Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched half of space patrol luluco. i got up to the little witch academia episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think tamsoft will make a symphogear action game if a symphogear action game is made

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ubisoft's symphogear + rabbids crossover will be sick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
RaVering Vercingetorabbids

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Some of the Sympho girls are in Super Heroine Chronicle, which is apparently a SRW style game..

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aurora posted:

Some of the Sympho girls are in Super Heroine Chronicle, which is apparently a SRW style game..

So they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlx6mojjcYo

It also has Sonico but she does not throw cats for any of her attacks so 0/10.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

So how male dominated is the Japanese animation and/or manga industry? I'm curious as it came up when I was having a conversation about the harem genre with a normie. Have there been studies on how safe for women to work animation studios are or expectations for female mangaka?
it's somewhat male dominated, but there are a decent number of female animators, key animators, storyboarders, writers, etc. The main thing is that female directors are very rare - I can only think of about 6 off the top of my head. It's getting better in recent years, partly led by Naoko Yamada, the director of K-On!, and a few others, but it's still rare for female creators to have leading roles in the production of anime, even if they're very present elsewhere. Look at KyoAni, for instance - they have something like a 30/70 male/female split, a ton of female episode directors, animators, etc, but of their recent series, most had male directors. Yamada's such a prestige director that she mostly does film, or works as a 'series planner' and lets someone else handle the nitty gritty of the directing even if she's constantly advising them.

That said, it isn't really worth looking at the content of the story or how it comes across and trying to base assumptions about creators' gender on that. Obviously the director's gender is going to have some impact on how they do things, but going 'drat, look at all these harem series... must be written by men!' or 'ah, a shoujo, must be written by a woman.' It's a pretty clumsy way of doing things.

As for animation studios, I've generally heard that they're a fairly safe environment for women. There have been some incidents and rumors, but most cases like that seem to involve the people responsible getting fired at the end of it. Naturally it's possible stuff gets swept under the rug, but people at an animation studio work such long hours that I can't imagine there even being much opportunity for that kind of thing. If we're talking pay, I have heard some rumblings about some studios underpaying female animators, but the fact that it's 'some studios' implies that the majority don't. Of course, the lack of female directors implies a certain difficulty of advancement, and pay in the Japanese animation industry is super low either way.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 24, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
communism is the only thing that can save anime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bernie could have saved Keijo...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Phobophilia posted:

Full communism now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECVK2z5qiY

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

this except also everything else

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

four yukine chrises flying through the air shooting giant ants while yelling ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU ZENBU repeatedly

"HA HA GOOOO TOOOOOOO HELLLLLLL IT'S SUPER DAKKA TIME!" is the accompaniment EDF deserves. I mean that as a compliment to both.

I always forget just how much I love watching Hibiki punch things until I see new material of her punching things. :allears:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 24, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok

koe no katachi is my favorite anime movie ever

please watch movie it good the who is in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm retroactively naming ishida's mom, mom of the year 2016, with 2016's best mom legs

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I live in NC which has Cookout which is pretty good. It's worth going to for the milkshakes at least.

Can confirm cookout is good

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The Colonel posted:

ok

koe no katachi is my favorite anime movie ever

please watch movie it good the who is in it

Funny I had just started to read that. I like it so far. It even on crunchyroll

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

what do you think of this compelling evidence that you're rob zombie irl

I am, unfortunately, nowhere near as in good shape nor as well-spoken / eloquent in English as Mister Cummings. :(

Baby Metal rule hard, though!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Ah, paradise.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My friend really wanted some Baby Metal swag, but I didn't see any when I was in Japan. Probably just didn't know where to look.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.soundcloud.com/noro-7/kyouran-hey-kids

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

My friend really wanted some Baby Metal swag, but I didn't see any when I was in Japan. Probably just didn't know where to look.
you should have gone to dear stage instead and brought him dempagumi stuff. you'd be doing him a favor

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I always forget just how much I love watching Hibiki punch things until I see new material of her punching things. :allears:
I too never grow tired of Hot-Blooded Heroines punching poo poo and screaming her lungs out. :allears:

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Erg posted:

Wish I was going to cookout instead of Wendy's tonight, but that's just the way the world is.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Erg posted:

cookout is good and it will kill you

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
im glad

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Parallax posted:

cookout is good and it will kill you

if you're not dying you're not living

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The second half of Shirokuma episode 26 is really great :kimchi: I'm glad for these early-30s-ish predator friends having a little reunion and rediscovering their live of hiphop

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

A Silent Voice is really good I haven't started reading it since this morning.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's a great movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's the only 2-hour long movie where i was totally into it for the entire length of the movie, i've gotten less patient for shorter films

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How dehydrated from crying were you by the end?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i survived most of it until the last fifteen minutes or so and then it made me cry... a bit. *flexes muscles drenched in tears*

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The scene with the mums at the hospital...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Very good anime moms.

Well, one very good anime mom, one anime mom that came around, from what I remember.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, and I mean she's perfectly justified so I def wouldn't call her bad

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She's a good very protective mum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003