Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HJB posted:

I interrupt the current round of Wrong Opinions to bring you Kippers going straight for the jugular:

"She won't commit to protecting our fishermen from future Brussels controls".

Congrats, UKIP, you've managed to get the one loving thing Theresa May WILL commit to wrong.

(e): 221: Liu Bei, Chinese warlord and descendant of the royal family of the Han Dynasty, proclaims himself emperor in Sichuan and establishes the Kingdom of Shu Han. It's how the Romance of the Three Kingdoms starts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"Protecting our fishermen" means: "Letting our fishermen overfish to hell and back, gently caress quotas and destroy any semblance of sustainability, probably driving many species to endangered status"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

That certainly is a theory of what the terrorist attack will mean for the elections.

There is an alternative theory that in the final calculus it will not be Jeremy "Our Friends Hamas & Hezbollah" Corbyn who benefits politically from this event.

I suppose in a few days we will know for certain.

The younger people making up the Labour surge are more likely to employ critical thinking and realise that "no, Corbyn is not a terrorist and does not want to explode Britain". I've no doubt the olds already sworn to never vote Corbyn think this is the final nail in the coffin. Who cares.

Also I have my doubts the people of this nation know who Hamas or Hezbollah are.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Waitrose gold blend, milk and sugar, come at me.
same with coffee.

Germany has some nice flavours of TUC we don't see here: Paprika and sweet chilli, but some bizarre bacon thing thats all broke and wrong.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 24, 2017

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

staberind posted:

Waitrose gold blend, milk and sugar, come at me.
same with coffee.

Waitrose is for poshos who like overpaying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

(e): 221: Liu Bei, Chinese warlord and descendant of the royal family of the Han Dynasty, proclaims himself emperor in Sichuan and establishes the Kingdom of Shu Han. It's how the Romance of the Three Kingdoms starts!

Actually that happens in chapter 80 of the book.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Also I have my doubts the people of this nation know who Hamas or Hezbollah are.
Foreigns, therefore bad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The thing is that this thread isn't very big on the traditional 'SJW' issues, they're normally dismissed as student politics. We just aren't explicitly racist for the most part.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually that happens in chapter 80 of the book.

Yeah but that book is DENSE and to be brutally honest, my main understanding of Rot3K comes from Dynasty Warriors.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Waitrose is for poshos who like overpaying.

And broke heads that don't like going outside for too long.
its not rediculously more expensive, and they loss lead as much as other places.
besides, all the staff are shareholders, while its not full communism right now, and least its a nod toward better things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Miftan posted:

Any type of chocolate with orange in it is bad.

This and your opinion on crisp flavours, to the gulag!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yellow Turban and Dong Zhou Erasure itt.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pochoclo posted:

Don't use sweetener either. Your palate will adjust and you will enjoy the taste of stuff much much more. Also get proper good quality tea. That powdered cheap teabag stuff is revolting so I'm not surprised you add heaps of sweetness on it.

I've tried all sorts of teas and the only thing I enjoy without sugar is coffee.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

staberind posted:

its not rediculously more expensive, and they loss lead as much as other places.
besides, all the staff are shareholders, while its not full communism right now, and least its a nod toward better things.

I regularly end up paying almost 50% in Waitrose (it's closer to me as well, and I'm not walking a full 10 minutes to get toilet paper)

Thanks Ants posted:

This and your opinion on crisp flavours, to the gulag!

Just another example of immigrants not accepting British culture.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

the Labour surge

I've got a feeling this isn't going to age well.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

thehappyprince posted:

this would probably work better if they weren't stepping aside for the tories in numerous seats tbh

People don't pay much attention, however I think it would probably work if their campaign wasn't an utter shambles.

I don't know what I want here, it could damage the Tories but if it means a UKIP comeback that might be too high a price. On the other hand the racists are still there regardless so meh.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

staberind posted:

besides, all the (Waitrose) staff are shareholders, while its not full communism right now, and least its a nod toward better things.

Hey, that's interesting, I didn't know that. John Lewis' seems like an interesting scheme.
This seems a bit lovely though:

quote:

Finally, every Partner receives an annual bonus, which is a share of the profit. It is calculated as a percentage of salary

From what I'm reading, they just get a salary-based variable bonus, which is better than nothing, but is not exactly proper dividends.

I like their governance, though.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 24, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

staberind posted:

i used to fully judge everyone who shopped at waitrose, but then i discovered that chorizo jam poo poo they sell and i've become what i always hated as a result

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Facebook has cracked the code:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lovechop posted:

chorizo jam

What the actual gently caress. Does it taste like nduja?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nduja is insanely good. i just checked amazon and

:captainpop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Madeo-Spic...&keywords=nduja

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Pochoclo posted:

What the actual gently caress. Does it taste like nduja?

kinda, yeah! pretty much makes any sandwich into a 10/10.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Hey, that's interesting, I didn't know that. John Lewis' seems like an interesting scheme.

From what I'm reading, they just get a salary-based variable bonus, which is better than nothing, but is not exactly proper dividends.

Yes, My explanation is a bit hazy, sorry, working conditions seem to be better than other places, but bonuses as opposed to actual shares, perhaps.

Their Molé is ok as well, although for Ayvar I usually go to Taj, a Nice middle eastern grocer, I mentioned before.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 24, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Lovechop posted:

chorizo jam poo poo they sell

Overseer Corbyn will see that such preserve perversions are rightfully punished.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I hear that the SAS is currently occupying your streets. How's that going

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pochoclo posted:

Note that this only applies to formal employees - the management has decided that hiring agency workers is a clever wheeze to get around paying them properly or treating them well.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Lightning Lord posted:

yeah it's pretty much like the opening scene from half life 2 around here

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

We are still arguing over supermarkets, but good for you that you sprang out of bed so early.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Note that this only applies to formal employees - the management has decided that hiring agency workers is a clever wheeze to get around paying them properly or treating them well.

Oh, well thats crap, thanks for putting me right.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There were noticeably more portly 50+ year old guys in high viz jackets with walkie talkies hanging around the train station this morning, so I feel much safer now.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lightning Lord posted:

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in London.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot. And I sit and drink it in my replica polyester Starfleet uniform

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

staberind posted:

We are still arguing over supermarkets, but good for you that you sprang out of bed so early.

Jokes on you, I never went to bed

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot. And I sit and drink it in my replica polyester Starfleet uniform
same but in my seven-of-nine catsuit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I've been reading some good articles on taxresearchuk and progressive pulse lately so sorry but im gonna share two in a couple giant quotes cause it's been more than a year since I read some decent political analysis.

quote:

Theresa May is, I suggest, setting out to fail. She made that clear yesterday.

She made her shadow cabinet arrive at ‘her’ manifesto launch in a bus that talked about her and not their party.

She’s chosen to ignore their collective opinion on immigration, which most think a key issue, when for once pragmatic opinion is on their side.

She’s clearly chosen hard Brexit: I predict a breakdown in all talks within nine months. Failure is written on all the cards.

Despite which she’s chosen to alienate business, which when she’s already disappointing them on Brexit is a strange strategy.

She’s alienating many in her party by hinting at tax rises, which will happen.

She’s also alienating all those who think free movement has merit.

She’s destabilising all those organisations, from farms to universities via the NHS and the building industry and banking that have relied on it.

She’s told half her MPs that their core philosophy is wrong. She may be right about right wing libertarianism, but she’s forgetting that those who believe in it have turned holding a grudge into an art form.

She’s alienated the old on pensions and social care.

The inheriting class are up in arms.

Those who appreciated a free school lunch and think breakfast is no substitute aren’t happy, although I accept that in educational terms the policy has merit.

And she’s given remarkably little to anyone, whether it be the NHS, education, investment, workers on rights, or anything else. Indeed, much of what she has said is just aspirational waffle. The discussion of R&D is an example.

And nor are there numbers: May does not want to hang herself.

She need not worry about that. She’s already made enough enemies in a day to ensure three things.

The first is that others will end her political career for her. They’ll be much faux acquiescence but the Daily Mail won’t buy this agenda for long.

Second, with a large majority she will discover ‘the bastards’ will rise again, and with a vengeance. She’s guaranteed her fiercest opponents will be on the Tory back benchers.

Third, there will be no lasting legacy of Mayism. The manifesto is a bid for long term control of the party and country. I suspect she’ll be lucky to make the 2022 election as leader. Not only is there no Mayism, there is no chance of success for this weird and unworkable mix of ideas that ultimately represent little more than a pragmatic attempt to appeal.

I stress, appeal is the goal. As much as Blair needed affection, so it seems does May. One wonders if there was enough love in her childhood vicarage because there is in this manifesto an attempt to appeal to all, being more left on economics than expected, and more right on social policy but without any of the Blair / Mandelson ability to spin that to win grudging loyalty.

In fact there’s only one real basis for her campaign when all is said and done, and that’s her appeal to be the favourite offspring to whom the best chance must be given whatever the cost in terms of alienation for all the rest, who will bide their time and get their retribution in due course.

What a sorry state of affairs.

And it’s a recipe for failure.

And from progressive pulse:

quote:

How are we going to pay for it?

When you listen to all the discussion about balancing the budget, about how any increase in spending needs to be matched by an increase in tax, why does no one mention that an increase in spending automatically generates extra tax?
There is no need to raise tax rates!

In fact, unless people choose to save the extra spend then it all comes back to the government as extra tax. In other words the extra spending is self funding.

This seems miraculous. Surely anyone who argues this way must be crazy—a believer in the magic money tree? Actually no, this statement follows from a very solid piece of mathematics that we all learnt at school. Unfortunately most journalists and many politicians were either not very good at maths or prefer not to explain how it really works. As voters, we should demand better.

Before getting to the maths, let’s try to answer a specific question. How much does an extra teacher cost? Or an extra nurse or an extra Doctor?

The naive answer is just to take the teachers salary, but this is wrong because a fraction of this comes back immediately because the teacher pays tax. To work out the net cost we need to discount all the extra tax paid due to the extra worker. In addition to income tax, NI and council tax, the worker also pays VAT, duties on fuel etc. The part that is not immediately repaid in tax creates extra income for others in the economy who consequently pay more tax than they did before. Excluding savings and tax avoidance, and all other things being equal, the maths tells us that the extra cost of the extra worker to current taxpayers is exactly zero!

The piece of maths that proves this is known as arithmetic progression—it says the sum of all the tax paid is equal to the initial spend. Alternatively, if we want to calculate the amount of government spend not returned in tax we can use a geometrical progression which works like this: For simplicity, let’s say that there is a 20 % tax on each exchange whether it is paying wages or VAT. For every £100 the government spends on the extra teacher, then £80 goes to the teacher and £20 goes back to the government. If the £80 is used to buy clothes £64 pounds goes to the shop, and another £16 back to the government. The £64 is mostly spent on wages for the employees, and another £12.80 goes back to the government. The geometrical progression tells us that after 40 such exchanges 99.99% of the money is returned to the government. The extra spend is self funding!

So if money is not the thing, what limits the number of public sector workers? The answer is supply and demand. If we try to create too many posts in public service we may drive up wages and drive down productivity by removing productive workers from other sectors. So the key is to decide if there is a demand, e.g., the economy is less productive than it could be because of crime, bad health or poor education. If the evidence is that we can improve things, then government spending is a simple win-win!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
waitrose consistently has the best mark downs on their reduced items, and you get a free tea or coffee every time you go in.

people who do their regular big shop there have more cash than sense, but you can get some amazing deals, and their booze and speciality food selections are massive.

Most of the time I shop at lidl though, because their fresh cinnabuns are godlike, and after the local greengrocers shut down they have the best veg and fruit. Monthly or so shops delivered from asda for bulk canned/dried stuff.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fun Fact.
The SAS are, as far as I know usually barracked in Hereford, and they dont seem to like sitting around doing nothing, so they ninja about in small villages across Hereford and Worcester.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lightning Lord posted:

We've had *checks* zero terrorist atrocities since Monday so it seems to be working

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

staberind posted:

Fun Fact.
The SAS are, as far as I know usually barracked in Hereford, and they dont seem to like sitting around doing nothing, so they ninja about in small villages across Hereford and Worcester.

What colour is the boathouse at hereford?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

staberind posted:

Fun Fact.

Not just there, they do a lot of stuff up here in the lakes. For shits and giggles.

Oh by the say, armed soldiers, who are trained extensively to shoot before thinking, on the streets always ends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

What colour is the boathouse at hereford?

I dunno about Hereford, but Worcester has what I suppose is a boathouse next to the racecourse, A bit of a walk from the uni accommodation I was at.

Edit, are you talking about that green thing?

• Locked thread