Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

Is this as bad as it looks to me? Like this looks even worse to me than the Israel Intel thing. He basically just also told North Korea that we just parked nuclear weapons close by them. I don't know how much of a secret it was though. In any case he was clearly bragging to duterte to impress him exactly like he did with the Russians and for the same reason.

One of the two subs in the article is mentioned, the USS Michigan. The Michigan got converted to an SSGN, where the SLBMs were replaced by cruise missile packages. Two of the missile tubes are additionally used for the insertion of special forces (they're chambers so they can enter/exit underwater with equipment)

The other one, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

empty whippet box posted:

Is this as bad as it looks to me? Like this looks even worse to me than the Israel Intel thing. He basically just also told North Korea that we just parked nuclear weapons close by them. I don't know how much of a secret it was though. In any case he was clearly bragging to duterte to impress him exactly like he did with the Russians and for the same reason.

Ehhhh

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/24/politics/uss-michigan-nuclear-sub-south-korea/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Donnies eager lose lips is about to make sure two subs are never heard from again. And their potential functional American BoomBooms get taken by NK.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blitz7x posted:

Dress for the job you want, right Melania?
:iceburn:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Dress for the Job you want

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azathoth posted:

DeVos wants all education to be private and gently caress you if you don't make enough to send your kids to a "good" school (or even any school). It's totally worth it to put the screws to those fat-cat unionized teachers.

to be fair, the end goal of this is not to break up teachers unions

the end goal of this is to reintroduce religious education and indoctrination into american schools

devos is a christian dominionist

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Donnies eager lose lips is about to make sure two subs are never heard from again. And their potential functional American BoomBooms get taken by NK.
Heh, "Loose lips". Are you implying Colbert was actually right? :mmmsmug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

boner confessor posted:

the end goal of this is to reintroduce religious education and indoctrination into american schools

To be fair, I don't think she'd be upset if Republicans got their way and just completely abolished the concept of free public education.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The problem with a lot of those religious schools is it leaves students unprepared for college in many ways.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

The end goal is to funnel money to her rich cronies, she doesn't give a gently caress about Jesus.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chilichimp posted:

Because he allowed himself to be followed to the white house and then had the loving stones to admit what he was doing there.

Don't forget he literally jumped out of a car.

The insanity of all this just cannot be overstated.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

boner confessor posted:

That's fair, at least relative to DeVos, though I do still think some of the support for poo poo like this comes from the union-busting plutocrat arm of the Republicans too. Though I think there's a bunch of overlap between the two groups.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The problem with a lot of those religious schools is it leaves students unprepared for college in many ways.

That's how you cut down on college debt, by making kids too stupid to get into college. No debt to worry about!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Hollismason posted:

School is easy when the answer to every question is Jesus. :cool:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hollismason posted:

I once had a coworker in their 20's who went through that kind of schooling, and every time she was asked something she didn't know she would just say she needs to ask her dad or her pastor.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I had a kid drop into one of my creative writing classes that had exclusively gone through a religious education system, and he could barely interact with people. The sheer volume of baptist-anime sci-fi he submitted to workshop didn't help things, either.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I had a kid drop into one of my creative writing classes that had exclusively gone through a religious education system, and he could barely interact with people. The sheer volume of baptist-anime sci-fi he submitted to workshop didn't help things, either.

please share

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

mcmagic posted:

It's gonna be funny when the GOP holds the House with him at like 26% approval.

This *1000

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i very much want to know what "baptist anime" is

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I went to a private "college prep" religious school. We did not offer AP courses (too small? Poor planning? IDK). Our school was only finally accredited in a rush just as our first seniors prepared to graduate. Our biology course textbook had a chapter about Noah's Flood instead of evolution. Instead of electives, we had a mandatory Bible class. I was nowhere near as prepared for college as my peers who went to regular public schools. Religious schools are a blight.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I was about to say...

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Cimber posted:

where is the drat CBO report.....

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/867413308864909313

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Best part of these late afternoon releases is it forces all the ghouls at the whitehouse to work basically 12-18 hour days.

Rince wants them there at like 5 am to watch the morning shows and set the agenda for the day, and now they know they have to put out fires late at night.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sloober posted:

please share

It's been a couple of years since I took the class, but I distinctly remember a story that featured a bunch of ninjas in a dystopian society that had "turned its back on Christ" using the power of faith to supercharge their katanas. Also, a female classmate specifically called the author out in workshop for the fact that every female character either appeared nude, as a slave, or as a nude slave.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fart City posted:

It's been a couple of years since I took the class, but I distinctly remember a story that featured a bunch of ninjas in a dystopian society that had "turned its back on Christ" using the power of faith to supercharge their katanas. Also, a female classmate specifically called the author out in workshop for the fact that every female character either appeared nude, as a slave, or as a nude slave.

this kid owns, and i want to read the story about the jesus katanas and hot naked slaves

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

what does that say? I can't look at twitter while at work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

Please tell me you kept this and have it in digital format.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

what does that say? I can't look at twitter while at work.

CBO getting into the "happy hour surprise"? The AHCA score not coming till "late afternoon".....

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

superbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOzWF6drrqw

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I went to a private "college prep" religious school. We did not offer AP courses (too small? Poor planning? IDK). Our school was only finally accredited in a rush just as our first seniors prepared to graduate. Our biology course textbook had a chapter about Noah's Flood instead of evolution. Instead of electives, we had a mandatory Bible class. I was nowhere near as prepared for college as my peers who went to regular public schools. Religious schools are a blight.

Hollismason posted:

Anyone got a link to my thread on Accelerated Christian Education? It seems very appropriate to this conversation. (Hell, would it be worthwhile to re-post that thread and touch up the OP a bit?)

Fart City posted:

Fart City posted:

Speaking as someone raised in that environment I feel nothing but empathy for that poor kid. I walked into public high school (the very first time I experienced actual formal education) with folders full of Narnia fanfic :bang:

Edit:

Mahoning posted:

The problem is that its not actual chili. Skyline Chili is chili in the same way that ketchup is tomato sauce.

There is a genuinely good dish to be had here once you replace the skylin chili with some actual chili. A layer of spaghetti noodles, layer of proper chili, and a layer of ever-so-slightly steamed and shredded colby cheese (cheddar is also acceptable but not as good imo) and you have yourself a proper Ohio dinner.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 24, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The religious schools themselves also seem to have a anti-technology stance in some cases. I've encountered a few in my MIS class of all places and it was just incredibly disheartening because this person was not a functional learner.

Also, ZERO critical thinking skills.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Moatman posted:

I mean, the concept of chili on pasta is fine, it's just the execution that fails.

I'm pretty anxious about the Montana special election.

The problem is that its not actual chili. Skyline Chili is chili in the same way that ketchup is tomato sauce.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Please tell me you kept this and have it in digital format.

Man I wish. It's been my go-to example for bonkers-rear end workshop nonsense ever since. The class we had together was built around us writing 2-4 short stories. He missed his first deadline because he was "too into it," and ended up only submitting the one story over the course of the semester, broken up into smaller "books."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Anyone got a link to my thread on Accelerated Christian Education? It seems very appropriate to this conversation. (Hell, would it be worthwhile to re-post that thread and touch up the OP a bit?)

Honestly I've always been able to relate to your anecdotes. The cult vibes were very strong in that school, without being quite so centralized -- everyone still went to their own different church at the end of the week.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
God dammit this is why you read the thread:

Fart City posted:

:allears: :allears: :allears: :allears: :allears:

Please!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hollismason posted:

Also, ZERO critical thinking skills.

That's not a bug, that's a feature.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I really didn't expect to encounter the phrase "baptist-anime sci-fi" today, and in the Trump thread of all places.

ed: no search results for that phrase. Congrats!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zero_Grade posted:

I really didn't expect to encounter the phrase "baptist-anime sci-fi" today, and in the Trump thread of all places.

ed: no search results for that phrase. Congrats!
But you secretly wished for it. Deep in your heart you know it's true.

Also, why haven't we gotten any Trump tweets? Has he been especially bland recently? Or do they all look blatantly written by a staff guy?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

The 7th book of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure involves the main characters finding Jesus and using the power of Christ to solve their conflicts.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wark Say posted:

But you secretly wished for it. Deep in your heart you know it's true.

Also, why haven't we gotten any Trump tweets? Has he been especially bland recently? Or do they all look blatantly written by a staff guy?

Maybe he can't get internet while he's travelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but it's worth pointing out that he almost immediately began looking into candidates for special counsel.

I've just been assuming that he figured that if Trump was going to fire Comey regardless that it'd be better for him to oblige so as to allow him the time to make that appointment.

• Locked thread