Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Holy gently caress how are there 120+ supplements for this game.

Also, they normally add titles to sweeten the deal, no?

A lot of them are like, $2 for a 15-page mini-supplement. His business model is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Speaking as someone who owns a lot of those $2 supplements, they are pretty good. They are like individual sections ripped from a larger sourcebook and doled out in small bits. The thing I like about them is that they ooze quality. The layout and production design are as good as the actual books and sometimes there's all-new pieces of really good art in there. Schwalb doesn't skimp on these things, and I appreciate that for my money.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is there a Shadow of the Demon Lord thread here?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There is not. Floor's wide open for someone to make one!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is not. Floor's wide open for someone to make one!

If no one else beats me to it, I'll do it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

If no one else beats me to it, I'll do it.
Please. I'm too much of a SotDL noob even for this dead comedy forum.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Please. I'm too much of a SotDL noob even for this dead comedy forum.

Ask and ye shall receive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's apparently a big-rear end "OSR Extravaganza Sale" on DTRPG right now, running up until June 11

In particular there are megabundles for stuff like all the AD&D 1e corebooks, all the BECMI Gazeteers, all the AD&D Planescape books, and some OSRIC modules for big discounts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The BECMI bundle is a really good deal; the Rules Cyclopedia and all of the GAZ series for $15.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's apparently a big-rear end "OSR Extravaganza Sale" on DTRPG right now, running up until June 11

In particular there are megabundles for stuff like all the AD&D 1e corebooks, all the BECMI Gazeteers, all the AD&D Planescape books, and some OSRIC modules for big discounts.
I can't see any of those bundles? Edit: Because I'm looking in the wrong place.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Search for "megabundle."

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is this Pendragon RPG bundle worth getting? I heard the campaign is fantastic, but haven't heard anything about the new edition.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is the Anime Blast worth it? I already own TBZ, OVA, Kageami High, and FIGHT! Are the other games worth it?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is this Pendragon RPG bundle worth getting? I heard the campaign is fantastic, but haven't heard anything about the new edition.

From talk in the Gauntlet slack chat, the Pendragon bundle is a decent buy. It's also pissing off the Kickstarter backers a bit since they haven't been fulfilled.. You'll want the other one with the book of estates though, since that isn't in the core book.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

RedMagus posted:

From talk in the Gauntlet slack chat, the Pendragon bundle is a decent buy. It's also pissing off the Kickstarter backers a bit since they haven't been fulfilled.. You'll want the other one with the book of estates though, since that isn't in the core book.
Not to drag things too off topic, but what's the Gauntlet slack chat?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

Is the Anime Blast worth it? I already own TBZ, OVA, Kageami High, and FIGHT! Are the other games worth it?

TFoS is classic but it depends if you want something that's basically kind of a historical piece now. Ruined Empire is a solid setting for TBZ. Spark is very blah. Don't know anything about the rest.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Pendragon owns owns owns

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Pendragon owns owns owns

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Not to drag things too off topic, but what's the Gauntlet slack chat?

The Gauntlet is an online RPG community originally revolving around a G+ community. Part of it is a venue for organising online game sessions, but there's also a network of podcasts and an online magazine called Codex. They have a Slack channel that I think is for Patreon backers of Codex.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 24, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two things:

Blades in the Dark is today's Deal of the Day on DriveThru at $12.

Second, the new Bundle of Holding is old Catalyst and Flying Buffalo products, including Grimtooth's Traps and the excellent Citybook series. The Citybooks were full of well-written, interesting, generic city features that can be easily dropped into pretty much any setting. This is the first time this series has been available in PDF, and they're some of my favorite "old school" books.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The new Bundle of Holding is Rifts. God save us all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Rifts bonus collection is... exceedingly random. I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind it, and the best I can figure is that it's "mid-selling titles related to the core American setting"? The starter collection makes some sense (if not perfect sense, the GM's Guide is a bit much for starting players) but the bonus collection is just... baffling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aw heck, I couldn't resist - I bought the Starter Collection.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humble Bundle is doing a Dr. Who RPG bundle. $15 gets you all the sourcebooks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-rpg-books

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Humble Bundle is doing a Dr. Who RPG bundle. $15 gets you all the sourcebooks.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-rpg-books
I love Doctor Who but how's the game?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Reviews suggest point-buy (with extra points for disadvantages like Adversary) and the classic problem of one player being a Timelord and the rest being sidekicks, which is more than enough "game bad" for me.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

Reviews suggest point-buy (with extra points for disadvantages like Adversary) and the classic problem of one player being a Timelord and the rest being sidekicks, which is more than enough "game bad" for me.

You could honestly run it in an episodic, troupe style but I don't remember if they suggest that in the main book or in the subsequent versions since the first one. I haven't glanced through it since it originally came out but that was a big turn off for me.

The Doctor books are fantastic episode guides, rundowns of the eras btw. They're some of the best books for a TV property RPG that I've seen but the system is honestly weighed down by it being set up the way it is and the narrative structure of the show.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

homullus posted:

It's basically in the same vein as Cinematic Unisystem (the rules behind the Buffy and Angel RPGs), with a basic action resolution system, combat rules, and Drama Points (and the thing Rose does at the end of Series One is an example of throwing 50+ Drama Points at a problem). So yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the books suggest rotating out who's playing the Doctor, possibly even with the in-universe mechanic of Regeneration, if you didn't want to just handwave it at the beginning of each adventure. There's even a sidebar about running it with the Doctor as an NPC and the players having to bail him out of trouble, and every adventure is a Doctor-Lite episode.

EDIT: But yeah, the bundle is worth it for the #th Doctor sourcebooks alone

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

It's pretty good. It takes the "KISS" model to adapting a series where the system itself is made to be lite so newbies can get in. The way they handle the Doctor is the best they really could, honestly. They suggest either swapping out who playes him, have him as an NPC and do a bunch of Doctor-lite episodes, or just be cool with one guy being the Doctor and everyone else being the Companions because the Companions aren't worthless.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I loved the Phase order in initiative which is

1. People who want to talk
2. People who want to move
3. People who want to do an action
4. People who want to attack

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThru is having a "Christmas in July sale" right now, with a bunch of stuff discounted. Highlights include Fragged Empire for $16.50, Atomic Robo (one of the best Fate iterations) for $11.25, and Shadow of the Demon Lord for $15.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

DriveThru is having a "Christmas in July sale" right now, with a bunch of stuff discounted. Highlights include Fragged Empire for $16.50, Atomic Robo (one of the best Fate iterations) for $11.25, and Shadow of the Demon Lord for $15.

And Chuubos for 14.99

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/PalladiumFRPG

Palladium Fantasy Roleplaying is the new Bundle of Holding.

I think it's the revision of the first edition of the game, before they made it more compatible with the rest of the Palladium universe, but I'm not 100% sure, as it doesn't match the covers of my copies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, it looks like the first editions of the relevant Palladium Fantasy books, not the second edition versions.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it looks like the first editions of the relevant Palladium Fantasy books, not the second edition versions.

First edition is the better edition. It's a reasonable early-ish attempt at 'fixing' AD&D and has way more character than second edition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EverettLO posted:

First edition is the better edition. It's a reasonable early-ish attempt at 'fixing' AD&D and has way more character than second edition.

I agree with this opinion. All the Palladium integration in the second edition made it a lot more janky.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Looks like a bunch of sourcebooks for Ars Magica 5E are the Bundle of Holding deal. Plus you can get the original bundle with the core book.

How is Ars Magica? I hear good things.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Ars Magica is really cool but you gotta get a group that's into it. Get a group into it though...and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's 5th the good Ars edition? I seen to recall one of the editions wasn't great.