Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

Awww poo poo. They also both regularly wear hats :tinfoil:

I refuse to believe that more than one person can consistently hold such terrible opinions.

edit: poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Where were you like 3+ days ago? I requested this specific image. Doesn't matter, you're here now. You delivered and that's what counts.

:patriot:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What other games give away the entirety of their rules for free?

Off the top of my head I can think of Infinity and I think KoW?

Or did that stop with the playtest rules?

Ironically KoW has a virtually identical system as to what's being rumored for 40k, where there's a free rules PDF but a fancy expensive rule book that includes things like magic items for your characters to take.

Battlefront, Warlord and Hawk all charge for rulebooks. Charging for rulebooks is pretty much universal in historicals too.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Was that in the middle of battle cannon probability chat? Cause I skipped like 5 pages there.

I think I figured out what I don't like about the Nurgle stuff and the newer GW aesthetic in general. There's not really a lot of room to customise or convert anything. In addition to being so busy they have all this extraneous detail built in to the sculpt. Kinda like how they went through that period of not drawing anything that wasn't represented by or posed like a miniature you could buy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What other games give away the entirety of their rules for free?

Off the top of my head I can think of Infinity and I think KoW?

Or did that stop with the playtest rules?

Malifaux.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

spacegoat posted:

Kinda like how they went through that period of not drawing anything that wasn't represented by or posed like a miniature you could buy.

Aren't they still in that period?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Isn't the main reason other sci-fi war games give their rules away because they are trying to eat away at 40k customer base? GW doesn't need give their rules away for free because they already have a big player base (which in itself attracts new players) and also have a much larger library of high quality plastic models than any of those games.

chutche2 posted:

Aren't they still in that period?

In the preview video for the rule book showed a pretty cool piece that was a space marine that was half space marine half chaos space marine. Not really enough to suggest they are beyond that but it was still pretty cool

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Floppychop posted:

Not 7th.

The small book was bundled in with the starter set and Kill Team.

It got sold on its own and it was bundled with Dark Vengeance, Kill Team, Sanctus Reach, and Death Masque

e: Also, and I know this isn't connected to GW but it's certainly a real thing you can use--ebay still exists

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 24, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Ironically KoW has a virtually identical system as to what's being rumored for 40k, where there's a free rules PDF but a fancy expensive rule book that includes things like magic items for your characters to take.

Battlefront, Warlord and Hawk all charge for rulebooks. Charging for rulebooks is pretty much universal in historicals too.

Fancy expensive, like, 15-20 dollar rulebook?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Mantic got HAMMERED when KoW launched because they said the rules would be free, but actually it was just a subset of the rules. Like this exact same thing happened.

Historicals I can see charging for rulebooks - a lot of those companies don't produce minis or people can use other companies minis.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Charging for rulebooks is pretty much universal in historicals too.
That's because for many historicals, the companies don't (also) sculpt/sell miniatures. Their game is the product. qv TooFatLardies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muggins posted:

Also a lot of these companies understand real exchange rates

They understand it, they talked about how much this policy was benefiting their bottom line in their last earnings report.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Are there any modern historicals anyway

Like I feel all the historicals made their rules in the 70s and 80s and just keep reprinting it with minor changes

At a local convention I went to recently two old grogs brought this giant loving Alamo table for a battle of the alamo historical

edit: I forgot about Flames of War, I guess that's a historical. But to me "historicals" are games that two old men have set up in one of their basements where they spend a few weekends a year for the last decade re enacting the same battle

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 24, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

chutche2 posted:

Like I feel all the historicals made their rules in the 70s and 80s and just keep reprinting it with minor changes

At a local convention I went to recently two old grogs brought this giant loving Alamo table for a battle of the alamo historical

edit: I forgot about Flames of War, I guess that's a historical. But to me "historicals" are games that two old men have set up in one of their basements where they spend a few weekends a year for the last decade re enacting the same battle

Lots of historical rulesets are more modern than 7th edition Warhammer, lol. Hell, even 8th Edition doesn't yet have alternating activation.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bolt Action has a really awesome alternating activation system. I should play more of that.

GW seems to understand that modern games have some form of alternating activations, but rather than go whole hog and build a game around it, they just kind of mash it in in the assault phase and call it good.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm rolfing at all the people complaining about rule-book prices in a hobby composed of ginormo nerds that probably pirate the PDF the second it pops up on some sketchy Russian website

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

chutche2 posted:

Quite a few, actually. And some of them are really, really good. Though it has randomly alternating activations, I'm not a huge fan of Bolt Action. But I'll fight anybody who doesn't think Chain of Command's activation system is a thing of loving beauty.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I used to play against a guy who turned 15 and immediately updated his guard to be a bunch of up gunned cannabis growers complete with psychadelic armour and paint jobs on their vehicles. It should have been poo poo but it loving ruled.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ilor posted:

Quite a few, actually. And some of them are really, really good. Though it has randomly alternating activations, I'm not a huge fan of Bolt Action. But I'll fight anybody who doesn't think Chain of Command's activation system is a thing of loving beauty.

I love all the Too Fat Lardies games. 40k 8th edition should have just licensed the Sharp Practice 2 ruleset.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I love all the Too Fat Lardies games. 40k 8th edition should have just licensed the Sharp Practice 2 ruleset.
:eyepop: Holy poo poo. That might actually get me to play 40K again.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

I'm rolfing at all the people complaining about rule-book prices in a hobby composed of ginormo nerds that probably pirate the PDF the second it pops up on some sketchy Russian website

especially the people making it out to be like the cost of a rulebook was the ONE THING keeping them from getting back in

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Dreading the dollarydoo price.

Still, I'm going to buy the stupid thing, because I want to play the dumb game.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
95%+ of you goobers would torrent the models if that was even possible

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheChirurgeon posted:

especially the people making it out to be like the cost of a rulebook was the ONE THING keeping them from getting back in

Yeah, if the cost of the rulebook was the lynchpin of your buying decision... you should probably reconsider your hobbies. An $80 rulebook plus a $50 codex is chump change compared to the resin and plastic addiction that follows after it.

Save yourselves!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Guilty.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

Once stereolithography becomes cheap and ubiquitous, you'll be able to (and people will).

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

chutche2 posted:

Sounds right.

Privateer Press for example has their rulebook free but all the point costs and model rules you have to pay for, either through their app or buy buying the model cards, and has army theme forces that you can either get by buying on their app or buying their army books or magazine.

I mean, everyone just pirates it anyway like 40k codexes and it'll all be available to you if you want it, but to legitly have the model and army rules in WMH you have to pay for them.

Well if you consider the miniatures coming with rule cards included as paying for rules, then sure. Theme forces though you're probably right about, I never cared enough about them to really find out.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

We already do bro

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where can I find the rules for additional kill teams for SW:A?

Ilor posted:

Once stereolithography becomes cheap and ubiquitous, you'll be able to (and people will).

Formlabs Form 2.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where can I find the rules for additional kill teams for SW:A?

Formlabs Form 2.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf

One-man army rules, scenarios, and the FAQ here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-pre-order-and-downloadsgw-homepage-post-4/

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Hra Mormo posted:

Well if you consider the miniatures coming with rule cards included as paying for rules, then sure. Theme forces though you're probably right about, I never cared enough about them to really find out.

If you buy them new from a place that is supplied directly by PP, then sure. If not, you're probably getting mk2 cards and will need to replace them. Such as by buying one of the card decks PP sells for $20, or buying the army on their app. Or, if you had an army from the previous edition you'd need to buy a new card deck, and that $20 is about the price of GW's army books. Then you'd need to buy the army book or buy it on their app to use theme forces. Not having to buy the core rules is definitely nice, but you've still got to pay something to use everything beyond just buying your models.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goose willis posted:

I have a space marine jelly mould and after the game I eat my models.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

muggins posted:

Mantic got HAMMERED when KoW launched because they said the rules would be free, but actually it was just a subset of the rules. Like this exact same thing happened.

Historicals I can see charging for rulebooks - a lot of those companies don't produce minis or people can use other companies minis.

I knew I was forgetting a thing with KoW.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thanks!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goose willis posted:

There's one guy at the big chicago store that knows some half price Chinese hookup so yeah that's a thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
At my local GW store, the new models are pretty good. The bigly marines aren't bad, but the Nurgle stuff is very cool. The plague zombie dude is :3:

The Plague Marine and the Nurgle lord are both pretty incredible. They don't seem to be as detail overloaded as the images portray, but the semi-snapfit is a tad worrying.

The Bigly leuitenant has a strange pose. It's like a hip thrust/belly out thing. It looks strange.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

DiHK posted:

There's one guy at the big chicago store that knows some half price Chinese hookup so yeah that's a thing.

Closer to 2/3rds to 3/4 off plus free shipping :smug:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Yeast posted:

Dreading the dollarydoo price.

Still, I'm going to buy the stupid thing, because I want to play the dumb game.

http://livewiregames.co.nz/livewire_en/warhammer-40000-dark-imperium.html

WAS active about 10 mins ago, and the price was $180 NZD for the Boxed set.

Looks like it's been taken down now though...

http://livewiregames.co.nz/livewire_en/box/warhammer-40k.html?cat=1286

yeah they got snapped and had to pull it all

the rulebook was like $80NZD by itself

Sorryformybadjokes fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 24, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

chutche2 posted:

If you buy them new from a place that is supplied directly by PP, then sure. If not, you're probably getting mk2 cards and will need to replace them. Such as by buying one of the card decks PP sells for $20, or buying the army on their app. Or, if you had an army from the previous edition you'd need to buy a new card deck, and that $20 is about the price of GW's army books. Then you'd need to buy the army book or buy it on their app to use theme forces. Not having to buy the core rules is definitely nice, but you've still got to pay something to use everything beyond just buying your models.

Like I said before, that isn't true anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

spacegoat posted:

Kinda like how they went through that period of not drawing anything that wasn't represented by or posed like a miniature you could buy.

never forget

• Locked thread