Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

Down here it's called "Getting your Jesus". You sin your rear end off and repent on Sundays. It's an intellectual bypass that allows everything to be all right because you can treat people like garbage but if you intend to ask for forgiveness later you have cover. Also I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, because you have to be truly sorry, and if you were truly sorry you wouldn't repeat the same bad behavior over and over again only to later ask for forgiveness. You can do this if you're struggling to course correct, but if you just ask God for forgiveness ever time you treat someone like garbage I don't think it's supposed to work.

Could be wrong though.

Yeah that isn't what Jesus taught at all, especially when you see how unbelievably judgmental these people tend to be toward others. Really the whole point was "you will screw up but as long as you're trying to be a continually better person and sincerely apologize when you screw up God is OK with you." Like yes, God will forgive almost any sin but you have to be making an effort to be a good person. Deliberately being horrible 6 days a week is...not how that works.

Egbert Souse posted:

If you're against homosexuality, all you have to do is just not gently caress people of your own sex. Simple is that. What two consenting adults do is their business and their business alone.

A lot of it is just about envy. Some people can't stand seeing two people in love like that, except outside societal norms. One of my former co-workers is a lesbian and she just married her long-time partner. I looked at some of the wedding photos and the look of joy on their faces is incredible. What right does anyone have to deny people that?

I'd rather see someone act comfortably and naturally rather than change who they are to make other people happy. If someone is happier as a woman instead of a man or a woman as a man, support them.

Yeah that's my thought really and I think some of the worst offenders are either miserable in their marriages or actually gay. Or both. It turns out that "get married really young, never leave any marriage, ever" doesn't work all that well. When the gay marriage hooplah really started my thought was best summed up as "who gives a poo poo? Let them get married. Why are we even having this conversation?"

There are children literally starving to death in America, income inequality is high and rising, people are dying of easily preventable disease because they can't afford to see a doctor, we have home-grown terrorists literally murdering people routinely, and our politicians are nakedly corrupt but that's not important! What's important is that two men might be kissing each other somewhere and enjoying it a lot. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I was forced to and I hated having my time stolen from me. I also volunteered in other small ways but none of those were apparently good enough. I understood why but apparently volunteer work only counted with my teacher if you could punch a clock rather than being kind in general.

That year I had a choice off a list and none of them were working with kids for some reason which would've been good on a resume' as I was in education at the time. Instead I worked with old people in an assisted living center and it was depressing.

A few months later I did volunteer to read to some children which was super cool because they were happy to be read to, but I wasn't forced to do this so the experience was 100% different.

I guess it was mostly a problem with the strategy to get me to go and being volunteered instead of volunteering put a sour taste in my mouth about it even to this day. Also being a working student and scheduling conflicts were bad too.

I get why it would work for some people, but like much in education everyone learns and grows differently and some strategies aren't going to be effective.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. I can't defend whatever program you experienced and its fundamentally different from the thing I'm describing where they were dealing with young and impressionable kids and clearly trying to teach them a lesson about compassion and charity. But a lot of your argument kind of sounds like you're coming at it from how it affected you. You couldn't use it to help your major or it was a depressing experience. When like the entire point I'm arguing is to try and show kids that a sacrifice of your own time or pleasure for the betterment of people suffering can be a good and rewarding thing in and of itself. For whatever reason you clearly didn't get that experience from it, which is a shame. But maybe you helped some people out, which would be a good thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2017

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

FizFashizzle posted:

The GOP has been running in some form or fashion against Hillary Clinton for the past 25 years.

It's going to be pretty interesting watching them try to make up something to beat on as effective as her.

I said earlier that one of the things dragging Fox down now is they can't really bring her up anymore. I mean they're trying, god bless them.

You might say Hillary's political career died for our sins?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

wow. Based on those two state-level special elections, my opinion on Rob Quist for Thursday went from about 25% to coin flip. He might actually win Montana's seat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you want to know how a not insignificant number of Christians view sin and penance, just read a Jack Chick tract.

So many of the tracts are about good people doing good deeds who go to hell on some Bible phrasing technicality while the literal child molester gets into Heaven because he accepted Christ and said he was sorry.

Being good to people is hard. What interpretation can I use to justify my horrible behavior, look down on people better than me, and still get into Heaven?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The number one video on youtube is Melania swatting trumps hand

7.6 million views

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

wow. Based on those two state-level special elections, my opinion on Rob Quist for Thursday went from about 25% to coin flip. He might actually win Montana's seat.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Montana and Georgia. If the dems win both seats, it might finally make the republicans start actually turning on trump to try to save themselves. There are few safe seats anywhere in that case, even if the elections were held before whatever retarded bullshit trump will fill the time between now and 2018 with.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want her to file for divorce. I want to see the Trump trainwreck that would result.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

STAC Goat posted:

I think the most common question I get from non-religious people when they find out I'm Catholic is "so you get to just confess your sins and you're ok?" To which the answer is always "no, its more complicated than that. You can be forgiven but you have to be truly sorry and you'll be given penance. And like if its small stuff you might just have to pray but if you were mean to your mom the priest might tell you to go apologize and if you don't you're not forgiven. And if you like kill someone your penance is definitely going to include confessing to the crime and doing what you can to make up for the life you took. So its not some clean slate just because you whispered in a closet."

But on the flip side on Easter Sunday Meet the Press had a Jesuit Priest, a lady Rabbi, and an Evangelical preacher on and after the Priest talked about the importance of actions the Evangelical just straight up said "Its funny because I used to think that but then I converted and found out that its not what you do, its just about whether you accept Jesus." So there's definitely a whole wing of American Christians who just see it as a hall pass and probably some churches actively selling it that way.

We Catholics did that back in Medieval times but we went full on with you having to buy your forgiveness. No cheap short cuts.

Thank you for the nuanced response!

I find it funny, because selling indulgences were one of the biggest criticisms of the Catholic church. However many protestant churches have seemed to have skipped that process entirely and just ask for the money outright. You can ask for forgiveness, the church enables that, you give money to the church, repeat. Thoughtfulness and course corrections and guilt don't really have to enter the process, though they can. I have met poo poo heels in my life who think they're holy because they got to church and are awful people but think they're saved because they got baptized that one time.

STAC Goat posted:

Look, I don't know what to tell you. I can't defend whatever program you experienced and its fundamentally different from the thing I'm describing where they were dealing with young and impressionable kids and clearly trying to teach them a lesson about compassion and charity. But a lot of your argument kind of sounds like you're coming at it from how it affected you. You couldn't use it to help your major or it was a depressing experience. When like the entire point I'm arguing is to try and show kids that a sacrifice of your own time or pleasure for the betterment of people suffering can be a good and rewarding thing in and of itself. For whatever reason you clearly didn't get that experience from it, which is a shame. But maybe you helped some people out, which would be a good thing.

Not trying to ruffle your feathers. Sorry buddy. :(

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 24, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ignore this post, it was wrong fake news

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Y'know, I was just thinking that it probably wouldn't be too long before someone revealed that the ads were a bunch of bullshit, I'm glad that everything is working as fast as the Trump Impeachment Train these days.

I work in healthcare and I might be making that up but every single complaint generally boils down to

1. someone not paying attention when picking their plan and picking a doctor out of network or
2. someone not updating their financial information and losing their subsidy in january (full disclosure i did this and it took 2 months to fix)

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The number one video on youtube is Melania swatting trumps hand

7.6 million views

I hope he doesn't beat/berate her over this :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Feral Integral posted:

"I find Trump beating his wife to be deeply disturbing." --John McCain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Montana and Georgia. If the dems win both seats, it might finally make the republicans start actually turning on trump to try to save themselves. There are few safe seats anywhere in that case, even if the elections were held before whatever retarded bullshit trump will fill the time between now and 2018 with.

I'm right outside that district and while I've seen lots of feel-good "this is what I'm going to do in Congress" commercials for Ossoff, I've only seen negative attack ads from Handel. I don't even recall seeing Karen Handel speak in her ads, although I'm sure she has. She's just got all the personality of a wet sock and honestly isn't well thought of even in Republican circles.

That said she'll take 40% of the vote without even trying, so it's still a tough win for the Democrats. Last I heard Ossoff was leading by 2. The debate in a week or two is going to be fun.

Feral Integral posted:

Would the Secret Service harm the President to protect the First Lady, since technically they're responsible for the safety of both?

It's as if Schrodinger's cat was orange and the box was made of cardboard with TRuMp scrawled in crayon above the door flap.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 24, 2017

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I will never get tired of the subtle shade Obama's WH photographer keeps throwing at Trump.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867213078462689280

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that isn't what Jesus taught at all, especially when you see how unbelievably judgmental these people tend to be toward others. Really the whole point was "you will screw up but as long as you're trying to be a continually better person and sincerely apologize when you screw up God is OK with you." Like yes, God will forgive almost any sin but you have to be making an effort to be a good person. Deliberately being horrible 6 days a week is...not how that works.

I think it's a logical extension of faith without works. Show up, get saved, donate money, go home, be a piece of poo poo for six days. Repeat. If there's no imperative on works then people will take it to the conclusion of, "And I can be an rear end in a top hat too".

I live in the South and Christianity is widely accepted here, but I also think it's shallowly accepted by and large too. Too many cultural Christians watering down the message who only go because someone else expects them to or because it's where all your friends go. That sort of thing. Christianity casts too wide a net and most people I meet never made a choice to become Christians. They were indoctrinated as children and were expected to stay that way rather than making a conscious effort to reason out whether they wanted to be one or not. Most didn't have that choice.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm right outside that district and while I've seen lots of feel-good "this is what I'm going to do in Congress" commercials for Ossoff, I've only seen negative attack ads from Handel. I don't even recall seeing Karen Handel speak in her ads, although I'm sure she has. She's just got all the personality of a wet sock and honestly isn't well thought of even in Republican circles.

That said she'll take 40% of the vote without even trying, so it's still a tough win for the Democrats. Last I heard Ossoff was leading by 2. The debate in a week or two is going to be fun.

Apparently it's 7 points now.

Still going in for early voting to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

Having spent more and more time around Christians (Atheist in sheep's clothing at a church) I see the depths of peoples' faith and how it influences their lives and perceptions in ways I can't really begin to comprehend. The concept of all trusting faith is alien to me and though I can talk to these people and get along they will always have a mindset which is alien to me.

So when you say, "Why can't people have sex if they want, with whom they want and getting married to whom they want?" the answer is, "Because I have a moral imperative to stop evil." So them being left alone is what they want, but they can't leave these topics alone because they are pitted against them because they wish to oppose Satan.

If you're non-religious it won't make sense to you unless you spend time around these people. I see their unguarded moments as they testify. Sweet little ladies who raise polite and intelligent children have strong feelings about opposing evil despite their otherwise demure demeanor.

They wish to be left alone, but cannot leave you alone because they feel an obligation to do so.

It really ends up being more about homosexuality being evil because they're breaking from societal norms and not in a relationship with a primary purpose of procreation. I think a lot of it is about this hive mentality.

What I find horrifying is that someone has to live a lie to make other people happy rather than make themselves happy. If anything, our purpose in life should be to share happiness.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ramos posted:

"I find Trump beating his wife to be deeply disturbing." --John McCain.

Then proceeds to cut funding for abused women's shelters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

empty whippet box posted:

Don't be optimistic. It's way too early for that.

I'm kindof expecting some last minute vote fuckery in both races.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What if the reason Melania plagiarized Michelle Obama was to intentionally hurt her husband, back in the halcyon days when we were all so naive as to think stuff like that still might ~*matter*~?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Melania is the leak source :tinfoil:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Melania leaves Trump because she says she knows he's a traitor and she loves America too much to stay with him

Reveals she only stayed with him this long because of his Alzheimer's

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Egbert Souse posted:

Melania is the leak source :tinfoil:

Ivanka is the one giving it to Melania and is part of a decades long scheme to get payback for divorcing Ivana.:tinfoil:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thank you for the nuanced response!

I find it funny, because selling indulgences were one of the biggest criticisms of the Catholic church. However many protestant churches have seemed to have skipped that process entirely and just ask for the money outright. You can ask for forgiveness, the church enables that, you give money to the church, repeat. Thoughtfulness and course corrections and guilt don't really have to enter the process, though they can. I have met poo poo heels in my life who think they're holy because they got to church and are awful people but think they're saved because they got baptized that one time.
I mean, there's probably a lot of implied payment in those churches. Like you need to give your tithe or at the donation basket or whatever business help the church asks of you if you want to stay in good standing with the church. So they might not ask directly for pay for your indulgences like the Catholic Church did but its known on some level that if you hope to get forgiveness in your time of need you better be there for the church in their time of need. Wink, wink. They're just less blatant about it.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Not trying to ruffle your feathers. Sorry buddy. :(
No apology necessary. My experience and your experience were different. I got something out of it that you didn't. That's a shame because I think what I got out of it was good and it sounds like what you got out of it was bad. I think there's merit in the concept but obviously it can be done wrong and there's no guarantee of it working. But I didn't want to like inadvertently insult you or make it seem like I was calling your selfish or anything. A lot of what I'm suggesting is that to instill a sense of charity in kids is in part to convince them that there's a selfish benefit of satisfaction and personal fulfillment from doing charity at a young age before all those selfish goals or needs like time, schedule, resume, etc kick in. On some level I think most people who do charity work are on some level getting a selfish sense of worth from it. But that can be good or bad, just as our experience can be good or bad.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Well in my fanfiction, Melania is secretly training Barron in New York to, shall we say, forcibly inherit the throne.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Egbert Souse posted:

It really ends up being more about homosexuality being evil because they're breaking from societal norms and not in a relationship with a primary purpose of procreation. I think a lot of it is about this hive mentality.

What I find horrifying is that someone has to live a lie to make other people happy rather than make themselves happy. If anything, our purpose in life should be to share happiness.

I don't think it's just that, though sex as not the sole means of procreation is a factor. Not that they have sex without procreation, but are incapable of having it in a gay relationship. Most Christians I know wouldn't bat an eye at the thought of having sex for fun so long as you're married for instance.

As for living a lie, it's not uncommon to live for others. Some people live almost solely for others which I feel can be taken to extremes and become self-destructive.

When someone tells me that homosexuality is a choice I ask them the vanilla ice cream question. Simply, "Do you like vanilla ice cream? Okay, when did you make a choice to like it? You just discovered that you liked, disliked. were ambivalent about it or somewhere between". After asking this question to them about several topics I'll ask about sexuality. "When did you make the conscious choice to be attracted to your preferred sex?" Odds are they didn't. They only discovered that. Being gay or straight isn't a light switch one can turn on or off. It's just one of many preferences which we have little to no control over. There are of course defenses against this, but attacking choice and free will as a concept is pretty powerful. Especially since I try my best not to phrase it like a gotcha question.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Melania leaves Trump because she says she knows he's a traitor and she loves America too much to stay with him

Reveals she only stayed with him this long because of his Alzheimer's

We must strive for this good timeline.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I remember the same stupid rumors about W Bush coming out about alzheimers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goddamn

https://twitter.com/IrisRimon/status/867086214490402817

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Starmaker posted:

Well in my fanfiction, Melania is secretly training Barron in New York to, shall we say, forcibly inherit the throne.

The body politic has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, there's probably a lot of implied payment in those churches. Like you need to give your tithe or at the donation basket or whatever business help the church asks of you if you want to stay in good standing with the church. So they might not ask directly for pay for your indulgences like the Catholic Church did but its known on some level that if you hope to get forgiveness in your time of need you better be there for the church in their time of need. Wink, wink. They're just less blatant about it.

Whether active or passive I think the outcome is the same, though the emphasis isn't. Attend our church. Be saved. Sins be gone. Give us money. Indulgences aren't explicit anymore, but the idea behind them or at least the general thrust is still implicit. We need money to pay our preacher and stay open, therefor money is good and therefor you are good if you give money for us to stay open. Be good and give us money.

quote:

No apology necessary. My experience and your experience were different. I got something out of it that you didn't. That's a shame because I think what I got out of it was good and it sounds like what you got out of it was bad. I think there's merit in the concept but obviously it can be done wrong and there's no guarantee of it working. But I didn't want to like inadvertently insult you or make it seem like I was calling your selfish or anything. A lot of what I'm suggesting is that to instill a sense of charity in kids is in part to convince them that there's a selfish benefit of satisfaction and personal fulfillment from doing charity at a young age before all those selfish goals or needs like time, schedule, resume, etc kick in. On some level I think most people who do charity work are on some level getting a selfish sense of worth from it. But that can be good or bad, just as our experience can be good or bad.

Not offended or trying to be offensive. Just trying to keep conversations interesting and friendly is all. :)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Starmaker posted:

That plan didnt work out well for any of the Lannisters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Starmaker posted:

Pfft, like Donald would ever go hunt a wild pig with a spear.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a recently going back to church Catholic, this discussion fascinates me. One thing I've noticed is that the interpretation still varies a lot between parishes. Bigger ones tend to stay apolitical (except hot button poo poo like abortion) but smaller ones will tend to address issues at hand. There's a church in Seattle that regularly discusses Black Lives Matter that I go to. I never would have seen that in the church I grew up in the suburbs.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pfft, like Donald would ever go hunt a wild pig with a spear.

There's a Chris Christie joke in there, Im just not witty enough to make it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't be optimistic. It's way too early for that.

I'm kindof expecting some last minute vote fuckery in both races.

gently caress that, I'm on the optimistic mattering train.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blitz7x posted:

I remember the same stupid rumors about W Bush coming out about alzheimers

"A republican with secret Alzheimer's" is not a far fetched thing that has never happened. There is a reason it's on people's list of "things republicans cover up"

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Furnaceface posted:

That plan didnt work out well for any of the Lannisters.

While I don't deny that Barron would be a worse president than Donald, this pathway does eventually lead to Melania blowing up all of his most fanatically religious supporters, and I think we can all agree that that's at least an interesting outcome.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Orb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

I will never get tired of the subtle shade Obama's WH photographer keeps throwing at Trump.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/867213078462689280

Reminder Fox News had some bs about if it's improper for the Obama POTUS and FLOTUS to fistbump and what this "rapper gesture" means for-oijfwkyghweri4jtfghwer49uhgftwer4ufhgweurffuckfoxfuckfoxfuckfoxfuckfoxfuckfoxfuckfoxfuckfox

• Locked thread