Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a hard time believing a juniper is going to survive in Florida unless you literally store it in your fridge for half the year (this is actually a thing that people do). They need winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Lots of junipers grow well in Florida. We even have a bonsai and Japanese garden in Del Rey (10b).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I have a little jacaranda bonsai that I grew from seed. it sprouted in late February and it's been living inside beneath a grow lamp for all that time. based on some youtube videos I've seen it looks about as large as 6-7 month old examples. now I'm worried that I'm stressing it out by having it grow too fast, and indoors :ohdear:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Snails have broken into my grow house. Devastation has happened :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Commiserations. Kill all the little bastards.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Oh nooooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It looks like they have only been able to get into the plastic ones not the nice wooden one. Seedling trays have been transferred over to it and it's a waiting game to see which will make it. I have found and humanly thrown any snails I found the hell off my land.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My solution for slugs and snails was chickens.

Now if I could just find a way to keep the chickens out of the garden beds, I might be able to grow something :v:

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Enfys posted:

My solution for slugs and snails was chickens.

Now if I could just find a way to keep the chickens out of the garden beds, I might be able to grow something :v:

Chickens are nice and helpful in the garden, they will kindly dig through your vegetable beds and find all those seeds you managed to drop in there!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

On the one hand, they're great at digging up and pecking weeds and pests to death :downs:

On the other hand, they don't differentiate between weeds and any other living plant :saddowns:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Oh no! Do you have house insurance? Happened to me and large amounts of gasoline based fire took care of the little buggers, and then some! Never bought plants from that vendor ever again :mad:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can anyone tell me what's eating my pothos, ZZ plant, and bromeliad?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you for all of the feedback on the juniper bonsai. In regards to what someone said about climate, it's pretty much why I put it outside for 5 days and in for 2 days (with access to light). I'm in an apartment, so it's porch or nothing. I was worried that it was too hot for the tree and while I don't know much about plants I figured the tree turning brown was it drying out and/or getting cooked in the major Florida heat. I'll take your advice, though, with removing the rocks to have a better look at the soil. Before this, I usually tried to jam a finger in through the rocks to see if the soil feels damp.

The place that I bought it from seems pretty legitimate. They're an orchid and bonsai shop in a standalone building, rather than a kiosk. I first started trying to raise tillandsia and bonsai from sellers on Amazon but they didn't seem to work out. I now buy exclusively from this shop and everything I've had (save this juniper) have survived well. I had this juniper for about 7 months and I have two other bonsai (I can't remember the type) that have been going strong for a few months.

I'll try looking for the bonsai thread again. Thank you for the help.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zeris posted:

I think you need to play hunt the beastie. And then kill it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zeris posted:

The zz plant might be an exception, but overall that looks more like damage from sunlight or low humidity. My pothos, peace lily, and spider plant have similar browning and slight tearing on the leaves.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

indigi posted:

I have a little jacaranda bonsai that I grew from seed. it sprouted in late February and it's been living inside beneath a grow lamp for all that time. based on some youtube videos I've seen it looks about as large as 6-7 month old examples. now I'm worried that I'm stressing it out by having it grow too fast, and indoors :ohdear:

Mind posting a pic of it? Not that I can give you any advice I'd just love to see it :D

The Sean posted:

Thank you for all of the feedback on the juniper bonsai. In regards to what someone said about climate, it's pretty much why I put it outside for 5 days in for 2 days (with access to light). I was worried that it was too hot for the tree and while I don't know much about plants I figured the tree turning brown was it drying out and/or getting cooked in the major Florida heat. I'll take your advice, though, with removing the rocks to have a better look at the soil. Before this, I usually tried to jam a finger in through the rocks to see if the soil feels damp.

The place that I bought it from seems pretty legitimate. They're an orchid and bonsai shop in a standalone building, rather than a kiosk. I first started trying to raise tillandsia and bonsai from sellers on Amazon but they didn't seem to work out. I now buy exclusively from this shop and everything I've had (save this juniper) have survived well. I had this juniper for about 7 months and I have two other bonsai (I can't remember the type) that have been going strong for a few months.

I'll try looking for the bonsai thread again. Thank you for the help.

Honestly the reddit bonsai beginning questions thread is much more active and has a lot of experienced people willing to help if you don't find what you're looking for

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I think you need to play hunt the beastie. And then kill it.

Follow on question: ants have started coming in through my window since the start of spring. I'm the second story courtyard-facing apartment of a walkup building in NYC. I don't leave crumbs or filth around, and the ants don't seem to be focusing on a particular plant (or any plant; they just seem to enjoy coming indoors through the window). Are there some wacky ant-eating plants in NYC I should know about? I had aphids in my last apartment, but I culled and sprayed with neem oil (and moved) and that settled that. I'm not seeing, other than those ants, any evidence of critters - no eggs, black specks, web or hair-like stuff, etc. The post from above suggesting low humidity might be the culprit?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

B33rChiller posted:

I agree. We got one in a basket with some daffodils this past January. I didn't know anything about Aftican violets at the time, so you can see the burnt marks where I got water on the leaves. Since then, however, this plant has done really well, with a whole bunch of new leaves and flowers!

African Violet https://imgur.com/gallery/qB1M0
Yeah, they're quite sensitive in that regard. Silver lining - you've an excuse to cut off the blighted leaves and use 'em for propagation.

Love the violet shade on your​ plant (which looks really healthy and nice). I currently have two adult specimens, one pink and one blue:

Under the cloche I've got four leaves going. Two Russian varieties:
Bog Solnca

Syrenevoe Ocharovaine (spelling probably all kinds of hosed up)

And finally, an English variety called Gillian:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Zeris posted:

Follow on question: ants have started coming in through my window since the start of spring. I'm the second story courtyard-facing apartment of a walkup building in NYC. I don't leave crumbs or filth around, and the ants don't seem to be focusing on a particular plant (or any plant; they just seem to enjoy coming indoors through the window). Are there some wacky ant-eating plants in NYC I should know about? I had aphids in my last apartment, but I culled and sprayed with neem oil (and moved) and that settled that. I'm not seeing, other than those ants, any evidence of critters - no eggs, black specks, web or hair-like stuff, etc. The post from above suggesting low humidity might be the culprit?

Yes! My faveroute plants ever. https://www.californiacarnivores.com/collections/lowland-nepenthes Lowland Nepenthes pitcher plant, (highland version needs putting out at night and bringing in again during the day for some odd reason). I'm convinced this plant has a brain, what it does is sit there nice and quiet catching small flys and whatnot and allowing the scouting ants to get all comfortable like, so they see it as a food source and not a threat. Then it starts to eat them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The zz plant might be an exception, but overall that looks more like damage from sunlight or low humidity. My pothos, peace lily, and spider plant have similar browning and slight tearing on the leaves.

Agreed. I have a few pothos, some that get direct sun and some that do not, but all are within a few feet of each other so if insects were to blame they'd be able to get to all of 'em. The ones that get direct suns have brown spots/holes like that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know this is a wild scandalous accusation but.. Why do men feel the need to keep messing with my bloody hose?

Seriously, It's a cheap fifty freaking meter hose, it has no reel and if you look at it funny the drat thing will kink. I have it layed out all around the edges of garden so that I can walk a set route without it kinking or catching on anything. It's not in the way and at no point is anyone in danger if tripping over it. It's left exactly where it's supposed to be when I'm done with it. Man comes near it and the second I turn round it's been "tidied up". which means that what I have now is a fifty freaking meter tangled mess dumped up near the tap.

It's not just one man who's done this, it's literally every man who comes near the house, apart from Mr LC who knows better, including a workman who came to do some plastering. Even the postman points at it and goes "you've left your hosepipe out love" Why?? Is this active mansplaining where they see a woman doing perfectly well on her own and have a desperate need to show that they know more than her, especially when it comes to something that looks like a giant penis??

Sorry. First the snails and then yet another half hour spent wasted untangling and putting the hose back :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Is this active mansplaining where they see a woman doing perfectly well on her own and have a desperate need to show that they know more than her, especially when it comes to something that looks like a giant penis??

Yes.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I bought two Tacca chantrieri rhizomes back in April and around the first of this month one of them woke up and started doing its thing. Here's a picture of them both today.

The one on the left has been getting the same treatment as the one on the right. Is there any reason it's taking so much longer to do something and is there anything I can do to encourage it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I know this is a wild scandalous accusation but.. Why do men feel the need to keep messing with my bloody hose?

Seriously, It's a cheap fifty freaking meter hose, it has no reel and if you look at it funny the drat thing will kink. I have it layed out all around the edges of garden so that I can walk a set route without it kinking or catching on anything. It's not in the way and at no point is anyone in danger if tripping over it. It's left exactly where it's supposed to be when I'm done with it. Man comes near it and the second I turn round it's been "tidied up". which means that what I have now is a fifty freaking meter tangled mess dumped up near the tap.

It's not just one man who's done this, it's literally every man who comes near the house, apart from Mr LC who knows better, including a workman who came to do some plastering. Even the postman points at it and goes "you've left your hosepipe out love" Why?? Is this active mansplaining where they see a woman doing perfectly well on her own and have a desperate need to show that they know more than her, especially when it comes to something that looks like a giant penis??

Sorry. First the snails and then yet another half hour spent wasted untangling and putting the hose back :(

Get some little hand-lettered painted signs that say "don't move my goddamn hose" and stick them all over your garden

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Yes! My faveroute plants ever. https://www.californiacarnivores.com/collections/lowland-nepenthes Lowland Nepenthes pitcher plant, (highland version needs putting out at night and bringing in again during the day for some odd reason). I'm convinced this plant has a brain, what it does is sit there nice and quiet catching small flys and whatnot and allowing the scouting ants to get all comfortable like, so they see it as a food source and not a threat. Then it starts to eat them.

Do you operate that website / sell these guys? I think we PM'd a year ago and I was wondering about the viability of a nepenthes in NYC. My window is west-facing and I supplement it with several LED lights but a few direct sunlight plants are struggling. They would be the perfect addition if they don't die from lack of light.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

learnincurve posted:

you shouldn't have to do anything special/spend money to make this stop happening because it's ridiculous and disrespectful, but you could try hose stakes or long u-shaped wires (like these? but probably wider) to keep it in place. :unsmith:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

learnincurve posted:

I've explained to more men than woman how to roll up anything of length using the over under hand technique so it coils nicely. Don't think this needs to be about sex. I could see anyone living at a house wanting the hose rolled up when it isn't being used, weird that the postman pointed it out though and called it a hosepipe. Never heard that one but I'm definitely using it now

Paint it like a coral snake and put signs up saying DEADLY SNAKE DO NOT TOUCH

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Starting to see some fruits of my garden. Ate a pea pod while cutting some flowers for a bouquet tonight. Some random pictures:

Overall pretty happy with how my first year haphazardly gardening is going

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Anyone want to share stories/tips/tricks on cold composting?

I dug out 2 inches (by 1 foot by 12 foot) of a 2 year old amended bed that refuses to grow anything but weeds and moved the primo dirt up to the front of the house. Now i have a nice shallow grave with some shredded paper (winter-mulching my beds with shredded paper was brillllliant!), some crispy and wet leaves, crumbled egg shells and soon coffe grounds. My intention is to add to this during the summr then lasagna it up in fall with cardboard and dirt from behind our fence and hopefully get some good poo poo in a year or so for the other functioning flower beds.

The first year I did a side yard flower bed I put down cardboard and paper to get some bulk in there without going broke on store bought soil, and it has broken down nicely about 2 years on now. I'll do it again to the side bed this year befor e I supermulch with shreddings again.

I'd lik e to add back some worms that the loving birds keep digging up but I'll wait another year for that maybe?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Tremors posted:

I bought two Tacca chantrieri rhizomes back in April and around the first of this month one of them woke up and started doing its thing. Here's a picture of them both today.

The one on the left has been getting the same treatment as the one on the right. Is there any reason it's taking so much longer to do something and is there anything I can do to encourage it?
If you're unlucky the rhizome might've simply decayed. But chantrieri is a bit unpredictable. Maybe it's just taking its time. What are the conditions, temperature, humidity, soil, like?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thanks for the the hose support everyone, :) it's a little thing but it's really really annoying. I'm planting up borders and we just had a horrible drought so going "where is the..NOOOO!" every time I go to use it makes me want to stand guard with a garden fork whenever I hear the gate go. It's my house, I am the only adult who lives here (Mr LC lives with his elderly father as his carer) It's not unreasonable to my stuff to be left the hell alone. I would get one of those fancy pants hoselock hoses on a reel but it would get nicked. Another thing the chaps like pointing out is that I need to paint my shed before winter. I know this but I'm going to get planters with trellis on them to go round the shed to hide it, they will need painting as well and the colour will depend on what clematis I decide to grow and I haven't decided. :/

Zeris posted:

Do you operate that website / sell these guys? I think we PM'd a year ago and I was wondering about the viability of a nepenthes in NYC. My window is west-facing and I supplement it with several LED lights but a few direct sunlight plants are struggling. They would be the perfect addition if they don't die from lack of light.

Not me I'm afraid, I'm In the United Kingdom :)

Tip from my grandad #247. Vivarium lizard bulbs are true full spectrum and you can screw them into desk lamps. Works out a lot cheaper than fancy plant lighting set ups.

@That70sHeidi 50/50 brown and green and keep forking it over.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Mind posting a pic of it? Not that I can give you any advice I'd just love to see it :D

e: I have a 2-gallon pot I'm transferring it to this weekend, please do not @ me

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Schmeichy posted:

Starting to see some fruits of my garden. Ate a pea pod while cutting some flowers for a bouquet tonight. Some random pictures:

Overall pretty happy with how my first year haphazardly gardening is going

Looking amazing, Schmeichy! What a good first year!

LC - have you​ considered :murder:?
:killing:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zeris posted:

You're probably thinking of Kenning. He works at Predatory Plants. I've bought from them and they're legit.

You could probably keep Nepenthes in a window, but I don't have a lot of experience with that. I do grow some under fluorescent lights, and they're happy as can be. It depends on the species.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

indigi posted:

e: I have a 2-gallon pot I'm transferring it to this weekend, please do not @ me

Yea it'll definitely like the bigger pot, maybe even some time in the ground to get some mass. I'm reallllly into those leaves though wow, add another name to the list of Plants I Need

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have brown spots like this on my Dracena, and I've read that "flouride toxicity" can be an explanation. I guess the flouride in the water can build up and be unhealthy for the plants. General advice seems to be to fill your watering can and let it sit overnight to let the flouride come out of solution first.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a real thing, or some edge case that probably isn't the actual explanation?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hubis posted:

I have brown spots like this on my Dracena, and I've read that "flouride toxicity" can be an explanation. I guess the flouride in the water can build up and be unhealthy for the plants. General advice seems to be to fill your watering can and let it sit overnight to let the flouride come out of solution first.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a real thing, or some edge case that probably isn't the actual explanation?

That definitely seems like a possibility for my spider plant. Apparently it's common with them. I think isolated bits of browning is pretty normal on pothos, but I'm not positive.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hubis posted:

I have brown spots like this on my Dracena, and I've read that "flouride toxicity" can be an explanation. I guess the fluoride in the water can build up and be unhealthy for the plants. General advice seems to be to fill your watering can and let it sit overnight to let the flouride come out of solution first.

Dracena is really sensitive to a lot of the chemicals used in water treatment, particularly fluoride and chlorine. Chlorine does break down if left sitting for ~24 hours, especially if aided by UV light. A bigger problem is chloramine, which is used in some modern water treatments. It doesn't break down as easily as chlorine, so it depends on what is in your water.

When you want to water it, I'd leave the can sitting overnight at least. Dracena can also have issues with composts that contain lots of perlite because that leeches fluoride into the soil as well. They need really good drainage though (brown spots can be caused by too much heavy compost keeping the roots soggy) as they are meant for hot dry climates, so mixing in a bit of coarse sand instead of perlite for drainage will help.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

since I already have dechlorinator for my aquarium, would that be fine for plant water? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

The Snoo posted:

since I already have dechlorinator for my aquarium, would that be fine for plant water? :v:

:same:

but for beer :v: