Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Oberleutnant posted:

What colour is the boathouse at hereford?

Army jokes are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Miftan posted:

Army jokes are the worst.

That joke was from Ronin, which is a good film. You're in the penalty box.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

That joke was from Ronin, which is a good film. You're in the penalty box.

I watched that movie when I was 10, I don't remember anything except de Niro and a suitcase.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Is a Wagon Wheel a biscuit or a cake?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

staberind posted:

I dunno about Hereford, but Worcester has what I suppose is a boathouse next to the racecourse, A bit of a walk from the uni accommodation I was at.

Edit, are you talking about that green thing?

Trap sprung.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Biggus Dickus posted:

Facebook has cracked the code:

Saving for next month.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Miftan posted:

I watched that movie when I was 10, I don't remember anything except de Niro and a suitcase.

Watch it again it's alright.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Watch it again it's alright.

I watched it on a school bus last time if I'm not mistaken. I'll be sure to give it another go.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Biscuit

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

How is it taxed?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot. And I sit and drink it in my replica polyester Starfleet uniform
I just wanted to say I like your avatar very much

edit: like I'm not being sarky or anything, it genuinely makes me smile

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Miftan posted:

I watched it on a school bus last time if I'm not mistaken. I'll be sure to give it another go.
They was showing that on a school bus when you was 10?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do other country's threads get this? People popping in to gloat when something bad happens?

The US right wing desperately wants the UK to serve as an object lesson for their agenda. As numerous people here have pointed out though, they know little to nothing about UK politics, culture or law but they're convinced Britain is a working model for what would happen if America allowed mass immigration, because that's the story the right wing media feeds them. All the Sharia law and hordes of refugees here, no go zones, very terrible!

The same phenomenon happens with Europe generally but they're more keen on proving their inane point around the UK because of the close cultural and political ties it has with America. Plus a lot of the press outlets like Breitbart and Fox that peddle this stuff have close transatlantic links, so the stories come packaged like that to start with.

Most of the people holding forth on the insidious threat immigrant communities pose to British social cohesion would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between India and Pakistan or what people in the UK mean when they say "Asian". They inevitably project Democratic Party liberal values onto UK left wingers too. It's all one big projection exercise, it's funny.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/867337199364317184

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Android Blues posted:

what people in the UK mean when they say "Asian".
To be fair, Britain's use of that word is driving-on-the-left levels of obstinate weirdness-for-its-own-sake

edit: like I moved to this country from Asia and it confused the poo poo out of me for the first few months

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why is it weird ?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zephro posted:

I just wanted to say I like your avatar very much

edit: like I'm not being sarky or anything, it genuinely makes me smile

Thanks, me too! I saw it an a video clip about how to be happy, and it made me so irrationally happy I had to have it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oberleutnant posted:

same but in my seven-of-nine catsuit

call me xoxo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zephro posted:

To be fair, Britain's use of that word is driving-on-the-left levels of obstinate weirdness-for-its-own-sake

edit: like I moved to this country from Asia and it confused the poo poo out of me for the first few months

It's probably about as confusing as the US usage of Asian, since it's just the same dynamic ("we'll call immigrants from one set of countries in the continent of Asia Asian, because they make up the largest proportion of our immigrants from Asia, and then call members of smaller Asian demographics by the names of their countries") except with India/Pakistan/Bangladesh instead of China/Japan/Korea.

You occasionally get "East Asian" in the UK in the same way as you'd occasionally hear "South Asian" in the US. It seems rarer though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Voting intentions

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Why is it weird ?

Because Japan does it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MikeCrotch posted:

call me xoxo

Some years ago- never mind how long precisely-

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Android Blues posted:

The US right wing desperately wants the UK to serve as an object lesson for their agenda. As numerous people here have pointed out though, they know little to nothing about UK politics, culture or law but they're convinced Britain is a working model for what would happen if America allowed mass immigration, because that's the story the right wing media feeds them. All the Sharia law and hordes of refugees here, no go zones, very terrible!

The same phenomenon happens with Europe generally but they're more keen on proving their inane point around the UK because of the close cultural and political ties it has with America. Plus a lot of the press outlets like Breitbart and Fox that peddle this stuff have close transatlantic links, so the stories come packaged like that to start with.

Most of the people holding forth on the insidious threat immigrant communities pose to British social cohesion would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between India and Pakistan or what people in the UK mean when they say "Asian". They inevitably project Democratic Party liberal values onto UK left wingers too. It's all one big projection exercise, it's funny.

Oh, god, is that why we always get a horde of concern trolls and racists whenever anything remotely bad happens?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My cowardly tory MP has blocked me on Twitter

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^what did you say?

spectralent posted:

Oh, god, is that why we always get a horde of concern trolls and racists whenever anything remotely bad happens?

I think that problem is endemic to the internet in general.

Also: when something good happens

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Zephro posted:

I live in HK now and can confirm that no-one out here uses Asian to mean "from the Indian subcontinent"; it always means East Asian. Then again in Canto it's actually Normal Person, White Ghost, Black Ghost, or Cop (i.e. Indian/Pakistani, I think a reference to the large number of Sikh policeman in HK before the handover). Also Japanese get to be honorary Ghosts too.

Re the intriguing terror chat, I'm not sure that the U.K. ceasing all military engagement in the Middle East tomorrow would do anything to reduce the incidence: Spain and Germany aren't busy blowing up weddings but suffered some very brutal attacks. Making the Middle East a nice place to live would but that's a longer term project and not one the U.K. could achieve unilaterally.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Looks like UKIP is going to resume campaigning tomorrow with their manifesto launch.

Good for them. I hope Labour have the balls to join them rather than waiting for the Tories to give the 'official' OK to start up again (which they will delay as long as possible).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

^what did you say?

Nothing rude, just calling him out on all his lies, also retweeting everyone else who was doing the same. Seems im not the only one who he's blocked

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought driving on the left was proven to be better? Progressive corners are stupid and loving deadly though, we dropped the ball there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zephro posted:

i don't think its weird referring to people from asia as asians

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

They was showing that on a school bus when you was 10?

The driver was in charge and the teacher was asleep. Keep in mind this was a primary school in Israel so violence is less of an issue.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm thinking the soldiers being visibly out defending things is likely to be a flame that attracts the moths.

Possibly pure genius but probably utter stupidity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

spectralent posted:

Also they want to talk about something other than how badly the idiot they voted for is loving everything up. Speaking of which Trump's administration leaked information to the US press that the UK intelligence services wanted to keep quiet, such as the name of the bomber. This may have impeded their investigation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Worcester racecourse has a terrible selection of beers on tap.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also they want to talk about something other than how badly the idiot they voted for is loving everything up. Speaking of which Trump's administration leaked information to the US press that the UK intelligence services wanted to keep quiet, such as the name of the bomber. This may have impeded their investigation.

Are you sure that was Trump's administration? I thought the leaks were coming from the US intelligence services.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Voting intentions

I don't think the space navies are a registered political party!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Collateral posted:

I'm thinking the soldiers being visibly out defending things is likely to be a flame that attracts the moths.

Possibly pure genius but probably utter stupidity.

Am I right in remembering they didn't even do anything approaching this crazy poo poo in response to the 2005 tube attacks?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Am I right in remembering they didn't even do anything approaching this crazy poo poo in response to the 2005 tube attacks?

I may be mis-remembering, but didn't the uptick in armed police flouncing around London came after the 7/7 bombings? This is just an escalation of that, I suppose.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

I may be mis-remembering, but didn't the uptick in armed police flouncing around London came after the 7/7 bombings? This is just an escalation of that, I suppose.

I also seem to recall armed transport police becoming increasingly noticeable post 7/7, and suspect the use of soldiers is probably more a product of police funding cuts reducing available manpower than anything else as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Do other country's threads get this? People popping in to gloat when something bad happens?

The worst ones were actual Trump supporting GBS posters who were posting here for lols. I've no doubt one of them said "lol i bet UKMT, who are all muslim converts, are saying this is a good thing. Lets get them boys!" or words to that effect. More racism and weird compound insults. Hence the people going off half cocked about politics they know nothing about and claiming we want to gulag everyone and love East Germany.

Remember to the American right, left wing politics is a black women speaking ebonics asking for infinite money to have more kids. Never overestimate the level of discourse with these people. Their entire reality is a strawman.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread