Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

- Smartmeters. The only measure of intelligence is a intelligent human. A smart person looks stupid to a dumb person. But the need to measure inteligence and perfomance is real and had good reasons behind it. So yea, we are going to be unfair with a lot of kids. Brilliant people is going to be ignored by the system and theres nothing we can do about it. Anyway it can be a improvement for the other 90% of people, the dull boring average people.

A smartmeter is an advanced power meter that communicates with the electric company and provides better statistics of actual power usage.

Dees think it allows the government to project earthquake beams into his bedroom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fsif posted:

Real life Decker villain maybe.

Jim Sterling only pretends and he does it better

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

loquacius posted:

Your definition of what the ACA was even supposed to be was wildly inconsistent and self-serving, that's all

I think it really goes to show how ideologically weak and disunited the Democrats were in 2008 and still are that that was the best we could just barely do with control of two branches of government

:cripes:

This isn't about me, I'm not defending the law to make myself look good. It does a lot of good things, omits a lot of good things and still provides a natural basis for further reform. I've never said anything else.

I'm just beating my head against the wall at this point, but yes, they were ideologically disunited, though not to the extent that they couldn't get 60 votes in the end. Again, Joe Lieberman, what do you do with him?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This one's quite well-made.

Ehh, it's just a fancy ~handcrafted~ version of this meme I saw the other day

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Huh, those actually are all Roger Moore ones. On the one hand, duh, but on the other I'm not sure a lot of the cartoonists in this thread would bother to make sure of that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tei posted:

- I have seen babies playing with a smartphone. The next generation is spoonfed technology and this will be a problem.

I plan to only let my children use modern technologies once they've mastered all previous technologies leading up to it. You want stainless steel cutlery? Bah! First use these flint tools, then work your way through bronze and iron!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

Personally I don't see the harm in chaining children to power meters.
Negative 666 is a good thing tho, right? Especially if there are extra sixes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I plan to only let my children use modern technologies once they've mastered all previous technologies leading up to it. You want stainless steel cutlery? Bah! First use these flint tools, then work your way through bronze and iron!

You misunderstood me.

What I mean is before they are allowed to play with a smartphone, they are forced to build a CPU in minecraft. And before that, they get a license in CB radio. And before that, they make a tube system to talk to every room in their house. And before that, they created a encryption algorithm and write their diary using this cypher.

Only allow kids to play with smartphones when they can recite the principal internet RFC's and can write the EBNF of XML.

If you allow kids to use smartphones without learning everything that has lead to this amazing technology, you could be creating passive consumers instead of tinkers.

If you disagree with all the above, maybe we can agree to let kids play with mud, run around, and have other physical activities before they turn into monks that are never seen outside their room.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 24, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fulchrum posted:

It's amazing how this once in a generation opportunity came along the last time a Dem got into office. I'm sure that trying to reject a bill and instead demand single payer only worked miracles last time, and totally ended up producing a bill that changed things, instead of producing an ongoing smear campaign that gave us President Trump.

There are many more possibilities than single-payer. Dozens of health care systems around the world, in fact, that work better than ours, for cheaper. We could try learning from any of them, or all of them. But hey, someday we'll get that incremental change that actually benefits people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There are many more possibilities than single-payer. Dozens of health care systems around the world, in fact, that work better than ours, for cheaper. We could try learning from any of them, or all of them. But hey, someday we'll get that incremental change that actually benefits people.

Unfortunately we have to get over the idea of 400 page magic bullet bills for that to happen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's actually fine for kids to play with smart phones and it doesn't decrease their curiosity as to how they function.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Your mom's hot, kid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

:cripes:

This isn't about me, I'm not defending the law to make myself look good. It does a lot of good things, omits a lot of good things and still provides a natural basis for further reform. I've never said anything else.

I'm just beating my head against the wall at this point, but yes, they were ideologically disunited, though not to the extent that they couldn't get 60 votes in the end. Again, Joe Lieberman, what do you do with him?

hey stop being a condescending douche for a second please TIA

If you can't wrap your mind around the idea that the person who is making an argument can affect someone else's perception of that argument, I don't know what to tell you here. Someone attributing credit for a hypothetical future single-payer system to a specific law loses a lot of credibility in my eyes when they have in the past gone to great pains to identify themselves with a movement that emphatically stated on several occasions that a single-payer system would be a repudiation of that law (also, remember "never, ever come to pass"?). Disavowing those statements would be a good way for us to bring this argument to a tidy close. I'd totally believe that they were just damage-control against a primary opponent calling for a popular healthcare reform, although I don't know why the Clinton campaign wouldn't just adopt the idea themselves (see: $15 minimum wage, sort of)

IN WHICH an old man depicts a small child having a breakdown upon realizing the Internet exists

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

kim already released his statement, and it's a gentle fart.

He just claims to have worked with Rich (under a codename Rich had?) and that Rich totally leaked the emails. That's it. He totally has evidence, but only if Mueller will pay for his travel to the US. Oh, and this BOMBSHELL IMPORTANT NEWS is buried on the front page of his site. You have to scroll past a bunch of bullshit like his CDs and videos before getting to the pertinent information. But totally a legit reveal, you guys. Not at all a shallow attempt to get more eyeballs to his site via a man's tragic murder.

Dotcom also tried to break into Seth Rich's Gmail account. What a loving hero.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

CampingCarl posted:

Personally I don't see the harm in chaining children to power meters.

The Internet of Things is really getting out of hand. Smart Ritalin? Smart fluoride?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Bicyclops posted:

It's actually fine for kids to play with smart phones and it doesn't decrease their curiosity as to how they function.

Little kids naturally want to play with stuff their parents use a lot. Babies love keychains as much as iPhones but I don't hear any "Are we raising a nation of jailers?" panic.

You can get cheap chewable toy iPhones if you don't want to risk your $700 device.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FBS posted:

The Internet of Things is really getting out of hand. Smart Ritalin? Smart fluoride?

It is not recommended to use Juicero to squeeze fluoride bags.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

We don't deserve Ruben Bolling :allears:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Perfection.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is beautiful

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Bolling owns.

quote:

The dream of peace and a two-state solution
Labels: Abbas, al Qaeda, Gaza, isis, Islamic States, Islamism, Islamist Terrorism, Palestine, Palestinians, Radical Islam, Saudi Arabia, trump

:effort:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GIS for "bow tie," fourth result:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:sigh: If only.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

GIS for "bow tie," fourth result:

lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guess what, I happened on this and it turns out British elections have always been poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAzIkjO3G0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Okay, that was worth it.

Zelda should know better though:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My favorite actual David Clarke "medal" is the NYPD-9/11 one. Clarke was very brave that day, watching FOX News.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Zelda should know better though:

Are there really people who barf when they're exhausted?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTFNUUl9mg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Barfing would be a really poor physiological response to exhaustion actually since it would further dehydrate you

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cat Mattress posted:

I see you never knew anyone on the track team.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

loquacius posted:

Barfing would be a really poor physiological response to exhaustion actually since it would further dehydrate you

The primary cause for experiencing nausea and vomiting after a rapid and strenuous workout is dehydration. When you exercise, the effort used in the activity makes you sweat and lose both moisture and salts from your body. Both water and these salts are necessary for maintaining the electrolyte balance in the body. You may feel nauseated when your electrolyte balance is disturbed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

yeah man, especially someone like Zelda who probably didn't do any training for it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

loquacius posted:

technically true, but the body isn't a perfect machine so enjoy your vomit

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's the thing: Your body won't always behave in a 100 percent rational way. So even if it throwing up will further dehydrate you after a strenuous workout that doesn't mean that working out won't cause you to vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Track and field people don't just vomit after work outs, they wear it as a badge of honor and tell everyone about it.

• Locked thread