Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Indiana, the South of the North.

Being from Wisconsin, Indiana was the first place I heard a 'southern' accent.

Boon fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Every picture I have ever seen of Pope Francis he is smiling joyfully in them... except that one.

How awful a human being do you have to be to make a man who becomes overjoyed just by getting a loving pizza frown that hard while he is in your presence?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

The pope is not pleased.

He knows he just met the antichrist. Even if Catholics don't believe that's a thing? (I haven't been to Mass in like, 10 years)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

boner confessor posted:

so the trump women didn't cover their hair for the king of saudi arabia but they did for the pope

or is melania just projecting real hard here by preemptively sporting her mourning wear

https://twitter.com/Louiseontwitr/status/867287155202281473

I see His Holiness has also chosen to dress in colours which match the drapes.

Sadly, for him, there is no hiding nor escape.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rogue 7 posted:

He knows he just met the antichrist. Even if Catholics don't believe that's a thing? (I haven't been to Mass in like, 10 years)

The pope is a smart enough man to see through Trump's bullshit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

There Bias Two posted:

The pope is a smart enough man to see through Trump's bullshit.

You can't lie to a former bouncer. They've heard every lie imaginable and have the most finely-tuned bullshit detectors on earth, even if they're as dumb as a bag of doorknobs, and Il Papa is a scientist by original profession. So the guy who mentioned the SBD wasn't far off.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 24, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

a man who becomes overjoyed just by getting a loving pizza

goons and the pope, not so different after all

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Phil Mudd (former CIA counterterrorism) on CNN: "Trey Gowdy oughtta have his rear end kicked"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I swear every picture of Trump with Melania in it has Melania's eyes screaming "I don't want to be here".

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Boon posted:

Phil Mudd (former CIA counterterrorism) on CNN: "Trey Gowdy oughtta have his rear end kicked"

Aren't the agents in the intelligence community fairly defensive about their community and institutions? And Gowdy had the retarded gall to ask IS THE CIA *GOOD* AT ITS JOB?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In this particular instance it was regarding Trey Gowdy's questioning of Brennan on whether there was evidence of collusion. Brennan responded he, 'doesn't do evidence' and Gowdy kept pressing. That sounds like a poo poo answer, but the CIA works in intelligence, not evidence - which is the FBI's domain. There are different standards and that distinction was one of the fundamental breakdowns, or the mechanism for, the 9/11 intel failures.

But yes, people are defensive of institutions/organizations they belonged to - people become socialized and therefore protective.

Boon fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 24, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ah, it was over the evidence/intelligence distinction. I was thinking he would've cared more about the obnoxiously insulting dismissal of the CIA.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'd imagine those organizations in particular get extra pissy when political hacks try and partisan them up.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ularg posted:

I swear every picture of Trump with Melania in it has Melania's eyes screaming "I don't want to be here".

Considering that at this point there are probably people willing to set her up for life just for leaving him, even if she herself remains completely silent during the process and afterwards, I wonder what exactly it is that makes her seemingly reluctantly stay at his side.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Slashrat posted:

Considering that at this point there are probably people willing to set her up for life just for leaving him, even if she herself remains completely silent during the process and afterwards, I wonder what exactly it is that makes her seemingly reluctantly stay at his side.

Maybe she's afraid he'll have her killed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yesterday (or Monday whatever) there was some stories that alluded to senator turtle McFuckerson knowing about Russia trying to sway the election. I'm purely spit balling due to being up all night but perhaps that's why he was so adamant about not letting Garland even have a hearing. The piece of poo poo knew the fix was in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bhaal posted:

In those photos the pope has the same demeanor dogs get when they instinctively know a human near them is abusive and evil.
Well that and Trump personally insulted him several times during the campaign.

Frankly he should just excommunicate every Catholic who voted for Trump and/or declare a Crusade against America

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

Yesterday (or Monday whatever) there was some stories that alluded to senator turtle McFuckerson knowing about Russia trying to sway the election. I'm purely spit balling due to being up all night but perhaps that's why he was so adamant about not letting Garland even have a hearing. The piece of poo poo knew the fix was in.

There's claims that both Ryan and McConnell knew and swore everyone to secrecy.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

achillesforever6 posted:

Well that and Trump personally insulted him several times during the campaign.

Frankly he should just excommunicate every Catholic who voted for Trump and/or declare a Crusade against America

It's after 1650, those options have been disabled.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CommieGIR posted:

There's claims that both Ryan and McConnell knew and swore everyone to secrecy.

Which apparently was somehow not a red flag for anyone.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe she's afraid he'll have her killed.

The thought that the First Lady of the United States fears being murdered by the President would be the most hosed up thing yet in all this.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Supremezero posted:

Which apparently was somehow not a red flag for anyone.

Well yeah they had a SCOTUS seat to steal and a government to run into the ground.

Thankfully they overestimated their ability to control the bumbling idiots that make up the WH.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Was this confidential info or is it known we have subs there?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/867335646423265280

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Even knowing Russia was trying to sway the election, they still would have expected Hillary to win. They stonewalled Garland because it was a free bet for the Republicans with everything to win and nothing to lose (other than the integrity of the American government, but they clearly don't give a poo poo about that).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Almost certainly it's confidential info, but the severity of revealing something like that depends very much on exactly what kind of subs they are.

Edit: reading the article and the language Trump used, it sounds like he heavily implied that they were the kind you very, very, very much don't want others to know the location of. Probably just guided missile subs though -- still not something you admit to if you can help it, but they're regularly in port in South Korea anyway.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 24, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

Almost certainly it's confidential info, but the severity of revealing something like that depends very much on exactly what kind of subs they are.

Edit: reading the article and the language Trump used, it sounds like he heavily implied that they were the kind you very, very, very much don't want others to know the location of. Probably just guided missile subs though -- still not something you admit to if you can help it, but they're regularly in port in South Korea anyway.

gently caress it full conspiracy mode since I'm there already: you bet your sweet rear end they were the those subs. The ones with the big badaboom.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

We're getting a lot of stuff about Trump's conversation with Duterte, and they are all referencing a transcript. What are the chances that Duterte taped the conversation, and leaked the transcript to force Trump to deny some of the terrible things that were said so he could use the tape as leverage against Trump in the future?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The whole point of submarine warfare is avoiding detection, so of course blabbing where they are is the first thing Trump does.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Drone posted:

For the record, both SSBN closely held in their deployments, but SSGN are also high value. SSN (which also carry TLAM) less so, but they're still subs.

That said, saying they're in the region isn't to specific, though I did key on that reading the transcript.
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/missile-submarine-joining-us-naval-armada

Boon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There's a part of me trying to make a Beautiful Human Submarines joke here and failing miserably.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mustached Demon posted:

Well yeah they had a SCOTUS seat to steal and a government to run into the ground.

Thankfully they overestimated their ability to control the bumbling idiots that make up the WH.

They probably never thought for a second Trump would actually win, so they thought there was zero risk. Nobody investigates the loser.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mustached Demon posted:

More likely he just expected Trump to lose but figured leaving that seat open to rile up the evangelicals and burying the Russian interference story would preserve the GOP congressional majorities. And no one would bother looking into who knew what about Russia when after Trump lost like everyone was expecting him to.

I bet they were all ready to go investigate 'voter fraud' and Clinton rigging the election, who cares about Russian influence Trump lost anyway move on.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 24, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They probably never thought for a second Trump would actually win, so they thought there was zero risk. Nobody investigates the loser.

I think they were in the "should have known" category. McConnell and Ryan had enough evidence -- hell, us posting here -- had enough evidence pre-election to strongly suspect Trump had Russian ties. But if you don't WANT to believe it, you aren't going to, and they had every reason to not want to.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

nine-gear crow posted:

Every picture I have ever seen of Pope Francis he is smiling joyfully in them... except that one.

How awful a human being do you have to be to make a man who becomes overjoyed just by getting a loving pizza frown that hard while he is in your presence?

Thought the same. It's hilarious and scary at the same time. Are we sure they didn't hire Jonathan Pryce as a pope-stand in?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

More likely he just expected Trump to lose but figured leaving that seat open to rile up the evangelicals and burying the Russian interference story would preserve the GOP congressional majorities. And no one would bother looking into who knew what about Russia when after Trump lost like everyone was expecting him to.

I bet they were all ready to go investigate 'voter fraud' and Clinton rigging the election, who cares about Russian influence Trump lost anyway move on.

This is probably​ the more logical conclusion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Pope gave trump about climate change. LOL

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
lol Trump's lawyer

Washington Post posted:

President Trump has retained the services of a trusted lawyer, Marc E. Kasowitz, to help him navigate the investigations into his campaign and suspected Russian interference in last year’s election, according to people familiar with the decision.

Kasowitz, who has known Trump for decades, has represented Trump in numerous cases, including on his divorce records, real estate transactions and allegations of fraud at Trump University. He is a partner at Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman in New York.

neal_katyal posted:

Yesterday Kasowitz withdrew from my Thursday court appeals argument against him. He represents Oleg Deripaska's Co & I MorganStanley

alexzfinley posted:

Wait, Trump's lawyer also represents Oleg Deripaska, who paid Manafort $10 million a year to spread Russian influence?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tentative8e8op posted:

lol Trump's lawyer

trump knows he can't just settle, right

like, you can't pay off the fbi to forego a lengthy investigation

right

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

skylined! posted:

trump knows he can't just settle, right

like, you can't pay off the fbi to forego a lengthy investigation

right

I would bet he does not know this, no.

The attempted bribery will be the next thing on the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joshjmac/status/867276009820880896
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/867332249745846274
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/867352061616287744
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/867358916157558784

Just when you thought you'd heard the last from Milo:
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/867358167608549376