Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

robotsinmyhead posted:

My friend works for a charter school that seems to get a lot of 'troubled' kids. These are the kids that got kicked out of public schools for various reasons, so part of the way this charter school makes money (in my unofficial opinion) is by grabbing them all up and putting them in one place. The charter school makes a bunch of money and is likely less accountable than their public counterparts, so they can claim they reformed the kids etc.

The only people I know who are really in favor of school vouchers are A) libertarians/FYGM diehards B) very religious C) wealthy and white - obv there's a lot of overlap in those groups.

Also, Vouchers very conveniently became a thing to push for after Brown v. Board of Education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

That's before there is actual human running against him that the conservative infotainment complex has demonized though.

That didn't really help his favorables very much, just his vote take.

Trump still had the lowest favorables of any candidate, ever.

(second was Clinton)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

lol the georgia race has gotten so expensive local tv stations are reorganizing their lineup so they can show more political ads:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygomez/georgia-special-election-has-republicans-wondering-about?utm_term=.kgKq6bxz4v#.shA4rRLvnZ

I always wondered what it would be like to live in Ohio.

Quick, someone gimme a bowl of lovely chili.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

That didn't really help his favorables very much, just his vote take.

Trump still had the lowest favorables of any candidate, ever.

(second was Clinton)

Well yeah but as you're proving here, he doesn't need high favorables to win.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

robotsinmyhead posted:

My friend works for a charter school that seems to get a lot of 'troubled' kids. These are the kids that got kicked out of public schools for various reasons, so part of the way this charter school makes money (in my unofficial opinion) is by grabbing them all up and putting them in one place. The charter school makes a bunch of money and is likely less accountable than their public counterparts, so they can claim they reformed the kids etc.

The only people I know who are really in favor of school vouchers are A) libertarians/FYGM diehards B) very religious C) wealthy and white - obv there's a lot of overlap in those groups.

It should not be ignored that charters actually have a decent following in minority communities with concerned parents who see it as a way for their children to actually have a chance at success in areas where the schools are terrible.

I don't know what % that is but it's not just wealthy whites.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rigel posted:

This may be correct, but the 21% who are STILL with him now are either not paying any attention at all, or they will be bitter enders.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/867419203065835520

I call into wonder just how much of the explosive growth of the "strongly disapprove" set is a flip directly from strongly approve / somewhat approve right to the opposite end of the spectrum once voters realized (1) Trump lied about healthcare (2) Trump was actually serious about going full focus on immigration over other promises on economic end ethics topics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Charter schools aren't inherently bad, they're just not regulated properly often and stuff and thus are often pretty bad, if not outright scams. In some states they're probably better than others, since among other things they may actually be held to some semblance of standards.

Potato Salad posted:

I call into wonder just how much of the explosive growth of the "strongly disapprove" set is a flip directly from strongly approve / somewhat approve right to the opposite end of the spectrum once voters realized (1) Trump lied about healthcare (2) Trump was actually serious about going full focus on immigration over other promises on economic end ethics topics.

It probably mirrors pretty well; strongly approving people move into slightly approving, those move to neutral or disapproving, and slightly disapproving begin to disapprove strongly. It's also probably why "strongly disapprove" can grow so much without "cutting into" the more mild disapproval; as people move out of the latter, they're replaced by those who previously were more neutral.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 24, 2017

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

It's really starting to feel like Hannity has already decided he's leaving Fox News and is just trying to attract as large of a fanbase from the internet alt-right as he can before becoming a martyr and starting up his own internet show or something.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RiggenBlaque posted:

It's really starting to feel like Hannity has already decided he's leaving Fox News and is just trying to attract as large of a fanbase from the internet alt-right as he can before becoming a martyr and starting up his own internet show or something.

His radio show isn't going anywhere.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Well yeah but as you're proving here, he doesn't need high favorables to win.

It's true, but I wonder how strong his "strongly approve" was leading up to the election. Even if those people are dropping from "strong" to "approve" and will still vote for him, the gap of enthusiasm for him from the insane part of the country could really cause those more near the middle, but uninformed, to not bother to vote.

I'm not predicting this will happen by any means, but it would sure be nice.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

JeffersonClay posted:

Support for charter schools is pretty consistent across racial groups so while this might accurately describe some people's conception of the issue it's not a complete picture.

Here's a good starter read on that front:
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/10/06/496411024/why-busing-didnt-end-school-segregation

robotsinmyhead posted:

That too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

It should not be ignored that charters actually have a decent following in minority communities with concerned parents who see it as a way for their children to actually have a chance at success in areas where the schools are terrible.

They also work really well in Scandinavian countries, but they have very strict restrictions on religious proselytizing by schools that receive the funds, which we can't do.

They aren't necessarily a bad idea in the abstract, they're just going to be implemented horribly by the Republicans because they're a stalking horse to defund public Ed generally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Does Quist have any shot at all? Are the votes even there?

As people have said, he has a shot but he is the underdog. He has never led in any of the polls, but they have been close enough that turnout can win it for him because it's very difficult to model special election turnout. If it's close but he still loses, that's still a good sign for 2018 because (a) he's a flawed candidate in some important respects and (b) it's a very conservative state.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Roland Jones posted:

Charter schools aren't inherently bad, they're just not regulated properly often and stuff and thus are often pretty bad, if not outright scams. In some states they're probably better than others, since among other things they may actually be held to some semblance of standards.

The biggest issue is that 1 good charter school is being used to prop up 10 bad charters schools. There is a good push in minority communities to move to charters because the public school system, particularly in how they are funded, is bad in those areas. Instead of fixing the problem, the charters spring up and some are actually good and useful. Others are scams or unregulated nightmare zones to stash "problem" students with ill-trained teachers.

I'm starting teaching in the fall out in Texas and it can be a bit dire at times. Charters are a band-aid instead of a cure.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/867428184479981570

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Alter Ego posted:

Its going to be close. I'm still not positive that Quist can pull it off, Republicans are simply really entrenched in this this state. Also doesn't help the Republican party here pushed to restrict mail in ballots to keep people from voting.

I will say that I see a lot of Quist signs, have received more calls from Quist supporters and his rallies have been pretty huge for the area.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Alter Ego posted:

Its shockingly close for a state like this. Quist was down 4 last poll we heard from.

If the GOP turnout is fine, then Quist probably loses, but thats the big question. If Trump is depressing turnout then people who are telling pollsters they plan to vote for Gianforte might not bother to get out of bed and Quist wins.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

As people have said, he has a shot but he is the underdog. He has never led in any of the polls, but they have been close enough that turnout can win it for him because it's very difficult to model special election turnout. If it's close but he still loses, that's still a good sign for 2018 because (a) he's a flawed candidate in some important respects and (b) it's a very conservative state.

One thing is for certain: If he loses, this thread will have half a dozen posters LOSING THEIR MINDS about how the Democrats are DEFINITELY doomed forever

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Ferret posted:

The biggest issue is that 1 good charter school is being used to prop up 10 bad charters schools. There is a good push in minority communities to move to charters because the public school system, particularly in how they are funded, is bad in those areas. Instead of fixing the problem, the charters spring up and some are actually good and useful. Others are scams or unregulated nightmare zones to stash "problem" students with ill-trained teachers.

I'm starting teaching in the fall out in Texas and it can be a bit dire at times. Charters are a band-aid instead of a cure.

Oh, yeah, I don't disagree. I'm not a fan of them myself and would prefer we fix public schools myself.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

I always wondered what it would be like to live in Ohio.

Quick, someone gimme a bowl of lovely chili.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

theflyingorc posted:

One thing is for certain: If he loses, this thread will have half a dozen posters LOSING THEIR MINDS about how the Democrats are DEFINITELY doomed forever

Or if he wins

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I look forward to the book about the Fox News meltdown and can only hope it's called Bonfire of the Hannities.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Voter disenfranchisement is loving stupid, and I'm ready to go to a 3-day, full polling place, weekend vote like France seems to be doing.

Scheduling voting for one working day is just nakedly stealing votes form poor people.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Huh

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/james-runcie-education-department-resigns-238762

quote:

Top Education Department official resigns
James Runcie, head of the agency's student aid office, submitted his resignation last night, effective immediately.

By MICHAEL STRATFORD and KIMBERLY HEFLING 05/24/2017 10:37 AM EDT Updated 05/24/2017 12:29 PM EDT

The head of the Education Department’s student financial aid office has resigned after more than seven years on the job following an apparent dispute with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos over his scheduled testimony before the House Oversight Committee.

James Runcie, chief operating officer of the Office of Federal Student Aid, “submitted his resignation to the department last night,” effective immediately, the agency said in a press release. Runcie had been slated to testify on Thursday before the House Oversight Committee regarding the department’s rising improper payment rate for federal student aid programs.

An Education Department official, who declined to be named, said Runcie’s resignation came abruptly at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday after DeVos directed him to testify before the House oversight panel. The department official said Runcie also refused requests to testify made by the committee and Jim Manning, the department’s acting undersecretary.

Runcie’s name is included on a committee witness list for the hearing. The Education Department’s Inspector General and the head of a group representing financial aid administrators are also slated to testify. A committee spokesperson did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The department official said Runcie said he wasn’t the correct person to testify about the issue, but department leadership indicated they didn't understand his reasoning and are baffled by his refusal to testify.

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” the official said. “We don’t know.”

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

lol the georgia race has gotten so expensive local tv stations are reorganizing their lineup so they can show more political ads:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygomez/georgia-special-election-has-republicans-wondering-about?utm_term=.kgKq6bxz4v#.shA4rRLvnZ

I'm going to laugh even harder knowing this if they actually lose. All this money for a 'safe' seat

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Skyline chili is an atrocity. But god drat that cheese is the poo poo. When I lived in Cincinnati I would order cheese coneys with no chili just because that cheese is so good.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Basically. In 'bad' school districts it's a way for the students that have more involved parents to get their kids out of the system. In the case of gentrifying whites (See: Weehawken NJ, among other places), it's a way to not have to send their kids to the schools with those same troubled kids. It's a win-win for each of those groups.

And the (not fully corrupt) charters know this. They know they can get the good kids with involved parents no matter what the income background to send their kids.

Which then, in turn is catastrophic to the public school system in many ways.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Re:advertisers jumping ship on Hannity, is there a convenient list of them + contact info floating around anywhere I can pass around?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mahoning posted:

Skyline chili is an atrocity. But god drat that cheese is the poo poo. When I lived in Cincinnati I would order cheese coneys with no chili just because that cheese is so good.

isn't it just cheddar?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gorilla Salad posted:

I kninda wonder if some IC people took him aside and just showed him all the poo poo they had on the administration and the GOP and gave him the option of either being part of the solution or being the guy who went down in history as being the patsy for the covering up widespread light treason.

I think this is how it went, and moreover, also with Nunes (why did he recuse himself?) and Chaffetz (oh gosh guy emergency foot surgery and I resign bye!)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

Here's a slim-to-none possibility no one is thinking about right now. What if the polls and turnout model end up being significantly wrong the other way? What if Quist wins and its not even close, like 53-44, something crazy like that. The GOP would immediately go into a double drudge siren blind panic.

OK, I'm done dreaming, back to hoping Quist barely wins by half a point after a recount.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Northern Ohio is not to blame for this.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/867427806413811712

That doesn't look good

e.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2460

quote:

"Retirement age voters are leaving in big numbers," Malloy added.

Uh oh

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Chilichimp posted:

Voter disenfranchisement is loving stupid, and I'm ready to go to a 3-day, full polling place, weekend vote like France seems to be doing.

Scheduling voting for one working day is just nakedly stealing votes form poor people.

I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people. They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now. As a matter of fact our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down. —Paul Weyrich, 1980

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

I think this is how it went, and moreover, also with Nunes (why did he recuse himself?) and Chaffetz (oh gosh guy emergency foot surgery and I resign bye!)

Because he allowed himself to be followed to the white house and then had the loving stones to admit what he was doing there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

37% is a new low!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

boner confessor posted:

mock them. there's no arguing with them, just tell them why they are wrong in a calm voice like you are correcting a child and then maybe throw in a clever, polite insult if you want. no name calling, just demonstrate your literacy

Silence will be filled with non-sense; find your voice and speak. If they are allowed to state their views in front of others and nobody voices any objection, the newbs lurking 'round your bliss pit will think that's 'normal' and be primed to emulate. It's the humansong that carries that determines the behavior of a population.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
gently caress you :mad:

(Granted, I live in northern Kentucky and I understand entirely why people hate it. But I like it.)

theflyingorc posted:

isn't it just cheddar?
Yeah, but they steam it or serve it at a certain temperature that makes you want to grab handfuls and eat it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Nunes (why did he recuse himself?)

His covering up was so loving incompetent it was backfiring. The Republicans want the Trump probe quietly obstructed, not loudly obstructed. Nunes was giving away the game so he got yanked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

Its such a slander against the whole state to equate that Cincinnati bullshit on spaghetti to the official Ohio food reference. At least go with Buckeyes (balls of peanut butter fudge dipped in chocolate) or come up to Cleveland for some perogies and a Polish Boy.

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread