Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Chris Hero is Kassius Ohno right? He rules

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

On both counts

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CubsWoo posted:

The issue isn't the presence of the top-tier guys. The issue is how long they stay in NXT. Anyone who's proven themselves on the indies is likely in their mid to late 30s so their shelf life before time and injury starts limiting them on the main roster is already short, and I can't imagine they need more than 3-6 months to pick up the basics of 'WWE Style' before they join the main roster.

Balor's nearly 36 and spent 2 years in NXT. Nakamura's 37 and spent a year there. Joe's 38 and spent 18 months there. Roode is 39 and he'll probably be there until Mania. Most of them aren't even wrestling the performance center talent, they just feud with other indy transplants.

If they're coming in and they're useful to the main roster (as opposed to signing guys just so the other feds can't have them, which I suppose could be the reason for some of the signings) get them in for a few months and one, maybe two Takeovers and use them where they can actually be seen and make money.

On the other hand, who cares how long they are in NXT? They are putting on good matches that are accessible to everyone on the Network, and I'm not getting burned out on the talent by not seeing them every week on TV. And if the option is getting Ohno off NXT to go to Raw and feud with Titus, or keep him in NXT to feud with Itami in exchange for pushing some green performance center people off TV, I'll pick the latter every single time.

The other problem is that they seem like they want to do something memorable with these talent in NXT, yet the Takeovers are so few and far between and they RARELY do big matches on NXT TV. So you have something like Roode winning the title in January, the rematch at the April Wrestlemania Takeover, and then a new contender for the title in May. Alright, so lets just say Strong beats Roode at the Takeover in August at Summerslam, we'll probably see a rematch at the Survivor Series Takeover in November, and not get a new contender until the January Royal Rumble Takeover. So it's taking months to swap these big names in and out of the title scene, and they are just sitting around in NXT not doing much until they get their turn and get out. So they'll most likely keep people like Ohno, Eric Young, and Macintyre in NXT until they get their shot or title run, and that could be a year or two before it happens because the schedule is so slow.

I feel like the first episode of an NXT taping should be live and have it be a super card or something with a main event where you feel like titles could actually change hands. They are too focused on having these big moments happen at Takeovers, and the nature of people leaving NXT for the main roster makes the results predictable. Yeah, Roode is probably going to lose the title, get called up to Raw or Smackdown, and then stick around in NXT for his rematch which he'll lose. This makes the title scene and what they are doing with these talents kind of boring and predictable

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I wonder if a lot of it is intentionally booking like the 80s. Hogan or the other champions never defended the title on pay TV, and it was only a few times a year. The pace seems way similar to 80s/90s as opposed to 00s/today.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I haven't watched a weekly episode since January. Everything that isn't a Takeover feels cheap and easy to skip.

On the other hand, lol remember Finn Balor losing the title at a house show? And Joe getting his final title rematches out of the way in two weeks during a live tour? There are nice little moments of mattering that I'd like to see more often.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Billzasilver posted:

I haven't watched a weekly episode since January. Everything that isn't a Takeover feels cheap and easy to skip.

How would you know if you didn't see it?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It has been said a bunch already but I just want to reiterate that NXT tv has been really good again for the past few months.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Whats a good jumping on point for the current roster of NXT?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Whats a good jumping on point for the current roster of NXT?

Takeover Brooklyn II would be a very easy place to jump in to get the gist of Roode, an intro to Itami, and Asuka and DIY have excellent title matches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They also did a soft reboot around Mania where they brought in new belts, new logos and theme music for the TV and started featuring people like Ohno, Black, Riot, Heavy Machinery and Strong more. It's refreshing because it feels like they're not just using the same 3 people that were there since before Sami came up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

What's silly is that there's like 6 people doing spears and it's not even an issue

"It's time to do a commercial break, so do a superkick"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

dont even fink about it posted:

The world is right and just

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

dont even fink about it posted:

lmao I just remembered when WWE were so bitter that the Young Bucks wouldn't sign contracts that they were giving the Uso Brothers the Superkick and they were having "Superkick Parties!" on TV. Then tried to sue the Young Bucks for using the Too Sweet sign.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

RealFoxy posted:

lmao I just remembered when WWE were so bitter that the Young Bucks wouldn't sign contracts that they were giving the Uso Brothers the Superkick and they were having "Superkick Parties!" on TV. Then tried to sue the Young Bucks for using the Too Sweet sign.

And mark Henry gave a promo about how all the "young bucks" in the back were punks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They should've won, Usos are the better team

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Really happy with the names known to me who have been approached for this. It is clear WWE are very serious about the project and to me are rewarding both really skilled wrestlers and those who have worked hard over the past while to get WWE attention and confidence.

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/867078766631165954

What happens post tournament is now the more interesting thing to me. They plan to sign well into the double figures. So they have to be aiming for a TV show. The Performance Center is near capacity so I wonder if they will opt for WWE UK style contracts. However the Women's Wrestling scene is a lot different and less than the UK one. A lot of Women's promotions rely on iPPV and DVD sales than the live draw so if the Women work under WWE UK style restrictions promoters may not book them. Also would they permit intergender?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

Really happy with the names known to me who have been approached for this. It is clear WWE are very serious about the project and to me are rewarding both really skilled wrestlers and those who have worked hard over the past while to get WWE attention and confidence.

What happens post tournament is now the more interesting thing to me. They plan to sign well into the double figures. So they have to be aiming for a TV show. The Performance Center is near capacity so I wonder if they will opt for WWE UK style contracts. However the Women's Wrestling scene is a lot different and less than the UK one. A lot of Women's promotions rely on iPPV and DVD sales than the live draw so if the Women work under WWE UK style restrictions promoters may not book them. Also would they permit intergender?

I get the feeling they want to beef up the main women's roster so I wouldn't be surprised if spots opened in the PC. UK Style contracts seems most likely though.

e: Is Toni Storm rumored because :swoon:

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 24, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

rovert posted:

A competantly booked all women's show does actually sound pretty great. It continually sucks that the women are always second fiddle (aside from some NXT for a while there).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can't wait for the return of Blue Pants

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

e: Is Toni Storm rumored because :swoon:

For sure. Not privately confirmed as some others though.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
My wife and I would love to watch an all women's show, especially if it promotes less diva/stripper gimmicks among its performers. The wrestling and wrestlers in Stardom are (were?) tremendous, but its just to inaccessible. Unlike most, we've enjoyed 205, even though its no comparison to the Cruiserweight Classic. If they can replicate that for the women, I'll be happy enough.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ChineseConnection posted:

My wife and I would love to watch an all women's show, especially if it promotes less diva/stripper gimmicks among its performers. The wrestling and wrestlers in Stardom are (were?) tremendous, but its just to inaccessible. Unlike most, we've enjoyed 205, even though its no comparison to the Cruiserweight Classic. If they can replicate that for the women, I'll be happy enough.

Stardom has their own streaming service, doesn't get much more accessible.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ChineseConnection posted:

http://stardom-world.com

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

achillesforever6 posted:

It seems like WWE missed the boat on some of these Indy guys when they were younger and less injury prone, but now will probably start going after the young indy talent like your Adam Coles and Lio Rush's.

The idea of Rush in WWE is awful. He'd be this generation's Koko B Ware. So yeah, a future HOFer, but only know for jobbing.

Wazzu posted:

A competantly booked all women's show does actually sound pretty great.

Yeah, but a WWE booked women's show?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I'm just glad it's not the Moolah Classic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey Rovert, is Delilah Doom in this thing? Failing that, do you know anything about how her tryout went?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Not expecting anything special tonight but at least we get to see Aleister murder another fool

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just realized that Curt Hawkin's tron uses the Red Dead Redemption font

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This still hurts :smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
IT'S THE VELVETEEN DREAM

AND THE CROWD GOES ... to the concession stands

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That's a pretty impressive elbow drop considering how much space he had to cover

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If this loving geek can use the elbow drop but Hojo can't I'm gonna be Real Mad Online

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

She can use it in stardom

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

Hey Rovert, is Delilah Doom in this thing? Failing that, do you know anything about how her tryout went?

I don't know.

Benne posted:

If this loving geek can use the elbow drop but Hojo can't I'm gonna be Real Mad Online

And Eric Young.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Here's a scoop from the May 17th PWInsider Audio Update, apparently.

quote:

In an audio update today (editors note: actually the may 17th update), Mike Johnson mentioned that WWE is debating holding off on airing the Women's Tournament matches until after Summerslam, as they do not want the Tournament to distract from the build to Summerslam and vice versa.

They would still tape the shows on July 13th and 14th, meaning they would be held back for over a month before airing.

This would also delay the finale until late September.

This would be loving awful for the talent who signed, as the odds of them appearing on NXT or the main roster in any sort of capacity before September would be pretty much nonexistent. There is a non zero chance the Summerslam card is going to be really awful, and the least interesting part of the weekend.

:psyduck:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Benne posted:

IT'S THE VELVETEEN DREAM

AND THE CROWD GOES ... to the concession stands

It was weird live. Black finished his match. We got a promo for Velveteen Dream that said "TONIGHT!" At the end which the crowd got a big pop for because it was a surprise. Then they immediately had a local jobber come out and do his match. I felt like that promo got a bigger reaction than he did

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Johnny's split second little "...what?" after Gargano says "This isn't our moment, it's my moment" but before the beatdown starts is so heartbreaking.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Has there been any new Dylan Miley content since the episode where he debuted?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Asuka's "IT MINE" floored me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jenny Angel posted:

Has there been any new Dylan Miley content since the episode where he debuted?

taped stuff that must have been dark match. He killed Ho Ho Lun after they lost to a new tag team Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 25, 2017

• Locked thread