Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is it actually a winning strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why are the Murdoch sons cleaning house? The lawsuits or are they just disgusted with the network?

Well, they can likely read the writing on the wall about having to do something, anything, to get a younger audience. Figure out the right spot for the mid-50 demographic instead of the "70 and dying" they're at now. They still want to be a network of right-wing outrage, but want to tone it back a bit to be more sustainable because their current demographic is ancient and dying.

There's also the fact that a lot of the people they've been clearing out have been seen as more loyal to their father than them. Ailes likely would have kept trying to do his own damned thing if they didn't kick him out.

Also the endless scandals and payouts have started to get humiliating for them.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

What if the reason Melania plagiarized Michelle Obama was to intentionally hurt her husband, back in the halcyon days when we were all so naive as to think stuff like that still might ~*matter*~?

At the very end of her speech, she nearly word for word quoted Rick Ashley's never gonna give you up never gonna let you down, I just kinda assumed that was fully intentional.

And I'm not kidding about this either.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

KKKLIP ART posted:

Some fun timing on the Philippines conversation leak, because Duterte just declared marshal law on a good chunk of the country

I believe it's marital law, because he's going to gently caress the country.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

At the very end of her speech, she nearly word for word quoted Rick Ashley's never gonna give you up never gonna let you down, I just kinda assumed that was fully intentional.

Could you quote this for me? Having trouble finding it in the speech myself.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
NYTimes is reporting that the administration's proposed budget would kill a million people and orphan 300,000 children due to the massive cuts in health spending.

I don't even have a comment for something so grotesque.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/world/africa/cuts-to-aids-treatment-programs-could-cost-a-million-lives.html

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

NYTimes is reporting that the administration's proposed budget would kill a million people and orphan 300,000 children due to the massive cuts in health spending.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/world/africa/cuts-to-aids-treatment-programs-could-cost-a-million-lives.html

Congress has made it clear they aren't stupid enough to just rubber stamp the bullshit proposals the Trump admin comes up with. That makes me ask, why do Mulvaney et all keep coming up with comic book evil as policy which will never pass and only gets them very bad press? What's the strategy?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I just watched Problematic with Moshe Kashner on Comedy Central. It had Anne Coulter and Lucian Wintrich, who spouted off their usual crackpot bullshit about mainstream media and its unfair crucification of Trump via The Liberal Bias. This is stupid, its playing right into the Fox News style.

What Fox News has done right since its inception is play to the rubes. Fox gets a PhD, brilliant scientist on a show who explains that over the last 60 years and thousands of data points, temperatures have risen at an alarmingly high rate. Then the counterpoint is a rube who says "Well it snowed in Florida yesterday and its June!" Fox presents this as though the rube and the scientist both have equally valid points, and the dunces watching all clap.

Trying to involve these people in rational discussion is pointless, even counterproductive. It is a lowering to their level, like trying to logically explain to an 8 year old that they cant have Oreos for dinner every day.

The main non-Fox networks need to get rid of this type of programming. Why act like these people have valid points to argue against?

Jimmy Norton was also on the panel with Coulter and Wintrich but I cant bring myself to poo poo talk that sweet little cherub.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FBS posted:

Congress has made it clear they aren't stupid enough to just rubber stamp the bullshit proposals the Trump admin comes up with. That makes me ask, why do Mulvaney et all keep coming up with comic book evil as policy which will never pass and only gets them very bad press? What's the strategy?

Shoot the moon, land close enough to murder say half a mil?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

When you're able to parse out the literal translation of human misery and death to financial gain like that in the New York Times, the Paper of Record... Jesus Christ. That budget better be hung around their necks for the midterms.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mustached Demon posted:

Shoot the moon, land close enough to murder say half a mil?

Well the democrats don't compromise enough, said the Very Serious People

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

vaginite posted:

I just watched Problematic with Moshe Kashner on Comedy Central. It had Anne Coulter and Lucian Wintrich, who spouted off their usual crackpot bullshit about mainstream media and its unfair crucification of Trump via The Liberal Bias. This is stupid, its playing right into the Fox News style.

Moshie Koshie may own, but his show sucks. It's Kasher, by the way, not Kashner. Probably just a typo on your part than not knowing his name, I imagine, with the amount of times we have to type Kushner nowadays.

Conspiracy time! Jimmy Norton used to be one of the hosts of Opie & Anthony, the show Trump and his spawnlings have been on enough times that it's where a lot of his 'from his interview in year 20XX on A RADIO SHOW...' quotes were sourced from. Jim Norton talks frequently of his childhood habits that involved urination. I would suggest that Trump enjoyed hearing the stories of Jim Norton having his mouth peed in/sniffing the soiled underroos of his schoolmates, and that was his primary motivation for appearing on the show.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FBS posted:

There are a couple of things going on here.

1) Trump's entire administration is hilariously incompetent.

2) Congressional Republicans are also comic book villains and they're ultimately going to be happy to go along with a lot of evil poo poo, even if that means picking and choosing a bit.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

vaginite posted:

What Fox News has done right since its inception is play to the rubes. Fox gets a PhD, brilliant scientist on a show who explains that over the last 60 years and thousands of data points, temperatures have risen at an alarmingly high rate. Then the counterpoint is a rube who says "Well it snowed in Florida yesterday and its June!" Fox presents this as though the rube and the scientist both have equally valid points, and the dunces watching all clap.

Trying to involve these people in rational discussion is pointless, even counterproductive. It is a lowering to their level, like trying to logically explain to an 8 year old that they cant have Oreos for dinner every day.

The main non-Fox networks need to get rid of this type of programming. Why act like these people have valid points to argue against?

Jimmy Norton was also on the panel with Coulter and Wintrich but I cant bring myself to poo poo talk that sweet little cherub.

Because Comedy Central wants money and giving any hack comedian their own political talk show is the easiest and cheapest way. They've got a Jim Jefferies show lined up and another one to target black people called Hood Adjacent. It's not going to end anytime soon.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Moshie Koshie may own, but his show sucks. It's Kasher, by the way, not Kashner. Probably just a typo on your part than not knowing his name, I imagine, with the amount of times we have to type Kushner nowadays.

Conspiracy time! Jimmy Norton used to be one of the hosts of Opie & Anthony, the show Trump and his spawnlings have been on enough times that it's where a lot of his 'from his interview in year 20XX on A RADIO SHOW...' quotes were sourced from. Jim Norton talks frequently of his childhood habits that involved urination. I would suggest that Trump enjoyed hearing the stories of Jim Norton having his mouth peed in/sniffing the soiled underroos of his schoolmates, and that was his primary motivation for appearing on the show.

Trump and Putin also enjoy the occasional game of monster rain.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
On my Facebook timeline I linked the article about the recently deceased Roger Moore. One hour later I posted the surreal Trump orb picture, which looked like something straight out of the secret lair of Bond villains, and realized the irony.

If Sean Connery also croaks we will be out of super-spies to stop Trump.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FBS posted:

Get re-elected. That's always the strategy. It's the only strategy. The problem right now is that Republicans need to accomplish horrifying things or be at risk of getting primaried.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Because Comedy Central wants money and giving any hack comedian their own political talk show is the easiest and cheapest way. They've got a Jim Jefferies show lined up and another one to target black people called Hood Adjacent. It's not going to end anytime soon.

Comedy Central does like money. They are trying to ride a non-existent sjw wave, or trying to recapture the magic that was the Daily Show (with Jon Stewart ofc).

I haven't seen Kasher's stand up (and can't even spell his name right) so I can't comment on him being hack, but Jim Jefferies is gd hilarious. That being said his show will probably suck.

I would sell my soul to have Jon Stewart and Colbert back for the Trump presidency. It would really make it worth it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/415868924841189376

There is a Trump tweet for every occasion.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RevKrule posted:

Not just a rapper gesture. A "Terrorist fist jab."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vmQrTi3aM

I'd forgotten all about that bullshit. Thanks.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

vaginite posted:

Comedy Central does like money. They are trying to ride a non-existent sjw wave, or trying to recapture the magic that was the Daily Show (with Jon Stewart ofc).

I haven't seen Kasher's stand up (and can't even spell his name right) so I can't comment on him being hack, but Jim Jefferies is gd hilarious. That being said his show will probably suck.

I would sell my soul to have Jon Stewart and Colbert back for the Trump presidency. It would really make it worth it.

Moshe Kasher's got a weird stand-up style, because he talks a lot about his past. I'm forgetting some things, but the big points are: Orthodox Jewish parents who were deaf. Big into drugs and got clean at like loving 14 or something like that, so it's like with Jim Norton where it's obvious the wheels came off very early and cleaning up at that age meant that they weren't going to make it to loving 18 without severe interventions. Things like that lend themselves to making a hilarious person.

Jim Jefferies owns and his previous show, Legit, was fantastic. So he has showrunning experience and all, I don't see how he can gently caress it up unless Comedy Central puts too many creative restrictions on him. It seems like half the comedians they give shows to they try to force into the same format Jeselnik Offensive and Not Safe with Nikki Glaser were. To the same failed outcomes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

"I'm tweeting about the pope, how's about I mention myself twice and him once. That a good ratio of me:him?"

"Sir, I'm just the gardener. And could you please pay me already; you've already rendered $12,000 in services."

"THE CHECK'S IN THE MAIL. THE BEST MAIL. IT HAS A GOLD LETTERHEAD."

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfd1Y9NS0tA

Trump hanging out with Francis.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm so humble. The humblest you've ever seen. Believe me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Does Comedy Central still give poo poo edgelord comedians TV shows in hopes to recapture the glory of Dave Chapelle?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mustached Demon posted:

Does Comedy Central still give poo poo edgelord comedians TV shows in hopes to recapture the glory of Dave Chapelle?

Yes, they try to chance into successful TV shows.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

There's no comedy like the presidency.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Well, at least people have stopped saying racism is over ,or pretending that cutting social programs to give tax cuts to billionaires is anything other than what it is.

:yaycloud:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't think anyone they've worked with even remotely qualifies as 'edgelord' since they canned Carlos Mencia and his poo poo show. They've actually been pretty good, even if they're too fickle and willing to can good shows relatively quickly. Aforementioned shows with Nikki Glaser and Anthony Jeselnik both only did 2 seasons, and were both fantastic. :( I think Larry Wilmore's show limped on for about that long, too, when the ratings and actual audience approval would've justified ending the run prematurely.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Apoplexy posted:

I don't think anyone they've worked with even remotely qualifies as 'edgelord' since they canned Carlos Mencia and his poo poo show. They've actually been pretty good, even if they're too fickle and willing to can good shows relatively quickly. Aforementioned shows with Nikki Glaser and Anthony Jeselnik both only did 2 seasons, and were both fantastic. :( I think Larry Wilmore's show limped on for about that long, too, when the ratings and actual audience approval would've justified ending the run prematurely.

I stopped caring after they threw Tosh at us. He's certainly up there with Mencia in my opinion. gently caress Mencia was trash.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Tosh's stand-up is top-tier quality, though. Mencia has always been a hack, long before he was publicly outed as a material thief, and his show was just a rip-off of Chappelle's Show. Tosh.0 is just lazy and cheap. And a pretty remarkable hit because of his charisma. It's rare that anyone, especially the idiots at CC, stumble upon a cheap show that is popular.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember when he tweeted this and everyone was rightfully dumping on it. Simple times.:smith:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just looked up Kim Dotcom... And Jesus Christ. So Hannity is allying with the guy who was arrested by the US Government for Megaupload. So cool, good job Hannity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Anora posted:

Just looked up Kim Dotcom... And Jesus Christ. So Hannity is allying with the guy who was arrested by the US Government for Megaupload. So cool, good job Hannity.

Any port-a-potty in a shitstorm.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Tosh's stand-up is top-tier quality, though. Mencia has always been a hack, long before he was publicly outed as a material thief, and his show was just a rip-off of Chappelle's Show. Tosh.0 is just lazy and cheap. And a pretty remarkable hit because of his charisma. It's rare that anyone, especially the idiots at CC, stumble upon a cheap show that is popular.

Tosh carries that show for sure. I think a problem CC has is they force formats onto a lot of the guys, and as a comedian there is no way in hell you're going to turn down TV money and the notoriety, even if you know the show is poo poo. Doug Stanhope had a hilarious bit about doing the man show and he knew it sucked, then goes on to describe some of the stuff he would do for half of that money again.

It really is just try and get Chapelle edge/ratings again, or try and do Jon Stewarts show again, or the always garbage panel show. If Colin Quinn/Greg Giraldo/Patrice O'Neal couldnt pull off a political panel show, noone can.

I guess its easy to say do new stuff from here, but they really should try. I get that having a new Jon Stewart in the age of Trump would be a ratings monster, but noone will ever fill his shoes in that same format.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 24, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just want to say the Key & Peele, Broad City, and to a much lesser extent Reviewed are incredible CC shows that somehow you guys failed to mention.

Key & Peele is literally Chapelle 2.0 and they crushed it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Boon posted:

Just want to say the Key & Peele, Broad City, and to a much lesser extent Reviewed are incredible CC shows that somehow you guys failed to mention.

Key & Peele is literally Chapelle 2.0 and they crushed it.

I don't have CC as part of my cable 'package' which is why I asked if they were still trying to catch lightning.

Seriously we have local channels, HGTV/food network, and the offbeat networks like them. Not even ESPN.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ekster posted:

There's no comedy like the presidency.

So when are we gonna get a modern remake of That's My Bush Trump?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If I remember correctly this was the same speech that she tried to defend by arguing that what she said contained very common ideas and sentiments and thus wasn't something that could be defined as plagiarism. To use an example of what she meant she then proceeded to cite Twilight Sparkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That was actually Sean Spicer with the My Little Pony defense. Which was super weird at the time, but now that we've all seen his press briefings... suddenly makes a lot more sense.

• Locked thread