Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Armitage posted:

That second inning he just had seems to suggest that he's a long, long way off from being the Matt Harvey of old, if he's even capable of being that anymore.

The Mets are still leading 7-2 though :v:

Harvey was adequate overall, but Conforto was the star if the show and if you haven't written him into your All-Star ballot, then we can't be friends.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Gwinnett Braves are looking for a new mascot in 2018.

Because I have no originality, I've submitted Teamy McTeamfaces.

Someone on the Effectively Wild forum suggested the Gwinnett Buttons, and I kind of love it.

edit: oh my god how many times am I going to snipe this loving thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

don't want to alarm anyone in this thread, but a cubs starter made it past the seventh inning for the first time this season

99-pitch complete-game 4-hitter for Lester. Too bad 3 of those hits happened in the same inning and he didn't get the shutout.

2:05 game time. Must be because of the new intentional walk rule.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Gwinnett Braves are looking for a new mascot in 2018.

Because I have no originality, I've submitted Teamy McTeamfaces.

they should switch affiliates to the Padres and become the Gwinnett Gwynn Hits

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

patonthebach posted:

I was pretty impressed with his public apology, it does seem to be pretty genuine and one of the better ones I've heard from an athlete. Hopefully he gets a chance to do some good for a gay charity or maybe join up in the pride parade or something this year.

Pretty sure I saw he agreed to do some spokesmanship for the charity his pay went to

N: Jays win, wheeeee

V: I am liking Joey Bagels as a starter if he can get his endurance up a bit more. Only reason he didn't get the W is he got into his highest pitch count of the season and ran out of steam, he otherwise threw a pretty good start

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Mark Grace explains the origin of the term "slumpbuster"

https://twitter.com/SteveGilbertMLB/status/867126329170251776

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Of all the places to hear a reference to "The Nanny"...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Clayton Kershaw has now thrown 1830 1/3 innings in his career and accrued a 0.9998 WHIP in that time

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

edit: not the gameday thread

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Gwinnett Winners

Gwinnett To-Win-It

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

oof

https://twitter.com/FanSportsClips/status/867243500823293952

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PIT@ATL has resumed and is now tied in the bottom of the 7th, if anyone stlll cares.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Lance McCullers has not given up a run in 22 innings

Owns

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Harvey was adequate overall, but Conforto was the star if the show and if you haven't written him into your All-Star ballot, then we can't be friends.

Someone on the Effectively Wild forum suggested the Gwinnett Buttons, and I kind of love it.

edit: oh my god how many times am I going to snipe this loving thread

Gwinnett Buttons was Chip Carays idea. He threw it out there when they announced it on TV.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gwinnett Buttons was Chip Carays idea. He threw it out there when they announced it on TV.

Oh, I didn't know. I'd vote for that, or Gwinnett Barves.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why do people still try to name things via online votes. Literally everyone knows what's going to happen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

PIT@ATL has resumed and is now tied in the bottom of the 7th, if anyone stlll cares.
gently caress Matt Adams

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why do people still try to name things via online votes. Literally everyone knows what's going to happen.

Gwinnett Dongs is thematically appropriate

:colbert:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
David Ross came in 2nd place on Dancing with the Stars for those wanting to know.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh, I didn't know. I'd vote for that, or Gwinnett Barves.

I like Buttons but I still don't know why they wouldn't just keep it as Braves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Gwinnett To-Win-It

This is what it should be

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

MLB wants the minor league affiliates to change their names if they're sharing one with the big league club, I would imagine it's especially acute if they're also geographically nearby. The Staten Island Yankees tried to change their name last year but the winning pick was Pizza Rats and I guess they got cold feet.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB wants the minor league affiliates to change their names if they're sharing one with the big league club, I would imagine it's especially acute if they're also geographically nearby. The Staten Island Yankees tried to change their name last year but the winning pick was Pizza Rats and I guess they got cold feet.

Haha Pizza Rats would have been awesome.

Best minor league affiliate is Montgomery Biscuits. It's my favorite hat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All time career WHIP leaderboard:

1 - Addie Joss, deadballer who died of tuberculosis at age 31
2 - Clayton loving Kershaw
3 - Ed Walsh, deadballer & owner of career ERA and FIP records
4 - Mariano Rivera, greatest reliever ever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you sure about that? I had not heard anything about this. I was under the impression that teams were rebranding to make new merchandising dollars.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

I voted Killer Bees, personally.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Frisco Rough Riders are #1 in my heart.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are you sure about that? I had not heard anything about this. I was under the impression that teams were rebranding to make new merchandising dollars.

It was the original reason I read for SI changing their name, and it was on River Avenue Blues so I put some weight behind it.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Biscuits have the best hats, I own like 3 different ones, it's a loving biscuit with a butter tongue, best mascot ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

All time career WHIP leaderboard:

1 - Addie Joss, deadballer who died of tuberculosis at age 31
2 - Clayton loving Kershaw
3 - Ed Walsh, deadballer & owner of career ERA and FIP records
4 - Mariano Rivera, greatest reliever ever

Kershaw is arguable having the best pitcher career through 10 seasons ever.

He only has 133 wins.

This is convincing me that we will never see a 300 game winner again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Biscuits have the best hats, I own like 3 different ones, it's a loving biscuit with a butter tongue, best mascot ever.

I have a soft spot for the Lookouts and Lugnuts.

Everyone should own some minor league hats.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Miz Kriss posted:

David Ross came in 2nd place on Dancing with the Stars for those wanting to know.

I've been watching and it's absolutely ridiculous. He's a terrible dancer but the dumb way they integrate fan votes and judges scores means he basically knocked off a bunch of more talented mostly women. At least one of the two correct choices remaining actually won.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Because the less white people doing the tomahawk chop and racist oohhhhhhohhhhhhhohhhhhh chanting the better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

I've been watching and it's absolutely ridiculous. He's a terrible dancer but the dumb way they integrate fan votes and judges scores means he basically knocked off a bunch of more talented mostly women. At least one of the two correct choices remaining actually won.

Isn't part of the point of DWTS that fan popularity can buoy a celeb who can't really dance so good? I've never watched it but it seems if it was just about technical dance ability that show would be boring as hell.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kershaw is arguable having the best pitcher career through 10 seasons ever.

He only has 133 wins.

This is convincing me that we will never see a 300 game winner again.
I have an irrational desire for Kershaw to become the last pitcher ever to win 300 games. In a hundred years that would be the best fun-fact about an antiquated stat no one uses anymore.

Realistically he'll only get there if he remains healthy and productive into his late 30's. Steve Carlton is a good comp in this regard. He also debuted at age 20, and through his age 29 season had 133 Wins. He reached 300 in his age 38 season, but he also had 6 seasons of 20+ wins including one with 27, which Kershaw is unlikely to get.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 24, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I have an irrational desire for Kershaw to become the last pitcher ever to win 300 games. In a hundred years that would be the best fun-fact about an antiquated stat no one uses anymore.

Games like last night don't help though.

It's arbitrary and dumb but winning 300 games just owns

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Grittybeard posted:

I have a soft spot for the Lookouts and Lugnuts.

Everyone should own some minor league hats.

I hadn't seen the lookout before but I dig that one, on their schedule I saw they're playing the Biloxi Shuckers soon, which is a clam with a baseball bat. I love MiLB logos.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
TIL Sandy Koufax didn't even win 200 games in his career.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Some Numbers posted:

TIL Sandy Koufax didn't even win 200 games in his career.

Koufax had a fascinating career because he came up so young and he was just okay for like half his career and then one of the best players to ever play in the back half before he had to retire from his arthritis

He did a reverse Lincecum

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Our two finalists: Hitler Did Nothing Wrong and Gwinnetty McGwinnettface

Inspector_666 posted:

I would have bought the poo poo out of a Pizza Rats hat

Inspector_666 posted:

I voted Killer Bees, personally.

This belongs to the Astros you sonuva...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Koufax had a hosed up early career development because he was a "bonus baby." In that era, if a guy got a large enough signing bonus he had to be on the major league roster not stashed in the minors, so Koufax was forced to develop in the majors starting at 19. It took him until age 25 before he figured out how to not walk everyone. He literally never threw a single minor league pitch.

It was a real dumb rule which was abolished in 1965.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 24, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Koufax had a fascinating career because he came up so young and he was just okay for like half his career and then one of the best players to ever play in the back half before he had to retire from his arthritis

He did a reverse Lincecum

I didn't realize until just now that he won the Cy Young in his final season. I assume he's the only guy to ever do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Probably the only guy to do that and retire, I assume it's possible someone did it and died or something

• Locked thread