Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Me, yesterday: I love this, but it might be too dumb for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Never is anything too dumb for the gayest thread on the deadest forums.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

bring back old gbs posted:

some grandpas step out of the shadows itt god drat. t2 is so superior it is ridiculous.

gently caress off with that 10fps stop motion t1 garbage reveal. that poo poo suuuuuuucks. if u didnt want to be john connor hacking atms and riding dirtbikes to the arcade when u were a kid....thats shameful

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Dmitri-9 posted:

T1 is a classic sci-fi story, T2 is a watershed moment in cinema. Not just for special effects but every scene is a pop culture touchstone.

This is true of both T2 and Aliens

To this day I still see "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" and "game over man, game over!" allll over the internets

gently caress I love the Alien, Aliens T1, T2 movies. Also Predator. They are some of my favourite movies ever made

It's such a shame that so little good has come after them. Nowadays if you want sci-fi action you gotta watch stuff like Transformers and poo poo??? God drat what a drop in entertainment

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Blue Star posted:

do we need to know what it is? Does everything need to be explained in a wookiepedia entry?? Just let it be a mystery. Aliens does the dumb thing where it tries to explain the xenomorph, and ends up making the xenomorph more boring. First movie = alien is some demonic Lovecraftian unknowable thing from beyond, second movie = alien is dumb space termite

No it doesn't

It just gives us a queen. It just tells us that the monster has a mother and that she's very dangerous, which we could probably already figure out since the aliens come from eggs in the first place. We don't really know much more about the alien or where it comes from after the movie

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

You'd only know that if you watched the director's cut which actually bothers to give Ripley some time off before throwing her to the wolves again

That's in every version of the movie.

Blue Star posted:

Do you think Aliens is better made than Alien? Because i sure as hell think not.

Alien has better cinematography but a bunch of dodgy effects. Also the set design and technology in the film haven't aged nearly as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Andro Dunos posted:

That's in every version of the movie.

Alien has better cinematography but a bunch of dodgy effects. Also the set design and technology in the film haven't aged nearly as well.

Alien still looks great.

Fartbox posted:

No it doesn't

It just gives us a queen. It just tells us that the monster has a mother and that she's very dangerous, which we could probably already figure out since the aliens come from eggs in the first place. We don't really know much more about the alien or where it comes from after the movie

The only crime Aliens commits with the aliens themselves is that it ultimately serves to make them a lot less scary compared to what the alien was in 1. Primarily by there being a lot of them and they are being shot and gunned down all the time. Still an amazing movie to be sure, but I remember when I first watched it something like a year after having seen Alien, which really was the scariest movie I had ever seen, that Aliens ultimately kind of disappointed me because it kidn of burst that bubble of the alien being this ultimate terrifying horror.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think the scene where the marines get slaughtered in the hive is the tensest moment in any Alien film.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the scene where the marines get slaughtered in the hive is the tensest moment in any Alien film.

It even works on secondary viewings, since then you can see Apone move his flashlight over the wall and the Alien is RIGHT THERE, but he doesn't see it since it blends in with all the pipework and greeblies.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I kind of agree that Aliens makes the individual alien less of a threat. They still slaughter the space marines but we see several aliens get killed as well and the aliens seem less smart in numbers than alone. Especially in the directors cut with the sentry gun scene, where the aliens kamikaze the sentry guns constantly and die in droves

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fartbox posted:

I kind of agree that Aliens makes the individual alien less of a threat. They still slaughter the space marines but we see several aliens get killed as well and the aliens seem less smart in numbers than alone. Especially in the directors cut with the sentry gun scene, where the aliens kamikaze the sentry guns constantly and die in droves

I should add that its still a very tense movie with lots of heart pounding action. But yeah, ultimately it serves to make the individual aliens much less of a threat. As Jay says in their commentary in Aliens they are "jumping around in full view, getting shot at endlessly" and then how this both make the aliens seem much less threatening and it makes it much more obvious that really its just guys in suits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe they explained it away behind the scenes that the warrior aliens from Aliens were dumber and had no fear of throwing themselves into suicide situations, whereas the drone alien from Alien was a smarter, more calculating breed that took it's time to take people out in secret.

Even if you look at it like insects, ants won't hesitate to throw themselves with abandon at a superior insect, if they have numbers on their side. A lone ant though won't go in for a kill unless it knows it can pull it off by itself and has the element of surprise on its side.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 24, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

That's the theory i've heard over the years

The alien in the first movie had no queen or other aliens around so self preservation was super important to it. In Aliens there's a queen directing the aliens and the priority is no longer self preservation for the drone, but for the queen. So all they care about is killing the intruders. They're not dumber, they just do not give any fucks

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lots of colony insects have different behaviors when in groups vs. when alone.

But it don't matter, really. The Aliens in Aliens had overcome the armed colonists and were probably working from the notion that guns weren't really capable of stopping them with enough numbers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean you can throw out such theories as much as you want, but ultimately it comes down to Alien being a horror movie and Aliens being an action movie.

e: Anyone here who saw Aliens before Alien? I'm just wondering what that's like, specifically concerning the experience of watching Alien.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 24, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I mean you can throw out such theories as much as you want, but ultimately it comes down to Alien being a horror movie and Aliens being an action movie.

Aliens and Predator are part of that vanishingly small genre of good action/horror.

Randarkman posted:

e: Anyone here who saw Aliens before Alien? I'm just wondering what that's like, specifically concerning the experience of watching Alien.

Me. I was pretty young though, and I don't really remember what my takeaway was, save that I liked Aliens a bit more. That hasn't really changed after viewing both movies recently, but good lord do both films do a really good job of establishing their characters and the situation they're in.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 24, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

As a kid, I found Aliens pretty drat scary

I mean ye, it's an action movie, but not really like any action movies you see today. It has a lot of horror elements as well

It does not have The Rock winking at the camera and then blowing up a truck or whatever

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fartbox posted:

As a kid, I found Aliens pretty drat scary

I mean ye, it's an action movie, but not really like any action movies you see today. It has a lot of horror elements as well

It does not have The Rock winking at the camera and then blowing up a truck or whatever

Oh it definitely has strong horror elements and is a pretty scary movie in its own right. But ultimately its an action movie, while Alien is a pretty clear cut horror movie.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fartbox posted:

That's the theory i've heard over the years

The alien in the first movie had no queen or other aliens around so self preservation was super important to it. In Aliens there's a queen directing the aliens and the priority is no longer self preservation for the drone, but for the queen. So all they care about is killing the intruders. They're not dumber, they just do not give any fucks

This is pretty much how I always figured it. The aliens aren't presented as having individuality as such, so when there's a lot of them there's no reason for the drones to care about self preservation. When it's only one drone it goes into "play it safe and try to start up a hive" mode, when it's a shitload of them with a queen they do whatever the hell the queen needs them to.

Sure it makes them individually less threatening in Aliens, but trying to make an individual alien a convincing threat to heavily armed soldiers with motion trackers probably wouldn't work all that well.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once the Xenos get close all that armour, tech and guns mean jack poo poo which is part of the horror theme. All this gear and your best option is to run and if they catch you hope they kill you or you kill yourself.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

How do people tell all the Marvel movies apart? Apart from the few that actually do something different(namely GotG), they're just a blur of generic mild entertainment to me.

Iron Man 2 is the one with like a 100 iron man suits right? Winter Soldier is the russian guy with a robot arm and he fights Captain America in like a dam or some russian military jail? Or was that the one with the giant illuminati airships? Was it the second or third Avengers that has a robot guy lifting a city into the sky? If I don't look it up it's all just CGI costume man punches CGI robot/monster.

you might have alzheimer's

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robo Reagan posted:

you might have alzheimer's

Nice name and post combo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thinking about I think Jay really hits the nail on the head when he describes the dissolution of the alien's scariness with how its shot and how they seem to move in Aliens. In Alien they took a great deal of care to shoot and light the thing so as to try to hide the fact that really it's just a guy in a suit, enough to allow you to suspend your disbelief. In Aliens this was just not that feasible as the movie requires multiple aliens to be in the same shots in motion and in combat (meaning they get shot at) which would make it really hard to apply the Alien treatment to each and everyone all the time. The alien loses some of its terrifying otherness really.

Also, who was it that first began to (consistently) call the aliens xenomorphs? I know its from Aliens. However its only said once in the movie, before they land on the planet, by the lieutenant if I recall (one of the marines might have repeated it back). Neither he nor the others have encountered the alien before and the way it is used really just seems like this is kind of a generic term for an alien or unknown creature (xenomorph I think literally just means something like "(of) unknown/strange/foreign form").

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I never quite got that either, as they all seemed to be talking interchangeably that this was the first "alien being" ever encountered, but that they've also dealt with other "things" before.

Maybe the "bug hunt" they all went on was as a fumigation crew for the the lice on Fiorina 161.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Xenomorph is a generic term for extraterrestrial life form. By the time Ripley wakes up 57 years after Alien, humans have evidently encountered other alien life, but nothing so menacing like the alien. That's why they talk about bug hunts and blow off Ripley's warnings.

Remember that the marines even had sex with Arcturians. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEnoLnq8OZg

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Randarkman posted:

I saw Aliens first. And it didn't really take away from Alien save I knew what a xenomorph looked like. I also Covenant and can't get over how dumb everyone was or how evil Fassbender was for like no reason. Even after all these years I still get kinda nervous watching Alien, whereas I could sit through any of the sequals (except Aliens) and just feel bored more than any kind of fear. Is this why 3/Prometheus/Covenant suck? Because I feel nothing while watching them?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The name is perfect because the word essentially means a strange or unusual form. The alien was supposed to be truly alien by having a strange but threatening appearance that's hard to analyze. But it's all after the fact that we go "smart but highly instinctive bugs."

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I thought Arcturians were just weird humans from a colony near Arcturus and he meant it was like loving Thai ladyboys.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Somewhere in the Arcturus system there's a planet full of promiscuous people?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i finally watched the end of the newest botw and i laughed and farted a lot (that might've been because of how hungover i was)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Who was it that said Alien's sets don't hold up? Movie is fantastically beautiful still especially with the rays of blue treatment. Aliens isn't nearly as 'crisp'

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

t2 isn't even the same genre as the first movie.

T1 is a sci-fi horror movie about a robot sent from the future to kill a woman

T2 is a sci-fi action movie about a robot sent from the future to kill a woman and her kid

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Who was it that said Alien's sets don't hold up? Movie is fantastically beautiful still especially with the rays of blue treatment. Aliens isn't nearly as 'crisp'

The Nostromo sets are great, except for the computer room.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blue Star posted:

do we need to know what it is? Does everything need to be explained in a wookiepedia entry?? Just let it be a mystery. Aliens does the dumb thing where it tries to explain the xenomorph, and ends up making the xenomorph more boring. First movie = alien is some demonic Lovecraftian unknowable thing from beyond, second movie = alien is dumb space termite

i always assumed they were a creature that naturally existed and the space jockey picked them up since it was a cool mirror to the hubris of the company.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

a bone to pick posted:

Ah you mean the American guy trying to sound Australian and the Australian guy trying to sound American?

Yeah, not the best casting choice.

Aren't they both English?

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

Junkfist posted:

I thought Arcturians were just weird humans from a colony near Arcturus and he meant it was like loving Thai ladyboys.

An entire planet of tumblr posters and Caitlyn Jenners?

My god.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfWs0TmiQ4

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlao2KNYjQ

Sefiros posted:

Aren't they both English?

According to imdb one of them is English and one of them is Canadian, I was a bit off

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Can you take it away again?

• Locked thread