Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

2 year old article innit
She was warned that cutting the police force would leave the UK vulnerable to a terrorist attack but she did it anyway and accused those warning her of "crying wolf". I think that may have taken on new relevance in the light of recent events, particularly since the army are having to step in to pick up the slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Fair point

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

namesake posted:

I highly highly recommend everyone listen to the end of todays Radio 4s PM, it's a ten minute with a guy living in Manchester who's part of the Libyan community and he basically spends the whole time saying how our hosed up foreign policy is to blame for a lot of the radicalisation that takes place. In fact here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qxfnn Starts about 47:30.

No amount of foreign policy justifies blowing up little girls at a pop concert.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

She was warned that cutting the police force would leave the UK vulnerable to a terrorist attack but she did it anyway and accused those warning her of "crying wolf". I think that may have taken on new relevance in the light of recent events, particularly since the army are having to step in to pick up the slack.

Someone was saying to me a few months ago (I've no idea of the veracity, this was literally a bloke in a pub) that for the first time since it was established there's no waiting list to get into Hendon - if you fancy joining the Met then you could be out on the street in less time than it takes to get a sofa delivered.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

No-one says it justifies it, but it does explain and cause it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

namesake posted:

I highly highly recommend everyone listen to the end of todays Radio 4s PM, it's a ten minute with a guy living in Manchester who's part of the Libyan community and he basically spends the whole time saying how our hosed up foreign policy is to blame for a lot of the radicalisation that takes place. In fact here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qxfnn Starts about 47:30.
It's always struck me as inexplicably weird how reluctant some people are to join the dots on foreign policy and domestic Islamic terrorism. There aren't even that many dots.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 24, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

I heard this, it was amazing and you could tell the interviewer was looking to pigeonhole a random Libyan and was totally unprepared for a well-reasoned argument.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

big scary monsters posted:

Never mind yer tepid aristocracy, the best tea comes from the famous plantations of Yorkshire. Taylor's of Harrogate do some quite nice coffee too, and you can get it whole bean in the supermarket.

I went to school with a boy who claimed to be part of the Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate dynasty and that when his grandad died he would be minted, and no one believed him because he was full of it 99% of the time. Then he held a revision group at his house and it was a massive gently caress off mansion, and it turned out that everything he had been saying over the past 5 years was true. We all felt like complete dickheads.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Jose posted:

i don't drink tea or coffee

dirty dirty bastard

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hold on maybe he prefers bovril

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Zephro posted:

It's always struck me as inexplicably weird how reluctant some people are to join the dots on foreign policy and domestic Islamic terrorism. There aren't even that many dots.

sassassin posted:

It's not that inexplicable, really. People think "gently caress explaining this atrocity, it's not justifiable in any way so I'm not going to hear anything about 'causes'"
Which is an understandable viewpoint, but also very naive. Complex geopolitical issues are at the root of stuff like this, whether you like it or not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bizarrely, people don't want to feel responsible for the consequences of their choices

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Bizarrely, people don't want to feel responsible for the consequences of their choices

Which is odd because it's not really their choice, it's the government's choice.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Have the increased security forces presence in the aftermath of an attack ever stopped an attack?

It's not like they could do anything against an actual terrorist anyway, given the their tactics. I guess it reassures the public or some poo poo.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
What on earth is going on with the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/24/world/europe/manchester-arena-bomb-materials-photos.html?_r=2

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Which is odd because it's not really their choice, it's the government's choice.

Ah, but who does the voting?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Have the increased security forces presence in the aftermath of an attack ever stopped an attack?

It's not like they could do anything against an actual terrorist anyway, given the their tactics. I guess it reassures the public or some poo poo.

Partially reassurance, partially them doing mass arrests on anyone they have on the terror books.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

gently caress off nazi.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Namtab posted:

Less than half the voters, which is significantly less than half the population.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

sassassin posted:

Explanations are not excuses. Understanding is not justification.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Probably very few with sufficient information for it to count.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

US officials leak more Manchester details hours after UK rebuke

quote:

Steady drip of details, which prompted censure from home secretary Amber Rudd, is hampering investigation into attack

US officials disclosed fresh details of the investigation into the Manchester bombing to journalists within hours of Amber Rudd warning them to stop the leaking.

The steady drip of details from the US – as well as from France – is hampering the investigation by British police, who are trying to control the release of information for operational reasons.

The home secretary reflected the frustration and dismay of the UK security services in a series of interviews on Wednesday morning. She described the leaks as “irritating” and said she had made it clear to the US that it should not happen again.

However, within hours, American reporter Richard Engel of NBC tweeted details not released by the UK. Engel said US intelligence officers told him family members of the the killer, Salman Abedi, had warned UK security officials about him and had described him as dangerous.

Engel also reported that US intelligence officials said Abedi had a bank card in his pocket showing his name, and his identity had been confirmed by facial recognition. He added that Abedi probably had help in making a “big and sophisticated bomb”.

The Americans are apparently going full retard.

E: And now nytimes have released details/pictures of the bomb and victim locations

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 24, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Going?

Also we don't use the end word here.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheRat posted:

The Americans are apparently going full retard.

Maybe these intelligence leaks from the WH will distract the press from the scandals caused by the non stop intelligence leaks from the WH

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Namtab posted:

Also we don't use the end word here.

Not even to describe american media? (Sorry, won't do it again)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The US security services hate the current president and have been happily leaking to journalists pretty much whatever they want to know.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TheRat posted:

Not even to describe american media? (Sorry, won't do it again)

It's fine, I'm just a very pedantic ld nurse.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

"Man I sure hope the internet left wing thread doesn't use the nasty word"
*people with ld continue dying prematurely of manageable conditions*

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Last time the only thing they managed to stop was a Brazilian plumber's brain function. With bullets.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

The US security services hate the current president and have been happily leaking to journalists pretty much whatever they want to know.

This is a much older problem, dating back to at least the Bush years, of both DHS and FBI being willing to hand over info to the press based on the rules they follow rather than the rules (or wishes) of the providing country. The fact that this sort of coverage helps them justify their own budgets ("Look at the sophistication of these devices! We definitely need more money and toys to keep up with this sort of thing") as well as keeping them cosy with the papers when they need their help is, I'm sure, immaterial.

(FWIW this is stuff shared with Interpol and other international policing organisations rather than stuff shared via intelligence agreements like Five Eyes)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Christ. At this point can you seriously justify sharing information with the Yanks? I mean if they are leaking poo poo that's going to hamper the investigation because they hate their Commander-In-Chief back across the pond, that's pretty hosed. But then I suppose everything related to the security services is hosed to varying degrees.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

forkboy84 posted:

Christ. At this point can you seriously justify sharing information with the Yanks? I mean if they are leaking poo poo that's going to hamper the investigation because they hate their Commander-In-Chief back across the pond, that's pretty hosed. But then I suppose everything related to the security services is hosed to varying degrees.

Well the Commander in Chief keeps leaking important intelligence himself and has kind of pissed off... what was it, Israel? By compromising one of their sources in doing so.

It seems it's just the standard at this point from top to bottom.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

The worst ones were actual Trump supporting GBS posters who were posting here for lols. I've no doubt one of them said "lol i bet UKMT, who are all muslim converts, are saying this is a good thing. Lets get them boys!" or words to that effect. More racism and weird compound insults. Hence the people going off half cocked about politics they know nothing about and claiming we want to gulag everyone and love East Germany.

'member when an UKMT regular suggested that the video of a nail being pulled out of a girl's foot wasn't evidence(along with all the rest) of a terrorist bombing because it was possible someone had just stepped on a nail that had been lying around?

Or when somebody unironically suggested that this was a false flag by British intelligence to stop are Jezza?

Just to be clear, are there any 'balloon popping truthers' left or has the thread come to a consensus?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

'member when an UKMT regular suggested that the video of a nail being pulled out of a girl's foot wasn't evidence(along with all the rest) of a terrorist bombing because it was possible someone had just stepped on a nail that had been lying around?
No?

The Insect Court posted:

Or when somebody unironically suggested that this was a false flag by British intelligence to stop are Jezza?
No?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Insect Court posted:

Just to be clear, are there any 'balloon popping truthers' left or has the thread come to a consensus?

Remember that time you apologised for genocide?

gently caress off already.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Namtab posted:

"Man I sure hope the internet left wing thread doesn't use the nasty word"
*people with ld continue dying prematurely of manageable conditions*

Teacher starve your child, P.C. approved
As long as the right words are used
Systemised atrocity ignored
As long as bi-lingual signs on view

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It might be an extremist view, but heck I'll share it, I think blowing up children is an act that isn't defensible regardless of what your Al Qaida connected father tells you.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Insect Court posted:

Remember that time you said you have a big butt and your butt smells and you like to smell your own butt?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The Insect Court posted:

the thread come to a consensus?

yeah, you should gently caress off and follow your leader

just don't murder a dog first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm setting lots of people connecting budget cuts to soldiers on the street, so that's something vaguely positive I guess.

• Locked thread