ending Unlocked!) Church Committee, chaired by Frank Church, commences to investigate foreign and domestic intelligence-gathering activities.
  • May 19, 1973: Special Prosecutor Appointed - Independent special prosecutor Archibald Cox appointed to oversee investigation into possible presidential impropriety.
  • June 3, 1973: Cover 35 Defense - John Dean tells Watergate investigators that he has discussed the cover-up with Nixon at least 35 times.
  • July 13, 1973: “Tapes” - Alexander Butterfield, former presidential appointments secretary, reveals that all conversations and telephone calls in Nixon’s office have been taped since 1971.
  • July 23, 1973: Nixon refuses to turn over presidential tapes to Senate Watergate Committee or the special prosecutor.
  • October 20, 1973: "Saturday Night Massacre" - Nixon orders Elliot Richardson and Ruckleshouse to fire special prosecutor Cox. They both refuse to comply and resign. Robert Bork carries out the order.
  • November 1, 1973: New prosecutor - Leon Jaworski is appointed new special prosecutor.
  • November 17, 1973: “I am not a crook” - Nixon delivers "I am not a crook" speech at a televised press conference at Disney World
  • January 28, 1974: Perjury Plea (Guilty Plea Side Quest) - Nixon campaign aide Herbert Porter pleads guilty to perjury.
  • February 25, 1974: Illegal Campaign Activities Plea (Guilty Plea Side Quest) - Nixon personal counsel Herbert Kalmbach pleads guilty to two charges of illegal campaign activities.
  • March 1, 1974: President Co-conspiracy (Indictment Side Quest) - Nixon is named as an unindicted co-conspirator in an indictment against seven former presidential aides.
  • March 4, 1974: Watergate Seven Indictment (Indictment Side Quest) - Mitchell, Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Colson, Gordon C. Strachan, Robert Mardian, and Kenneth Parkinson are indicted.
  • April 5, 1974: Perjury Conviction (Conviction Side Quest) - Dwight Chapin convicted of lying to a grand jury.
  • April 7, 1974: Perjury Indictment (Indictment Side Quest) - Ed Reinecke, Republican lieutenant governor of California, indicted on three charges of perjury before the Senate committee.
  • April 16, 1974: Tapes subpoena - Special Prosecutor Jaworski issues a subpoena for 64 White House tapes.
  • April 30, 1974: What’s wrong with a transcript? - White House releases edited transcripts of the Nixon tapes, but the House Judiciary Committee insists the actual tapes must be turned over.
  • May 9, 1974: Impeachment (Impeachment End Game) Impeachment hearings begin before the House Judiciary Committee.
  • July 24, 1974: United States v. Nixon - Nixon is ordered to give up tapes to investigators.
  • July 27 to July 30, 1974: Articles of Impeachment (Impeachment End Game) House Judiciary Committee passes Articles of Impeachment.
  • August 1974: Smoking Gun - A previously unknown tape from June 23, 1972 recorded a few days after the break-in documenting Nixon and Haldeman formulating a plan to block investigations is released
  • August 8, 1974: Resignation Speech - Nixon delivers his resignation speech in front of a nationally televised audience.
  • August 9, 1974: Nixon Resigns. Game Over. 813 Days

Current Progress: 8/32 (25%) Day of Presidency: Day 123

quote:

Events completed after Watergate! The Game Officially Ends but are able to be unlocked in game
  • September 3, 1971: "White House Plumbers" Bonus Mission - E. Howard Hunt, G. Gordon Liddy, and others. break into the offices of Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist Lewis Fielding looking for material that might discredit Ellsberg, under the direction of John Ehrlichman or his staff within the White House. This was the Plumbers' first major operation.
  • December 31, 1974: Privacy Act - As a result of Nixon administration abuses of privacy, Privacy Act of 1974 passes into law. Ford is persuaded to veto the bill by Richard Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld; Congress overrides Ford's veto.
  • January 1, 1975: Obstruction of Justice and Perjury Conviction (Conviction Side Quest) - John N. Mitchell, John Ehrlichman and H. R. Haldeman convicted of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and perjury.
  • November 4, 1975: Cleaning House - Ford replaces several Nixon cabinet members in the "Halloween Massacre", engineered by Ford aide Donald Rumsfeld. Richard Cheney, George H. W. Bush and Brent Scowcroft join Ford administration; Rumsfeld becomes Secretary of Defense; Henry Kissinger remains as Secretary of State but not National Security Advisor.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Raylen posted:

Now that the White House has released it's proposed budget, I wonder how many Trump voters are now going to see what Trump is as just another political huckster. But then the cynical side of me realizes that most of them are too stupid to understand the realities of these bills and are so focused on stupid poo poo like deporting Mexicans and building THAT GATDANG WALL.

There is no money at all in the proposed budget for the wall so there is hope.

Hope is a lie

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Raylen posted:

Well of course there isn't. Mexico is going to pay for it. I mean, duh.

They'll find some way to rationalize it. Trump's approval ratings are still absolutely wretched but he's never, ever going to lose his psychotic core. He could pull a mask of and reveal himself to actually be an illegal Mexican immigrant and they'd still find a way to say he's cool and awesome and good.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Today's leak. It's just Trump Is A Bad President not Trump Is The Worst Criminal Of All Time:

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/867155091089960961

This seems like it should be a bigger deal.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/23/trump-called-rodrigo-duterte-to-congratulate-him-on-his-murderous-drug-war-you-are-doing-an-amazing-job/

quote:

IN A PHONE CALL from the White House late last month, U.S. President Donald Trump heaped praise on Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, one of the world’s most murderous heads of state, for doing what Trump called an “unbelievable job” in his war on drugs. Trump offered an unqualified endorsement of Duterte’s bloody extermination campaign against suspected drug dealers and users, which has included open calls for extrajudicial murders and promises of pardons and immunity for the killers.

“You are a good man,” Trump told Duterte, according to an official transcript of the April 29 call produced by the Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs and obtained by The Intercept. “Keep up the good work,” Trump told Duterte. “You are doing an amazing job.”

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNews/status/867164758704836608

"Learning".

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

pokie posted:

You are assuming that Trump core is motivated by something other than vile racism.

Hey there is some misogyny and homophobia as well. They are not all single issue haters.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Lote posted:

Let's Play, Watergate! - The Game

It's like I have an Oculus VR on my face but, like Majora's mask, it's fused to my bones and trapped me in a shadow reality where the world is seemingly coming to an end every day.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this supposed to be bragging? Does he mean this to be impressive? :psyduck:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even without that comical word choice its such a "I MADE POOPY IN THE POTTY!" statement. Like, you're SUPPOSED to be able to govern, you rear end in a top hat. You can't gloat about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder Hannity is the one that canned Chowder on his first Fox News appearance because Chowder called Hannity a RINO.

So yeah he is a true believer and he is a little diva.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Like, death cult fanatics that they are notwithstanding, how could anyone read this statement and think it was a good idea to promote? "We were incompetent, but we're on the road to being less so!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

Is this supposed to be bragging? Does he mean this to be impressive? :psyduck:

paul ryan is a guy whose privatization plan for social security would've ended up with the social security administration owning the entire stock market. he is not a bright individual.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867166277143580673

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Even without that comical word choice its such a "I MADE POOPY IN THE POTTY!" statement. Like, you're SUPPOSED to be able to govern, you rear end in a top hat. You can't gloat about it.

They can never openly admit to being incompetent but simply must spin everything in a positive light.

That is literally the best they can do right now. "Yeah well of course we're making mistakes! We just spent 8 years opposing every single thing the government did. Just forget how much power we had in the 8 years before that. In fact forget those 8 years happened at all with the exception of 9/11/2001. Never forget that. Ever. p.s. Islam sucks lol."

It's so, so blatantly obvious that they didn't expect to actually win the presidency and now have no loving clue what to do. Meanwhile the crazies that resulted from their monkey paw wish that was the Tea Party are running around with a gas can and a match trying to burn the whole thing down while the establishment desperately tries to stop them.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

He tries so hard to frame 'incompetency' in a positive light. :allears:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

paul ryan is a guy whose privatization plan for social security would've ended up with the social security administration owning the entire stock market. he is not a bright individual.

Details on this?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Paul Ryan reminder.

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

He's hogging the weights. rear end in a top hat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BlueBlazer posted:

He's hogging the weights. rear end in a top hat.

Privatizing the weights.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lolin at them bitch calves

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

pokie posted:

Some are probably just really stupid

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Paul Ryan 100% skips leg day

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Some are probably just really stupid

Probably? :raise:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yadoppsi posted:

Details on this?

quote:

It turns out that, if you take 6.4 percent of every worker’s paycheck who participates in this program, you wind up with a whole lot of money. In fact, you wind up with so much money that, if you invest these funds in stocks and bonds, the sheer mass of these investments will eventually push all other investors out of the market. As Dylan Matthews explains, under Ryan’s Social Security plan, “investments in the stock and bond markets would skyrocket such that by 2050, every single stock or bond in the United States would be owned by a Social Security account. This would mean that the portfolio managers at the Social Security Administration would more or less control the entire means of production in the United States.”

https://thinkprogress.org/the-most-overrated-intellect-in-washington-f785dbb48d1b

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Paul Ryan reminder.

I...forgot about these. God the 2012 election was such innocent times.

What the gently caress were they trying to project with this photo shoot anyway? That Paul Ryan is cool? He looks like a creepy goober.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What the gently caress were they trying to project with this photo shoot anyway? That Paul Ryan is cool? He looks like a creepy goober.

What do you think?

My favorite Paul Ryan try-hard thing is still the soup kitchen story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anybody who wears a hat, let alone backwards, to the gym should be immediately crushed.

also do one goddamn squat in your life jfc. got the old man legs so bad surprised his socks aint up to his knees.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Groovelord Neato posted:

A real policy genius!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Learning to learn... to do your job. in only half a year. Outstanding.

Maybe the plan is to make Russia look relatively appealing before the big official selloff

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Don't forget that Paul Ryan got his education via social security benefits because his dad was dead or something

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

theres a will theres moe posted:

Learning to learn... to do your job. in only half a year. Outstanding.

Maybe the plan is to make Russia look relatively appealing before the big official selloff

Canada gets dibs on New York, Washington and Vermont.

Shookies
Aug 17, 2003

A Magic Hand took my Freeze-Gun!!
If the Pope smote Donald Trump and said he did it because God told him to, how would that play with the American Christian base?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shookies posted:

If the Pope smote Donald Trump and said he did it because God told him to, how would that play with the American Christian base?

It's make me start going back to Mass, for one thing. Hell, I might make it a habit of doing the rosary daily.

*EDIT*

That said, you have actual schismatic American Catholics claiming that Francis is not a legit pope because Benedict is still hobbling about. That and batshit crazy Baptists and the like still see the whole institution as a Babylonian death cult built up around a cookie.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 24, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

What a bitch rear end statement. Your party has had horrible approval ratings and the town hall meetings have been disastrous. If anyone is "learning" anything, it is how to blow up our country as we know it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

poo poo, he's actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Canada gets dibs on New York, Washington and Vermont.

Joke's on you - Buffalo comes included in that deal.

• Locked thread