Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Decius posted:

I agree with basically of of your points, except this, because I really like them all and they feel all fleshed out a lot better than Fates and Awakening with their gigantic cast.
6/10 is too low in my opinion, 7/10 seems to be a fair assessment however, thanks to music, style and animations Edit: And voice acting and the really fun translation. The dungeons are especially bad on an old 3DS, because the camera controls are hellish. An isometric dungeon view would have been a lot better.

I dunno, people lean even harder into their gimmicks here than they did in Fates/Awakening and have fewer supports that break the mold. Faye is literally a one note joke across all of her dialogue. Tobin and Kliff's support is literally nothing. All of the supports among the Deliverance people are some variation on 'that sure is your character trait guy I know' which also extends to the Whitewings.

Now there are some good supports. I like Clive and Mathilda a lot because it actually, you know, shows off a side of both characters we don't see otherwise. Which was way more common in Fates/Awakening with their massive support lists. There's repetition there, sure, but even the characters who lean hardest on their gimmicks like Kellam at least have some supports that go outside of that. There are a lot of people in Echoes that don't, at all. And the ones that do are notable (Clair, Alm, Clive, Mathilda, Leon, and Sonya come to mind for me)

Another issue is that supports in Echoes are like literally half the length of supports in the other games, probably due to voice acting. It has the unfortunate effect of dragging out a lot of support convos that would otherwise be 1 rank into 2 and sort of crippling them (Faye/Silique, Tobin/Kliff, Clive/Lukas etc)

Zore fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
literally shoot whoever designed upheaval with a gun, in real life

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I kind of wonder if this is their way of testing whether audiences will accept not having kids and stuff in a fe game. Like in awakening it worked and fot into the plot naturally, but in fates they felt kind of tacked on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

I dunno, people lean even harder into their gimmicks here than they did in Fates/Awakening and have fewer supports that break the mold. Faye is literally a one note joke across all of her dialogue. Tobin and Kliff's support is literally nothing. All of the supports among the Deliverance people are some variation on 'that sure is your character trait guy I know' which also extends to the Whitewings.

Now there are some good supports. I like Clive and Mathilda a lot because it actually, you know, shows off a side of both characters we don't see otherwise. Which was way more common in Fates/Awakening with their massive support lists. There's repetition there, sure, but even the characters who lean hardest on their gimmicks like Kellam at least have some supports that go outside of that. There are a lot of people in Echoes that don't, at all. And the ones that do are notable (Clair, Alm, Clive, Mathilda, Leon, and Sonya come to mind for me)

Another issue is that supports in Echoes are like literally half the length of supports in the other games, probably due to voice acting. It has the unfortunate effect of dragging out a lot of support convos that would otherwise be 1 rank into 2 and sort of crippling them (Faye/Silique, Tobin/Kliff, Clive/Lukas etc)

Base conversations are about as important to giving the units character as well and in many ways they do more for the characters than the supports do, same with the few lines in the main story a couple of characters get. Like if you just go by supports Gray's main characteristic will probably come off as his crush on Clair, but he's got some more stuff going on than that and although he's a joker and a goof he can be a pretty insightful and perceptive person as well. Mathilda's only support is about her relationship with Clive but from the base talks, including one's Clive has, you get a better understanding of her relationship to the Deliverance or even with her family. They're good and often fun and super important to the characters. Like, how Leon fell in love with Valbar is discussed in these talks and that's pretty important.

And another thing that's kinda a nice contrast with Fates and Awakening character is that the cast don't really have gimmicks. The closest is like Faye's one-note fixation on Alm but I still think it's less of a character gimmick than Kellam's "is easily ignored" or Miriel's "speaks and thinks in science". There's nothing wrong with these sort of character gimmicks and most characters will get some support somewhere that fleshes them out more, but for the most part all you see of the characters is their like central characteristic, from the one line conversations you can see at base, to the main plots and such behind their supports. And that's not really a bad thing in those games, Owain's basically a gimmick and he's still one of my favourite fe characters, but it's nice to have a cast that sorta believably exists in a world for the most part. It makes the characters come off well.

E: Basically base conversations are really great, wow. Next game should have RD base conversations where it's just the units of the army interacting and the main lord doesn't need to be involved.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 24, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Any trip reports for the DLC? I think I'm just about to finish the campaign.

Invoke just breaks Celica's last dungeon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Celica conrad b conversation was like 5 seconds auto advance

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

I do like personal spell lists though, and the story is most fine if unexceptional. Celica's determination to constantly make bad choices for the sake of drama drags it down a bit (hey Conrad, just gonna need you to save my rear end for the sixth time in a row because I did something idiotic) which sucks because she's otherwise cool. Alm gets some good scenes as long as they have nothing to do with Celica (dunking on Clive in Chapter 3 is a highlight).

Hey wait a second... I thought that was Zeke. How many mysterious masked Paladins does this game have?!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Conrad is a new character added for Echoes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey wait a second... I thought that was Zeke. How many mysterious masked Paladins does this game have?!

2. Conrad's okay though he doesn't really mesh with the story super well.

He seems to solely exist so that Celica can make bad decisions and not suffer consequences which is just :psyduck:. Also so she gets a Gold Knight I guess.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zore posted:

2. Conrad's okay though he doesn't really mesh with the story super well.

He seems to solely exist so that Celica can make bad decisions and not suffer consequences which is just :psyduck:. Also so she gets a Gold Knight I guess.

On the plus side, he also gets to be treated as a crybaby little brother, which is hilarious.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 24, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Conrad is a new character added for Echoes.

Oh huh...

I thought I knew all the plot stuff from reading a LP of Gaiden. :v: Welp, apologies, Conrad, I've been calling you Camus Sirius Zeke this whole time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Berkut is new as well iirc.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Berkut is a great addition if only because Ian Sinclair.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

The dlc that adds characters from the cipher games -- do they join alm's or celica's army?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Berkut is a great addition if only because Ian Sinclair.

Berkut is a great addition because he's great. I always look forward to fighting him. He just chews up scenery whenever he's around. :D He's great.

Fernand can go eat a bag of dicks though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Spent 5 hours in Thabes dungeon, ran into a boss fight with like 8 dragons and got completely rolled over. 9/10 would Thabes again.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I know Lightning Sword is good in the early game, but I didn't realize it's "trade it between Alm and 3 Mercs to ORKO 4 enemies in one turn" good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Replaying the game, I forgot how absurdly early you get the Lightning Sword. That was still an endgame weapon for me.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The after battle group experience is a fantastic change, makes leveling up weaker units much less painful. The time rewinder is a nice lifeline for classic mode. If you overuse it you might get lazy and take dumb risks, but not having to reset an epic long battle because some idiot got randomly killed on the last round makes the game more enjoyable imo. Not having to write dozens of support interactions for each character means their personality quirks don't feel as repetitious.

All in all a really fun game that doesn't make me actively hate the characters or the stupid plot (Fates)!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

The dlc that adds characters from the cipher games -- do they join alm's or celica's army?

they join whichever side you do the dlc with

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can you do part of the dlc with one and then the other, or is it an all or nothing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Can you do part of the dlc with one and then the other, or is it an all or nothing?

the dlc's split up into two groups, one with lando and the peg knight girl and one with yuzu and shade. you can do one of those with alm and one of those with celica, but you couldn't split up peg and lando or yuzu and shade.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
The gently caress is this map that's just a open field with two pillars of cavs. I mean, I chumped it pretty hard with Forsyth and Lukas, but this would've been hell if one of them had been dead or underlevelled.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, looking at the DLC after finishing it and going only for the two sets I want, it'd still cost me over 20 bucks. gently caress. I don't think even the entire Future Past cost that much.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

the dlc's split up into two groups, one with lando and the peg knight girl and one with yuzu and shade. you can do one of those with alm and one of those with celica, but you couldn't split up peg and lando or yuzu and shade.

I see. Thanks.

Do the pairs have supports with each other?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
In a fantastically painful and unfun Cleric-less Alm playthrough, can Silque be recruited by Celica much in the same way as Kliff/Faye can?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I see. Thanks.

Do the pairs have supports with each other?
emma x lando and yuzu x shade are the supports, and they all have base conversations

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I like that when the people in this story make bad decisions, it's because they're passionate and naive, and even then, they sometimes have second thoughts about it. This is a great contrast to Fates, where people (mostly Corrin) just made bad decisions.

I also like that the fight animations are mostly people trying to hurt eachother, with fewer erroneous backflips and giant-legendary-sword-twirls.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

In a fantastically painful and unfun Cleric-less Alm playthrough, can Silque be recruited by Celica much in the same way as Kliff/Faye can?

Maybe you can. But instead of doing that challenge run, why not just skip the 3DS, find a real-life brick, and hurt yourself with it until the urge passes?

(edit: this is sarcasm. don't do either of those things. :()

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
alm does 9 damage to duma. sure he doubles but that's still not anywhere near enough to outpace the heal back to 50 thing Duma does

is there something I'm missing or do I need to grind Alm up

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

StringOfLetters posted:

I also like that the fight animations are mostly people trying to hurt eachother, with fewer erroneous backflips and giant-legendary-sword-twirls.

Someone hasn't gotten a dread fighter yet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the original Gaiden Celica could recruit Forsyth and Python. Dunno if that's still true

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

StringOfLetters posted:

Maybe you can. But instead of doing that challenge run, why not just skip the 3DS, find a real-life brick, and hurt yourself with it until the urge passes?

(edit: this is sarcasm. don't do either of those things. :()

Yeah it was just a passing absurd thought. Even if you made the Ram Village boys into Sages that could technically heal, it doesn't excuse ignoring one of the most needed classes in Alm's army.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Quick question-- Normal or Hard? I'm considering Hard as long as it's not Awakening Lunatic-level.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Quick question-- Normal or Hard? I'm considering Hard as long as it's not Awakening Lunatic-level.

Hard has not been difficult for me. Unless it really ratchets up in act5/6.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't lie I picked Sonya over Deen because of baps; plus, another mage is always cool

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Carlosologist posted:

I can't lie I picked Sonya over Deen because of baps; plus, another mage is always cool

I had a thought about female Mages (as Priestesses) being able to get silly crit chances by casting Excalibur and equipping a Brave Sword or Astra. I think I tried this with Celica already and it didn't work since crit chance isn't a statstick stat unlike Mt, etc. because spells have their own Mt and don't take advantage of weapon stats like Arts do

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 25, 2017

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I did the dragon shrine before going after Grieth and I can tell I was not supposed to do that, even exploiting the fact that Atlas, Palla, and Catria will only leave once if you try going that direction.

I barely defeated the 4 necrodragons without losing anybody, felt cool for not needing the revival spring at the end, then on the way back out was still playing recklessly as if I had more turns for Mila's turnwheel.

Lost two units, whoops, time to head back down to the revival spring.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp, gone through most of Act 4 which means I've experienced swamp and Cantor hell now! Ridiculously unfun. The only fun map in a while was Jamil's map which, while full of Witches and a Cantor spawning hell on wings, was actually challenging in a fun way and not the "gently caress this annoying poo poo" way! Course, after that was Duma whose gimmick to battle him is not fun, but at least I have a Dracoshield now and am wondering who to give it to. And then, there's Duma's Tower which I'm sure won't be much fun.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hard has not been difficult for me. Unless it really ratchets up in act5/6.

Aight, hard it is then! If it comes back to bite me in the balls then I accept full responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Whelp, gone through most of Act 4 which means I've experienced swamp and Cantor hell now! Ridiculously unfun. The only fun map in a while was Jamil's map which, while full of Witches and a Cantor spawning hell on wings, was actually challenging in a fun way and not the "gently caress this annoying poo poo" way! Course, after that was Duma whose gimmick to battle him is not fun, but at least I have a Dracoshield now and am wondering who to give it to. And then, there's Duma's Tower which I'm sure won't be much fun.

Snipe the nearest cantor, call in an airstrike on the northernmost cantor (the one who is not a boss) and kill the one who is a boss with a combination of the two. If you have a Saint and a handful of magic rings then the damaging effects of the swamp can be very easily mitigated.

edit: Oddly enough this was, for me, one of the most simple and easy levels.

• Locked thread