Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

stillvisions posted:

For the current administration the lack of a FBI head for a while is considered a feature, not a bug.

I suppose they might think that, but it's absolutely not. Pretty sure the guy who's the stand-in is out for Trump's blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RiggenBlaque posted:

I've seen this going around a lot lately without any mention that this happened in 2013

In 2017 he'd just lean into it and get a job at CNN

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The funny thing about this is that they don't, because they literally can't afford to project power like that anymore. If Putin himself said they did, I still wouldn't believe it. I'm betting there hasn't bee a Russian submarine within striking distance of the US mainland since the 80's.

There was that spy ship though. I mean, not the same exactly, but I think that answers the question of what we'd do, which appeared to be "watch it intently" but otherwise nothing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

I suppose they might think that, but it's absolutely not. Pretty sure the guy who's the stand-in is out for Trump's blood.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress it full conspiracy mode since I'm there already: you bet your sweet rear end they were the those subs. The ones with the big badaboom.

Off topic but if we have to have to missile subs, I for one would chuckle if the next generation was the "Dallas" class.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Supremezero posted:

yep, everything I've read suggests that most of the FBI believes they are at war with Trump and want to take him down. Not having his own FBI director in there to contain them is not a good thing at all for Trump.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

There was that spy ship though. I mean, not the same exactly, but I think that answers the question of what we'd do, which appeared to be "watch it intently" but otherwise nothing.

As long as it stays 12 miles off shore, there really is nothing to do.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

empty whippet box posted:

Could you quote this for me? Having trouble finding it in the speech myself.

A bit back, went to sleep, awake now, here is the link to the rick roll at the end of melania's speech if your still interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IaR3mU-BA

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

As long as it stays 12 miles off shore, there really is nothing to do.

True enough. I just thought the parallel was worth noting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

stillvisions posted:

For the current administration the lack of a FBI head for a while is considered a feature, not a bug.

There is a head of the FBI, it's the acting director, and he will stay head of the FBI until someone is confirmed.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

stillvisions posted:

That's good for us since that means he won't have a toady in place to shut down the investigation.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

That's good for us since that means he won't have a toady in place to shut down the investigation.

That doesn't even matter anymore since Rosenstein went off reservation and appointed a special counsel.

Man. Remember when we all thought Rosenstein was a toadie? That man really turned his public imagine the gently caress around. Maybe Comey was right about him being a survivor.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

The Glumslinger posted:

By claims, I assume you mean tapes, with the transcript published in the WaPo last week, right?

Yep, Ryan's flak denied that the "Everybody hush about the treason" incident happened when asked. The reporter then read off of the transcript and he said it was a fake. Then the reporter mentioned that he heard the recording and the story changed from "It's a fake" to It's a joke"

Haha, get it? There's also talk that the person who recorded it was Evan McMullin.

Yesterday Clapper testified under oath that he warned the entire gang of eight (which is Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Devin Nunes, and Richard Burr on the republican side) was told last August about this and about how serious a problem was . Their public stance has been "I see no need for a special investigation at this time" So it pretty obvious they care more about money and power than they do about our country.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Chilichimp posted:

That doesn't even matter anymore since Rosenstein went off reservation and appointed a special counsel.

Man. Remember when we all thought Rosenstein was a toadie? That man really turned his public imagine the gently caress around.

I rather imagine that Mueller appreciates the FBI's help.

As for Rosenstein, I'm not entirely sure that's what happened. Everyone seems worried about him being a survivor, so maybe he saw the end coming before everyone else was willing to accept it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

I rather imagine that Mueller appreciates the FBI's help.

And he'll get it with or without the directors approval, and if he gets railroaded or stonewalled by the FBI, then he'll just report it to congress.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

As for Rosenstein, I'm not entirely sure that's what happened. Everyone seems worried about him being a survivor, so maybe he saw the end coming before everyone else was willing to accept it.

I don't think he was ever a toadie. He definitely saw himself being painted into a corner that would drag him down with the administration and cut himself right the gently caress out of it, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Chilichimp posted:

Man. Remember when we all thought Rosenstein was a toadie? That man really turned his public imagine the gently caress around. Maybe Comey was right about him being a survivor.

Turns out when you try to lie on someone's name they don't take it well and will go into self-defense mode now that they know you can't be trusted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

I don't think he was ever a toadie. He definitely saw himself being painted into a corner that would drag him down with the administration and cut himself right the gently caress out of it, though.

He wasn't a toadie but he did collaborate in Comey's firing and the coverup.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

Yep, Ryan's flak denied that the "Everybody hush about the treason" incident happened when asked. The reporter then read off of the transcript and he said it was a fake. Then the reporter mentioned that he heard the recording and the story changed from "It's a fake" to It's a joke"

Haha, get it? There's also talk that the person who recorded it was Evan McMullin.

Yesterday Clapper testified under oath that he warned the entire gang of eight (which is Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Devin Nunes, and Richard Burr on the republican side) was told last August about this and about how serious a problem was . Their public stance has been "I see no need for a special investigation at this time" So it pretty obvious they care more about money and power than they do about our country.

Their money and power directly translates to "good for the country" in their twisted loving minds, though.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
In the plus side Richard Burr isn't running for NC Senate again in 2022 so we have that going for us

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is school choice a dogwhistle for "take my white kids out of minority schools?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

evilweasel posted:

He didn't really collaborate in the coverup, unless I missed some piece of news.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

its this and private christian school

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yes

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

evilweasel posted:

There is a head of the FBI, it's the acting director, and he will stay head of the FBI until someone is confirmed.

You know, that, I know that, but the administration party line will be "In this contentious time *insert whatever comes up* should move forward until we've confirmed the real director" and that's all they need to say to the base.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

It can be. A bigger part of it is that private schools can teach religion. Also if you haven't noticed public schools have been hamstrung by legislation for years now, and increasingly so.

You can't exactly point to one thing and say, "It's all X!" It's a mix.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Yes

Edit: drat, beaten

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

evilweasel posted:

Explain?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Yes.

I have family in Alabama and it's always fun seeing the number of private schools established in 1954, basically immediately after Brown vs Board of Education. It's a dog whistle.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dexo posted:

He didn't really collaborate in the coverup, unless I missed some piece of news.

He wrote the memo knowing that it would be used as justification for the firing and that it was not actually the basis for the firing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

In the plus side Richard Burr isn't running for NC Senate again in 2022 so we have that going for us

Cool, maybe I can hold out hope of him going rogue still.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On this topic of Comey, coverup, and memos, crossposted from another thread:

So, the title of this thread may end up being wrong. Russia may not end up being the topic that matters; even in the light of the recent FBI raids on half a dozen Republican party contractors, the least contentious topic of inquiry is now obstruction of justice. This graphic exaggerates several accusations, but it points out what I'm talking about.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867375384270168064

Two accusations, firing Comey and stating that Sessions ought not to recuse himself, are supported by plain language by Donald Trump himself, with the Comey admission on camera in closeup. The notion that firing Comey was obstruction of justice is black and white: if you are able to frame it otherwise, you are capable of ignoring video evidence or thinking Trump was just kidding in turned out to be a serious and frank interview. Comey's memos on the proceedings of meetings he had with Donald Trump, in which Comey was asked in no uncertain terms to drop the Manafort investigation, shift this interpretation of Trump's damning admission in the recorded Lester Holt interview from near certainty to virtually absolute certainty.

Trump stating that Sessions ought not to recuse himself, so far as I am aware, was merely an official opinion and not actually something the White House took procedural action on. It is thus likely an exaggeration; that's not a crime. The Yates firing, so far as publicly available and auditable information go, can be swung as a reaction to inaction on the first major immigration EO of 2017. Sure, it placed Sessions in a position to firewall Trump from the justice system, but it would be fancifully speculative at this time to think this was the main reason Yates was fired as it is perfectly normal to replace AGs upon inauguration. That accusation is an overreach; Trump did probably fire Yates over the EO.

The rest of the accusations require document discovery proceedings, leaks, or subpoenas for testimony to verify and are thus, right now, overreaching.

That leaves us with one black and white instance of obstruction of justice with documents in the historical record to confirm a criminal interpretation of Donald Trump's intent. Donald Trump engaged in criminal activity. The game is over there, with any future testimony from a DJT team member testifying in exchange for immunity from anything discovered in the numerous FBI's raids on GOP organizations only dumping more icing on the cake. If McConnell and Ryan are unable to block hearings or public disclosure of the special prosecutor's findings, it is over. Any trial would be a fait accompli.

(Edited for Twitter embed)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yes.

I have family in Alabama and it's always fun seeing the number of private schools established in 1954, basically immediately after Brown vs Board of Education. It's a dog whistle.

On the plus side, most of the racists can't really afford the likely terrible education of said private schools to begin with - so homeschool it is for you, Ezekiel Josh-Marty!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yes.

"Celebrating 60 years of excellence!"

Crabtree posted:

On the plus side, most of the racists can't really afford the likely terrible education of said private schools to begin with - so homeschool it is for you, Ezekiel Josh-Marty!

They can get pretty cheap, especially for a family living on cheap real estate in a quiet neighborhood in Alabama.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

Not quite. I believe Trump can appoint an acting director within the limits of 5 U.S. Code § 3345.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3345

Namely an FBI person of GS -15 + who was there for at least 90 days prior to the Comey firing or someone who has been approved by the Senate for a different office, if I've read the legalese correctly.

Either action would likely cause .. complications.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

farraday posted:

Not quite. I believe Trump can appoint an acting director within the limits of 5 U.S. Code § 3345.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3345

Namely an FBI person of GS -15 + who was there for at least 90 days prior to the Comey firing or someone who has been approved by the Senate for a different office, if I've read the legalese correctly.

Either action would likely cause .. complications.

It would also require Trump to know the name of any member of the FBI.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Supremezero posted:

It would also require Trump to know the name of any member of the FBI.

Well if Mulder isn't a GS-15 he should be!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The way the reporting has gone re:Rosenstein is:

Trump fires Comey and cites Rosensteins letter (which at no point mentioned firing him).

Leaks emerge that Rosenstein isn't happy he's being painted as the cause for this, talking about how he threatened to resign over it.

Trump publicly walks back the white-house Rosenstein excuse in the Holt interview.

It's later reported that Rosenstein was told Trump was firing Comey and wanted Rosenstein to write a letter expressing his concerns about the director.

Rosenstein appoints a special prosecutor, probably in response to the way Comey's firing was handled, because the entire situation was scummy as gently caress.

This all lines up with the way Rodgers, Coats, and Comey reacted to being in situations where obstruction of justice was apparent.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Piell posted:

[url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/03/16/mulvaney_says_cutting_aid_to_the_poor_is_compassionate.html]
Mulvaney: You're only focusing on half of the equation, right? You're focusing on recipients of the money. We're focusing on recipients of the money and people who give us the money in the first place. I think it's fairly compassionate to go to them and say, look, we're not going to ask you for your hard-earned money anymore. Single mom of two in Detroit, OK, “Give us your money!” We're not going to do that anymore unless we can—please let me finish. Unless we can guarantee that money will be used in a proper function. That is about as compassionate as you can get.

Why do I hear dogs barking?

Or just straight up have state money go to the schools that the white kids are already attending.

The great catch of charter schools is that they usually are not required to take anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

evilweasel posted:

He wrote the memo knowing that it would be used as justification for the firing.

And yet he was ordered to write up his opinions on Comey's actions. So unless he just like resigned he didn't have an option.

It was specifically worded such that it didn't actually advocate for anything. Just his opinions on his mistakes

He knew that it would be used in a justification, he probably didn't expect to be the one that they put all the blame on in such a blatant lie though.

• Locked thread