Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiteOutMouse posted:

But the inferno bolter was like -2AP that is also huge. It will melt vehicles with most wounding on 5+ and only giving them a 4+/5+ save, even with a cover bonus.

It can be dangerous to see things in a vacuum. Did we even get rules for those WAPRFLAME flamers?

I am hopeful as we wait for the full release.
The Thousand Sons' flamers are -2AP like their bolters.

To me, that's a straight-up upgrade for free and that's why I don't like the Power system. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yeah, the whole power system seems horribly basic in terms of balance , and is the absolute last way I'd want to play with hobby store randos. Matched FTW

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

But the inferno bolter was like -2AP that is also huge. It will melt vehicles with most wounding on 5+ and only giving them a 4+/5+ save, even with a cover bonus.

It can be dangerous to see things in a vacuum. Did we even get rules for those WAPRFLAME flamers?

I am hopeful as we wait for the full release.

The flamers are the same S4 and Ap-2 as the inferno bolters. Just with 8 inch range and d6 auto hits.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yeah, the whole power system seems horribly basic in terms of balance , and is the absolute last way I'd want to play with hobby store randos. Matched FTW

Power levels are literally beerhammer points. If you're playing a total stranger - or worse, sober - they're not meant for you.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Cant even imagine this tbh

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

xtothez posted:

Power levels are literally beerhammer points. If you're playing a total stranger - or worse, sober - they're not meant for you.

I only play people I know, and I never play sober.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How many of you played unbound? That should answer how many of you will play 'power system' games or whatever

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The Thousand Sons' flamers are -2AP like their bolters.

To me, that's a straight-up upgrade for free and that's why I don't like the Power system. :shobon:

Yeah it basically boils down to "who are you playing against". I might play with the Power system once for the first game with just "Okay whatever models we have at whatever reasonable power points that is, and WYSIWYG" just to speed up trying the new rules out.

It's absolutely terrible for most of the people playing this game currently that I'm aware of, because even if you aren't a POWERGAMER you are still going to at least want to win and want to take the cool things that do the damage.

It might be an OK system for getting new players to try the game quicker, which somewhat benefits most of us because it hopefully benefits the health of the hobby, but really it doesn't mean poo poo for gameplay for us directly.

One thing I'm curious about is: how easy is it to play without the extra stuff besides the core rules? In 7th, I caved and bought the core book because there is SO MANY special rules in the list in the back. If it's just force orgs and mission types, frankly a lot of that stuff is going to be dumped on a reference card online or baked into BattleScribe or whatever.

It would obviously be much better if they actually just released all the drat rules for free and sold the book to people who want fluff and a nice physical copy but it might not be so necessary as we might think.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

What if told you that I am capable of calculating simple math while drunk?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Build lists sober, play games drunk

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

S.J. posted:

Here here. I'll drink to that.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

S.J. posted:

This is wisdom.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

S.J. posted:

Can this be the thread title?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Whiskey and Warhammer is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. That dude's harlequin was stuck in the wall for like 2 weeks

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Yeah. Checks out.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

S.J. posted:

Always neat to find a new thread title

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So if I'm reading the thread right, the prevailing (but unconfirmed) belief is that the free "core" rules, combined with the data slates, will be enough information to play but not represent the full experience of 40K? And that the only way to get that full experience is to buy both the rulebook and the respective army book, thus paying potentially $100 for what other game companies give for free?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

No it's confirmed now.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I'm reading the thread right, the prevailing (but unconfirmed) belief is that the free "core" rules, combined with the data slates, will be enough information to play but not represent the full experience of 40K? And that the only way to get that full experience is to buy both the rulebook and the respective army book, thus paying potentially $100 for what other game companies give for free?

Sounds right.

Privateer Press for example has their rulebook free but all the point costs and model rules you have to pay for, either through their app or buy buying the model cards, and has army theme forces that you can either get by buying on their app or buying their army books or magazine.

I mean, everyone just pirates it anyway like 40k codexes and it'll all be available to you if you want it, but to legitly have the model and army rules in WMH you have to pay for them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Well, not after their PDF library goes up. All the cards will be available for free then. There's also no 3rd party restrictions anymore as long as they aren't charging, so you can get 3rd party apps for free, like WHAC.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

*spends money on his hobby*

Hi haters :)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mods

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:same:

I spend A LOT of money on this hobby. And I am happy to continue to pay to support it, so long as it remains cool, and good.

Hail Hydra GW

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
What other games give away the entirety of their rules for free?

Off the top of my head I can think of Infinity and I think KoW?

Or did that stop with the playtest rules?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'm basically buying all that new stuff, I don't see the issue, poors shouldn't play this game.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I swear half the people who post in this thread have never played a real life game of anything

Didn't Pawl cop to not having played 40k before, despite having some of the strongest OpinionsTM about how awesome 8th is gonna be? lol

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Didn't Pawl cop to not having played 40k before, despite having some of the strongest OpinionsTM about how awesome 8th is gonna be? lol

Yes, but he's played AoS, so it's cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Depending on what they have in them I would probably buy the rules. I don't see much of a reason to preorder though.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What other games give away the entirety of their rules for free?

Off the top of my head I can think of Infinity and I think KoW?

Or did that stop with the playtest rules?

Infinity, Warmachine, Dark Age at least.

Dark Age dudes actually give you a free rulebook if you exchange an old copy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Guild Ball does afaik too, Knight Models games, I think Malifaux does

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The marketing was probably misleading on the free 'core rules' which hurts new players the most. For us older players it's no surprise you need to buy the rules everyone will use to play the game. Your best bet as a new player is either parting out the box set or waiting a few weeks after launch and grab a copy on ebay. That's the way it's been for a long time.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yes, but he's played AoS, so it's cool.

But he works for GW, so he knows better than you

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

hell even old GW released smaller, cheaper versions of the 6th and 7th ed rulebooks

Not 7th.

The small book was bundled in with the starter set and Kill Team.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

chutche2 posted:

Sounds right.

Privateer Press for example has their rulebook free but all the point costs and model rules you have to pay for, either through their app or buy buying the model cards, and has army theme forces that you can either get by buying on their app or buying their army books or magazine.

I mean, everyone just pirates it anyway like 40k codexes and it'll all be available to you if you want it, but to legitly have the model and army rules in WMH you have to pay for them.

Yeah, but $8 or whatever for an entire army's rules, forever, in warmachine, vs $20 for a book that you get to buy again next year.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, but $8 or whatever for an entire army's rules, forever, in warmachine, vs $20 for a book that you get to buy again next year.

Most codexes are 40-50 dollars. Marine ones are like 58 a lot of the time.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

But he works for GW, so he knows better than you

Still reckon he's a Carl alt.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

Most codexes are 40-50 dollars. Marine ones are like 58 a lot of the time.

I meant for 8th ed, where the yearly army book thingy is supposed to be like $20 now?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Battlefront also exchanges old rulebooks for new

Malifaux sells $10 rulebooks

Also a lot of these companies understand real exchange rates

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spacegoat posted:

Still reckon he's a Carl alt.

Awww poo poo. They also both regularly wear hats :tinfoil:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I meant for 8th ed, where the yearly army book thingy is supposed to be like $20 now?

We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

Awww poo poo. They also both regularly wear hats :tinfoil:

I'm not following...

• Locked thread