Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lote posted:

You could tell your therapist that you murdered someone and got away with it. They have to keep it confidential.

I don't think that's true at all. I thought they had/could report confessions of crimes if they chose to. They're not priests, they're doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think that's true at all. I thought they had/could report confessions of crimes if they chose to. They're not priests, they're doctors.

:thejoke:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Your shrink can also get you involuntarily committed if they think you are an active danger to yourself or others

I mean, if you tell a psychiatrist that the voices are telling you to burn things, what do you think is gonna happen

For the record, though, I think priests also have to report you if they think you're gonna hurt people. If you sit down in a confessional and say "father I did 9/11 and I'm planning my next big hit already, am I cool with Jesus?" he's not gonna have you do ten hail marys and move on, he's gonna call the loving cops

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
how does the priest measure sin in our fathers and hail marys i've always wondered

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Putty posted:

how does the priest measure sin in our fathers and hail marys i've always wondered

There's a chart on the wall in their side of the confessional.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

Growing up catholic, you realize early on that the priest has no loving clue either. The movie Don Jon hit it right on the head.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Putty posted:

I mean as I understand it confessional "punishments" are pretty much only there to make the confessor feel better so the number is arbitrary (IANAC)

I should start a similar program for this thread

Look at Goatse ten times and get therapy my son

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

loquacius posted:

Your shrink can also get you involuntarily committed if they think you are an active danger to yourself or others

I mean, if you tell a psychiatrist that the voices are telling you to burn things, what do you think is gonna happen

For the record, though, I think priests also have to report you if they think you're gonna hurt people. If you sit down in a confessional and say "father I did 9/11 and I'm planning my next big hit already, am I cool with Jesus?" he's not gonna have you do ten hail marys and move on, he's gonna call the loving cops

I always heard that regarding an active danger, but as far as I know they won't call the police if you confess to past murders. I think they obviously will encourage you to turn yourself in, but unless various episodes of Law & Order lied to me, they won't rat you out if you aren't currently thinking of hurting anybody.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

loquacius posted:

Nope, a Catholic priest can't break the seal of confessional for any reason whatsoever. Its not entirely unreasonable, since if they could, people simply wouldn't confess crimes in the first place.

What they can do in an extreme situation like that is refuse to grant absolution unless the person turns themself in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
time to go confess to a bunch of crimes i've not committed to a catholic priest

:troll:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You also have that umpire mask thing obscuring view of your face.

The perfect crime... those harpies won't even know what to do...

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

I don't know how you drat Protestants do things, but for Catholic priests they can't violate your confidentiality.

The loophole is that part of confession is penance... usually it's just a few Hail Mary's or whatever, but they can assign more serious penance for more serious offenses. So they could tell you that for penance, you must confess to the police and seek mental health treatment.

(If you don't do your penance, you die in sin and go to hell.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loquacius posted:

I mean as I understand it confessional "punishments" are pretty much only there to make the confessor feel better so the number is arbitrary (IANAC)

I should start a similar program for this thread

Look at Goatse ten times and get therapy my son

Hail TubGirl, full of.... I don't know what substance that is. Probably not grace.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hail TubGirl, full of.... I don't know what substance that is. Probably not grace.

Grease

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

loquacius posted:

These are not great reasons to doubt reality and come off kind of whiny. You have to work because there are too many people on Earth for naturally-occurring food to sustain us all, so we have to make our own. Making food is hard and the people who do it deserve something in return. Everything stems from that.

You can absolutely climb a building if you work out a lot. People do poo poo like that all the time. Bad example maybe but you need to find good examples if you want to convince anyone of something like this.

Better reason to doubt reality is psychedelic drugs and the emergence of VR

It's pretty easy to trick your brain and in the future we will have tech/VR that will be indistinguishable from "reality".

This raises the question maybe we already got to that point and we are stuck in a loop of fake realities

However we can't really prove this until we die/take a bunch of DMT

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

A "therapist" and a "psychiatrist" are not the same, at least over here. A therapist is someone who asks you to sit on their couch and offers marriage counseling, therapy sessions for abuse victims, etc. A psychiatrist is actually a doctor that prescribes drugs and treats patients with acute severe mental disorders such as schizophrenia, borderliners, sucidals and other dangerous (to themselves or others) illnesses. The former can't get you commited, he can only get you evaluated by the latter, the latter, however, can dose you to the moon and straight up send you to the loony bin.

Is it different in the states?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hopper posted:

A "therapist" and a "psychiatrist" are not the same, at least over here. A therapist is someone who asks you to sit on their couch and offers marriage counseling, therapy sessions for abuse victims, etc. A psychiatrist is actually a doctor that prescribes drugs and treats patients with acute severe mental disorders such as schizophrenia, borderliners, sucidals and other dangerous (to themselves or others) illnesses. The former can't get you commited, he can only get you evaluated by the latter, the latter, however, can dose you to the moon and straight up send you to the loony bin.

In the states what you said is accurate, other than the fact that a therapist can be a psychiatrist as well(and many of them are, as people are more likely to trust a doctor than a rando as their therapist).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Lote posted:

You could tell your therapist that you murdered someone and got away with it. They have to keep it confidential.

I won't fink says kinky shrink

(I've been re-watching Frasier lately)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

I don't know how you drat Protestants do things, but for Catholic priests they can't violate your confidentiality.

The loophole is that part of confession is penance... usually it's just a few Hail Mary's or whatever, but they can assign more serious penance for more serious offenses. So they could tell you that for penance, you must confess to the police and seek mental health treatment.

(If you don't do your penance, you die in sin and go to hell.)

That's a pretty good plan

I was raised Jewish and we efficiently build all of our confession, absolution, and penance into one boring exhausting day

Hopper posted:

Nah, that's right and it's actually why I specifically tell people to get therapy because a lot of the time you just need a reality check. If you actually need medication a therapist can refer you to someone who can prescribe it.

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's pretty easy to trick your brain and in the future we will have tech/VR that will be indistinguishable from "reality".

This raises the question maybe we already got to that point and we are stuck in a loop of fake realities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

That's a pretty good plan

I was raised Jewish and we efficiently build all of our confession, absolution, and penance into one boring exhausting day

Do you even articulate what you did wrong to another person and receive a penance, or is it more of a "think about what you did while wearing a cool hat"?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

Do you even articulate what you did wrong to another person and receive a penance, or is it more of a "think about what you did while wearing a cool hat"?

the penance is that you have to stand up in temple all day listening to chanting and not eating food, and yeah you don't say it out loud because that's the one day of the year anyone bothers going to temple and it'd take even longer if they let everybody talk to the rabbi

e: Wait, it's been a while since I actually went to a Yom Kippur service but I just remembered, there's one part where everyone says in unison "for the times when I was a dick to my neighbor, for the times when I lied about how hard something was so people would be more impressed with me, for the times when I secretly snuck an extra candy out of the big bowl," etc etc etc. It's a catch-all confession for a catch-all day.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 24, 2017

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
You people talk about the technicalities of religions and there's a dead goon somewhere out there who's getting wrapped into a rug by a crying woman smdh

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

RFC2324 posted:

In the states what you said is accurate, other than the fact that a therapist can be a psychiatrist as well(and many of them are, as people are more likely to trust a doctor than a rando as their therapist).

A psychiatrist has a Ph.D., a therapist only needs a certification, sometimes not even that.

Bear in mind that I'm not putting down therapists, a good one can be life-changing.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Gynovore posted:

A psychiatrist has a Ph.D., a therapist only needs a certification, sometimes not even that.

Bear in mind that I'm not putting down therapists, a good one can be life-changing.

From Hoppers AV I'm asuming he's german, just like me. Over here you need a lot of qualification to be a therapist a health insurance provider is willing to shell out for. It's very different from the US. This is the case for many jobs. Generally you need a lot more qualification over here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gynovore posted:

a bad one can also be life changing

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

purple death ray posted:

a bad one can also be life ending

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

purple death ray posted:

a bad one can also be life changing

Well, yeah, you might get laid.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I just had surgery and got some oxycontin for pain relief

now ive seen this stuff in movies used as recreational drugs, but this stuff is just making me sleepy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fartbox posted:

now ive seen this stuff in movies used as recreational drugs, but this stuff is just making me sleepy

thats about 90% of recreational drugs, tbh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Fartbox posted:

I got IV morphine once after a surgery and it felt pretty good, but when I asked for more they said I'd have to stay an extra 24 hours. I said no thanks because gently caress that, no drugs make sleeping in a hospital worth it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Fried Watermelon posted:

As someone who works with virtual reality i can tell you we are nowhere near this point

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm the gay male friend to a lot of girls, and my best friend is a girl I've known since high school. We hang out constantly and share all the details of our lives. Because I'm gay, I feel like women are more open to sharing things. I get to hear about bedroom antics, fights with the guy... all things that were I straight, I probably wouldn't know. I'm also just one of the girls in a a lot of ways, so I've seen all my girls in various states of undress, have spent the night with them and cuddled up, and overall get a lot of hugs and stuff while hanging out with them.

My confession is I'm not gay.

I was an awkward late bloomer in high school and never asked out any girls. My best friend, Jessie for ease of writing this, was one of the most attractive and popular girls in school. Guys were constantly asking her out. She sat in front of me in home room and, although I thought about it, I never had the balls to ask her out. We started talking and she was honestly one of the few people I talked to at all in high school. We got to be really good friends, but the topic of my sexuality didn't come up until junior year.

Everyone was getting excited for prom. This was 2004, so same sex couples were still taboo in a lot of areas, including my school. Jessie came up to me one day and said "It's such a shame you're discriminated against and can't go to prom. You should just go stag and hang out with me and the girls all night". I completely misread what she was saying - I thought she was saying it was bad that single people felt ostracized at the prom, and that she was going to let me hang out with her friends so I felt better. I stupidly agreed to this, and thus began my fake life.

It finally clicked about an hour into prom. I kept wondering - why do these beautiful girls want to hang out with me? Then one said "Isn't that guy cute? He seems just your type David". And I realized - they thought I was gay. I was so flabbergasted I didn't know what to do. I was nervous around these girls to begin with, and feared that saying "I'm straight" would ruin my friendship and cause them to ostracize me like so many others had.

Since then we have only gotten closer and closer. These girls have become my closest and only real friends. I have work-friends and whatnot, but nobody that I routinely hang out with more than my girls. I never "act gay" - I don't talk about cute guys or put on do a fake voice or act any different than I really am. So in a way it's kind of beautiful that they just accept me as I am - at least, how they think I am. But it's all built on a lie and I'm sure if they realized they'd been naked and spooned with a straight man, their act would change.

Which brings me to the big thing that's driving this confession, and the heartache and confusion I'm feeling now. Jessie is getting married.

I am extremely happy for her, her fiance is an awesome guy, and I'm sure the wedding will be wonderful. But she wants me to be her maid of honor and give a speech. I can still wear a suit and everything, but she wants me to be on her side of the ceremony and plan her bachelorette party and whatnot. I don't even know where to begin with all of this and this is the first time I've felt like my lie is going to come undone. She wants to visit a male strip club and go drinking. Two big problems - there's no way in hell I could be around nude men, let alone do it and still appear to be homosexual. And 2 - I don't routinely drink. I am terrified I will get drunk and my true heterosexual nature will come through. I'm also not super happy about being on the "woman's" side of things in the wedding - I am still a straight male and this hurts my pride in a way I can't really articulate all that well.

I am convinced the wedding will be the end of our friendship, one way or the other. Either I slip up and she realizes I've been lying for more than a decade, or I get so frustrated with everything that I just admit it myself.

I mean, you probably shouldn't be doing this at all, ofc but

the easiest way out here is to find an excuse to not do the bachelorette party. This shouldn't be hard. Say you're too busy or that you don't really do nights out that often or etc etc etc, and get someone else in the bridal party to plan it. Then don't go, because you have a wicked migraine or diarrhea or whatever, think of something, and "make it up to her" by taking her out to brunch or something. Still stand in the right place and give your speech though, you shouldn't have a problem with that. Make the program say "man of honor" though, that's a reasonable request. My sister had a "man of honor" at her wedding.

quote:

Crime in my city has gotten out of control. Lots of drugs coming in and flooding the streets, leading to gang activity, people ODing, robberies, theft, and all around danger in the streets. People I knew as a child are now being busted for selling meth, or leaving their baby unattended while they smoked weed. It's out of control.

I am slowly starting to change that. I am a real life superhero.

I am not one of those losers who read too many comics and decided dressing in a fruity costume was the way to go. No, I'm a person who watches the news and sees how bad things are going. Someone who realizes we need to take our country back from the gangs and thugs and drugs poisoning our youth.

3 times a week I drive around town with my speakers blaring, on loop "RETURN TO YOUR HOMES. THIS IS A SAFE TOWN NOW. NO MORE DRUGS, NO MORE VIOLENCE". I've had the cops talk to me a few times but after I explain my mission, they just let me roll on.

Two nights a week I put on my "hero outfit". Nothing over the top - just a black bulletproof vest, a gray jumpsuit, some goggles to obscure my identity, and a helmet. On the vest I wrote my hero name - The Constitutional Avenger. Which is fitting because I also exercise my 2nd ammendment rights by carrying my gun, which I have a permit for.

I have never had to use the gun on anyone. I've shot into the air twice, just to scare off some dangerous thugs who were definitely thinking of attacking me.

I've been tracking crime rates since I started. Last April, my town had 3 fatal shootings, 12 arrests for drug issues, 4 car accidents due to drunk driving, and a multitude of other arrests for issues like vandalism.

This April - 2 shootings but only 1 was fatal, the other guy is still in the hospital but expected to live. 10 drug arrests. 2 car accidents. And we still have issues with vandalism but I'm tackling the big issues first.

I've made a huge difference in my town and can't wait to continue making it great again.
I think we've had "fake superhero" confessions before; this one is different, though, in that the narrator is of course not actually doing anything

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Wow, fake gay guy, that's both the saddest and funniest thing I've read in a while.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

loquacius posted:

I think we've had "fake superhero" confessions before; this one is different, though, in that the narrator is of course not actually doing anything

Seriously, he watches the news and creates noise disturbances that accomplish nothing. Lamest superhero I ever heard of.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Police Automaton posted:

From Hoppers AV I'm asuming he's german, just like me. Over here you need a lot of qualification to be a therapist a health insurance provider is willing to shell out for. It's very different from the US. This is the case for many jobs. Generally you need a lot more qualification over here.

Like a lot of mental health issues in the US, it depends a lot on the state as well. Licensure is a big deal in many of them, requiring a Masters degree and supervision under a fully licensed therapist. Often there are different tiers as well, so there is a lot of work you have to do before you can be a solo practitioner.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jim Barris posted:

Wow, fake gay guy, that's both the saddest and funniest thing I've read in a while.

I was the "Man of Honor" at my friend's wedding. It's not odd at all. She's choosing you because you're her closest friend. That's the biggest issue here. Have you been sleeping with girls all this time? If not just come out as asexual and be done with it. That may actually be the issue anyways.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah he doesn't exist if you google him so uhhh why put your stupid superhero name in the confession?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i think I'm going to become a real life supervillain just to kick the rear end of anybody in tights

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah he doesn't exist if you google him so uhhh why put your stupid superhero name in the confession?

Tbf if it was real I don't think anyone around would take him seriously enough to publish his fake name in the local paper or whatever, but he'd take himself seriously enough to brag about it

It fits

Putty posted:

i think I'm going to become a real life supervillain just to kick the rear end of anybody in tights

Drive around with speakers on your car repeating "CHAOS REIGNS. RIOT IN THE STREETS. YOU ARE VERY AFRAID. THIS IS CHAOS TOWN NOW." over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

loquacius posted:

im not gay

Step the gently caress up and plan the most baller loving bachelorette party for your friend that the world has ever seen. Then give a speech at her wedding that would give the greatest ancient Greek orators pause.

This girl has confided in you, cuddled with you, vented to you, and been such a close friend over the years that she wants you to be the maid of honor?

loving do it, you enormous goober.

Not because you "owe" her or some poo poo like that, but because come the gently caress on, it's the right thing to do, and it's an opportunity for you to shine. Who gives a poo poo if you have to see (gasp!) a scantily-clad or n-n-n-n-nude m-m-m-m-male? Show your friend a great time, you numbskull. As for the fear of being drunk, covertly ask the bartender to serve you water on the rocks with a lemon slice and a straw in place of alcohol, and refuse any other drinks offered. Just say you're not fond of whatever they're offering. Or, better yet, offer to be the DD. Instant ticket out of that problem.

Also, as far as revealing your secret, you don't have to tell her you're not gay. Why would you do that?!?! Getting married is supposed to be one of the happiest moments in a person's life and you're telling us you might "slip up" and loving ruin it because, I dunno, you don't want to see a dong? Dude, you don't even have to lie--if one of the gals asks if you think the stripper is hot, you can just say "eh, he's not my type."

And you know you don't have to look at the dong, right?