Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ettin posted:

The one person who backs this for the game is going to be pissed.

Funnily enough, it looks like they had a backer level for just a single of each card and for some reason limited it to two backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Stolze has a new kickstarter called Termination Shock.

It's not for a game (though there's a rough draft of a game in the stretch goals.) It's not a novel. It's podcasts of him playing a game you can't buy anywhere.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

inklesspen posted:

It's not for a game (though there's a rough draft of a game in the stretch goals.) It's not a novel. It's podcasts of him playing a game you can't buy anywhere.

Get back to me when Brenda Romero pitches this and I'll consider it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I have a feeling that something isn't quite normal about that pitch, and that Greg Stolze is doing something a little more unusual than just a podcast of a game that's still under development.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

inklesspen posted:

This is a joke, right? Or some kind of performance art?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You're talking about the co-designer of Delta Green and the designer of Unknown Armies.

I suspect this has layers.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I invite someone to tell me exactly what kind of onion this is.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

inklesspen posted:

This gotta be a weird metatextual thing that's taking itself too seriously

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, don't all of you just auto-back everything Stolze does?

...no?

Just me then, huh?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ominous Jazz posted:

This gotta be a weird metatextual thing that's taking itself too seriously

He's going to wait until the last day and suddenly cancel the kickstarter. That's the termination shock.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've backed a lot of his stuff but not this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other KS news, I got my refund for Reliquary (of "this isn't how I expected to spend my birthday" fame), which makes it the only one of my kickstarters that tanked that I've actually gotten a refund on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry to double-post but: Monsterhearts 2 backers, check your emails! :dance:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In other news, I ran the first two acts of Alas Vegas this last weekend for my Call of Cthulhu group. They went off-script, which isn't surprising, and a great time was had by all. The one thing I'd say about it, is that the whole narrative aspect of playing blackjack in combat and narrating what you're doing based on what comes up on every card you turn over tended to slow things down. It didn't make the game less fun, but I'd planned on around 9 hours for both acts, and I ended up having to trim a good part of Act 2 because it took us about six hours to get through Act 1.

I'm still very glad I backed it and the big reveal at the end of Act 2 was an enormous, awesome surprise for the group.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Peas and Rice posted:

In other news, I ran the first two acts of Alas Vegas this last weekend for my Call of Cthulhu group. They went off-script, which isn't surprising, and a great time was had by all. The one thing I'd say about it, is that the whole narrative aspect of playing blackjack in combat and narrating what you're doing based on what comes up on every card you turn over tended to slow things down. It didn't make the game less fun, but I'd planned on around 9 hours for both acts, and I ended up having to trim a good part of Act 2 because it took us about six hours to get through Act 1.

I'm still very glad I backed it and the big reveal at the end of Act 2 was an enormous, awesome surprise for the group.

Hmm, fair enough - I did wonder if that'd be a stumbling block. Did you shift GMs between sessions or are you planning on running all of it?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

Hmm, fair enough - I did wonder if that'd be a stumbling block. Did you shift GMs between sessions or are you planning on running all of it?

I was going to run all of it since the only other one of us who's worth a drat as a GM just ran Horror on the Orient Express over the course of the last two years, and he wanted a break. So I'm not sure how much that's "breaking" the game. We also have five players plus the GM, when the recommended number is four, but even with one extra combat takes longer than you'd expect. If I had it to do over again I'd just have people say one action per round and then play blackjack, rather than trying to narrate everything with every card.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This new Stolze thing seems almost like a Patreon crossover/attempt to sell playtesting as performance art. It might actually be good; this is Stolze and a couple of trusted friends, but I haven't listened to the sample yet. I'm just...not usually a 'beta' level backer and prefer to wait for the full product. I also don't listen to that many podcasts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Stolze regularly Kickstarts fiction, both short and long. This doesn't seem that different really, except you also get a look at a draft of a game he's designing.

Having listened to Stolze participate in various RPPR Actual Plays over the years I can pretty much guarantee these will be golden if you're into APs, before I even listen to them.

That said, the UA Kickstarter post about it sure made it sound like he was Kickstarting the actual game, which apparently is not the case.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm an Actual Play junkie so I backed it, to be able to hear Greg Stolze GM if nothing else. The setting is interesting, basically Stolze Does Eclipse Phase on Backwater Mars, and the PCs are suitably weird. The fact that he thought the campaign was interesting enough to be worth posting for all the world to see is probably a good indicator - if they were planning on doing that from the very beginning, I have to believe Greg is savvy enough to have had a good audio setup from the get-go rather than realizing he should do it around episode 3.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Dharker Studio".

Looks like they're a VN company so I guess they have experience making squish-core .pngs. Game looks like utter trash, tho.

I'm really into them touting "STACKABLE CARDS" as a revolutionary idea.

Like, at least that awful Honeypop game just was honest and said "YO YOU GUYS WANNA SEE TITS? LIKE MATCH 3 GAMES? COOL HERE YA GO YOU FUCKIN ANIMALS."

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I'm somewhat surprised no one here linked Onyx Path's currently ongoing Kickstarter for Monarchies of Mau, a cat-themed expansion to Pugmire.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So the Kitchen Rush kickstarter is finally live, and (although I'm biased), the game looks really good from what I've seen so far. No rules out yet, but Rahdo's video pretty much shows 90% of the rules so it's a good starting point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

So the Kitchen Rush kickstarter is finally live, and (although I'm biased), the game looks really good from what I've seen so far. No rules out yet, but Rahdo's video pretty much shows 90% of the rules so it's a good starting point.

As much as I dislike Kickstarter exclusives, there is basically no reason to back this right now over waiting to get it on CSI for cheaper. I don't know what MSRP is, but even a 20% discount plus a promo pack of additional orders (or whatever) would go a long way.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

This seems like such an intuitive great idea, I'm surprised it doesn't already exist. Kind of reminds me of Paperback that way.

Anyway, I'll be backing this one. I think it'll be great as a family game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

As much as I dislike Kickstarter exclusives, there is basically no reason to back this right now over waiting to get it on CSI for cheaper. I don't know what MSRP is, but even a 20% discount plus a promo pack of additional orders (or whatever) would go a long way.
They are planning stretch goals so bonuses are probably forthcoming. There's this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is the game going to be available in Northern America through another partner?
At the moment there is no arrangement in place regarding US distribution. Even if the game ends up hitting the retail market, it is quite likely it will have a higher price than 55$ due to its high manufacturing cost.

I can't comment on the MSRP or if the above is just a way to get people to back now. Also the rulebook isn't present for downloading yet, so I would suggest waiting for that before taking the plunge. I know the designer, hence why I've backed early.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 24, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

jmzero posted:

This seems like such an intuitive great idea, I'm surprised it doesn't already exist. Kind of reminds me of Paperback that way.

It isn't the first time that a sand timer was used in this way: this game, for example. I think the sand timer works better for a co-op game, however, and I think it works especially well in terms of the theme as well.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tekopo posted:

I mean, Overcooked: The Board Game sounds good to me??

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Deathlove posted:

I mean, Overcooked: The Board Game sounds good to me??

Well - yeah, exactly. I will say that, watching the video, I'm a bit disappointed the game isn't more... physical? Like, I wish you were actually moving little ceramic plates with mini food around the kitchen - like maybe you have to sort of push them around the restaurant and not bump into things. And I wish that you had to assemble the food a bit more - like, make hamburgers where you actually have to put a little meat patty on a bun and then a little bun on top or something. And then have, like, 2 sides to the burger patty tokens so you mark when they're done cooking by flipping them over. Also, I want there to be varying maps. (And working conveyor belts).

Anyway, yeah, I think I'll still grab it, but I'm less excited than I was for the wackier Overcooked board game that was in my mind.

VVV: Well.. that's kind of a different subset again though? I guess I like the hourglass-as-worker-placement-kind-of idea in implementing a co-op time management food game. Yes that's very specific. Geez guys just let me love this game!

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 24, 2017

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

jmzero posted:

Not even the first time it's been used for food:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/wok-star

It was an alright co-op.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Stolze occasionally does Kickstarters for kinda weird poo poo like this. I can only assume that he's planning on actually releasing the game at some point?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doodmons posted:

Stolze occasionally does Kickstarters for kinda weird poo poo like this. I can only assume that he's planning on actually releasing the game at some point?

One of the Kickstarter stretch goals is a rough draft PDF of the game, so yeah, I would presume he's planning on a release at some point.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

As someone who spends many hours a week watching other people play videogames, I could see myself backing a playthrough if the price was right.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

counterspin posted:

As someone who spends many hours a week watching other people play videogames, I could see myself backing a playthrough if the price was right.

Well, in this case, the price is $5.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

malkav11 posted:

Well, in this case, the price is $5.

$5? As someone who likes but does not adore Stolze and who generally doesn't go for most Actual Play stuff, that price might even get me. From the description, I wasn't going to check it out, but at $5, well even if I hate it, it's a tiny amount of money and it's going to a cool designer, so I might as well back.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I dropped for the higher level, because there are sweet-rear end feelies and the "highest" level is still only $30. I may feel like a fool about it later, but I figure I probably owe Greg Stolze a couple lunches for the enjoyment I've gotten from his stuff over the years, so why not?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/killer-robot-games/legendary-showdown-presidential-edition?ref=di4jqf

Finally the Political Card Game that America Deserves

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got that nice Tim Buckley art.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Finally, a game for me, the woke centrist lanyard dick who loves feminism and...political incorrectness?!?!?!?!? What the heck?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/922985108/trumped-the-board-game-0?ref=category
A game based on US politics turns up every week. I don't understand the appeal of these - the joke's good for one sitting, but is the novelty going to last? Will a kickstarter deliver promptly enough to still be topical? Will the game still be relevant as Trump's story in politics develops? There are historical politics games out there, but they're done with hindsight rather than chucking a box out while it's hard to tell what's going on. Most of these are redoing the same jokes, and this one looks like a knockoff

I'm looking at this game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/hand-of-fate-ordeals
A cooperative deckbuilder with neat art, and done by an Australian. The only kickstarter-exclusive thing so far is cosmetic, which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I didn't realize someone could make a shittier version of Illuminati, but there you go.