Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

When game 7 is at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Should've read back two more in the quote chain

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
heres the list, to be specific

https://twitter.com/StatsCentre/status/867239822624247808

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No matter what happens tomorrow, this is one of my favorite Pens teams ever. They really have no business even being here with the catastrophic injuries to their defense and the memories of the Caps series will keep me smiling all summer. Non-Pens fans just think they're going to win because they're the Penguins but this team has held itself together and has been playing about as well as can possibly be expected under the circumstances.

It makes me very happy to know that Mike Sullivan isn't going to turn into Dan Bylsma, which is a thing I'd been worried about. If Bylsma were still coaching this team they'd have completely collapsed long before now and lost to the Senators in 5

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I still really, really, don't want Ottawa to make it, but Subban vs Karlsson would be kind of funny because they both get blasted for not being good at defense or wanting to win enough or whatever, and one of them would get a Cup ha ha

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I feel pretty confident in the Pens chances as the "haven't won a game 7 at home after losing game 6" stat" sounds dumb and made up. The one thing that does worry me though is Thursday is Matt Murray's birthday and we saw how well that went for Anderson

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^yeah, these "haven't won't on the second Thursday of the months on non leap years since the carter administration" stats are about as stupid and meaningless as sport stats come.

Lol, poor pens, only have Crosby Malkin Kessel and a bunch of young guns taking a step up. Oh, and when maf's god mode wore off they only had Murray to step in. Truly amazing they win games.

ANYWAY, I like don't mind Ottawa because they have some fun players and I've lost money betting against them every loving round now. I've learned my lesson. The Ottawa senators are winning the Stanley Cup... somehow.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 24, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just take it to OT please

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

No, gently caress Ottawa. They're the ghost of the fuckin 96 Panthers and therefore are useless and boring. Some teams are only good when laying on top of opponents is treated as legal, and it's quite generous to call them hockey teams.

Seriously, the Pens get called for too many men with 4 minutes left after Crosby spent the preceding 10 seconds getting sat on top of and was unaware a line change had happened. Missed calls are one thing, and "only retaliation gets called" is somewhat dumber thing, but the too many men penalty was a direct result of the Senators not allowing Crosby to play. Hey fuckers maybe the next time you "let them play" make sure they're playing loving hockey.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bobby Ryan putting Sidney Crosby's head in his armpit and then later presumably asking Sidney Crosby if he liked the way his armpit smelled was the highlight of my evening.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Moxie posted:

No, gently caress Ottawa. They're the ghost of the fuckin 96 Panthers and therefore are useless and boring. Some teams are only good when laying on top of opponents is treated as legal, and it's quite generous to call them hockey teams.

Seriously, the Pens get called for too many men with 4 minutes left after Crosby spent the preceding 10 seconds getting sat on top of and was unaware a line change had happened. Missed calls are one thing, and "only retaliation gets called" is somewhat dumber thing, but the too many men penalty was a direct result of the Senators not allowing Crosby to play. Hey fuckers maybe the next time you "let them play" make sure they're playing loving hockey.

the rules of hockey say you only get 6 guys on the ice though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Crosby might not have seen the line change but the guy who went over the boards to replace him sure as poo poo did because he was there.

In my eyes the 5 on 4 interference call (which led to the 5 on 3 on a good high sticking call that wouldn't have happened if an awful missed crosscheck from Malkin had been called) was worse because Pageau wouldn't have been interfered with if the linesman had gotten out of the way. There was a good-sized spot between the defenseman and the boards for him to squeak through, but there was an official in it.

That wasn't even "let them play", that was "let the game get completely out of hand", after which every call becomes "oh you let that go but you're calling this?" and there's no winning there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: refs suck, unless it benefits your team.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Any Ottawa fan who liked the reffing last night is a moron. They were bad bad bad bad bad. Bad. Just Bad.

bewbies posted:

Bobby Ryan putting Sidney Crosby's head in his armpit and then later presumably asking Sidney Crosby if he liked the way his armpit smelled was the highlight of my evening.

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/867212188942974976

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

myron cope posted:

I feel pretty confident in the Pens chances as the "haven't won a game 7 at home after losing game 6" stat" sounds dumb and made up.

It's real! And it's happened seven times.

Fortunately, the streak is in direct opposition to Ottawa's "0-5 in Game 7" so something's gotta give.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I love poo poo like this in hockey. You don't really see that kinda stuff in other sports.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Feels like we're due for one of those anti climactic game 7s where one team just shits all over the other for 60 minutes.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

iospace posted:

Hot take: refs suck, unless it benefits your team.

refs suck especially because they benefit the team I want to win. in a just world, Kesler and Bieksa spend half of the Nashville series in the penalty box for riding the opposing team like sleds on the first snow day of the year, and Corey Perry gets suspended for trying to tug away from the referee, and the Ducks' depth players rise up to the occasion and lead them to an improbable Stanley Cup Finals berth. we were robbed of this beautiful reality

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you know that in 100% of Game 7s coming off a Game 6 loss, Pittsburgh is dumb and I hate them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's impossible to completely hate the Penguins because they have Kessel.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

It's impossible to completely hate the Penguins because they have carved Kessel's name on Lord Stanley's Cup

:getin:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

It's real! And it's happened seven times.

Fortunately, the streak is in direct opposition to Ottawa's "0-5 in Game 7" so something's gotta give.

I guess "made up" was the wrong choice because I know it's a real stat, so "pointless" better describes it. I also think the "0-5 in game 7" is bad.

It barely matters what happened last round [in determining what will happen this round], why does what happened in 1975 have even the slightest chance of mattering?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

myron cope posted:

I guess "made up" was the wrong choice because I know it's a real stat, so "pointless" better describes it. I also think the "0-5 in game 7" is bad.

It barely matters what happened last round [in determining what will happen this round], why does what happened in 1975 have even the slightest chance of mattering?
Because the Capitals loss to the Pens proved that we live in a world of narrative and myth, not mere easily understood physical phenomena and rules.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Interesting fact, with a 2-1 scoreline, the Pens and Senators combined for the same amount of goals as the Blackhawks this playoffs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

Feels like we're due for one of those anti climactic game 7s where one team just shits all over the other for 60 minutes.

And we've already had one of these for each team this series- the question is who does it here?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

flakeloaf posted:

Crosby might not have seen the line change but the guy who went over the boards to replace him sure as poo poo did because he was there.

In my eyes the 5 on 4 interference call (which led to the 5 on 3 on a good high sticking call that wouldn't have happened if an awful missed crosscheck from Malkin had been called) was worse because Pageau wouldn't have been interfered with if the linesman had gotten out of the way. There was a good-sized spot between the defenseman and the boards for him to squeak through, but there was an official in it.

That wasn't even "let them play", that was "let the game get completely out of hand", after which every call becomes "oh you let that go but you're calling this?" and there's no winning there.

It's a really difficult problem to deal with and it's not helped by the guidance the refs get for the playoffs. You don't want to be deciding things but every ref from novice to the pros has a hard time interpreting "don't be the decider" and " call what happens and don't forget it's the players who decide to break the rules"

The other thing that happens is that the players get dirtier in the playoffs regardless of what gets called so if the refs called the exact same standard as in regular season you'd never see even strength hockey until the players adjusted and then you'd have complaints that the refs are stifling the game. Maybe that's ok but these guys are specifically coached to change their standard.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

Just take it to OT please

like 9 OTs

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Moxie posted:

To paraphrase flakeloaf from the GDT thread, lol if you think that lovely officiating last night was benefiting one team over another. Pittsburgh got away with a lot of brutal crosschecks at important parts of the game, including one that took EK right out of a play. On the other hand, that interference call on Daley was dumb.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 24, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hoffman's trying to squirt it into Crosby's glove. Super dick move but clever

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

shyduck posted:

Hoffman's trying to squirt it into Crosby's glove. Super dick move but clever

What a crybaby, look at him complaining to the ref.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I would complain about Crosby getting jobbed all the time, but a few games ago in the faceoff circle Malkin was messing with a dude so much he got thrown out.

Keep on being funny jerks to each other, hockey players.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You'd think each of those teams would be made up of different people playing different opponents in different situations over all that time, but I guess people wouldn't bring it up as if it meant anything if that was the case...

This is great. Methot should win the Conn Smythe for this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of Montreal's Cups were won before the current fans and team were even born, under different ownership, but they still talk about it all the time.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah like why won't they get another cup it's been over 20 years

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

You'd think each of those teams would be made up of different people playing different opponents in different situations over all that time, but I guess people wouldn't bring it up as if it meant anything if that was the case...

I mean most stats like that that are more than a year or two old are completely irrelevant, but drawing parallels and creating narratives from nothing are sorta what sports are about.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

glynnenstein posted:

This is great. Methot should win the Conn Smythe for this.

Careful what you wish for, gently caress corey perry did this too. I think to Jeff Carter.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
it's funny because whoever loses game 7 their team narrative of failure gets to continue

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Great gift for Pittsburgh fans!

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Pat...+cup+2017+patch

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

glynnenstein posted:

If I can't cherry-pick dumb stats to put down other teams sports would be awfully boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Ravenfood posted:

Because the Capitals loss to the Pens proved that we live in a world of narrative and myth, not mere easily understood physical phenomena and rules.

This. The Pens are sadly doomed. Sure the Sens are 0-5. But the Pens are zero for seven in game sevens under these circumstances. Seven is a powerful number. Two sevens together....no way the Sens' pitiful zero-for-five curse trumps that mojo.

• Locked thread