Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I think I read a really similar article awhile back, and it's interesting to me that the "empty time sink" games are so easy to disagree on. Like, I definitely get what they mean, where there are games where you feel like you wake up bleary-eyed days later and say "What did I do for days? Did I let the plants die?" but whether that applies to games like Civ 6 and Stardew Valley, or Bethesda games, or meaningless puzzle games on cell phones is going to vary a lot from person to person. What things give you meaningful catharsis or are helpful escapist fantasy vs. "addictive emptiness" is kind of hard to define.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I do have a supportive family, and a pet bird, and understanding co-workers, and some friends I see once a week, and all that stuff, so nobody needs to worry about me. I just think it's cool that video games can potentially be a way for me to actually talk, with my voice, about a hobby to other people, but still be present for someone who needs me.

I'm gonna worry a little bit anyway if that's okay. Hope everything turns out okay!!

Plebian Parasite posted:

IT'S KIND OF ALRIGHT BUT IT SUFFERS FROM NOT BEING A BETTER LOOKING YOSHI'S ISLAND LIKE PEOPLE WANTED

but it did have a better soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bicyclops posted:

Sometimes the anonymity of the internet is hosed up and sometimes it's helpful.

nah man i know it, when poo poo gets rough it can help a lot to vent to the anonymous void. and sometimes it shouts back something that helps even more.

go play star ocean 2, that's one of my favorite salves. except play it on epsxe and use frameskip whenever a dialogue box opens. it's a forty hour 90s jrpg with 20 hours of story where nobody ever says anything of insight or import but the battle and crafting systems are amazingly fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi chat thread

I tried sleeping at a reasonable time but my body decided that that wasn't a good idea so now I'm awake again just 3 hours later. Yay. What's everyone else up to this late

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi chat thread

I tried sleeping at a reasonable time but my body decided that that wasn't a good idea so now I'm awake again just 3 hours later. Yay. What's everyone else up to this late

pretty much the same, playin dota/skyrim until I fall asleep again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm going full tilt on a pretty large portfolio project in between getting distracted by various life and game things. It's weird getting up everyday and not going to work but I have plenty to do so that I don't feel like I'm just sitting around. Half the day I'm taking care of a couple of kids who don't go to daycare anymore, too, though, so that helps with the whole keeping busy thing as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Reading a murder mystery by Ngaio Marsh because I can't focus on games right now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I went through and looked at the steam new releases list since I haven't been keeping up with it and I found this neat-looking sci-fi dungeon crawler called StarCrawlers

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318970/StarCrawlers/

It looks like fun :)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Ya I'm a fan on these types of games and BONUS this features music by Ben Prunty of FTL fame.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

FauxLeather posted:

2, 3, Origins and Legends are genuinely fantastic games. I think you can safely ignore the rest.
Ubisoft is more than capable of making fun, creative platformers that are gorgeous to look at and listen to. It's a shame they so rarely do them.

How can you leave out Rayman 1!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last Xbone exclusive I vaguely cared about is no more
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714JC17Z

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Sefal posted:

I personally don't like it much in a "too difficult for its own good" way. It's not a bad platformer, but it makes me miserable to play, so I can't recommend it in good conscience.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

I think I read a really similar article awhile back, and it's interesting to me that the "empty time sink" games are so easy to disagree on. Like, I definitely get what they mean, where there are games where you feel like you wake up bleary-eyed days later and say "What did I do for days? Did I let the plants die?" but whether that applies to games like Civ 6 and Stardew Valley, or Bethesda games, or meaningless puzzle games on cell phones is going to vary a lot from person to person. What things give you meaningful catharsis or are helpful escapist fantasy vs. "addictive emptiness" is kind of hard to define.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I do have a supportive family, and a pet bird, and understanding co-workers, and some friends I see once a week, and all that stuff, so nobody needs to worry about me. I just think it's cool that video games can potentially be a way for me to actually talk, with my voice, about a hobby to other people, but still be present for someone who needs me.

I know I can be a caustic dink and a poo poo-stirrer but that really does suck, man. A few months ago I went through a health scare where I had to spend weeks getting MRIs and EEGs and stuff and the worst part about it was knowing how much it stressed out my friends and loved ones. Do whatever you have to to get through it.

Bicyclops posted:

somewhere on this planet, there's a dude trying to speedrun Virtual Bart, and also make it a game that people care enough about to watch speed runs of it.

I like that weird corner of speedrunning where, much like actual Guiness Book of World Record chasers, people try and find something obscure and forgotten and corner it instead of trying to compete for big important titles. Like, Super Metroid and Mario 64 have had every inch pored over and speedrunned but if you want to be the guy who conquered Home Improvement for the SNES then the world is your oyster.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nothing Nintendo can do to Mario will be as bad as Mario is Missing! Or the CDi games with Link and Zelda :barf:

The CDi Zelda games gave us those amazing cutscenes, though. Like, they were one of the first things I ever saw on YouTube after reading about them in magazines and forums posts for years and even a decade later when you through all the memery that surrounds them they're still really, really funny. That mix of ambition and incompetence is just :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SLjLen7-c

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Hyper Light Drifter is loving amazing but the boost chain challenge is going to drive me insane.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Hyper Light Drifter is loving amazing but the boost chain challenge is going to drive me insane.

let me tell you about getting within double digits of completing it and loving up, multiple times

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

FauxLeather posted:

I personally don't like it much in a "too difficult for its own good" way. It's not a bad platformer, but it makes me miserable to play, so I can't recommend it in good conscience.

I still really like it. I may have stockholm syndrome though as I somehow managed to get to the cake world when I was a kid. the difficulty ramps up at band world and peaks at art world imo. But I believe the game has aged incredibly well. especially for a ps1 game.
the colorful graphics and soundtrack are amazing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is shaping up to be an incredibly slow day at work

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Injustice 2 looks really cool but I'm already on the endless cosmetics collectathon in For Honor, Overwatch, and sometimes Heroes of the Storm. They really need to open up a joint account for all these hat simulators where I can play whatever I feel like and spend my lootboxes accordingly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I remember Dario being a bitch to beat to get the Mastermune in Chrono Cross, but I guess young me never noticed that he just counters non black/white elements with status debuffs of the opposite element so you can just get him to debuff you the entire fight.

Sakurazuka posted:

The last Xbone exclusive I vaguely cared about is no more
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714JC17Z

Every time I've tried to play one of the 3D Raidens I've found that I can't follow the bullets at all because they blend into the background for me and I just get shot to death.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

I went through and looked at the steam new releases list since I haven't been keeping up with it and I found this neat-looking sci-fi dungeon crawler called StarCrawlers

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318970/StarCrawlers/

It looks like fun :)

That looks cool, but I feel like I should finish the Grimrock games and get around to finishing the last area in Etrian Odyssey 4 that I put down like 2 years ago and never came back to before I earn the right to buy and play a new dungeon crawler.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am just really interested in the fact that Mario is entering the new genre of turn-based tactics, that's definitely new ground for him

I'm actually totally into a Mario turn-based tactics game, hypothetically. Mario transitioned to an RPG extremely well, so hey, why not tactics?

I'm still really, really amused by that terrible marketing presentation. "Turtle shelves"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sefal posted:

Because it's a really bad game. I played it when it first came out and it turned me off the series until I gave Origins a try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Every time I've tried to play one of the 3D Raidens I've found that I can't follow the bullets at all because they blend into the background for me and I just get shot to death.

poo poo yeah I had that problem with IV and always forget about it until I try to play it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

I'm actually totally into a Mario turn-based tactics game, hypothetically. Mario transitioned to an RPG extremely well, so hey, why not tactics?

I'm still really, really amused by that terrible marketing presentation. "Turtle shelves"

It's an internal presentation probably knocked out in an hour by people for whom English isn't their first language, no one outside the company was supposed see it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Man I remember Dario being a bitch to beat to get the Mastermune in Chrono Cross, but I guess young me never noticed that he just counters non black/white elements with status debuffs of the opposite element so you can just get him to debuff you the entire fight.

I had that problem with Einhander, that one time when Square made a shooter on PS1.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

raditts posted:

Because it's a really bad game. I played it when it first came out and it turned me off the series until I gave Origins a try.

Yeah, I dunno if I'd have considered it nearly as bad with infinite continues, but the screen has the GBA port of SNES games problem where Rayman is way too big and it feels like you're not seeing as much as you should. I just assumed everyone who liked Orgins were broke sadbrains since the original was also regarded as a cult classic despite its issues.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I remember reading the original Rayman was the best selling PS1 game of all time in the UK which is kinda neat (i still like it)

#1 worldwide was apparently Gran Turismo and not FFVII or Crash Bandicoot like I would've expected

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's an internal presentation probably knocked out in an hour by people for whom English isn't their first language, no one outside the company was supposed see it.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone outside the company, I was just surprised by the English, really. I dunno, it's probably rude of me to make fun of it.

Also it's weird to see Mario with a weapon that isn't a hammer, shell, or fire flower but whatever, I'm into shootmans Mario I guess

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I haven't heard much about Cosmic Star Heroine in this thread but I've been playing it instead of the Dark Souls 3 DLC and let me tell you, it's pretty good. The exploration and battle system is similar to Chrono Trigger, with encounters visible on the map and taking place on the same screen (no battle transitions), but combat itself is turn based with a really clever system of rechargeable moves, a few meters to balance, and spells and items that can be used once per fight. I've been playing on the Hard (Heroine) difficulty and it provides a perfect level of challenge, and there are plenty of quality of life additions like refilling HP after every fight, not replacing enemies you've beaten in an area but letting you fight one from the menu (like their previous games), and the ability to save anywhere.

I got interrupted in the middle of typing this post so all my vim has left me, but it's something to look into if you're a fan of older RPGs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Injustice 2 looks really cool but I'm already on the endless cosmetics collectathon in For Honor, Overwatch, and sometimes Heroes of the Storm. They really need to open up a joint account for all these hat simulators where I can play whatever I feel like and spend my lootboxes accordingly.

Ubi tried to do that with Uplay and it worked OK except that everyone hates Uplay for other reasons

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I knew it wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone outside the company, I was just surprised by the English, really. I dunno, it's probably rude of me to make fun of it.

You can absolutely make fun of the French

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Ubi tried to do that with Uplay and it worked OK except that everyone hates Uplay for other reasons

I think Ubisoft wants their IPs to work on the level of the Blizzardverse except without any waifus or distinct personalities besides "dude in an assassin hood, dude in a baseball cap, or dude in a winter coat and also a baseball cap."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

aisha tyler: I'm not the only bad-rear end princess on thsi stage!!!! *princess peach rabbid comes out and dances*

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

exquisite tea posted:

I think Ubisoft wants their IPs to work on the level of the Blizzardverse except without any waifus or distinct personalities besides "dude in an assassin hood, dude in a baseball cap, or dude in a winter coat and also a baseball cap."

I wanna date Wrench from Watch Dogs 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hella fuckin smoky in the boardroom that came up with Mario Rabbids, 4/20 am i right YEEEEE *does a dance*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I haven't heard much about Cosmic Star Heroine in this thread but I've been playing it instead of the Dark Souls 3 DLC and let me tell you, it's pretty good. The exploration and battle system is similar to Chrono Trigger, with encounters visible on the map and taking place on the same screen (no battle transitions), but combat itself is turn based with a really clever system of rechargeable moves, a few meters to balance, and spells and items that can be used once per fight. I've been playing on the Hard (Heroine) difficulty and it provides a perfect level of challenge, and there are plenty of quality of life additions like refilling HP after every fight, not replacing enemies you've beaten in an area but letting you fight one from the menu (like their previous games), and the ability to save anywhere.

I got interrupted in the middle of typing this post so all my vim has left me, but it's something to look into if you're a fan of older RPGs.

Huh, I forgot Zeboyd was around. This definitely looks like the most interesting game they've made. I like the idea of abilities being usable once per fight until you spend some time resting to recover them. Does that work out well in boss fights, like you need to make sure you're timing your rests well to keep your attacks recharged?

Edit: Also the battle music is real good

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 24, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

haveblue posted:

Uplay was Ubisoft's rewards program that gained sentience and tried to conquer the world.

exquisite tea posted:

It's a good thing that Blizzard's previous owner, Vivendi, is coming to help Ubisoft become a better publisher.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Rumor: Disgae 5 Complete might be coming to PC

Not improbable, as NIS has been porting their catalogue on PC for some time but sad that they're skipping some titles - Soul Nomad was my favorite of theirs and I'd wish to replay it now that my PS2 is trashed.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Huh, I forgot Zeboyd was around. This definitely looks like the most interesting game they've made. I like the idea of abilities being usable once per fight until you spend some time resting to recover them. Does that work out well in boss fights, like you need to make sure you're timing your rests well to keep your attacks recharged?

Yeah, absolutely. There's a mechanic called Hyper in battles, where a meter will fill up each turn and when it's full you do extra damage/healing and it resets to 0. So there's a balance of using your offensive abilities but also timing your recharges and buffs so you can capitalize on the Hyper boost. This can mean losing out on a powerful attack because you needed to heal instead of defend, and there's a kind of shifting sea of buffs and debuffs that help space out the offensive moves. Most characters have an ability that can be used repeatably without recharging, so it's rare that you're left completely defenseless. Equipment can have modifiers that are more meaningful than some other games, like starting the battle with a full Hyper bar or a buff active, or letting an ability be reused without recharging. Magic is tied to shields and a character stat, so you can mix "programs" around and while anyone can benefit from the stat boosts, only "caster" characters are able to use the higher level programs.

In short, I'm really impressed with how the battle system is designed and it's definitely a game where you can't just mash Attack to win (certainly not on Hard). I don't blame anyone for waiting for a sale, but I've been a fan of Zeboyd and their games for a while, and this doesn't disappoint. It's also a cross-buy game so that's a cherry on top if you have a Vita. I haven't played I Am Setsuna but if you're looking for a SNES RPG that's learned from 15 years of improvements, you could do a lot worse than Cosmic Star Heroine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I haven't played I Am Setsuna but if you're looking for a SNES RPG that's learned from 15 years of improvements, you could do a lot worse than Cosmic Star Heroine.

Yeah, you could play I Am Setsuna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, absolutely. There's a mechanic called Hyper in battles, where a meter will fill up each turn and when it's full you do extra damage/healing and it resets to 0. So there's a balance of using your offensive abilities but also timing your recharges and buffs so you can capitalize on the Hyper boost. This can mean losing out on a powerful attack because you needed to heal instead of defend, and there's a kind of shifting sea of buffs and debuffs that help space out the offensive moves. Most characters have an ability that can be used repeatably without recharging, so it's rare that you're left completely defenseless. Equipment can have modifiers that are more meaningful than some other games, like starting the battle with a full Hyper bar or a buff active, or letting an ability be reused without recharging. Magic is tied to shields and a character stat, so you can mix "programs" around and while anyone can benefit from the stat boosts, only "caster" characters are able to use the higher level programs.

In short, I'm really impressed with how the battle system is designed and it's definitely a game where you can't just mash Attack to win (certainly not on Hard). I don't blame anyone for waiting for a sale, but I've been a fan of Zeboyd and their games for a while, and this doesn't disappoint. It's also a cross-buy game so that's a cherry on top if you have a Vita. I haven't played I Am Setsuna but if you're looking for a SNES RPG that's learned from 15 years of improvements, you could do a lot worse than Cosmic Star Heroine.

I Am Setsuna was pretty disappointing and bland so I'm glad to hear there's an actually good SNES-style RPG out there now. I'll definitely pick it up, it sounds pretty great. Also I do have a Vita, so it'll be nice to have it handheld.

• Locked thread