Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nah, if anything he needs buffs after the end of this movie

(:haw:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah, if anything he needs buffs after the end of this movie

(:haw:)

Oh. My God.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"$150 Bazillion"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Saw this last night.

Full disclosure.... I'm an action movie fan and.. uh... I haven't seen John Wick 1. I've been meaning to, I've been told to, I've wanted to. I just haven't got around to it for some reason.

I know.

My neighborhood "Dads" group decided to go see Chapter 2 last night and I decided to go with despite not having seen the first. Now I need to see the first movie even more, because hot dam was this very much my kind of brain-off movie. I have nothing of value to contribute other than that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

eyebeem posted:

Saw this last night.

Full disclosure.... I'm an action movie fan and.. uh... I haven't seen John Wick 1. I've been meaning to, I've been told to, I've wanted to. I just haven't got around to it for some reason.

I know.

My neighborhood "Dads" group decided to go see Chapter 2 last night and I decided to go with despite not having seen the first. Now I need to see the first movie even more, because hot dam was this very much my kind of brain-off movie. I have nothing of value to contribute other than that.

Its super easy to track down the first one for very cheap. You can rent it of course but I've seen it on sale(streaming and physical media) for $10 or less.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As much as I love JW2 I still love JW1 more so it'll be interesting to see how someone reacts to JW1 after having seen JW2 first.

JW2 made massively more money at the box office than JW1 so I guess there'd be quite a few people in that position, even if most of them caught the first film on DVD or streaming or whatever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I need to see Chapter 2 again but it feels like a comparison similar to The Raid vs. The Raid 2. The first is more compact and paced more evenly for an action movie, so its more of a streamlined total package than the sequel. But both The Raid 2 and JW Chapter 2 offer things that the originals did not, which really is very important in a good sequel.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As much as I love JW2 I still love JW1 more so it'll be interesting to see how someone reacts to JW1 after having seen JW2 first.

JW2 made massively more money at the box office than JW1 so I guess there'd be quite a few people in that position, even if most of them caught the first film on DVD or streaming or whatever.

JW1 was a huge left field surprise for a lot of people, and folks I know avoided it at first, some because they thought Reeves was washed up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reeves was kinda hurting after 47 Ronin was such a huge flop. When Wick came out he hadn't really made a movie that made serious money for about 8 years.

I remember seeing Man of Tai Chi a few months before I became aware of John Wick, and when I mentioned it to a few people they were all mildly surprised that Reeves was still appearing in movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man of Tai Chi is worth watching, btw. It's a perfectly serviceable genre flick that Keanu directs well and has a decent-sized role in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

JW1 was a huge left field surprise for a lot of people, and folks I know avoided it at first, some because they thought Reeves was washed up

Turns out sad Keanu just needed someone to give him a lot of guns, again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Did anyone itt jizz over the camera shots in the mirror scene already? Because those made me grin like a motherfucker...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Did anyone itt jizz over the camera shots in the mirror scene already? Because those made me grin like a motherfucker...

Yeah that whole location was pretty loving great.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I liked this movie a lot more than the first one, but one thing that annoyed me was how John Wick's reputation seemed to change from one minute to the next.

One minute he is "the Boogeyman", who everyone is terrified of. The next minute, he is "that punk Johnny, who I bet I could take easily in a fight" and everyone starts taunting him and thinks they can kill him easily... It didn't make any sense....

Like, if somebody had said "Anyone that can take Fedor Emilianko (in his prime) in a fight one on one, I will give them 100 million", you would barely find anybody that would even be willing to take that challenge. But somebody puts a bounty on John Wick, who has the reputation of being the scariest assassin in the world, and everyone and their mother thinks they are going to collect that bounty?! What would have made sense is if everyone had been like "gently caress that, I'm out" and the main villain ended up having nobody willing to take on the bounty. But instead, all of these idiots act like it's the easiest possible thing, trying to kill John Wick.

edit: Also, I just watched the trailer for JW2 (I know, I did it backwards by watching the movie first). And just gotta comment on how stupid the editing for the last part was. The mute girl saying "I'll see you" and then cutting to John Wick saying "I'll try and do the same". It made no sense to edit it that way. It would have been way more badass if they just had John's actual response to her in the trailer. OR if they had taken that first part out of the trailer and had Casien say "I'll kill you quickly" and THEN had John say "I'll try to do the same". It's like they took two cool dialogue scenes and actively thought of a way to make them uncool, just for the trailer

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

DrunkPanda posted:

I liked this movie a lot more than the first one, but one thing that annoyed me was how John Wick's reputation seemed to change from one minute to the next.

One minute he is "the Boogeyman", who everyone is terrified of. The next minute, he is "that punk Johnny, who I bet I could take easily in a fight" and everyone starts taunting him and thinks they can kill him easily... It didn't make any sense....

Like, if somebody had said "Anyone that can take Fedor Emilianko (in his prime) in a fight one on one, I will give them 100 million", you would barely find anybody that would even be willing to take that challenge. But somebody puts a bounty on John Wick, who has the reputation of being the scariest assassin in the world, and everyone and their mother thinks they are going to collect that bounty?! What would have made sense is if everyone had been like "gently caress that, I'm out" and the main villain ended up having nobody willing to take on the bounty. But instead, all of these idiots act like it's the easiest possible thing, trying to kill John Wick.

The difference between a sanctioned fight against Fedor and trying to assassinate someone is that any punk with a gun potentially COULD take out John Wick. As badass as he is, when he's engaging in gunfights with other people, he's still a human being and he drat well could have died at any moment. Of course he's the main character, so that's not going to happen, but in this movie's universe I can buy that there's plenty of assassins who would want to take him out. Anyone with a gun has a chance, however small. Whoever managed to kill Wick would gain so much fame, power and respect in the underworld.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queering Wheel posted:

The difference between a sanctioned fight against Fedor and trying to assassinate someone is that any punk with a gun potentially COULD take out John Wick. As badass as he is, when he's engaging in gunfights with other people, he's still a human being and he drat well could have died at any moment. Of course he's the main character, so that's not going to happen

He came pretty close several times, he had the poo poo kicked out of him right from the very first scene in the Russians' garage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
John Wick is the bogeyman sure, but that is part of the Hubris of all who go against him. Theres no way that poo poo he did was true, its an exaggeration, he's not that good, I'm an assassin in the same club I'll get the drop on him, he is just a man.

Then john wick is shooting them in the head with their own gun and doing a press check while figuring out how he is going to navigate through the other mondo dumbasses who thought they were not just another target in a shooting gallery.

Edit: also keep in mind Winston definitely could have killed John at the end of JW2 he had an entire park of people, he only didn't out of courtesy

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That being said, I wish there had been just one or two moments where someone chose not to get into a fight with Wick. I always grin a bit at that scene in JW1 where Francis the doorman takes the night off and allows Wick into the Red Circle without a fuss. Smartest man in the movie.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The other thing is that the vast majority of people wick owns are private security, mercenary, or mafia goons. In JW1 marcus clearly could have killed wick, perkins would have had a good shot if marcus didnt warn him, and marcus had to save him again vs the russians. Jw2 shows he is still a cut above most continental members considering he takes out common and mute lady and all the assassins in the montage, but outside of the first 2 they didnt strike me as the cream of the crop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

"Anyone that can take Fedor Emilianko (in his prime) in a fight one on one, I will give them 100 million"

This is kind of weird example, seeing as everyone does champ at the bit to fight the top fighter, since, if you win, your rep is sealed forever and you get a fuckton of cash. poo poo, Rampage rode off the fact that he was the first (of four) to knock out Chuck Liddell for the entire rest of his career.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DrunkPanda posted:

edit: Also, I just watched the trailer for JW2 (I know, I did it backwards by watching the movie first). And just gotta comment on how stupid the editing for the last part was. The mute girl saying "I'll see you" and then cutting to John Wick saying "I'll try and do the same". It made no sense to edit it that way. It would have been way more badass if they just had John's actual response to her in the trailer.

In reply to her saying "I'll see you" he actually just says "sure" and then fucks off because he's got bigger fish to fry. I liked it, it was a nice brush off.

Weird the trailer was edited like that though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jerkface posted:

The other thing is that the vast majority of people wick owns are private security, mercenary, or mafia goons. In JW1 marcus clearly could have killed wick, perkins would have had a good shot if marcus didnt warn him, and marcus had to save him again vs the russians. Jw2 shows he is still a cut above most continental members considering he takes out common and mute lady and all the assassins in the montage, but outside of the first 2 they didnt strike me as the cream of the crop.

And we also don't really know the relative quality of many of the assassins that actually went after Wick. The only two that seemed to be high-grade were Cassian and Ares (Common and Ruby Rose), by virtue of working as bodyguards for very high-ranked people. And both of those gave Wick a fair amount of trouble, particularly Cassian. For all we know, everybody else was mostly on the bottom rung of the Continental, and went after Wick because they didn't know his story or didn't believe it. For them it was a shortcut to instant prestige and riches, and as such worth the risk. By comparison I could well see all the high-ranking heavy hitters seeing the contract out on Wick and deciding that they very much had better things to do. Why risk your life on the most dangerous hit possible when you've probably already got plenty of money and standing already?

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 27, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In the next movie, there should be a group of assassins who hang out in the Continental waiting for Wick to kill everyone else which will make them the only assassins left to hire. And probably the new High Table too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that Willem Defoe and Keanu are pretty much the only people in the entire franchise to use a rifle for long range attacks.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Edit: also keep in mind Winston definitely could have killed John at the end of JW2 he had an entire park of people, he only didn't out of courtesy

My impression was that Winston didn't need an entire park full of people, that Wick went to the park fully expecting to be executed for his rule breaking and that he would have let Winston do it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bucketybuck posted:

My impression was that Winston didn't need an entire park full of people, that Wick went to the park fully expecting to be executed for his rule breaking and that he would have let Winston do it.

Note also that it was the exact same part of Central Park where Winston had Perkins killed in JW1 after she'd attacked John in the Continental.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note also that it was the exact same part of Central Park where Winston had Perkins killed in JW1 after she'd attacked John in the Continental.

They might have gone easier on her if she hadn't shot Harry in the face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

They might have gone easier on her if she hadn't shot Harry in the face.

Hard to say with such a small sample size. Her violation was that she "conducted business on Continental grounds". So we don't know whether she's being killed just for the act of going after Wick, or if its actually killing someone that is the only violation of the rules. After all, their "business" is killing people, but we don't know if "attempted business" is really a thing or not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to say with such a small sample size. Her violation was that she "conducted business on Continental grounds". So we don't know whether she's being killed just for the act of going after Wick, or if its actually killing someone that is the only violation of the rules. After all, their "business" is killing people, but we don't know if "attempted business" is really a thing or not.

These guys don't seem like the types to distinguish between "attempted murder" and "murder"--you either tried to do a bad or you didn't. Of course, that excommunication is a thing and not just immediate jump-to-dead means there may be a sliding scale.

So her trying to off Wick may have only have gotten her excommunicated. Offing that guy is what probably sealed her fate--blood for blood.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

These guys don't seem like the types to distinguish between "attempted murder" and "murder"--you either tried to do a bad or you didn't. Of course, that excommunication is a thing and not just immediate jump-to-dead means there may be a sliding scale.

So her trying to off Wick may have only have gotten her excommunicated. Offing that guy is what probably sealed her fate--blood for blood.

We also don't really know how much discretion the manager of a Continental has in making these decisions. It's not totally clear if Winston was sticking his neck out by giving Wick a pass, or if he's entitled to make that decision as manager of The Continental.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously the best pseudo-Bond theme since Snake Eater

The movie Spy has 'Who Can You Trust' by Ivy Levan and it's 110% a Bond riff. It sounds like how Roger Moore looks.

John Wick 2's music is pretty great, the soundtrack is on Spotify. I didn't realise that Le Castle Vania was involved until I'd looked it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So this is what the co-director of John Wick has been up to while the other one was doing Chapter 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USk21Lt0f4

Can't quite tell yet whether Theron is going to pull it off but at this point it seems kinda dumb to bet against her.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

So this is what the co-director of John Wick has been up to while the other one was doing Chapter 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USk21Lt0f4

Can't quite tell yet whether Theron is going to pull it off but at this point it seems kinda dumb to bet against her.

Holy poo poo I'm in!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Holy poo poo I'm in!

Seems like the sound design is going to be a big part of selling Theron as a legit badass, that loud "thwak" sound as she repeatedly elbows the dude in the face is pretty sick.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like the sound design is going to be a big part of selling Theron as a legit badass, that loud "thwak" sound as she repeatedly elbows the dude in the face is pretty sick.

Dave Foley is always critical to making action scenes pop.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
We FINALLY got this released in Australia. 100% woth the bloody wait and the pencil scene? drat that delivered.

I cant wait for Chapter 3

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Yes.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We FINALLY got this released in Australia. 100% woth the bloody wait and the pencil scene? drat that delivered.

I cant wait for Chapter 3

Yes and Yes.

Saw his on Friday, and the movie definitely didn't disappoint. It's an overused phrase, but the movie had me on the edge of my seat for almost the entire thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, once you own the movie and you don't feel like you have to focus so much on every little action beat, Chapter 2 really is stunning visually. That hall of mirrors scene, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Wow, once you own the movie and you don't feel like you have to focus so much on every little action beat, Chapter 2 really is stunning visually. That hall of mirrors scene, goddamn.

I wonder how much of a pain in the rear end it was to film in there so the camera guy wouldn't show up or if they just digitally removed him as needed.

• Locked thread