Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Claytor posted:

I understand that, empirically, the worst game I own is probably Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, but I've got kind of a soft spot for it. Worst I've ever played could very well go to the SNES version of Last Action Hero.

Our own Frankomatic did a quick play through of this and it seems like knowing the actual premise of the game would make it slightly more tolerable. Jekyll having very little defences against the constant aggressors is probably the biggest offender.

Old video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtV0oHoWk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Most of the hacks that run on real hardware are straightforward translation patches of games like Sin & Punishment, or are extra weapons/levels/etc for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye (since there was such a community for building those things using very long GameShark code lists put on the gameshark over the PC port connection).

One of the most impressive ones is "Goldeneye X" which brings in every official GoldenEye multiplayer map and all the weapons from that game to the Perfect Dark engine, essentially so that you can play them with the better framerates of Perfect Dark.

There's also a couple of Ocarina Of Time mods that change the map/add new quests and run properly on a real console, I forget the names.

One big set of mods that definitely don't work: nearly every Mario 64 hack. Because the common tools to hack Mario 64 were never tested against anything close to an accurate emulator. So most of them crash very quickly. Among the ones that do work are "Mario 74" and "Mario Sky Stories" though older versions of them do not work.

The Mario situation is funny because Super Mario World romhacks had the exact same problem for a long time.

I'll check these out, thanks! Anyone know of some good Mario kart 64 mods?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Windows CE stuff on the Dreamcast got used in something like 100 of the games that got released, which isn't too shabby for a system that only got about 700 games in its lifespan. Microsoft had a lot of time spent on the Windows CE/DirectX stuff to make porting from Windows to Dreamcast easy, and continued those sorts of efforts in the design of the Xbox.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll check these out, thanks! Anyone know of some good Mario kart 64 mods?

I don't think there are any Mario Kart 64 mods that run on the real hardware yet, though the guy who's making an editor for Mario Kart 64 tracks expects his program will output real-hardware-compatible ROMs soon.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

For my part, when I started doing runs with the intention of breaking my personal record, I thought "I should grab a stool. I will be here for a while." However, maybe due to the style of game Gyruss is (maybe), I'm better at playing it standing up.

This would make four-year-old WFYG very sad, as his first Gyruss experience was a cocktail cab.

It's all personal preference really. I think in one of the runs I linked you can watch me fall off my bar stool because the top of it was broken and I didn't realize it. At any rate, I think you'd probably be fine sitting, you just have to get used to it if it's not how you usually play. I still managed to set a record standing up, it's just that by the end of it I was shifting feet and trying to adjust my weight like crazy. I WOULD have been sitting, but I hadn't started that game intending to make it a record run and realized it was a record run pretty far into it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you have your runs up on YouTube at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JVvYI3XIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RW-BZqHWQ

There's two of them, they're both quite long and I don't know how interesting endless ghost fetus punching is to you but enjoy~

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's interesting watching anything that someone is considered the best at

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

d0s posted:

Also personally I feel like the ~aesthetic~ of the xbox is the total antithesis of the dreamcast's and that always divided them in my mind, it's kind of a dumb reason but I really hated everything about the xbox's industrial design while liking the DCs a whole lot (talking about colors, UI, case design, etc). When I first got a DC it seemed like a device from some future utopia, XB's design turned that on it's head so perfectly it felt like it came from the inverted "bad future"

:v:

2001 kind of was the inverted bad future to 1998. The chunky black case is at least an improvement on what could have been. Imagine having this thing collecting dust and fingerprints on your living room floor https://mobile.twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/798583243087880192

I like how you can get one of these in DOAX and give it to Tina.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Buh?

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/867072063533707265

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:popeye:

Bring out the Virtual Console, Nintendo! :argh:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Why? So everyone can bitch it out?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Why? So everyone can bitch it out?

Sure. But I want it.

Also, following Kamiya produces nice surprises.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/867076328994091008

He owns a FDSStick. :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1) this makes me want a switch even more now
2) please, PLEASE don't patch this out, Nintendo

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The 8bitdo site is getting destroyed by traffic.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) this makes me want a switch even more now
2) please, PLEASE don't patch this out, Nintendo

I don't think they can patch it out, it looks like the 8bitdo controller is basically emulating a joycon or pro controller.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In case any of you lot are trying to access the firmware but the site isn't cooperating, you can navigate to http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/ and get what you need.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I just realized I don't know where my 8bitdo controller is. :lol:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I have just made the greatest retrogame purchase of the year and I can't wait for it to arrive from Japan and let you all know about the greatness of the game Kawaii Usagi (or "Cute Bunny"). For those who need to see how cute this bunny is, here is the game's box:

Also, I purchased an unlabeled Game Boy cart so that'll be fun!

Finally, why are there so many Yugioh games for GameBoy and what's the best use for those carts since it's definitely not playing them?

Please post a follow-up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i still wish the xbox actually shipped as a giant x

it would have been so dumb

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good source for 360 RGB SCART cables? I want to play Third Strike Online Edition on my PVM in 240p now but I don't know who/where to buy from

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How is the response on those 8Bitdo controllers? For $50 CAD thats good for my NES classic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

How is the response on those 8Bitdo controllers? For $50 CAD thats good for my NES classic.

It's no different than any other bluetooth controller. Should be absolutely fine unless you have 2.4ghz interference somewhere. I have five of these controllers and they're all great.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It's no different than any other bluetooth controller. Should be absolutely fine unless you have 2.4ghz interference somewhere. I have five of these controllers and they're all great.

I have an SFC30 and and SNES dongle and it works great, haven't really used it on a computer. I guess the new firmware update for them allows them to work on the Switch.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/160990434147/8bitdo-controllers-work-with-switch-now-get-the

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Please post a follow-up.

They shipped it from Japan two days ago. I'm not going to be getting my Cute Bunny on for at least two weeks.

absolutely anything posted:

i still wish the xbox actually shipped as a giant x

it would have been so dumb

There would finally be a case less practical than the x68000.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tatsujin posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good source for 360 RGB SCART cables? I want to play Third Strike Online Edition on my PVM in 240p now but I don't know who/where to buy from

Er, doesn't the 360 only go as low as a proper 480i signal for the output? You'd need to run it through some sort of downscaler to make a "240p" signal.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

Er, doesn't the 360 only go as low as a proper 480i signal for the output? You'd need to run it through some sort of downscaler to make a "240p" signal.

Yeah, I was thinking about that and you might be right. I saw a PVM running the PS3 Third Strike Online Edition on composite at the gaming lounge last night and just assumed it was 240p for some dumb reason.

EDIT: did some research, I think a Extron 20X Rvi and SyncStrike would work in my case, but still reading up on it.

Tatsujin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 23, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

People have been asking for my old Genesis / Mega Drive overclock kits lately. If there's enough interest I can see what parts would cost and do a SA mart thread. I'd like to remake my old guide a little more professionally anyway. Anyone need to lose rings faster?

Random Stranger posted:

They shipped it from Japan two days ago. I'm not going to be getting my Cute Bunny on for at least two weeks.
I'll try to be patient.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

So what would you guys say is the worst game you've ever personally played, for me it's probably a tie between Superman 64 and that Shrek fighting game for the GBC(only good thing that ever came out of owning that turd was that Gamestop gave me 20 bucks for it when I traded it in, since I guess it was on the rare side of things)

Not the worst game I've ever played, but the Earthworm Jim GBA port was the only game I've ever returned to the store.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

All New Sonic posted:

Not the worst game I've ever played, but the Earthworm Jim GBA port was the only game I've ever returned to the store.

Bad ports are their own brand of awful because you know what you should be getting, and you know you're not getting it. Not quite retro, but the 3DS Rayman Origins port might be the game I've hated most immediately. Less than a minute in, and I realized I'd been duped. It feels like you're playing a low-res Bink video.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to freely confess up front, that I made an error when I bought this game. I mistook it for another game, and then it turns out to be part of a genre that I don't particularly care for. But if it's obscure enough for me to get mixed up with it, it's worth mentioning here.

You're a young man who has just arrived at a Caribbean island who wants to be a pirate. But there's an evil ghost pirate haunting the waves. So you get a ship and sail to his cannibal infested secret island in order to confront the ghost pirate and destroy him once and for all. Sadly, this is version of the story that is not accompanied by awesome music.

Captain Silver is a member of a genre I really don't like: the walk in one direction and hit attack when someone slowly approaches you genre. In total fairness, they do try to spice things up enough that I might be willing to give a better game more leeway, but guys running at you from the side or dropping at you from above is 98% of the gameplay in it. Your jumping is severely restricted unless you collect a power up so the very occasional platforming (which only becomes significant on the final stage) or branching paths just doesn't make it more exciting.

The most notable thing about Captain Silver are the collectables. Every enemy drops a card which may have a letter on it and if you manage to spell "Captain Silver" then you get an extra life. In addition there's one fairy on each stage that can give you a projectile attack. Sometimes you may find shops where you can sell your points for additional time, more shot power, the ability to jump higher, or to take a hit.

And that brings me to the big problem with Captain Silver: it's absurdly easy and absurdly short. There's four stages in this version (hang on and I'll get there) and I got halfway through the fourth stage on my first try. The only dangerous thing to me has been the jumping and that's due to the controls. Only stages two and four have bosses and the boss of stage two was such a push over I wondered why he was there.

So apparently what happened is the US Master System version was essentially chopped in half to save replication costs. They cut two levels, bosses, and reduced the sprites for the US version. While I doubt I would enjoy the Japanese/European version, I'd be willing to give it a shot just because the US version feels so stripped down. Also, there is a Famicom version which is essentially a completely different game.

FWIW, the game I got this mixed up with was Skull and Crossbones which also isn't a great game, but I thought the home version might be amusing.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I played the arcade version of that on one of my random MAME streams.

It's very not good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Since someone brought up Rayman, what would you guys say is the definitive version of the original game?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Since someone brought up Rayman, what would you guys say is the definitive version of the original game?
Saturn or PS1.

I mean, I say Saturn because I'm just partial to the Saturn in general - I forget if it really has anything over the PS1 version at all (the level clear music has some more punch to it, I guess, and I think the silly screen-morphing animations between stages aren't in the PS1 version?). Really, just getting it off PSN would do ya.

Oh, but do yourself a favor: don't even try beating the game within ten continues. Thing's just too long and too hard for even ten to really be worthwhile, IMO. Just do the cheat that resets your continue count to ten when you hit two (I think it's UDRL on the continue screen) and pretend the game's continues/lives system is meaningless; it offers up plenty of challenge without the specter of your save being unwinnable barring perfect play looming over everything.

There's also a PC version which is readily available on GOG, but I don't like it quite as much despite it being my first contact with the game; first level of Band Land's completely different, the Tings make popping noises instead of melodic "ding" noises, and the music tracks are smushed together into two tracks per world instead of each level having a single track assigned to it, which removes a bit of character from the whole thing. That said, it has extra levels where your goal is to grab 100 Tings and reach an exit, so that's cool I guess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shadow Hog posted:

Saturn or PS1.

I mean, I say Saturn because I'm just partial to the Saturn in general - I forget if it really has anything over the PS1 version at all (the level clear music has some more punch to it, I guess, and I think the silly screen-morphing animations between stages aren't in the PS1 version?). Really, just getting it off PSN would do ya.

Oh, but do yourself a favor: don't even try beating the game within ten continues. Thing's just too long and too hard for even ten to really be worthwhile, IMO. Just do the cheat that resets your continue count to ten when you hit two (I think it's UDRL on the continue screen) and pretend the game's continues/lives system is meaningless; it offers up plenty of challenge without the specter of your save being unwinnable barring perfect play looming over everything.

There's also a PC version which is readily available on GOG, but I don't like it quite as much despite it being my first contact with the game; first level of Band Land's completely different, the Tings make popping noises instead of melodic "ding" noises, and the music tracks are smushed together into two tracks per world instead of each level having a single track assigned to it, which removes a bit of character from the whole thing. That said, it has extra levels where your goal is to grab 100 Tings and reach an exit, so that's cool I guess.

Lucky for me I have the PS1 version(indeed one of the oldest games I own), although I'll need to get some new PS2 controllers before I can play it again any time soon

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
The PC version also has a level editor.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It sorta drives me nuts when a game doesn't have a definitive version.

So then I buy them all, playing right into the trap!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rayman 2 has the same problem - there are a million versions and one would think the newer ones would be the better versions but the Dreamcast version is still the one to play.

Rayman 3 doesn't have that same problem because noone gives a poo poo about Rayman 3.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Jaguar

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
man, when you use homebrew injections to remove the darkening and ghosting from the GBA implementation on 3DS and force native res, it looks so good. those scanlines.

same for 240p SNES titles.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Isn't the GBA implementation on the 3DS literally just telling the main processor that it's a GBA now?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It does some wok with Savefile management but yeah. It's a great way to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rayman 2 has the same problem - there are a million versions and one would think the newer ones would be the better versions but the Dreamcast version is still the one to play.

Rayman 3 doesn't have that same problem because noone gives a poo poo about Rayman 3.

If you have a monster computer PS2 Rayman 2: Revolution can be emulated with 60 fps and widescreen hacks, higher resolution, and custom shaders.

• Locked thread