Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Berkut has a super good voice actor. Wow.

E: Evil Alm is a good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Celica is being real dumb right now, my goodness.

How dumb, on a scale of Robin to Corrin?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chiasaur11 posted:

She goes full Conquest at one point for some real dumb drama.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Pretty dumb. Like a consistent sort of dumb which makes sense with previous character traits so it ain't no Corrin, but it's still dumb.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Are the training DLC packs essentially a way to spice up grinding units?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh my god, this post-game dungeon is seriously just one long run? No mila shrine or anything, huh.

I regret taking two peg knights over mages.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is some soap opera rear end poo poo right here.

I don't think I dislike it though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man some of the endings are depressing as hell, especially Sonya's tragic search for a cure for witches, finding nothing but becoming one herself.

Tae posted:

Oh my god, this post-game dungeon is seriously just one long run? No mila shrine or anything, huh.

There's a Mila shrine in the back area.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Tae posted:

I don't know if I made it to the final boss or what, but Celica ate a 3% crit and gave me a game over.

Wasn't too bad otherwise, though. Found some Boots down there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

There's a Mila shrine in the back area.

What do you mean back area, there's 10 floors of back area.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad Mathilda was able to find a boyfriend with a fetish for her killing people

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

What do you mean back area, there's 10 floors of back area.

in the final dungeon room, go left instead of inside and thru some doors you have to open. around the bend is a Mila Shrine

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/dungeons/temple-of-duma/ this is a pretty good map for it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Guys, I'm in Thabes Labyrinth. I said post-game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh, lol, my bad. yeah you're probably hosed in that case, w/r/t a shrine

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't tell if this is just hard or Thabes is this insane but

The top is by far my best unit. The bottom is the average enemy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tae posted:

I can't tell if this is just hard or Thabes is this insane but

The top is by far my best unit. The bottom is the average enemy.

lmao jesus christ I thought folks were exaggerating, but NOPE

Also ugh, i think I'm missing a cog. I beat the game, and double and triple checked every single location on serenesforest and I still only have 8/9. Including the one you get randomly from giving that girl "cute things."

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Any tips on the the dumb gargoyle summoner on celica's route?

Unfortunately I was dumb and didn't go back to town to recruit the peg sisters for awhile, so they're underleveled... figure I probably just have to tough it out there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Give Leon a killer bow. I one shot him that way.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Peg Knights are middling until they promote to Falcoknights whereupon they get huge boosts to survivability and you can fly them wherever you want to go kill poo poo.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Don't hate on Python; he wasn't even supposed to be here today.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Any tips on the the dumb gargoyle summoner on celica's route?

Unfortunately I was dumb and didn't go back to town to recruit the peg sisters for awhile, so they're underleveled... figure I probably just have to tough it out there.
remember that expel exists

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's kinda silly Nuibaba needed to lure Alm out when just a map ago Lukas was all gung-ho about telling Alm to fight her to get the support of the people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat that final map was loving intense, i'm surprised I managed to pull it off with no deaths especially after the Turnwheel got disabled. Glad I didn't actually need to deal with the Medusa user though.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I... actually like all these characters more than the awakening and if/fates characters :X
They feel more fleshed out somehow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is the stat caps in this game class or charactet specific? I think my current plan is to have atlas dread loop into a max bow knight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Is the stat caps in this game class or charactet specific? I think my current plan is to have atlas dread loop into a max bow knight.

Character specific, but there isn't a lot of variation. Its all somewhere around 40 for everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Big Whoop posted:

I... actually like all these characters more than the awakening and if/fates characters :X
They feel more fleshed out somehow.
it's not so much 'more fleshed out' but more grounded. 90% of the fates characters are just totally random guys who could have come from anywhere and have basically no past, but everyone here has an actual place in the world and talks about their families and stuff, or how they were raised, or where they come from. mathilda casually mentioning she has a bunch of sisters who all really admire her or kliff mentioning that his mom's selfish and greedy is more backstory than hinata ever gets.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

remember that expel exists

Did finally get that spell, would have helped; off to kill them as the last part since the pirate king was easier to me :psyduck:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of character specific, I like this idea of character specific spells to some extent, but I'd like it to also apply to non-mage classes. It might give each of the sword guys more of a niche over each other besides "the strong one" or "the fast one" if they learned different skills natively by leveling like the priests and mages do. And it could tie in with character details if Kliff learned something like Hexblade so he could always target res like a mage even if he was a non-mage class.

In earlier games, characters would have a variety of skills that they either came with or unlocked at promotion, but I kind of like this very RPG unlock by level system to set members of the same class apart.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Endorph posted:

it's not so much 'more fleshed out' but more grounded. 90% of the fates characters are just totally random guys who could have come from anywhere and have basically no past, but everyone here has an actual place in the world and talks about their families and stuff, or how they were raised, or where they come from. mathilda casually mentioning she has a bunch of sisters who all really admire her or kliff mentioning that his mom's selfish and greedy is more backstory than hinata ever gets.

Yeah, their supports or conversations don't really linger overlong or get drawn out, but they do tell us a bit more about who these people are when they're not killing for Alm or Celica.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Base conversations own and i'm glad they're back. Hopefully to stay if we're lucky.

Anyway I beat the game. It was good! I had a lot of fun with it and it was cool to play one of the older FE games. Definitely some remnants of game design that the series was better off leaving behind though. The Desert maps can go to hell and the swamps weren't much better. Cantors are kinda interesting and strategising around them can be fun but they were way overused. Some of the gimmicks bosses had like Medusa and Upheaveal could have used some tweaking as well, because while being a decent reason why the maps involving them are memorable they're a chore to deal with more than fun (though Upheaval's use in the final map was super tense and sorta appropriate considering when it was used.) And while they are a good few cool and interesting maps in the game a lot are just super bland and samey, not even counting the Desert.

Lots of good unique stuff as well though. I like the way promotion works in this game, and how it heavily encourages not having everyone go 20/20. The way promotion bonuses work is something I also think is well done, because just by getting to the class bases alone I think most units in the game are pretty useable. Speaking of that, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed having enough deployment slots for every character except for the final map. I might've been lucky in not having a single character so utterly screwed by the RNG that they were worthless but finding niches for underperforming characters was fun and I liked most of the characters anyway so I was happy to use him. The weapon system is also great, I think it might be my favourite implementation of weapons in the series. The way Mages learn spells was good too and makes them all unique from each other which is good when you get so many. Terrors were also cool for the most part, much better than the Risen or whatever Fates had, and I kinda like them more than FE8's monsters as well. In many ways they're more interesting units than regular enemies. Mila's Turnwheel is my favourite unique thing the game has though, even if it was added just for Echoes, being able to rewind does a lot to help with how annoying the jank could be sometimes and just being able to reset after accidentally moving someone or using the wrong spell or something is really appreciated. I hope it's in future games, even if just for easy mode or something.

Story's pretty solid too, which is not something I say often about FE games. It's not the most interesting thing in the world but it's got consistent themes and something to say, characters act according to their personality and motivation even when it's something dumb and I don't like it. Alm and Celica are pretty strong protagonists, again they're not super amazing characters, but they have arcs and flaws and are super connected to the themes and the events of the story, I like them. Good characters all round honestly, some bland supports aside, and it's helped by the voice acting. Gray and Mathilda are probably up there as far as my favourite FE characters go, Mae too, and most of the others are still really likeable and fun.

All in all a really good video game. Hope it does well for IS and they make more remakes in the future.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Honestly this is a 10/10 FE game for me and probably my favourite fire emblem game period after FE7. It's incredibly highly polished, the voice acting adds a ton, the story is legit good, and if the maps are slightly weak the varied and uniquely interesting gameplay elements more than make up for it.

Like I'm honestly stunned by just how fantastic a FE game this was.

Also, for whatever reason, I didn't really mind or notice the bad maps outside of a few noticeable exceptions. For whatever reason, it didn't bother me like it did in Awakening.

Mila's turnwheel is also probably the best FE innovation since supports too.

E: actually I know what to compare it to now. It's a better FE8 if you played both Eirika's and Ephraim's route and the game was twice as long (in a good way).

There's basically nothing - other than the maps - that I dislike about the game.

And even then it's such a minor issue, bizarrely, compared to how good literally everything else about it is.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 24, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I honestly think the voice quality in the game automatically papers over any of the deficiencies in the maps. but Archer Hell was really bad! I think my Celica is a lot better than my Alm

also Catria and Palla have one of the better supports in the game, but they're all good

another question: do the clerics/mages gain the spells they missed out on if they promote early?

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 24, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
An FE5, FE7, or FE9 remake with this level of aesthetic polish would probably be my literal favorite game of all time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think people are high on this game (me included) 'cause it's just a fire emblem game that's actually fun to play, unlike awakening and fates. i take back everything nice i said about conquest. it has worse map design than gaiden. <--- not a troll post

except the chapter where you defend against takumi. that one's pretty legit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

another question: do the clerics/mages gain the spells they missed out on if they promote early?
yes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Awakening was fun. Conquest and Birthright, mixed together in roughly equal proportions, would be fun--the problem with each is more lack of map variety than fundamental map problems

None of them really stand up to repeated replays though but judging them on how you feel when confronted with booting them up for the third or fourth or fifth time isn't really fair when this game is still in its honeymoon phase

The aesthetics of this game absolutely will not fade when the honeymoon is over I guarantee. The gameplay easily could.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It's kinda silly Nuibaba needed to lure Alm out when just a map ago Lukas was all gung-ho about telling Alm to fight her to get the support of the people.

Considering plenty of people still manage to gently caress it up and go left first, they probably needed more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean I've played gaiden 3-4 times so I don't think it's unfair to compare conquest's maps to it. conquest didn't have map design it just had stupid gimmicks, a lot of the maps were still basically boxes or strings of chokepoints, there was no thought put into enemy placement or terrain, it's just you'd get blown around by a wind machine or have a button to freeze every enemy to make up for the fact that the enemy placement was basically gaiden with higher damage and hit rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The wind map is the worst map in conquest and I can think of three worse maps in this game off the top of my head, with a few more arguable ones

• Locked thread