Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
how dare you out my quasi accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
huh. i've only ever heard it pronounced "kah nnt" which doesn't sound that close to the ole seaward to me.

regardless, Hobbes is the only philosopher sufficiently in tune with my level of cynicism.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
immanuel kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable
heidegger heidegger was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

For those who don't follow Catholic news, the pope gave Trump a copy of Laudato Si as a parting gift today. Lmbo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pidan posted:

For those who don't follow Catholic news, the pope gave Trump a copy of Laudato Si as a parting gift today. Lmbo

In Spanish, I hope.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've been reading a lot today and found that I really like Ivan in the Brothers Karamazov. I disagree with him a lot, and agree with Alexei on a fair amount, but I like the strain of anger and upset that runs through his arguments.

I also read a rather interesting book about the history of Atheism that spoke about how Dick Dawkins and the rest of that crowd are more caught up in a "modernist" critique of God, whereas the author argued that there is more of an issue with a metaphysical and post-modern conception of God amongst theologians at the present time. I agreed with a lot of that, but I wanted to ask how many people seriously go around considering it? I mean, working as I do in a public facing and quite low skilled role I find that I have to deal with a lot of people (both team-mates and customers) who I am not sure if they think about their understanding of the world. I know that most of them probably will, at some point, come to question bits of it but I wonder how often people, myself included, can think about this sort of thing.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

immanuel kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable
heidegger heidegger was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table

And Renes Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Josef bugman posted:

I've been reading a lot today and found that I really like Ivan in the Brothers Karamazov. I disagree with him a lot, and agree with Alexei on a fair amount, but I like the strain of anger and upset that runs through his arguments.

I also read a rather interesting book about the history of Atheism that spoke about how Dick Dawkins and the rest of that crowd are more caught up in a "modernist" critique of God, whereas the author argued that there is more of an issue with a metaphysical and post-modern conception of God amongst theologians at the present time. I agreed with a lot of that, but I wanted to ask how many people seriously go around considering it? I mean, working as I do in a public facing and quite low skilled role I find that I have to deal with a lot of people (both team-mates and customers) who I am not sure if they think about their understanding of the world. I know that most of them probably will, at some point, come to question bits of it but I wonder how often people, myself included, can think about this sort of thing.

Richard Dawkins is interested in one thing only, huffing the farts of Richard Dawkins. Hateful twit needs to find another hobby, sooner rather than later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dorkins is an oik and should go jump off a bridge, imo. Does nothing for atheism or the world in general.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oik? :D

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Its a British English word, usually associated with rudeness, crudeness or generally being "lower class".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Its a British English word, usually associated with rudeness, crudeness or generally being "lower class".

Nowadays it's a slightly politer form of "twat" basically.

Actually it's surprisingly difficult to define because all of the good synonyms are other british english words...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Nowadays it's a slightly politer form of "twat" basically.

Actually it's surprisingly difficult to define because all of the good synonyms are other british english words...

Pretty much.

But I liked reading what I read. I still don't understand what one of the article writers that I read afterwards was going on about when he said that "True freedom comes of surrendering yourself to God". It sounds like a line from the avengers "I've come to free you from your freedom" kind of thing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is a good a time as any to post the glorious loving trashing the scots gave Trump when he tried to opine on their referendum.

Mods rename me incompressible jizztrumpet, tia

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

This is a good a time as any to post the glorious loving trashing the scots gave Trump when he tried to opine on their referendum.

Mods rename me incompressible jizztrumpet, tia
scottish twitter is the best thing to happen to the english language since chaucer
too pure for this sorrowful world

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

But I liked reading what I read. I still don't understand what one of the article writers that I read afterwards was going on about when he said that "True freedom comes of surrendering yourself to God". It sounds like a line from the avengers "I've come to free you from your freedom" kind of thing.

That's actually an easy concept to relate to I think. If you subordinate your reasoning and will to something else it's quite liberating, it means you don't have to worry or own the responsibility for a lot of things. It is freedom in the sense that it feels freeing because you're sacrificing range of action for freedom of cognition. You can't do as many things but you don't have to think about worrying all the time.

To me it seems like more of a deranged American way to practice religion but I guess there's a few people everywhere that do it that way, and plenty of people who do it in secular ways too.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Josef bugman posted:

I'm speculating, of course, but I would figure that the number of those who question is probably much higher than one might think, but that it's a relatively small fraction amongst them who articulate their questioning to others. And that's not unreasonable, given that one makes one's self vulnerable in doing so. Either your interlocutor makes you feel stupid for not knowing what is obvious to him or her, or retreats from the question with a more or less apparent embarrassment. If not knowing for sure is a sign of weakness - and if anything, that seems to be a ready assumption anymore - one exposes one's self in daring to ask the question.

The flip side of the question is illustrative, I think - the prevalence of contemporary evangelical positions attests to a fear of this kind of questioning - which is proof enough that it's nascent, even if it appears only as anxiety that has to be warded off with a dogmatic position. By evangelical, here, I don't mean the Christian denomination, but any position that takes it as a personal affront that other people might think something else, whether it's in matters of religion, the lack thereof, or which is the best anime. Anyone who disagrees with me should die in a fire, because they're making me question my own presuppositions and that is intolerable. Silencing others, perhaps violently, is preferable to having to question one's self - but the fear that motivates that kind of behavior was there from the beginning, a question that one tries to abort.

Honestly, Dawkins and his conservative Christian opponents deserve one another. They both agree that there is such a thing as capital-T truth, and that they have the means to access it; they just disagree about what its contents are. But even so, there's a kind of comfort in having someone who agrees with your presuppositions and who can serve as a ready foil. Both sides get to beat their chest and demonize one another, and they improve their own group cohesion for taking the trouble. Anything to avoid the "postmodern" problem that all the theories of a universal knowledge or a meaning to history have proven wanting - and worse, that not having one really doesn't matter. The world goes on, not giving a drat whether we bother to ascribe a meaning to it or not.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAIL posted:

post your cat

Theophilus (Theo) atop the ladder of divine ascent.

Heinous Anus
Oct 12, 2016

CountFosco posted:

snip

Theophilus (Theo) atop the ladder of divine ascent.

thats a good cat! and apparently a holy one too. i must seek its advice

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lookit the smug little face :3: He couldn't estimate us less, even if he had a sign saying so.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and there's a spotted fluffy one in the background, too! :3:

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

:aaaaa:

(curse my tunnel vision!)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I will also post my catte (actually, Lithuanian for a female cat is "katė"):

There's also a vid of my cat celebrating us getting back home after 36 hours. When we leave the cat completely alone for some time, she is liable to claw the carpet in relief, usually in proportion to the time we spent away. She did a 360 when came back after 24 hours away on Easter, so I was surprised that she only got 180 degrees of clawing this time.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This is a call to post your pets, fellow Christ-observers.

This is Boo, my first pet. We adopted her from the local humane society in January. Her former owners had to surrender her after the other cats in the house bullied her. She's very into being an inside cat, only venturing as far as the porch. I've been so lucky that she's so well-behaved.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAIL posted:

That's Leela, the only cat I've ever known to actually scratch a scratching post. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was laid off last week at my six month performance review for bullshit reasons, so my plans to get a cat of my own have been scrapped while I look for a new job. So, have my parents' cat instead:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
what kind of dread religion thinks cats are better than dogs. dogs are your friends

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
khemetic, technically

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Senju Kannon posted:

khemetic, technically

So that's a thing, eh.

Behold the face of the pharaoh... and a voodoo priestess at the same time

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i spelled it wrong apparently but let's be honest, mine is much better

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cis autodrag posted:

what kind of dread religion thinks cats are better than dogs. dogs are your friends

the trick is to not think of cats as worse dogs but as better goldfish

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I was laid off last week at my six month performance review for bullshit reasons, so my plans to get a cat of my own have been scrapped while I look for a new job. So, have my parents' cat instead:

Sorry to hear that Cyth, hope the search goes well and lots of luck!

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
happy Ascension to all of us, whether western or eastern! celebrating movable feasts on the same days throughout the universal church is awesome and we should do it more often

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Bel_Canto posted:

happy Ascension to all of us, whether western or eastern! celebrating movable feasts on the same days throughout the universal church is awesome and we should do it more often

The annual "ha-ha" post:

National Ascension Day holiday. :toot:

I had a full work day because I work for the church and of course.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

Have you considered Zoroastrianism?

I wish there were more dogs in Christianity. We're stuck with Tobit's chum, that French greyhound who didn't kill a baby, and possible 10% of St Christopher.

Bel_Canto posted:

I spent most of today wondering why my sources on the continent weren't answering their work phones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Have you considered Zoroastrianism?

I wish there were more dogs in Christianity. We're stuck with Tobit's chum, that French greyhound who didn't kill a baby, and possible 10% of St Christopher.
isn't St. Roch shown with a dog

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lazarus (not the one who came back) had dogs who licked his sores. Good dogs, too, unlike the rich jerk who went to the tormenting underworld.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i like to think st christopher looked like a fat shibe

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

cis autodrag posted:

In some schools of jurisprudence in Islam owning dogs is haram.

• Locked thread