Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm voting for Comrade Ryan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yadoppsi posted:

Details on this?

Basically if you do the numbers on transitioning the trust fund to public stock holdings as well as diverting future taxes into the same accounts you quickly end up with dollar amounts larger than the entire market capitalization of the major exchanges. If values held SS accounts would own everything.

What would actually occur is that the values would rise dramatically as a result of tons more money chasing fewer investments. If you happen to already own stocks this is fantastic news which is why rich people are so obsessed with the idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shookies posted:

If the Pope smote Donald Trump and said he did it because God told him to, how would that play with the American Christian base?

Most of the Christians who love Trump aren't Catholic and hate the Pope in general, but a lot of them including the Catholics also hate this one for being a drat liberal or something. But like some "anti-papists" might declare holy war or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shookies posted:

If the Pope smote Donald Trump and said he did it because God told him to, how would that play with the American Christian base?

Catholics aren't Christians.

The papists have voted majority Democrat for awhile. I don't think Trump's supporters would fall for it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

Canada gets dibs on New York, Washington and Vermont.

Nah, we will take Washington, Oregon, and maybe California. West coast = best coast.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Krispy Kareem posted:

The papists have voted majority Democrat for awhile. I don't think Trump's supporters would fall for it.

They wouldn't keel over braindead or anything, but it'd certainly shake them hard. And the inevitable response ("gently caress the pope!") would potentially cause the Republican party to implode.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

citybeatnik posted:

It's make me start going back to Mass, for one thing. Hell, I might make it a habit of doing the rosary daily.

*EDIT*

That said, you have actual schismatic American Catholics claiming that Francis is not a legit pope because Benedict is still hobbling about. That and batshit crazy Baptists and the like still see the whole institution as a Babylonian death cult built up around a cookie.

I think you'll find that Vatican 2 broke the succession and/or there's a weird series of Man In The Iron Mask correct antipopes kept in the basement of Pope Castle.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

STAC Goat posted:

Most of the Christians who love Trump aren't Catholic and hate the Pope in general, but a lot of them including the Catholics also hate this one for being a drat liberal or something. But like some "anti-papists" might declare holy war or something.

The fun arguments that I've heard is that normally the cardinals are not meant to vote for the pope, they're meant to listen to God whispering to them who the proper choice was. Since Francis is obviously a political choice he's not the true pope.

*EDIT*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think you'll find that Vatican 2 broke the succession and/or there's a weird series of Man In The Iron Mask correct antipopes kept in the basement of Pope Castle.

It ALWAYS comes back to loving Vatican II...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

We're generally better educated and better off, and also confined to the cities.

Therefore we vote dem, bitch about taxes, and drink heavily.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I love FiveThirtyEight sometimes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/867176444123860993

I mean

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

citybeatnik posted:

The fun arguments that I've heard is that normally the cardinals are not meant to vote for the pope, they're meant to listen to God whispering to them who the proper choice was. Since Francis is obviously a political choice he's not the true pope.

Yeah, as a lax Catholic I have a hard and fast rule to other Catholics that you either admit all the bad Popes were chosen by God or all the good Popes were chosen by men. No cherry picking based on who you like or the conversation ends. Liberal Catholics laugh at that and we have a fun talk, conservative Catholics like to cherry pick.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, as a lax Catholic I have a hard and fast rule to other Catholics that you either admit all the bad Popes were chosen by God or all the good Popes were chosen by men. No cherry picking based on who you like or the conversation ends. Liberal Catholics laugh at that and we have a fun talk, conservative Catholics like to cherry pick.

It's a good rule to follow, really. As a lapsed cradle Catholic I mostly just keep my head down around that side of the family on matters of faith. And they're -still- less batshit than the baptist side.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Guys, after reading that transcript, I'm really worried about the result of a strike on North Korea

Please tell me we'll all be safe

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Depends.

Are you in South Korea?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Edit: GODDAMMIT

Willo567 posted:

Guys, after reading that transcript, I'm really worried about the result of a strike on North Korea

Depends, are you South Korean or maybe Japanese?

(In which case the answer is still "probably")

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's... not how Confidential data gets marked wtf

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Tayter Swift posted:

That's... not how Confidential data gets marked wtf

It's sourced from the Philippines, not the US.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: GODDAMMIT

Depends, are you South Korean or maybe Japanese?

(In which case the answer is still "probably")

No, but I am worried that China or Russia will condemn the strike, possibly leading to a war with either one of the two

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Death comes for us all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

What possible strategic benefit is there to Trump preemptively striking North Korea? Assuming that he is in the pocket of Russia, and sees himself as being BFF with China after the chocolate cake accords, wouldn't a strike work counter to those interests? Russia and China would almost certainly condemn it. I mean, is this a case of Putin trying to mousetrap Trump, or what?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Catholic theology doesn't really have popes really fully picked in a supernatural way. It's definitely a secular voting process.

The holy spirit is supposed to be present in the process and through "discernment" you are supposed to search your heart and vote the way the spirit tells you. But you can vote for anyone and there is no element that if people vote different they are seen as heretics or something. Like god is helping in the process and the picked pope is sort of seen as called by god for the role but it's not divinely appointed or anything exactly.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

LegendaryFrog posted:

It's sourced from the Philippines, not the US.

Ah, thanks. Yikes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Fart City posted:

What possible strategic benefit is there to Trump preemptively striking North Korea? Assuming that he is in the pocket of Russia, and sees himself as being BFF with China after the chocolate cake accords, wouldn't a strike work counter to those interests? Russia and China would almost certainly condemn it. I mean, is this a case of Putin trying to mousetrap Trump, or what?

Trump is crazy. That's all there is to it

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fart City posted:

Insanity doesnt require motivation or reasoning.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Catholic theology doesn't really have popes really fully picked in a supernatural way. It's definitely a secular voting process.

The holy spirit is supposed to be present in the process and through "discernment" you are supposed to search your heart and vote the way the spirit tells you. But you can vote for anyone and there is no element that if people vote different they are seen as heretics or something. Like god is helping in the process and the picked pope is sort of seen as called by god for the role but it's not divinely appointed or anything exactly.

Yeah, I know, and its the usual "well, when the bad Pope was elected the men obviously ignored God's guidance" but the point is that its practically impossible for us to have any kind of debate if we can't establish some kind of standard on that. Either its a bunch of people choosing and they pray and hope they get some guidance but its still just them... which most Catholics agree with... or God whispers a name into their ears and chooses the Pope... which some hardcore conservative Catholics push on.

I think for the most part Catholics are fun to have theological debates on because a lot of us are open to some critical thinking and less inclined to go with the magic answers. At most it becomes "pray on it until you find the answer" and not "God will give you a vision" kind of stuff you see with some other Christians. But there's some of that in Catholicism and I've had people tell me some crazy rear end poo poo like they literally saw the Holy Spirit walk around a room and bless each person. But those folks tend to remind me of Evangelicals more than Catholics anyway and they usually attend some kind of pre-Vatican II church or something.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Medieval Medic posted:

Death comes for us all.

I know you're just joking, but I'm being serious

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The current Pope has said verbatim "god doesn't just wave a magic wand."

within our lifetime American catholicism will basically be what like Zoroastrianism is in India: a drinking club for WASPs.

Francis would probably come out in favor of abortion, gay marriage, and contraceptives if he thought he could get out of italy with his life.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

quote:

Say hello to people of the Philippines for me.

Ey yo, say 'ello to ya mother for me

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

I'm loving the new picture on his twitter.

You can just hear him thinking "How did they manage to get you funded? Tell me all, wall."

HOLY poo poo THEY EDITED THE SHOT TO CUT OUT THE YARMULKE?!?!?!?!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

I know you're just joking, but I'm being serious

The serious answer is this should have been dealt with in the mid-90's and now everyone is pretty well hosed.

There's a narrow and precarious path to a peaceful resolution, but odds are not in Seoul's favor.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

HOLY poo poo THEY REDID IT TO REMOVE THE YARMULKE?!?!?!?!

Admit it, youre not actually surprised by this at all.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I know, and its the usual "well, when the bad Pope was elected the men obviously ignored God's guidance" but the point is that its practically impossible for us to have any kind of debate if we can't establish some kind of standard on that. Either its a bunch of people choosing and they pray and hope they get some guidance but its still just them... which most Catholics agree with... or God whispers a name into their ears and chooses the Pope... which some hardcore conservative Catholics push on.

I mean this doesn't seem particular contradictory. God is rooting for some pick and might tell you if you listen but you might not listen and you are free to ignore it.

Like 99% of the bad things that happen in star wars is the force telling the jedi something and them letting their own feelings get in the way and getting it all hosed up. It's exactly that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Admit it, youre not actually surprised by this at all.

Surprised it's so blatant, yes.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean this doesn't seem particular contradictory. God is rooting for some pick and might tell you if you listen but you might not listen and you are free to ignore it.

Like 99% of the bad things that happen in star wars is the force telling the jedi something and them letting their own feelings get in the way and getting it all hosed up. It's exactly that.

this is a perfectly fine analogy but I just can't help loling at the inherent gooniness of comparing religion to star wars

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ah, man, they gassed the old thread? Bullshit, that poo poo needs to be enshrined.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

Ah, man, they gassed the old thread? Bullshit, that poo poo needs to be enshrined.

In a way it will be because gas chamber threads don't require archives to read

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The problem comes when its then used to say "you can't question the choice of the Pope, he's divinely influenced." Well, what about all those bad popes? "They were chosen by bad men who made a mistake and ignored God's guidance." Well then how do you know these guys didn't screw up too? "Because God guides them."

For us to have any kind of debate on the Pope's divine providence or edicts we have to basically agree on a set of goal posts and can't just let it be open based on whether you agree or disagree with any given Pope or stance. I think Francis is a good guy and Benedict is an rear end in a top hat. I know Catholics who feel the opposite way. They'll argue that God guided the Cardinals to pick Benedict but not Francis. I'll say "the Cardinals choose both for a variety of reasons, but I'm sure at least some of them hoped they were doing God's will." The second one can get us somewhere, the first one can't. So I'm willing to say "fine, God influences all Papal choices" or "God influences none" but we can't pick and choose or we'll get nowhere.

And in general I have never and probably never will base any debate or anything on Star Wars. Sorry.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is Trump praising the Filipino President more or less hosed up than when Reagan gave the Contras a tongue bath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

HOLY poo poo THEY EDITED THE SHOT TO CUT OUT THE YARMULKE?!?!?!?!

(((Trump!)))

• Locked thread