Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As long as his cornflakes homonculi remains everything will be alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Also Duke Amiel du Hardcore.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Finally, the dumbest possible opinion has been posted in this thread.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/sirfoch-statement/

statement from wargaming likely in response to jim's video, it's sure something

it's loving insane that things even got as far as they did, this is a huge company and their game is insanely popular, how did this happen?????

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

cat doter posted:

it's loving insane that things even got as far as they did, this is a huge company and their game is insanely popular, how did this happen?????

because they wanted money

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

e X posted:

Finally, the dumbest possible opinion has been posted in this thread.

Don't tempt fate

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey guis I just created a zizekian post modern marx reading of the Star Wars prequel trilogy and-

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cat doter posted:

And Jim Sterling brings another scummy developer to its knees, they kissed the ring of the #1 Kissboy and Thanked God for Jim loving Sterling Son for showing them the way.

https://youtu.be/DpG4t54g2fk

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 24, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Hey guis I just created a zizekian post modern marx reading of the Star Wars prequel trilogy and-

Last night I shot an acklay in my pajamas

How it GOT in my pajamas I'll never know

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Watched a few of the recent Nostalgia Critics. (Hey, look, I'm at home full time on parental leave, chasing after a toddler. Sometimes I just need something mindless on in the background that I don't have to pay much attention to).

I try not to rag on NC too much because #TooEasy and #WeAlreadyKnow, but this one's just been bugging me. It was one of the recent few vids (you can find it yourself, I'm not scrubbing through them again). He makes a joke about Bill Clinton, then Bill O'Reily, then Bill Cosby-- then makes some comment "Wait, are, like, all people named Bill adulterers".

And I'm-- like-- Doug-- you just made a Bill Cosby reference. Do-- do you think that adulterers and rapists are the same thing? Because-- {sigh} loving hell.

SO ANYWAYS just to balance things outs, let me give a huge THUMBS UP RECCO to Dan's casual gaming streams. Each episode is about 5 hours, and the main entertainment comes partially from the commentary on the game, but mostly on the train-of-thought conversations he and his guests have. Film theory-- gamification of the military vs. gamification of the police-- the death of the AAA "movie tie in" game brought on by the fall of Blockbuster-- lots of really good stuff. Since each stream is ~5 hours long, and is very casual, it's perfect to have on in the background. A+ will watch more. The vids are unlisted as not to pollute his main Folding Ideas feed, so here's the link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgPKmF5rEZ5rFrEJSPLSJuIQENYvGbfht

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Doug Walker doesn't understand nuance and fumbles an easy joke, news at 11.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lornekates posted:

I try not to rag on NC too much because #TooEasy and #WeAlreadyKnow, but this one's just been bugging me. It was one of the recent few vids (you can find it yourself, I'm not scrubbing through them again). He makes a joke about Bill Clinton, then Bill O'Reily, then Bill Cosby-- then makes some comment "Wait, are, like, all people named Bill adulterers".

And I'm-- like-- Doug-- you just made a Bill Cosby reference. Do-- do you think that adulterers and rapists are the same thing? Because-- {sigh} loving hell.

Bill O' did not have Fox pay money on his behalf for adultery, either.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ApeHawk posted:

because they wanted money

that's probably not a very effective strategy

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I dunno if these guys have been brought up in this thread before, but I just came across them.

8-bit Music Theory talks about the music theory of video game music. It's a bit technical, so you might not get everything if you don't already have some music theory knowledge, but its interesting regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGqN1ZOEJQ

Brockrin talks about... stuff. It seems kind of unfocused, with some focus on the editing in media (I'm not sure, because I haven't watched every single one of his videos yet, but he seems to work in editing in some capacity). He did a tongue-in-cheek video about the recent "Car Boys" finale of the McElroy crew on Polygon that garnered far more attention than any of his other videos. The rest of them are pretty short little musing about media that I'm planning on looking into more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngzsJOY71c

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mischalaniouse posted:

I dunno if these guys have been brought up in this thread before, but I just came across them.

8-bit Music Theory talks about the music theory of video game music. It's a bit technical, so you might not get everything if you don't already have some music theory knowledge, but its interesting regardless.

I just started watching a couple of his videos! My music theory is kind of garbage (I learned some piano as a kid), but I liked the few breakdowns of games I know and/or love, and look forward to understanding more about music by osmosis.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Car Boys was so loving good. I waited every Thursday night to watch it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mischalaniouse posted:

I wonder what he'd think of the Drakengard soundtrack, which is basically contemporary music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6OKs0zvj88

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I love music theory stuff (you kinda have to to make it) so I'll be looking in to that stuff. I think I've seen them recommended to me but I never got around to watching them

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was honestly wondering if Night Mind knew of Petscop and wanted to make a video and sure enough, he did one!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

watho posted:

I love music theory stuff (you kinda have to to make it) so I'll be looking in to that stuff. I think I've seen them recommended to me but I never got around to watching them

I've been writing music for many years now almost totally without a good theory basis, and yeah it's harder that way and I've always meant to fix that, need to find the time though

like coming up with stuff on a guitar then transcribing the notes slowly because I don't just know what frets are what notes, it's a tedious process

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

I was honestly wondering if Night Mind knew of Petscop and wanted to make a video and sure enough, he did one!

It's interesting that he actually argues against the Candace Newmaker theory and cites tenuous connections. (I personally feel like it matches pretty well, especially given a theme of adoption and child abuse, but whatever.)

I did like the extra info on the Seuss book, which seems to match up well. I guess time will tell whether there's any merit in the other theorizing.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

lornekates posted:

Watched a few of the recent Nostalgia Critics. (Hey, look, I'm at home full time on parental leave, chasing after a toddler. Sometimes I just need something mindless on in the background that I don't have to pay much attention to).

SO ANYWAYS just to balance things outs, let me give a huge THUMBS UP RECCO to Dan's casual gaming streams. Each episode is about 5 hours, and the main entertainment comes partially from the commentary on the game, but mostly on the train-of-thought conversations he and his guests have. Film theory-- gamification of the military vs. gamification of the police-- the death of the AAA "movie tie in" game brought on by the fall of Blockbuster-- lots of really good stuff. Since each stream is ~5 hours long, and is very casual, it's perfect to have on in the background. A+ will watch more. The vids are unlisted as not to pollute his main Folding Ideas feed, so here's the link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgPKmF5rEZ5rFrEJSPLSJuIQENYvGbfht

One can argue that the power dynamic between Clinton's and Monica Lewinsky relationship was so tipped in Clinton's favour that maybe she felt she couldn't refuse his advances... But the real answer is that Doug can't write jokes good.

I'll look up those streams. Always looking for stuff to play in the background while doing house work and other stuff.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Lindsay Ellis has released Part 3 of her series on film critique by way of Michael Bay's Transformers. It features hot Transformers slash fanfiction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of transformers Phelous recently put out a pair of videos talking about the idiotic moments of Transformers Headmasters. Featuring a Malaysian English dub that sounds like if Dingo studios dubbed an anime.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A little late, but this guy put up a video doing a good job explaining some of Yooka-Laylee's design flaws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeU1bSsLerM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Folding Ideas a good dude or was he one of those dudes with the caveat of being a nutjob? I've been watching his video on Suicide Squad's editing and it's pretty good.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Folding Ideas a good dude or was he one of those dudes with the caveat of being a nutjob? I've been watching his video on Suicide Squad's editing and it's pretty good.

No, he's super cool. He posts in this thread sometimes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He made a video that treated the concept of toxic masculinity seriously, but in his defense the concept was in fashion at the time.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He made a video that treated the concept of toxic masculinity seriously, but in his defense the concept was in fashion at the time.

are you saying that's not actually a thing worth taking seriously, I dunno why that requires a defence

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Toxic masculinity is real, yo.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

it also has like properly studiable effects on culture and violence and stuff it's real as gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was going to make a reply about how if there is any film/book that toxic masculinity applied to, it was Fight Club, and that just so happens to be the subject of the video.

Then I saw it was BOTL and deleted everything in the post but this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bravest of the lamps loves to sit around all day in a big ol diapey and take big squishy shits in it and mush it around with his butt

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

one tiume a person opn tumblr used this academic term wrong and now you can't say it anymore because it's not real nyway bye

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's an idea by and for college educated middle class Americans, like the concept of privilege. It's based on criticizing individual behaviour under the guise of systemic criticism, again like privilege, where oppression is seem as a problem in an individual that they need to correct\unlearn. And it's an idea that's broad to the point of uselessness.

E: Not to mention that it's an overly complicated synonym for 'machismo'.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 25, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You would be against privilege.

It's the most pseudo intellectual contrarian thing you could do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's an idea by and for college educated middle class Americans, like the concept of privilege. It's based on criticizing individual behaviour under the guise of systemic criticism, again like privilege, where oppression is seem as a problem in an individual that they need to correct\unlearn. And it's an idea that's broad to the point of uselessness.

wut? You just contradicted yourself in the space of one sentence.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bravest of the lamps drinks only the finest imported urine, sourced deep in the jungles of Myanmar.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

sometimes I think the dunning-kruger effect isn't a real thing but then I read posts like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Never mind I grocked what he was saying. It's just stupid not contradicting. For to summarize lamp's position "Systemic issues shouldn't be examined people who claim to be studying them aren't actually studying them but are instead my mom in disguise telling me to behave."

• Locked thread