Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Is there any chance that the insurance company looks at the transcript of the Bar hearing, sees Jimmy got a bad shake, and jacks up his rates by something less than 150%?

It doesn’t have to be a good chance. Jimmy would throw Chuck under the bus for a 0.01% chance.

If it's anything close to real life then the insurance company won't give a poo poo unless the supreme court comes and tells them they can't raise his rates 150% for a probation regardless of the situation leading up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Is there any chance that the insurance company looks at the transcript of the Bar hearing, sees Jimmy got a bad shake, and jacks up his rates by something less than 150%?

It doesn’t have to be a good chance. Jimmy would throw Chuck under the bus for a 0.01% chance.

We got an insurance virgin here!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Theoretically insurance companies do attempt to make good estimates of the actual risk their clients pose.

And then put the price as high as the market will bear.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If I worked in insurance I wouldn't touch Jimmy with a 10 foot pole

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I loved how Jimmy stole the community service guy's "I could make it 0" line and used it on the delivery boy.

And later, he gets darkly angry at another guy who's a dick to a minimum wage food service worker who lives on tips :aaa:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

And later, he gets darkly angry at another guy who's a dick to a minimum wage food service worker who lives on tips :aaa:

The lack of a tip is when Jimmy broke bad

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That scene with Mike and the lady and the broom :lol:. I was thinking to myself "come on mike don't be a poster child for racist minsogynst grandpa" but it was just a fake out.

Also as much as I like the storylines about Mike and Gus and the whole drug side of the story I don't really understand why it's there in the first place. It has nothing to do with Saul. They should just rename the show at this point is all I'm saying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's there because it's part of the world that leads into Breaking Bad, and it is all interwoven together.

I listened to this week's podcast. While I was playing Tetris while listening to it, they didn't seem to talk about the episode much. There was a bit about the squatcobbler guy and then a bit about the pills but it was mostly about casting in general.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I just found out from a friend that PLAYUH is K-Strass, the notorious Yo Yo guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBzWHudBoiA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9TLftki5U

He fits the show better than I realized.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.
One thing I hadn't noticed, and now can't unsee, is that Esposito has distinctive grey hairs at the side of his head in BCS, but in Breaking Bad he doesn't. It seems like a pretty big continuity error when the other characters have had wigs or presumably hair dyed.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES
Yeah I can't believe they skipped on spending a little change for de-aging software, or at the very least, three hour make-up sessions on Esposito to hide the fact he looks like an old geezer on this prequel show.

Not my Better Call Saul :rolleyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gus starts dying his hair between BCS and BB.

You’re welcome.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Mr. Sloth posted:

Yeah I can't believe they skipped on spending a little change for de-aging software, or at the very least, three hour make-up sessions on Esposito to hide the fact he looks like an old geezer on this prequel show.

Not my Better Call Saul :rolleyes:
Yeah because dyeing hair takes 3 hours. Maybe they could've done it when they were doing the other actors that they did do it for, like Hector for example.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Call me callous but I'm on team Jimmy. Chuck? gently caress that guy. Not posting to be contrarian, either. Just shows that different people can have different takeaways.

Put me on team Jimmy as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry guys Chuck owns. He might be a smug rear end in a top hat but he's technically 100% correct, which is the best kind of correct.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Film crew owns

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
What if everyones a shithead except for maybe Kim?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Dear Kim

I love you please marry me

Sincerely,
Future Mr. Wexler

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry guys Chuck owns. He might be a smug rear end in a top hat but he's technically 100% correct, which is the best kind of correct.

I've said it before, but this is really why this show is so good. When you can argue from the point of view of literally any character means that the writers have done a drat fine job.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fact that he's even correct about Jimmy stealing from their dad's till is what gets me. To any outside observer it sounds like such a petty, ancient, baseless accusation but he's absolutely right. Seeing as Chuck got through law school and had a decades-long career before the crazy happened, their dad must have been a pretty decent parent other than the money issues. Chuck probably holds him in high esteem, of course he still begrudges Jimmy for that.

Also makes me wonder if some of Chuck's haughtiness is a reaction to his dad's being a schmuck. I can easily see him watching what Jimmy watched in the flashback and developing into the kind of person that thinks every hobo is a scammer or is going to turn around and spend that quarter on booze and drugs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They missed their chance for Chuck or Howard or someone to have a high school aged kid, one who gets a little suspicious of his bumbling chemistry teacher hmmm

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

They missed their chance for Chuck or Howard or someone to have a high school aged kid, one who gets a little suspicious of his bumbling chemistry teacher hmmm

It should have been that kid that takes his car to Walter's car wash, I don't care how old the actor is, he should have been in this show.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also makes me wonder if some of Chuck's haughtiness is a reaction to his dad's being a schmuck. I can easily see him watching what Jimmy watched in the flashback and developing into the kind of person that thinks every hobo is a scammer or is going to turn around and spend that quarter on booze and drugs.

You can think every hobo is a scammer who is going to spend that quarter on booze and drugs but there's a huge difference between not wanting to help someone hurt themselves and being a judgemental dick. gently caress Chuck

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

For Mike's thing, I can definitely see him wanting to stay out of things, and I can see him wanting to keep Nacho or Playuh from making bad decisions, but I'm not sure how what's-her-name's story flipped him from one to the other.

snoremac posted:

Maybe I'm just trained by TV shows to think a bit player's anecdote is designed to motivate a character, but I have no idea how the hiking lady's story convinced Mike to help that guy with Nacho.

Mike met her, and they had a nice connection.
Mike was visited by Playuh, who told him that Nacho was in the market for empty nitro capsules.
Mike immediately cottoned on that Nacho will use them to hit Hector.
Mike, not wanting to deal with Playuh and having been dissuaded from anti-Hector action by Gus, washes his hands of the matter.
Mike goes to the support group, learns that her husband died mysteriously and she has carried that burden for nearly a decade of intense suffering.
Putting a human face to the pain renews and intensifies Mike's animus towards Hector for the murder of the good samaritan (and, to a lesser extent, the driver of the truck)
Mike decides that he wants Hector dead again, after all.
If it's gonna happen, he's gonna make sure Nacho does it right.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maskenfreiheit posted:

So did Jimmy go in with the intention of loving Chuck, or do you think he decided in the moment?

The more I think the more I wonder if it was planned... he went in without the policy number, and only gave his last name. And he mentioned the transcripts - which are public records.

We've established that many people (Ex: Paige)are talking - it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that word about the transcript made it to the insurance firm w/o Jimmy's help... Jimmy just gave them a little push.

I'm thinking his entire refund attempt was a long con. He knew drat well he wasn't getting that refund he just needed an excuse to get in the room and have the breakdown.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
What I want to know is on a show called Breaking Bad, who the gently caress is this Walter White guy and why should I care about him more than Breaking Bad, our lovable scamp protagonist?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Maybe that lady's husband disappeared using Ed the disappearer guy and this is how we'll be introduced to him!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

vermin posted:

Maybe that lady's husband disappeared using Ed the disappearer guy and this is how we'll be introduced to him!

Maybe the lady's husband

was the disappearer :aaaaa:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

Mike was visited by Playuh, who told him that Nacho was in the market for empty nitro capsules.
Mike, not wanting to deal with Playuh and having been dissuaded from anti-Hector action by Gus, washes his hands of the matter.
Mike goes to the support group, learns that her husband died mysteriously and she has carried that burden for nearly a decade of intense suffering.
Putting a human face to the pain renews and intensifies Mike's animus towards Hector for the murder of the good samaritan (and, to a lesser extent, the driver of the truck)

I don't see how this ends up with Mike and Gus getting along, though, since Gus explicitly told Mike not to kill Hector and he presumably knows everything that happens in Albuquerque.

Obviously Hector doesn't die and is instead crippled, which as far as Gus is concerned is maybe the perfect outcome, but that can't be intentional. Mike isn't Walt, who might know what secret poison to put in the capsules to have that effect. Gus will know that Mike and Nacho tried to kill Hector despite his orders.

Maybe Mike manages to hide his involvement because he's extraordinarily cautious, but I think Nacho is gonna get box-cutter'd.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The fact that he's even correct about Jimmy stealing from their dad's till is what gets me.

Eh. Chuck attribute the business's failure and the father's death to Jimmy. His father had a reputation for being an easy mark and was routinely targeted. I'd be surprised if Jimmy were a real factor in what he's blamed for.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
How could Gus know Nacho hates Hector? There isn't much interaction between the two except at Pollos Hermanos.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yeah, Mike's the only one who knows that Nacho isn't on board with Hector. And as far as Gus is concerned, Mike checked Nacho's gas cap for a tracker and didn't find one, so presumably he feels like he can help make this happen with no blowback

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Eh. Chuck attribute the business's failure and the father's death to Jimmy. His father had a reputation for being an easy mark and was routinely targeted. I'd be surprised if Jimmy were a real factor in what he's blamed for.

Pretty sure his dad would have at least kept track of the money he knowingly gave away. The massive shortfall Chuck discovered was almost certainly entirely due to Jimmy using his father's store as his own personal piggy bank for much of his life. Chuck didn't turn out to be right about Jimmy skimming from the till just by pure coincidence.

In which case, even if Jimmy wasn't the sole cause of the business's failure (he probably wasn't), he certainly exacerbated its decline. In some ways what Jimmy did is worse. He wasn't stealing from a business that could afford to lose a bunch of money, he was stealing from a business that was already struggling to make it. And he probably used it to buy things like nudie mags and drugs and alcohol.

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah this is right and I'm an idiot, I totally blanked on the fact that Mike figured out that Nacho was going to try to kill Hector just based on what Pryce told him when they first meet in the episode.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 24, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Maybe I'm forgetting a scene from an earlier season, but didn't a flashback show that Jimmy wasn't actually stealing from his father's business? The con artist came in with a story about needing money for some made up reason, Jimmy tells his dad he's being scammed, then his dad goes in the back to get the money anyway because he's too good-natured to think anyone would do that to him. While he's back there, the con artist buys some cigarettes or something like that to make it clear he has plenty of money, and Jimmy takes the right amount and puts it in the till like any other legitimate purchase.

I thought the scene meant that Chuck had been falsely accusing Jimmy of stealing, even though it was actually just their father being an easy mark and Chuck respecting him too much to come to that conclusion. Was there something after the con artist gave Jimmy that "There are two types of people in life, sheep and wolves" comment where he actually took some money out for himself?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
He does slip some from the till in the flashback. I think that the implication is that Chuck thinks it was solely Jimmy, but their dad was a gullible mark who was getting fleeced left and right, so Jimmy just got in on it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe Mike manages to hide his involvement because he's extraordinarily cautious, but I think Nacho is gonna get box-cutter'd.

Either way, Jimmy probably ends up involved and this is the incident he's referring to when he says in Breaking Bad "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio!" Especially since the first time he met a Salamanca, he ended up on his knees in the desert with a bag over his head - just like when he met Walt and Jesse formally.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've said it before, but this is really why this show is so good. When you can argue from the point of view of literally any character means that the writers have done a drat fine job.

And now I shalt argue the show on behalf of Hector Salamanca

gently caress THAT loving GUS FRING. THAT'S WHAT. I AM #1, THAT SHOW OFF loving SMUG PRICK. ALL SHOULD FEAR ME BECAUASE I AM A loving SALAMANCA.

But seriously most of the characters have extremely understandable POVs.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

What I want to know is on a show called Breaking Bad, who the gently caress is this Walter White guy and why should I care about him more than Breaking Bad, our lovable scamp protagonist?

I love how people don't trust this show to tie the Mike & Saul plots together with a bow at the end.

Doubly so since Saul knows Gus, and is the guy who pointed White to Gus, meaning they absolutely have to cross paths on a criminal level. My guess is that Saul's need for money will leave him to take a big risk and helping Gus, Nacho and Mike with the Hector plan.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ALFbrot posted:

I think you're more or less correct, though I don't think he immediately figured that out. I'd assume he looked the pills up off camera, THEN figured out what was going on. ("These are nitro pills -> Why would Nacho want nitro pills? -> Looks into his associates) but overall I think that was the reason.

I wouldn't feel bad for missing it though, it took me a long thought to figure out why one lead to the other. All of this makes me wonder why Mike didn't just gun down Todd down after the kid incident given his ethics, though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting a scene from an earlier season, but didn't a flashback show that Jimmy wasn't actually stealing from his father's business? The con artist came in with a story about needing money for some made up reason, Jimmy tells his dad he's being scammed, then his dad goes in the back to get the money anyway because he's too good-natured to think anyone would do that to him. While he's back there, the con artist buys some cigarettes or something like that to make it clear he has plenty of money, and Jimmy takes the right amount and puts it in the till like any other legitimate purchase.

I thought the scene meant that Chuck had been falsely accusing Jimmy of stealing, even though it was actually just their father being an easy mark and Chuck respecting him too much to come to that conclusion. Was there something after the con artist gave Jimmy that "There are two types of people in life, sheep and wolves" comment where he actually took some money out for himself?

He did grab some cash for himself, if im not mistaken, deciding he wouldn't be a "sheep." McGill senior was terrible at running a business and would failed it himself. Jimmy just made things slightly worse and Chuck always blamed him for the whole mess.

• Locked thread