Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jaegerx posted:

VMware is kinda nice. Vcloud is poo poo. So that's something decent from EMC Dell at least.

For real though, no one should ever buy EMC storage unless it's VMAX, and only that because you're swimming in money uptime is worth more than literally anything else.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We just gave up and only run them during full down maintenance windows because they gently caress up way too often to even attempt it during production. If it fucks up you still get your p1 ticket and a call back within two hours if you're lucky.

Putting in Tegile arrays now and they seem ok.

Tegile is...okay. They rely so heavily on the SSD layer for maintaining the dedupe table, and file system metadata, and read cache that the array falls over badly when it's full, and a lot of our Tegile customers have had that happen at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

stevewm posted:

You can use a software restriction policy to prevent EXE files from executing inside %appdata%. Stops things such as Dropbox, Spotify, Chrome user installs, etc...

Replying late to this, but how common is it for applications to install from here? Both of my company's products rely on the ability to execute files from appdata in some way and break horribly if this is blocked. I assume this is just a bad practice by our development team that no one is ever going to change because reasons.

One of our products reliably gets quarantined by antivirus software every time it installs an update. I joked that they need to stop including eicar.txt in their source but nobody got the joke. The officially supported fix is to add the appdata\local\temp folder to the AV exclusion list.

Man the more I post the more I feel the need to :toot:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Shouldn't legitimate programs use the program data or Windows temp folder for install files? Of course it requires carrying admin credentials through the installation, is this a problem for software engineers?

I honestly don't get why companies use appdata as an installation dumping ground. Based on adware abusing it I imagine it's just easier to get around designing proper permissions.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You should install into /opt and update apparmor and selinux to support your software.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

You should install into /opt and update apparmor and selinux to support your software.

Never stop posting

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm sick of EMC too, but god, who else in the storage game has enough reputation that the VPs are going to sign off on it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm sick of EMC too, but god, who else in the storage game has enough reputation that the VPs are going to sign off on it?

Buffalo

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Well I mean sure if this QNAP ever gives out on me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The 70 percent of the storage market that isn't EMC? NetApp, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Dell are the big ones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

Dell confuse me with their storage since they acquired so many vendors and then rebadged it all or left it to die. Are their Compellent and EqualLogic ranges being updated anymore now that the EMC merger happened?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

:vince:

Dell confuse me with their storage since they acquired so many vendors and then rebadged it all or left it to die. Are their Compellent and EqualLogic ranges being updated anymore now that the EMC merger happened?

EQL was dying its own death already and supposedly Compellent is getting killed off due to the acquisition.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

The 70 percent of the storage market that isn't EMC? NetApp, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Dell are the big ones.
Does anyone actually use Hitachi storage anymore? Everyone talks about them but I worked in data centers every day for 5 years and only encountered it once.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not really the same thing, but my only exposure to Hitachi storage was them trying very hard to win my previous company's business for their Amazon S3 object storage ripoff. My understanding is the offering was just getting off the ground, and they REALLY wanted a showpiece client to bring other users in (we would have been > 1 petabyte of production storage, so pretty legit usage). It did what we wanted on paper, and they were offering us ridiculous terms--something like a full year totally free. So we gave it a shot.

It was a total loving clown show. Our account team very obviously just said whatever we wanted to hear, whether or not it had any basis in reality. During the POC we'd have a weekly call with them and ask "hey does feature X exist" or "we tried Y and it didn't behave as expected". And every time the response was "uhhh let me check with engineering, I'll get back to you in a few days" *dev team furiously mashes keyboards* "Hey so yeah that feature totally exists! Weird you couldn't find it in the documentation before this exact second. Thanks for asking about it!"

Their post sales team wasn't any better. Multiple times our network engineer had to escalate issues up through their chain that had resolutions like "Hitachi whitelisted the wrong IP range by accident" or something. I ended up moving to a new job before the implementation was done, so I'm not totally sure if they ended up putting it into production or not.

I've heard their storage arrays are very much Just Works, no frills gear. Which is great for a lot of use cases. But holy hell would I never touch any Hitachi managed service again with a 10 foot pole.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon

Docjowles posted:

Not really the same thing, but my only exposure to Hitachi storage was them trying very hard to win my previous company's business for their Amazon S3 object storage ripoff. My understanding is the offering was just getting off the ground, and they REALLY wanted a showpiece client to bring other users in (we would have been > 1 petabyte of production storage, so pretty legit usage). It did what we wanted on paper, and they were offering us ridiculous terms--something like a full year totally free. So we gave it a shot.

It was a total loving clown show. Our account team very obviously just said whatever we wanted to hear, whether or not it had any basis in reality. During the POC we'd have a weekly call with them and ask "hey does feature X exist" or "we tried Y and it didn't behave as expected". And every time the response was "uhhh let me check with engineering, I'll get back to you in a few days" *dev team furiously mashes keyboards* "Hey so yeah that feature totally exists! Weird you couldn't find it in the documentation before this exact second. Thanks for asking about it!"

Their post sales team wasn't any better. Multiple times our network engineer had to escalate issues up through their chain that had resolutions like "Hitachi whitelisted the wrong IP range by accident" or something. I ended up moving to a new job before the implementation was done, so I'm not totally sure if they ended up putting it into production or not.

I've heard their storage arrays are very much Just Works, no frills gear. Which is great for a lot of use cases. But holy hell would I never touch any Hitachi managed service again with a 10 foot pole.

we have had an AMS2100 in production for around eight years and we haven't had a single issue with it. super reliable. if my company didn't downsize we would be going with them again without a question (NetApp is what we are looking at now).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

Does anyone actually use Hitachi storage anymore? Everyone talks about them but I worked in data centers every day for 5 years and only encountered it once.

Yup. Much like VMAX you usually only see them more traditional IT shops (popular in government) and places where uptime is the only major requirement because...

Docjowles posted:

is very true. The management sucks, the features and their implementations aren't great, and the performance isn't really anything special, but by god they stay up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

Look man I'm already the captain of one sinking ship.

That's my motto for 2017.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's my motto for 2017.

Sure, I'll cheers to that.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

Yup. Much like VMAX you usually only see them more traditional IT shops (popular in government) and places where uptime is the only major requirement because...
Coming from IBM I know this as the space the DS8000 fills, and I love me some DS8000 attached to a mainframe.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So uhh... Manchester has been a little blown up and I'm sat here in it's second tallest tower during the world's slowest evac, "Staggered" they said after sending home maybe 1/4 staff some couple hours ago, I think they forgot about the rest.

Pretty much putzing around/wrote a few clean up scripts/back and forth setting up emergency procedures with the voip system, fully expect to work the rest of the day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I was just made aware of how my company handles credit card payments and now I'm sufficiently terrified. What an awful process. We don't do a lot of credit card payments, mostly just checks in the mail as we're mainly B2B. We already have software that creates invoices and does all that fun stuff, but I would like to find a new way for us to accept credit card payments to the point where we're not under PCI. My thoughts are us exporting invoices in batch to CSV, then uploading that CSV and have this service send out emails or allow clients to log in and confirm payment with an invoice number. I'm totally out of my element here. Any suggestions other than "replace the invoicing software with something that has integrated online payments?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so I was just made aware of how my company handles credit card payments and now I'm sufficiently terrified. What an awful process. We don't do a lot of credit card payments, mostly just checks in the mail as we're mainly B2B. We already have software that creates invoices and does all that fun stuff, but I would like to find a new way for us to accept credit card payments to the point where we're not under PCI. My thoughts are us exporting invoices in batch to CSV, then uploading that CSV and have this service send out emails or allow clients to log in and confirm payment with an invoice number. I'm totally out of my element here. Any suggestions other than "replace the invoicing software with something that has integrated online payments?"

See if there's a stripe integration that would work for you. Or if you're so inclined, your use case is pretty basic, it may not be a big deal to integrate with Stripe on your own.

https://stripe.com/works-with

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So they're the villains who registered my domain name.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

See if there's a stripe integration that would work for you. Or if you're so inclined, your use case is pretty basic, it may not be a big deal to integrate with Stripe on your own.

https://stripe.com/works-with

Thanks!

I was looking at Stripe and saw their "Checkout" piece that was essentially somewhat pre-built, but didn't see this. Thank you. I doubt it integrates with what we're using and I want nothing to do with setting up something custom, but it is worth a quick look.

I seems like something like PaySimple might work - https://paysimple.com/faq.html
Basically implies it can do import/exports, so I'd hope that includes something like a CSV.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Just use stripe. Contact their support if you need integration help. Seriously. Just use stripe.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Evernote? Onenote? Something else?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

OneNote or Death.

Notepad++ aint bad either.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
just keep your notes in your head.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

adorai posted:

just keep your notes in your head.
No joke coming from the SMB world it took me so long to come to grips with this not being a thing at the Enterprise level. They're completely different worlds. I've gone from being able to tell you the entire service history of a particular server, to having absolutely no idea what those 60 VMs you're asking me about do.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

QuiverApp because gently caress the cloud.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No joke coming from the SMB world it took me so long to come to grips with this not being a thing at the Enterprise level. They're completely different worlds. I've gone from being able to tell you the entire service history of a particular server, to having absolutely no idea what those 60 VMs you're asking me about do.

After a decade in IT I'll admit it's not necessary but I'll tell it makes life easier. The difference with SMB vs. Enterprise is when you're working in the former you're always in the same environment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No joke coming from the SMB world

Life is simpler there:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Life is simpler there:

I laughed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No joke, that's what came to mind every time I heard that until a week or two-ago when it finally clicked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Virigoth posted:

QuiverApp because gently caress the cloud.
This is the wrongest possible answer

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

anthonypants posted:

This is the wrongest possible answer

I'm not even sure what the question was tbh. I use Quiver for my code snippets and markdown storage and it is perfectly fine. The ability to have a "code" cell with highlighting is nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If it's for yourself, any of those. If it's for a group, Confluence.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's for yourself, any of those. If it's for a group, Confluence.

Sharepoint

kill me now

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got to learn confluence. Anyone have tips on how to not gently caress up really bad? I'm coming from SharePoint, where people have hosed it up bad.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got to learn confluence. Anyone have tips on how to not gently caress up really bad? I'm coming from SharePoint, where people have hosed it up bad.

I also am in a similar situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really not hard to learn. They have a 10 user SaaS solution for $10 per month. Set up an account, takes 15 minutes, and start using it. I've had sales teams pick it up in a pretty quick fashion, so I'm sure anyone reading this thread would be fine.

JIRA on the other hand...

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2017