Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Dewp posted:

I'm playing as Dewp for the past couple of days, it's really fun except me and my friend are trying to get Bard for him and that's kinda annoying. I'm 15 fire magic/unarmed right now, at least until I can get Mentalism to replace unarmed. Trying to stay off the wiki and stuff as much as possible but it is tough sometimes.

I really hope they make some quality of life improvements so people aren't checking the Wiki because it really does ruin the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I keep hearing that the UI overhaul is "soon" and some of it is coming in this next patch. Rumor has it, this week. We'll see what it's got other than brewing and serbule graphics updates.

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
I'm Druid/Fire magic right now at like 15/23.

What's the deal with Druids being able to shift between human/animal form though? I seemingly cant do it yet. Can it only be done with deer/crow once I learn them? I was hoping to do it with pig/spider/cow or whatever, spider seemed coolest though. If those forms are permanent even for Druids then I may find a different skill to pair with it, fire magic is cool but really destroys my power.

Also we got some fire shield potions which make you godlike for 1 hour, made farming exp very easy since a lot of mobs would just kill themselves by hitting you.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Druid gets Deer form at 25. It's really it's own class with levels, skills, and gear requirements. Stay in deer form for 3+ hours in a row and you'll stop smelling like a human so animal town will talk to you. If you like hunting in Sun Vale as much as I do, this is a good thing since it opens a ton of vendor and storage options. Also, Raul, but he's more interested in cows.

At 50, druid gets Raven form which still retains druid skills but allows you to fly at the expense of power drain while flying. You can still use your druidy skills but they only do 1/10th the damage you would normally. It also comes with some damage mitigation so things like flying through Kur aren't as harsh.

Cow is a permanent animal form that you get by dying to the cow under the Rubywall crystal north of Serb. You can also remove it by killing that same boss. That's trivial at around 30 so it's possible to remove it when you need to talk to someone who won't speak to animals and then go back into the dungeon and get it back again. Hooves don't allow for most weapon types so you're limited in your skill choices. No hammer or sword, for example, but wooden horse cow shoes allow for things like Druid with no problem. Cow is very tanky and I had a lot of fun with it. I still have an alt that I keep as a cow in full cow armor that I like to run around in to confuse the newbies. It also has the best (non flying) movement buff in the game so that's another reason I like it so much.

Spider is another permanent form but you can only get it and cure it by juice which can only be bought (at no small expense) from a cursed spider deep in the Crypts. It's a high DPS class that excels with dots and pets but it's pretty squishy. Pairs very well with Animal Handling for that very reason. Very few NPCs will talk to you but it's fun to make them run in terror as you scurry up.

Pig is maybe half way between spider and cow. High burst damage and stuns. I liked the old model better than the new one. Seeing your butt / tail swirl every few seconds just creeps me out for some reason. It'd be fine if it was just the tail that moved but it's like a circle the side of a paper plate on your butt just decides to twist around to make the tail wiggle an bit. Still, you get to wear an amazing hat and have the best dance animations in the game. Easily gotten into via pig juice and out again with un-pig juice. 3k a pop but can drop from pigs if you're cheap or need the extra cash.

Werewolf is the opposite of Druids. They're rivals. You can be one or the other. I don't have a werewolf but I gather it's a very polarizing class with many drawbacks but several boons if you can deal with being locked into wolf mode for 3 real life days every full moon. You'll always know when it's a full moon because there's more wolves than average just hanging out at the Serbule well passing the time and howling.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm both a druid and a werewolf :smugdog:

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was hoping to switch between spider and 'human' freely so that's too bad. I'll mess around with deer and cow then soon, should be almost strong enough.

I was a pig for a while, but didn't get too far with it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, you can be both a Druid and werewolf. I'm both and think it's pretty fun. The only real drawback to werewolf is there's no way to go back so if you don't like it you're not going to have a very fun full moon.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. Good old grandfather clause. Eric set a flag a while back so people would have to pick and gave some lore reasons. People who had it before are unaffected. Just like those of us who forked out half a million councils to level up Battle Chemistry didn't need to get Alchemy 50 first. Whew!

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
There is a special event buff going on that gives you 50% run speed out of combat. It doesn't say the % so I'm guessing.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Doesn't seem to stack with Crow form though, I don't think. At least, it didn't seem to be any faster than usual. I'll have to time a trip across Serb sometime and compare it.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I really need to remember to just login to change the hang out quest. I bet it really speeds things up if you stay on top of them. Whats the quickest way to get a speed buff of some sort. I'm worried this speed buff event is going to spoil me and I won't be able to go back to the normal run speed.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The fastest way would be to get some +speed gear. Windswept boots are +2 and a fairly common drop in Kur from some orcs. There's a Ring of Jaunty Traipsing +1 available from somewhere too. I got one when I was low enough to be hunting in the Crypt but outgrew it. There's also some necklace that grants +3 inventory and +1 speed too. I still wear one even though it's something like 30 levels below me and the wrong classes.

Alternatively, you can level up Alchemy for the speed potions that leads into Battle Chemistry with some of the best movement skills in the game.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in as Eastknight, if there's a guild or whatever.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There is a Goon guild. You're welcome to join but there aren't a ton of us on. I haven't seen another Goon online at the same (random) hour or two I can get online but that just means one less chat box to keep track of. If you want an invite I'm usually on between 7-8am central time and maybe an hour or so after 8pm.

Edit: Also, I've given all goons invite ability in case you find one in chat.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I really miss playing this. Can't wait until I have the time to start playing again.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I played this last night with a buddy. We got off of the newbie island together, we had a blast. Is the rest of the game like that? It sort of feels like a mix between Vanguard Saga of Heroes and Everquest--refreshing, to say the least.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you like reading quest and item text I dare say the rest of the game gets a little more weird, but yes. That's a good idea of what's to come.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
New graphical update today. Its dropped my FPS from 30-40 to 20-30. The colors are a little weird as well. I'm playing on fastest but I might have to override everything to as low as possible.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm playing on an ancient TI 750 and this update made things better for me. Everyone I've seen complaining about framerate had to go and undo their overrides before they saw improvement. Have you tried that yet?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone here have tested the change in a Mac Book Air? is worse or better?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I want to like this game, but the controls are so bad and I feel like I have little direction. Also does it not have PvP at all?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The devs allow PVP through the PVP basement in one of the buildings in Ser or by drinking from a Spooky Punch (PVP Punch). He isn't going to build the game around PVP.

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
PvP isn't worth thinking twice about, from my experience and understanding.

Also I'm still playing as Dewp, I'm 35/40 Hammer/Druid as of tonight. I'm feeling pretty strong these days, it's nice. I'm also pretty much committed to this build because Hammer is awesome.

I'm really glad I became a Druid before they made it require a level 50 combat skill, and the graphics update is weird as hell.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Tried the game before and after I replaced my AMD 390 with an Nvidia 1080 Ti (FTW3 overclocked edition which adds a couple frames over the standard 1080Ti), i7 6700K, 16GB of DDR4 memory @ 3200mhz, installed on an SSD.

Was getting about 30-40FPS @ 3440x1440 in Serbule in town (a 390 should not get 30FPS even at such a high resolution in this game, and before this update it was 50-60)
After upgrading to the 1080 Ti, I was getting 58-60.

Both configurations stuttered A LOT where I'd lose control of my character for 2-3 seconds at a time. The bloom/lighting in general is terrible, everything is blue, it's too bright (even with a bloom disable override) and now the ground looks like plastic.... But overall I'm really impressed with the assets. The game is looking pretty drat nice compared to what it used to be like. Once they fix some of the technical issues and address the lighting, I'd say this is a step in the right direction visually. Hopefully when they start updating places like Sun Vale, they won't conflict visually as much anymore because going from some zones just made me think "is this even the same game?"

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tei posted:

Anyone here have tested the change in a Mac Book Air? is worse or better?

My macbook air (2015 4gig) ran it fine before. Now it can't run it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Are you having better luck after the bugfix patch and disabling your overrides?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My Mac Book Air 2013 can run it. I have not touched settings (I had them to superlow before).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a nonspoilery guide for this game floating around? I seem to have hit a point where I'm not really progressing. Highest combat skill is unarmed at 15, followed by endurance at 12. I got average armor with minimal special buffs, just enough to keep me alive. Are there any noncombat skills I should focus on to rake in money? I'm doing random villager quests to increase favor, which is working out well. I just singlehandedly punched a bear to death for some barn dwelling dude, if that's something to go by.

Any newbie traps I should watch out for, or things that I should start focusing on? I'm trying not to immediately jump into the wiki and ruin everything.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

buglord posted:

Is there a nonspoilery guide for this game floating around? I seem to have hit a point where I'm not really progressing. Highest combat skill is unarmed at 15, followed by endurance at 12. I got average armor with minimal special buffs, just enough to keep me alive. Are there any noncombat skills I should focus on to rake in money? I'm doing random villager quests to increase favor, which is working out well. I just singlehandedly punched a bear to death for some barn dwelling dude, if that's something to go by.

Any newbie traps I should watch out for, or things that I should start focusing on? I'm trying not to immediately jump into the wiki and ruin everything.

One thing I'd recommend checking out if you haven't already is the serbule crypt. If you're doing favors around town you'll run into it sooner or later.

Also one way to try and find stuff without getting too spoilery is the "Things to do" tab. I think its under the quest menu. It'll give you hints on places/people to check out without telling you exactly what theyll need or how to do it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks my dude. I ended up going down to the crypt with some people way higher level than myself so I got a ton of valuable junk. I voluntarily dipped before they got to the next level just so I could preserve that for when I'm better equipped. Also, I'm a pig so that's fun and cool. I got a turn-back potion but I don't think I wanna use it yet.

Also this game is the first MMO I've cared about in ages. Yeah it sorta sucks sometimes and half the things are broken, but the experience feels unique and its actually fun to pointlessly dick around.

buglord fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 18, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Is the lighting still hosed? It was blinding after the graphical update in serbule last time I played.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looks fine here, you can tone it down in overrides. I'm leveling archery now and it's hella good.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Not only did they fix the lighting... I can't believe I'm saying this but it looks fantastic. I don't know what post processing magic they did but the environment (Serbule at least) looks like it's from a game being developed this decade. A bit of work on the other areas, some changes to character models/equipment and the UI update and this will be one good looking game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
yo are there goons playing this or like, have a guild thing going on? be my friend

playing with pubbies is surprisingly tolerable but I like to be amongst my weird kin.

IGN: buglord

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ign Fortior

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There's a guild but the population is relatively small and finding 2 Goons online at the same time has been something of a rarity. Still, there is a Goon guild and everyone I find to tag is given invite access to help cover the time zones.

IGN: Inimicul

futile
May 18, 2009
Just a reminder to everyone:

This game is really cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
whats a good trade/income skill to bring in money? I've been working towards leatherworking the past couple of days and it seems horribly unprofitable. One skillbook for level 15 recipes is 7.5k. Should I go back to surveying?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you're in a guild that does the guild quests, you can spend 2 guild points for a purse that gives you about 800-1000 when you right click it. Each quest gives every guild member who logged in during the quest about 20 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

buglord posted:

whats a good trade/income skill to bring in money? I've been working towards leatherworking the past couple of days and it seems horribly unprofitable. One skillbook for level 15 recipes is 7.5k. Should I go back to surveying?

Cooking baked beets was immensely profitable once you're over the hump of getting cooking and gardening up. It's a little tedious but I prefer it to surveying