Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

Started Route C last night and :stare:

Aesthetically this game reminds me a lot of MGS4 and uh, yep. YorHa as an army of Beauty & the Beast Corps. I want Yoko Taro to develop MGS6 if Konami ever tries to revive the franchise for actual games.
Oh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I wish you didn't remind me that beauty and the beast corps was a thing. I guess they are a lot of similarities though - both have DARK AND TRAGIC pasts that are mostly elaborated on through overly long text (or dialogue) dumps. It isn't remotely as bad in Automata, thankfully

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Zinkraptor posted:

I wish you didn't remind me that beauty and the beast corps was a thing. I guess they are a lot of similarities though - both have DARK AND TRAGIC pasts that are mostly elaborated on through overly long text (or dialogue) dumps. It isn't remotely as bad in Automata, thankfully

It was the maniacal laughing that made me think of the B&B Corps. And yes, it is a far better presentation in Automata.
Doesn't bother me because I like MGS4.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Should I get the PS4 or PC version of this? I have a fairly new PC that's been able to handle everything I throw at it, and a standard PS4. Is controller support okay on PC?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have it on PC and have had (or not noticed) any of the problems reported on the PC port. I do have the resolution mod though. The controller is fine.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
gently caress the (Late DLC) Shadow Tank. I'm level 99 and I put the difficulty down to easy and the thing still oneshots me. I could hack it... if its hacking games weren't unique and also really hard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Should I get the PS4 or PC version of this? I have a fairly new PC that's been able to handle everything I throw at it, and a standard PS4. Is controller support okay on PC?

PC. Have the FAR mod ready to go and install it before booting the game. If it runs poorly after all that, invoke your right to a Steam refund and go PS4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or just go PS4 where you know it'll work without a bunch of messing around.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i played on a Pro but i had no real issues, sometimes it'd have minor frame drops but was great overall.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly wish I would've just gotten it on PS4. At least Bayonetta runs well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm trying to wrap up sidequests and I seem to be missing one in Chapter 3?

It's a 9S sidequest apparently, and I've already done Heritage of the Past. I've scoured the map and I don't see any more quest markers and I think the next part of the main mission will close out the chapter. Any ideas? Googling has done nothing but produce extremely unhelpful "full sidequest lists" that aren't organized by character or chapter.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The FAR mod makes all the problems go away. Just don't even bother trying to play with a Keyboard/Mouse. A controller is your best buddy.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

gently caress the (Late DLC) Shadow Tank. I'm level 99 and I put the difficulty down to easy and the thing still oneshots me. I could hack it... if its hacking games weren't unique and also really hard.

Yep that challenge is pretty much meant for when you're stocked up on the very best of the best chips

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

The FAR mod makes all the problems go away. Just don't even bother trying to play with a Keyboard/Mouse. A controller is your best buddy.

It definitely does not. :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

S.J. posted:

It definitely does not. :v:

Can you elaborate?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Can you elaborate?

FAR mod did nothing to prevent or change any of the problems I was having with memory problems or stuttering.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Spoilered for kinda cheesy strats:

If playing 9S: Use a weapon like Fang of the Twins that has bullet rupture to keep the bullets cleared (Fang of the Twins also has Critical+, so it's good for damage). Stay sorta close to prevent it from using the ram attack since it can be hard to accurately dodge. Circle strafe while throwing the sword at it (optionally taunt to speed this up). The M Shield pod program may be helpful as a layer of insurance. Once you get it low enough health to spawn the spider-walker enemies, switch to a chipset with enough Stun chips to hit its cap and hack those (they're way easier) and pretty much everything on the field will get stunlocked and take damage with each hack. The tank will probably die before you finish off all the spiders. You'll get the neon dyes for beating the tank, but there's still plenty more waves afterwards and this strategy will not work on the next boss because there's no cannon fodder with it.

A2 doesn't really have a way to cheese the fight, you just use berserk and taunt to kill it before it can do much, which applies to the entire arena (or anything A2 fights that isn't Hegel). It can work even with low level taunt chips and a medium level offensive heal (at least as far as the tank is concerned - later boss waves have far more health). Berserk lets you tank a hit by the way, although you'll limp for a bit afterwards which means it's likely you'll die anyway (but not guaranteed!).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Speaking of performance, I have had no freezing problems but just the past couple of nights the game has been locking up unexpectedly. Is this a thing or am I just unlucky? It just happened in the goddamn loving tower in playthrough C in the flooded city where you have to hack everything. I spent the past 45 minutes doing these dumb hack mini games and I was just finishing up the last one and the game froze so now I get to do this awful segment again. I'm about ready to be done with this game...looking forward to beating it soon so I don't have to deal with it anymore

Edit: Oh great, I didn't save since before the first tower so I have to do all of that again too which means that I am not even at the second part of 9S playthrough and I lost the last quest I did before that too. Why is there no auto save again? Just to frustrate people when the game fucks up and you lose your progress? Last night it froze just as I was leaving a spot from 30 minutes of grinding, right as I was about to bring up the menu. So I basically have lost a night of playtime with those things combined and at this part of the game it is really not fun doing this poo poo twice.

rio fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 24, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I'm trying to wrap up sidequests and I seem to be missing one in Chapter 3?

It's a 9S sidequest apparently, and I've already done Heritage of the Past. I've scoured the map and I don't see any more quest markers and I think the next part of the main mission will close out the chapter. Any ideas? Googling has done nothing but produce extremely unhelpful "full sidequest lists" that aren't organized by character or chapter.
You need to upgrade all the weapons to full and fight the superboss

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Look Sir Droids posted:

Started Route C last night and :stare:

Aesthetically this game reminds me a lot of MGS4 and uh, yep. YorHa as an army of Beauty & the Beast Corps. I want Yoko Taro to develop MGS6 if Konami ever tries to revive the franchise for actual games.

I just finished ending A and hell, long yells about "BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" had me thinking the same thing.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I recently learned about the easter egg for hacking Final Boss A2 four times and I'm absolutely baffled as to why they didn't give that fight scripted amounts of hacking damage so you couldn't easily miss it by being overleveled from doing sidequests, because that poo poo is THE COOLEST.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Morbi posted:

I recently learned about the easter egg for hacking Final Boss A2 four times and I'm absolutely baffled as to why they didn't give that fight scripted amounts of hacking damage so you couldn't easily miss it by being overleveled from doing sidequests, because that poo poo is THE COOLEST.

Yeah, it's amazing.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Hell they should've just disabled melee for that fight for some story excuse IIRC getting the fourth hack automatically ends the fight too even if she has health left so just having it at scripted 25% damage each wouldn't make it any worse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone else really like using the level 4 iron pipe with a bunch of critical+ chips installed?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Does anyone else really like using the level 4 iron pipe with a bunch of critical+ chips installed?

No, but I do like using the level 4 cypress stick with a bunch of critical+ chips.

Mostly just for the visual changes, though. I don't think I used anything else for all of route B.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, does the Jean-Paul side quest change if you do it whilst playing as 9S?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I feel like some dialogue might change. I finished Father Servo as 9S and the first thing he says is "ABOUT GODDAMN TIME! :argh:" I've been wrapping up the sidequests I missed as 2B and 9S has some pretty serious anger issues.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 24, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sidequest dialogue doesn't change.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The real question is Does that dickhead Sartre die in when the village is attacked in Route C if you don't do his quest?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Don't know that myself, but it did remind me that the shut-in machine manages to survive, you can tell because there's a targeting reticle when you're near his house. :3:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Don't know that myself, but it did remind me that the shut-in machine manages to survive, you can tell because there's a targeting reticle when you're near his house. :3:
Oh.
So that's what that explosion was!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmm, is this right?

Probable friendly machine survivors:

Pascal (optional)
The Engels unit that helped fight for Pascal
Jean-Paul (optional)
Desert Jean-Paul fangirl
Forest blacksmith
Back alley amusement park machine
Animal loving machine

(I'm basing this around them either clearly being around and alive up to the endgame, or if they've disappeared, being located away from areas full of machines that went crazy)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Regarding all of the above, I was buying dead children cores and robot friend parts and then accidentally attacked pascal. He died in one hit - I reloaded because I didn't mean to kill him but does he respawn and still show up in the ending of that happens or does it basically turn out like if you chose to kill him when given the dialogue choice in the factory?

Also, I thought this was pretty lame - I went through all of that on A2 and then when 9S went to the village he didn't act surprised or anything that Pascal was lobotomized. I was hoping for a heartbreaking realization that Pascal was mentally gone, or maybe that 9S had turned on Pascal since he now wants to kill all robots.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

rio posted:

Regarding all of the above, I was buying dead children cores and robot friend parts and then accidentally attacked pascal. He died in one hit - I reloaded because I didn't mean to kill him but does he respawn and still show up in the ending of that happens or does it basically turn out like if you chose to kill him when given the dialogue choice in the factory?

Also, I thought this was pretty lame - I went through all of that on A2 and then when 9S went to the village he didn't act surprised or anything that Pascal was lobotomized. I was hoping for a heartbreaking realization that Pascal was mentally gone, or maybe that 9S had turned on Pascal since he now wants to kill all robots.

I think the understated payoff was intentional. We're all amped up to see what happened to Pascal and aren't entirely sure whether 9S' section is before or after A2's section.

Machine Village is destroyed, but Pascal is still alive? Cool. Oh, he doesn't remember anything and is selling off machine parts? Not cool.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Hmm, is this right?

Pascal (optional)
Jean-Paul (optional)
Desert Jean-Paul fangirl
Forest blacksmith
Animal loving machine

(I'm basing this around them either clearly being around and alive up to the endgame, or if they've disappeared, being located away from areas full of machines that went crazy)

Machine on a Break is a drat hero

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Machine on a Break really should have its own side story DLC. All you do is stand around in that alley and do nothing while all your machine friends turn into machine zombies. But not you because you're on your break right now.

edit: Then you unlock a jester hat for the player characters

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

Hmm, is this right?

Pascal (optional)
Jean-Paul (optional)
Desert Jean-Paul fangirl
Forest blacksmith
Animal loving machine

There's also some other desert machines hanging out with the fangirl, the shopkeep machine in the park, Party Tank, the bunny, and the arena machines.

...Given the breakdown of machine society in the wake of everything else, 2B being the king of the desert and Nines picking up a reputation as the biggest badass ever to step into the ring probably makes peace much easier. When the largest faction of your supposed enemies is your fanclub, the fighting's probably going to end soon.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also some other desert machines hanging out with the fangirl, the shopkeep machine in the park, Party Tank, the bunny, and the arena machines.

Technically, the shopkeep in the park is still infected with the logic virus, he's just one of the ones who's held it together remarkably well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So why exactly was YoHRa designed to self destruct? As in why was the idea of an eternal war so appealing to those who created the organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hunt11 posted:

So why exactly was YoHRa designed to self destruct? As in why was the idea of an eternal war so appealing to those who created the organization.

Because androids apparently go crazy if they don't have anything to fight for. Fighting for a lie is better than losing your mind in despair. It was a plan for the preservation of android life on earth.