Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just use Rose's lime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would agree that the classic julep needs a bit more seasoning than you get from just the whiskey and the mint leaves.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's funny, I have been drinking a bit lately for the first time in *years, and whereas before I could drink more or less anything, now I definitely react in certain ways to certain kinds of liquor.

Like I cannot drink Vodka *at all* anymore, not even as part of a mix drink. Vodka tonic or vodka/red-bull was my go-to drink whenever I went to gay bars/clubs back in the day because I wanted to fit in and ordering scotch on the rocks makes you seem like an old man or something, really. But yeah, I even bought a fifth of vodka recently and some Kahlua in part because I wanted to try a proper White Russian again and also because I'm going to a Lebowski party later this month (everyone has to wear a bathrobe, only Js and Caucasians allowed for imbibing... theme parties are silly but fun).

Unfortunately, I found out a few unfortunate things - that I can no longer drink vodka (or at least Stoli, which used to be my standby when I was a young lad and had to buy vodka) because it now gives me horrifically bad heartburn immediately that lasts for an hour at least, so that's no good. I also discovered that (at least after drinking Allens for a while) Kahlua tastes disgustingly sweet and literally like pure sugar. Which uh, is kind of what Rum is, so I suppose that makes sense but I mean... The flavor seems so overwhelmingly sugary-sweet that you can barely even Taste the coffee flavor. It really only works in mix drinks with something like vodka to balance out the unbearable sweetness.

Which brings me to my point about Allens and Milk (which doesn't taste TOO TOO sweet and doesn't give me hangovers and doesn't require vodka to be palatable). I have always been a *huge* fan of iced lattes. In the summer, if I were allowed, I'd probably be like Nancy Botwin on Weeds and never be seen ANYWHERE without an iced coffee I'm sipping from in my left hand. When you get right down to it and cut away the bullshit, I freaking love and adore Allens/Milk because it tastes almost exactly like what a magically alcoholic iced latte from, say, Dunkin' Donuts must taste. I'd to find a higher-brow coffee brandy/liqueur that tastes less like Dunkin Donuts coffee and more like Starbucks, but I ain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Mannn I wanna try some Allen's. Less syrupy Kahlua sounds great

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Halloween Jack posted:

Someone level with me: do chilis actually pair well with tequila and mezcal, or do people mainly combine them because LOL Mexico? I've never really wanted to experiment with chilis and liquor to find out, much less with hot sauce.

I think chilis pair well with lots of things: citrus, ginger, some spirits. A place down the road from me does a highball with banana/vanilla infused rum, lime, and ginger beer. It was so good I started making it at home.

The issue is it takes some practice/effort to get the heat level right. There is a very fine line between a delicious chili heat component, and a completely ruined drink.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of coffee liqueurs, has anyone here tried St. George NOLA coffee liqueur?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

goferchan posted:

Mannn I wanna try some Allen's. Less syrupy Kahlua sounds great

If only there were an easy way to get Kenya Gold. I mean, other than going to Kenya.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ben Nevis posted:

If only there were an easy way to get Kenya Gold. I mean, other than going to Kenya.

Be born in Hawaii?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Speaking of coffee liqueurs, has anyone here tried St. George NOLA coffee liqueur?

Yes, it's really good. Drier & espresso-like.

The gold standard for coffee liquer is Varnelli Caffe Moka imo. The Galliano Ristretto is also good if you want one that's more espresso-like but still sweet,

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Noticed this at my local after all the Allen's talk. I wonder how many times I've looked at this without seeing it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is Fee Brothers Mint Bitters any good? I make a homemade mint syrup for my juleps, but I was considering picking this up just to round things out.

Julep talk: I like a tiny bit of Ango in mine, not classic but good.

Totally classic. Go with god.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm going to be in New York City next weekend.

Two good liquor stores are Astor wines and liquor and the nearby Warehouse liquor. They should have nearly any NY spirits or wine.

For brands, there's quite a few nowadays for local NYC stuff
Whisky - I've had kings county and widow Jane. Both also are nice locations to visit as well (Brooklyn heights/navy yard and red hook respectively) kings county has a chocolate whisky that's a good change of pace, and the also have a ginger strawberry summer moonshine that sounds good.

Also, there's Arcane distilling that does lone wolf whisky using local beers as the base. I'm not sure it's for sale places though. They also make a fernet.

Another option is uncouth vermouth. They are vermouth using different fruits or flavors. Tried a few and have a bottle of the raspberry which is really nice for a slightly different take on vermouth.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

We had a bunch of bottles of uncouth vermouth at my last job that some long-gone person purchased and none of them were labeled. Everything was really tasty but I was stumped when it came to what the flavor was supposed to be for a few of them

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not a Flatliner, this is a Flatliner.

Someone level with me: do chilis actually pair well with tequila and mezcal, or do people mainly combine them because LOL Mexico? I've never really wanted to experiment with chilis and liquor to find out, much less with hot sauce.

I bought a single-village mescal that smells exactly like dried chilis, so there's that. Of course, that was my Christmas present to myself, so I'm not going to be mixing it with actual chilis.

Also spiciness in cocktails is terrible.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Finally got around to purchasing the nicer Boston shakers and an OxO strainer... and the shakers are on back-order and are arriving a week later than the strainer.

A WEEK :kingsley:

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Johnny Truant posted:

Finally got around to purchasing the nicer Boston shakers and an OxO strainer... and the shakers are on back-order and are arriving a week later than the strainer.

A WEEK :kingsley:

Did you get Koriko shakers?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Bandit posted:

Did you get Koriko shakers?

Um, nope! Thread advised me to get these Boston shakers. They look similar to the Koriko shakers though?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Um, nope! Thread advised me to get these Boston shakers. They look similar to the Koriko shakers though?

They look like they fit like Koriko shakers, let us know how they feel. I love the Koriko sets but they cost almost twice as much as what you linked -- I'd love to find a cheaper substitute

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Return em!

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/set-of-two-korikor-weighted-shaking-tins

$17 for a set of Koriko. Perfect seal, easy to pop. I put thousands of cocktails through my work sets and except for some scratches they're as good as new.

Anyways, shakers aside, what is everyone using in their kits?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Bandit posted:

Return em!

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/set-of-two-korikor-weighted-shaking-tins

$17 for a set of Koriko. Perfect seal, easy to pop. I put thousands of cocktails through my work sets and except for some scratches they're as good as new.

Anyways, shakers aside, what is everyone using in their kits?

*$30, because Koriko's shipping and handling is a loving scam

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

$24 if you buy them as a set through Amazon, but yeah, about a quarter of that is still shipping fees.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

A coffee shop near here became a retailer for Cocktail Kingdom stuff and it's dope because they sell stuff at the same price as online without any shipping and handling. You're in DC right? I imagine there must be somewhere near you doing the same deal if there's a place in my little town of 90k people

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

check out this sick fuckin cup

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I made Regents Punch for a Eurovision party today, and holy poo poo it was delicious. It was also surprisingly strong and got my friends and I drunk by 2:30 in the afternoon.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Based on this thread I picked up the stuff for a Last Word (and coincidentially a Final Ward) today and holy poo poo, I've been missing out. That's some seriously great stuff, especially the Final Ward.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hutla posted:

I made Regents Punch for a Eurovision party today, and holy poo poo it was delicious. It was also surprisingly strong and got my friends and I drunk by 2:30 in the afternoon.

Regent's Punch is a pro move, congratulations! It's a lot of work but man it's good.

I wrote a 3000 word essay for a friend of mine who requested a punch recipe. I included some of my originals, but I realize I've never developed anything super elaborate. I should work on that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It occurred to me that I haven't seen much (any?) mention here of East Asian spirits like shochu or baijiu. I have no experience with them, but it sounds like they're pretty varied. Some of them must have cocktail applications, right? Are there any particular brands or varieties worth checking out?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

It occurred to me that I haven't seen much (any?) mention here of East Asian spirits like shochu or baijiu. I have no experience with them, but it sounds like they're pretty varied. Some of them must have cocktail applications, right? Are there any particular brands or varieties worth checking out?

I made a punch this week using Mizu Shochu as the primary spirit. It's good stuff and reminds me a lot of blended whiskies. Mizu is a Barley/Rice blend, but within the style of "Shochu" the flavor varies depending on what it's made from and how. What you can do with it will depend on what you can get your hands on.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Anyone has a sweet reciepe for a good ginger syrup? I have this "ginger and hops ale syrup" that is just too good but expensive. I don't care much for the hops part (there's no bitterness at all, just fruity/flowery flavours).
Is something like this alright http://www.davidlebovitz.com/fresh-ginger-syrup-recipe/
Anything cool I could/should add if I'm gonna make moscow mules

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 22, 2017

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

KingColliwog posted:

Anyone has a sweet reciepe for a good ginger syrup? I have this "ginger and hops ale syrup" that is just too good but expensive. I don't care much for the hops part (there's no bitterness at all, just fruity/flowery flavours).
Is something like this alright http://www.davidlebovitz.com/fresh-ginger-syrup-recipe/

Add gin and mint.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

I've incidentally made ginger syrup almost just like that while making candied ginger. It was really just simmering ginger in sugar water.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

Anyone has a sweet reciepe for a good ginger syrup?

If you have a juicer the best way I've found is to juice a bunch of fresh ginger root and dissolve sugar in that. I'm not an advocate of heating it, or any syrups, but just spinning it in the blender is capable of dissolving it up 2:1. It lasts quite a while in the refrigerator, especially if you add a splash of vodka, but it will lose some intensity over time. Now you can use that in dark and stormy or mules or whatever ginger beer cocktails you like by just adding seltzer water. It's also a great way to add an interesting dimension to punches by replacing some or all of the simple.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

The Hebug posted:

Add gin and mint.

sounds delicious

Ben Nevis posted:

I've incidentally made ginger syrup almost just like that while making candied ginger. It was really just simmering ginger in sugar water.

And I love candied ginger. Sounds like a 2 birds 1 stone sort of deal

tonedef131 posted:

If you have a juicer the best way I've found is to juice a bunch of fresh ginger root and dissolve sugar in that. I'm not an advocate of heating it, or any syrups, but just spinning it in the blender is capable of dissolving it up 2:1. It lasts quite a while in the refrigerator, especially if you add a splash of vodka, but it will lose some intensity over time. Now you can use that in dark and stormy or mules or whatever ginger beer cocktails you like by just adding seltzer water. It's also a great way to add an interesting dimension to punches by replacing some or all of the simple.

no juicer but a blender powerful enough to turn carrots into smooth "juice" might have to try that.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 23, 2017

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Vitamix(or other serious blender)
1 lb ginger, chopped roughly
5 cup water
5 cup white sugar(demerara for a richer taste)
Blend, strain solids
Keeps a couple weeks, yields 2 quarts

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I'm a fan of peeling, blending, and straining (squeeze the poo poo out of the pulp to get all the juice out). Takes longer but worth it. Use the edge of a spoon to peel the ginger. Also try using honey instead of sugar. Makes for a great penicillin.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I find that peeling makes little to no difference and is labor and time intensive

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The Bandit posted:

I find that peeling makes little to no difference and is labor and time intensive

Interesting. Glad to know. I definitely don't peel it when I infuse liquor, so it makes sense.

In other news, I pitted 8 lbs of cherries yesterday and now have 5 bottles of cherry bourbon going. Gonna let em go for a month or so, tasting. Pull the cherries and let them sit in Demerara sugar to get all that tasty juice out. Anybody have good cherry recipes?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah maybe I'm lazy but after making ginger syrup at scale for a bar I have concluded that peeling just isn't worth it . Maybe if you're just making a quart of syrup or something you can try peeled and unpeeled and see if you like it better but IMO you're getting very little return on your time investment and peeling ginger while trying to minimize waste just fuckin sucks

edit: btw i absolutely endorse the "purée with water and sugar and optionally citrus juice, then strain through cheesecloth" method as opposed to just boiling chunks of ginger in sugar and water. the flavor is gonna be different and the ginger burn is gonna be a lot more intense & concentrated though so don't be surprised if you test out recipes using ginger syrup made using the latter method and they're totally undrinkable -- you're gonna have to adjust to taste but in the long run it's a much more efficient way of doing it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 24, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dear thread, please give me a tequila drink where I can just decide if I don't like it, I don't like tequila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Dear thread, please give me a tequila drink where I can just decide if I don't like it, I don't like tequila.

Well, the margarita is about as iconic as it gets.

1.5 oz tequila blanco
.75 oz Cointreau
.75 oz lime juice
dash of simple syrup

Shake and serve over ice in a salt-rimmed Old Fashioned glass.