Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

here's how it works for apple, google, amazon and the other big tech companies. they will get you a relocation package. that package is either straight up cash or a moving company to transport all of your poo poo, including cars, to their location. they will get you several weeks at corporate housing / hotel / short term rental so you can find a place to stay. they may help you in rental or purchase search. they may rent you a car while yours is being transported. they may help your spouse with job placement. if you need something else, tell them.

neat, my wife is a project manager so there should be plenty of positions available in sv for her. what i really need is about 5k to have someone finish recarpeting and retrimming my house so it's sellable :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

i moved from nyc to seattle for amzn with the lump sum option which was unnecessarily complicated. the total they gave me was 10k split in two. first 5k was deposited immediately, but i didn't receive the second 5k until 2 months later, and it was taxed so I actually got less than that as well so I still had to pay out of pocket when the first 5k ran out.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

You could probably move on the cheap with the lump sum option but its soooo nice having movers come in, pack up all your poo poo (in 2 hours), and get it to wherever you're going.

The guys I went with didn't even want me packing anything, they wanted to wrap it all themselves (so if something I packed broke they couldn't be blamed for it)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah my bro got moved by his current company and they gave him a pile of cash + effectively paid the taxes on it so he moved on the cheap and pocketed the diff.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ADINSX posted:

You could probably move on the cheap with the lump sum option but its soooo nice having movers come in, pack up all your poo poo (in 2 hours), and get it to wherever you're going.

The guys I went with didn't even want me packing anything, they wanted to wrap it all themselves (so if something I packed broke they couldn't be blamed for it)

yeah having movers move your poo poo owns owns owns

the lump sum owns if you don't have anything worth moving tho. like when you're a fresh grad or something and at most you have some garbage ikea furniture

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i am not averse to packing and driving my own things. my fam's itinerant poor lifestyle means it would be like my 34th move or something in my life. i'd much rather have the money for getting my condo in shape because it's also been reassessed about 30k higher than what i bought it at so i could actually walk away with a profit for more debt blasting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

yeah having movers move your poo poo owns owns owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

i am not averse to packing and driving my own things. my fam's itinerant poor lifestyle means it would be like my 34th move or something in my life. i'd much rather have the money for getting my condo in shape because it's also been reassessed about 30k higher than what i bought it at so i could actually walk away with a profit for more debt blasting.

could you just use your signing bonus for that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

could you just use your signing bonus for that

what's a signing bonus precious?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

another thing you'll be getting, although i didnt get the first chunk of mine until i'd been here a month, ymmv

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my first job out of college i was offered relocation assistance and i didn't really know how that worked so i blew a few k on movers expecting i could just claim it as expenses but no it was basically just a cash signing bonus and my dad was perfectly willing to just drive up north and stuff my meager possessions into his car for free lol owned

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

another thing you'll be getting, although i didnt get the first chunk of mine until i'd been here a month, ymmv

jesus should i show you on the doll where epic touched me? i feel so taken advantage of.

i guess ultimately they shelled out for the training that put me on the path to greener pastures so the greater victory is mine.

when i was talking to the recruiter he asked if i had shares in epic (specifically he said "what do they do for retention?") and i explained our "stock appreciation right" system to him (they're basically worthless). he asked me what mine were worth right now so i pulled a huge number out of my rear end (i said 10k but they're actually only worth like 2k or something) and he laughed. this company is such crap.

speaking of which i should redeem my stock so they can't gently caress around with that when i leave.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, i lied. they snuck in a change of terms so it takes 2 years just to vest 12.5% of your shares so they're actually completely worthless :suicide:

edit: and the value formula is such that by the time they fully vest they'll be worth about $350 dollars. amazing. what a joke company.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I got a buddy in madison who does point of sale IT for woodmans and im pretty sure they treat him better than your average dev at epic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tatsujin posted:

I got a buddy in madison who does point of sale IT for woodmans and im pretty sure they treat him better than your average dev at epic

well ya woodmans is employee owned and if you are through your "probationary" period you get the same perks as anyone else. they are loving hella lovely to people who haven't hit that 6-month probation end date though and churn through basic level checkers and stockers like crazy.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Should've said 6.5 figgies. It needs to be such a compromise to your existing comp that a huge signing bonus is just barely convincing you to switch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That said, if the recruiter is any good then they could very well already know a big company like epic's comp structure

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

Should've said 6.5 figgies. It needs to be such a compromise to your existing comp that a huge signing bonus is just barely convincing you to switch

it should be abundantly clear by now that i have no loving clue how applying for grownup programming jobs works :(

also epic is privately held so he's not gonna find any publically available info because the ceo is *paranoid*

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

cis autodrag posted:

well ya woodmans is employee owned and if you are through your "probationary" period you get the same perks as anyone else. they are loving hella lovely to people who haven't hit that 6-month probation end date though and churn through basic level checkers and stockers like crazy.

yeah thats basically how he described it to me, after the six months he really didn't have any reason to go anywhere else, he's been working there since high school so he's stacking that retirement money like crazy. the funny part is that woodmans has really cheap fancy booze so hes buying poo poo like patron and deaths door constantly now

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cis autodrag posted:

it should be abundantly clear by now that i have no loving clue how applying for grownup programming jobs works :(

also epic is privately held so he's not gonna find any publically available info because the ceo is *paranoid*

epic is relatively large though, and if you don't think people who have left HR or senior positions from them for wherever else haven't told their new employer the comp structure and whether or not they should poach staff you're hallucinating

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

are signing bonuses a thing outside of the big west coast tech companies?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

jesus should i show you on the doll where epic touched me? i feel so taken advantage of.

i guess ultimately they shelled out for the training that put me on the path to greener pastures so the greater victory is mine.

when i was talking to the recruiter he asked if i had shares in epic (specifically he said "what do they do for retention?") and i explained our "stock appreciation right" system to him (they're basically worthless). he asked me what mine were worth right now so i pulled a huge number out of my rear end (i said 10k but they're actually only worth like 2k or something) and he laughed. this company is such crap.

speaking of which i should redeem my stock so they can't gently caress around with that when i leave.

lol ya it was a surprise to me too. i'd already verbally accepted an offer and stuff then the letter showed up and surprise! deece five figgy signing bonus that didnt even expect!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Munkeymon posted:

I think fintech does them as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

is that like employment referral scheme cash equivalent for current employees? if so, it's making rounds in latvia since the tech salaries mostly flatline at 30k mark

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

i think I got a 5k signing bonus after I tried (and failed) to negotiate for more salary once, otherwise never been on the table -- it's a big tech and big finance, or desperate small tech company thing mostly i think

i got my first non-signing bonus ever, this year :3:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

lol, i lied. they snuck in a change of terms so it takes 2 years just to vest 12.5% of your shares so they're actually completely worthless :suicide:

edit: and the value formula is such that by the time they fully vest they'll be worth about $350 dollars. amazing. what a joke company.

lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i got 10k when i hired into this job (in maryland)

but the company doesn't offer relocation assistance so it was basically "here, pay for yourself to move and on your first paycheck we'll reimburse you"

so not really a signing bonus at all :o:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i get five figgie quarterly bonuses and RSUs and we have a deecee ESPP

but this is the first job that I've had that has had any of this, it's really nice

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

my unlimited vacation jerb just switched to 5 weeks pto, i feel.... bad? about it.

incredibly first world remote tech worker problem

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mostly i just dont want to think about vacation and enter data into a bleep bloop computer about when im not in NO gently caress YOU DAD

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

my unlimited vacation jerb just switched to 5 weeks pto, i feel.... bad? about it.

incredibly first world remote tech worker problem

unlimited pto is purely a cost saving measure, its a bad benefit

as long as your 5 weeks can rollover that's much better

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

but this is the first job that I've had that has had any of this, it's really nice

thanks for reminding me, i just signed up for my company's stock purchasing program over here as well

don't wanna forget like i did last year :smithicide:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

thanks for reminding me, i just signed up for my company's stock purchasing program over here as well

don't wanna forget like i did last year :smithicide:

our espp is really good by espp standards, i made a lot last year just immediately selling the stock since there isn't a required holding period after the shares are released thankfully

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

unlimited pto is purely a cost saving measure, its a bad benefit

as long as your 5 weeks can rollover that's much better

i know the pos thinks it's a scam, but IME it's just been a great way to go skiing more and even get paid to fulfill minimum vacation bonus -- I've always worked at really small companies tho, i can see how it's different at 300 person 'startups' ofc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

dont you live in dc and whine about how terrible that is tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

dont you live in dc and whine about how terrible that is tho

i do and it is

i don't have to stay in dc for this job tho, i might be moving soon

i also work from home 3-4 days a week :xd:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

For local moves between west coast tech companies it's often money that you get to buy out your vested options at curjob before you go to newjob (assuming curjob is doing well)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

For local moves between west coast tech companies it's often money that you get to buy out your vested options at curjob before you go to newjob (assuming curjob is doing well)

if your vested options are in the money then you don't need anything to buy them and if they're not why would you buy them?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

if your vested options are in the money then you don't need anything to buy them and if they're not why would you buy them?

because they're "in the money" on paper but can not actually be exchanged for anything of value until an ipo or other event which may never happen or will happen at unfavorable terms [eg bankruptcy]

source: I "own" 325 shares of altavista stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

there are people (edit: firms) that will loan you money to buy your unvested shares, assuming the risk, for a cut

:911: sv

• Locked thread