Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not at the same scale as you guys, and also I imagine US IPs get hit more often, but switching to a non-default port (ie: not 5060) basically drove down bruteforcing attempts on my PBX down to 0.

If it's a small operation I'd definitely recommend that + strong passwords + fail2ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Harik posted:

Charter/spectrum has started molesting SIP traffic, has anyone else seen that? The packets arrive, but they're rewritten to come from some not-us address, then
it fails to forward the RTP to me. I'll contact support about it but it would be nice to have something specific to tell them other than "My VoIP with not-you doesn't work anymore".

I "fixed" it by using a third-party VPN, but that adds audible latency.

AT&T Uverse used to(maybe still does?) a thing where their modem/gateway/phone device would hijack traffic on 5060. SIP phones at a house behind one of these gateways would connect but after that any calls and other traffic for the phone would just be poo poo. This was happening even with Uverse houses without phone service, it was some default provisioning in the network, so maybe thats an avenue to check

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I know it's not at the same scale as you guys, and also I imagine US IPs get hit more often, but switching to a non-default port (ie: not 5060) basically drove down bruteforcing attempts on my PBX down to 0.

If it's a small operation I'd definitely recommend that + strong passwords + fail2ban.

So much this. Almost every SIP device or client supports SRV records and most of them are autoconfigured from templates anyways, so using a nonstandard port is nearly painless compared to how annoying it can be with most other protocols.

My Asterisk systems are mostly listening on port 5060 and we've had days where the fail2ban logs grew so fast we had disk space alerts getting issued (they were set to 24 hour rotation rather than size-based rotation). My new Freeswitch deployment does listen on 5060, but only to a whitelisted set of IP addresses that basically come down to trunk providers where it's easier to just whitelist their IP than to get them to use a different port. The only port exposed to the public is not used for any common services and in the month the system's been online we haven't seen a single attack.

trent_tube
Apr 20, 2006

Someone is going to jail
Let's talk more about Fuze. I just put in 130 of the VVX500s from Fuze - and not super impressed with the implementation process so far. Not to mention, what will happen when they get super popular and bought out by some huge corporation trying sneak its way into UC.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I used to work for a Avaya VAR but have long since left the VoIP field. IP Office was always the red headed stepchild - it was bought as a 3rd party company, integrated as the small business solution, and then just left to rot as the lovely step child of a lovely company. IP Office One-X, at least up to a certain point, was a SIP based phone without a central PBX that they later spun off into soft phones.

How's their enterprise product doing nowadays? I don't remember much about it, but I do remember their enterprise product always being rock solid reliable but also being extremely expensive and hard to configure.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Partycat posted:

Normally if you manage your own border, you are on your own for fraud charges like that.

We have a fraud detection and protection service from them, capped at 500 minutes.

But they just got bought by a new company and they're trying to say that aspect of the contract isn't valid.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Anyone familiar with NCID/sip2ncid?

I'm trying to setup NCID and sip2ncid at home so I can display the caller ID on my HTPC via Kodi. I've setup NCID as a docker on my Unraid server, forwarded UDP ports, but sip2ncid isn't receiving any SIP UDP packets.

I made sure that it wasn't a networking issue by having sip2ncid in test mode listen for UDP packets on port 5060. I then issued a

code:
echo -n "hello" | nc -4u -w1 192.168.0.99 5060
on my MacBook and my NCID docker received the UDP packet. So I don't think that's the issue.

I then tried to listen for UDP packets on my MacBook on port 5060:

code:
sudo tcpdump -i en0 -X -v 'udp port 5060'
But I wasn't receiving anything. I called my phone line from my cell during these tests.

I'm using a Cisco SPA122 and there's a poo poo ton of options under the SIP section. Under the options for my phone line, I see SIP Transport = UDP and SIP Port = 5060.

I got this sip2ncid thing working a couple of years ago on my RaspberryPi, but I since wiped the image to install retropie. I don't recall messing with my SPA122 since then.

Any hints on where to look? Disclaimer: I know nothing about VOIP and networking.

Edit: I just remembered I had to setup ettercap on my raspberry pi. Back to the drawing board and Google.

Edit 2: Got everything working. Set up an Ubuntu VM with NCID and ettercap instead of trying to run ettercap instead a docker. I can now see caller ID information from within Kodi.

Secx fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 18, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
sip2ncid appears to be entirely passive, as in it doesn't register with the system itself but it sniffs the traffic as it passes by headed to your actual VoIP device.

This means it needs to be running somewhere that can actually see the traffic destined for the phone, and on a switched network that's not very many places.

The easiest solution would be to run it on the router, but that only works if you're using something like OpenWRT or pfSense where running random *nix applications is an option. If you can't do that, the next best choice would be a managed switch with a "span" or mirror port option to copy the traffic on the phone's port over to the port where your sniffer lives. If you can't do that, some phones like Yealinks have an option to mirror their call traffic out their PC ports, but that definitely won't apply to a SPA-series ATA. That leaves you with the ghetto span port, an ethernet hub. Not a switch, but an actual hub.

Another potential option if you can do it would be to set up an additional extension that rings simultaneously with the one you care about, then statically map that to send traffic at the sip2ncid box.

edit: I guess you can use ettercap too, but I would not consider anything that depended on that a proper long-term solution. It's a very useful tool in security analysis but not really for this. You're adding an additional hop that's not necessarily stable to your VoIP calls as well.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FatCow posted:

Find a new provider. Not being able to timely shut down fraud is amazingly incompetent.

Yeah, welcome to Integra.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I guess it depends what you mean by fraud, and fraud detection.

Most of the major carriers like Verizon or AT&T have fraud services and departments - and they're aware of toll fraud or suspicious destinations (some of which can get you a call from ye olde FBI). If they see your account making calls to those numbers then it is pretty easy to ring it up as potential fraud. Sometimes the "fraud" is that your PBX Is leaky and someone can get in and use it to place their calls - not for the purposes of making money from the far end but making calls for free. That is not always considered fraud. AT&T used to reach out if they saw you were racking up a large bill on an international call or something to make sure it was legitimate. In other cases, the provider may terminate long distance or international services from your billing account until they can reach you.
Or it could just look like call traffic and then you get stuck with a bill - and that's not really their problem if the reason for it is because your system let it in.

I'm not really including warranty/guarantee type services in that designation, of course.

Now in the case of "If it's fraud, and you can't get to us to stop it, shut it down" depending on how that's done that could be bad for your business. You can make arrangements to not have them do that, just notify you and not tamper with your traffic, but, if you do that then you are responsible for charges post-notification often.

This is also from the perspective of TDM services where it is not really as easy to filter your outbound traffic in their backend due to the way the call is being presented and metered.

In general "toll fraud" detection is a service any useful carrier should have, abuse/misuse detection usually is not necessarily. But your telephony solution could also have usage monitoring that can alert you when X number of units of calling have been used, or over a deviation or something to help you pinpoint these things as well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Partycat posted:

Sometimes the "fraud" is that your PBX Is leaky and someone can get in and use it to place their calls - not for the purposes of making money from the far end but making calls for free. That is not always considered fraud. AT&T used to reach out if they saw you were racking up a large bill on an international call or something to make sure it was legitimate. In other cases, the provider may terminate long distance or international services from your billing account until they can reach you.
Or it could just look like call traffic and then you get stuck with a bill - and that's not really their problem if the reason for it is because your system let it in.

I feel like you don't work for a company that does much wholesale VoIP. The "my PBX got clowned and 500 sessions are now pinned up to <Pick your favorite African/Caribbean country>" is a massive problem. We never did international with AT&T, but Level 3 would detect and reach out to us within an hour if they saw a spike to an international destination. I'd guess they detect faster now since we've been beating them on detection for many years now so they don't hit us up ever.

It's my problem because if a mom and pop SMB runs up a 50k international bill they aren't going to pay it. Before we wrote a proper fraud detection system we were losing millions per year to unpaid international.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

True, I do not work for a wholesale provider. As an end customer we have been on the receiving end of the situation I'm describing a few times. Once we have made arrangements to not have the carrier disrupt our traffic, it has come with the stipulation that if they determine it is fraud or are suspicious of it being fraud, and they let us know, we are on the hook for it.

I am more in the role of being a customer of someone such as yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For anybody who has a Polycom RealPresence Trio, the latest firmware update introduces (experimental) hybrid registration. So you can be connected to SfB as well as your existing SIP PBX, meaning you can use it as a phone without having to go for the Skype PBX and calling licenses. The dial plan is pretty cool and lets you decide what calls should route over which lines.

I've set ours up so that dialling 4 digit extensions sends the call over SIP, dialling a normal number uses SfB. There's no support for bridging a SIP call into a SfB meeting but a) that's understandable, and b) buy your users dial-in conferencing licenses if you want to do that.

http://community.polycom.com/t5/Polycom-Labs-for-Voice/RealPresence-Trio-Experimental-Feature-Hybrid-and-Dual-Line/m-p/89693

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So, if any of you use VoIP Innovations you may want to sanity check your CDRs with them and what they've billed you for this year.

code:
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 2016-09-compiled.cdr | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 2016-10-compiled.cdr | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 2016-11-compiled.cdr | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 2016-12-compiled.cdr | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 201701-compiled.CDR | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 201702-compiled.CDR | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
wolrah@titan:~$ cat 201703-compiled.CDR | sort | uniq -D | wc -l
CDRs generally shouldn't have duplicate lines...

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Any consumer VOIP providers worth recommending? My parents have some super cheap one that's been steadily getting worse, so they're looking to jump ship.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrBond posted:

Any consumer VOIP providers worth recommending? My parents have some super cheap one that's been steadily getting worse, so they're looking to jump ship.

Consumer VoIP is a tricky business. lovely internet connections and random garbage modem/router combo devices provided by the ISP, plus whatever silly poo poo the person has added to their network themselves, make for a high support load compared to the prices you can charge while still being competitive.

You can get good service for cheap but you'll be pretty much on your own for support, or you can get support but the company's going to be cutting corners elsewhere to afford it. There will also be problems that the provider can not solve and are between you and the ISP.

ISP-provided VoIP services are the exception here obviously, because they control the last mile and theoretically the entire path between the box at your house and their PSTN connections.

I'd recommend sticking to those sorts of things if you want home VoIP service as a primary line for non-technical users.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MrBond posted:

I have my super non-technical folks set up with an Obi200 ATA and Google Voice + Callcentric, and I haven't heard one complaint about it in over a year. It's a ridiculously good value for the price, but as wolrah said, there is really no support if you end up needing it.

They have a "Free DID" from Callcentric for incoming calls from GV, toll-free outbound (~$0.01/min), and e911 ($1.50/mo). Google Voice is the default for outgoing calls (free!) and redirects their incoming calls to the Callcentric number. For the calls directed outbound via Callcentric, they allow the caller ID to be set to the GV number once you complete their verification process. It takes a little bit of setup, but has been pretty foolproof.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm starting a law firm with two offices in two different cities in the same state. I want the person calling in to get a cool message and be able to press "1" for office A and "2" for office B regardless of which office he or she called. I'd also like to be able to route to my cell phone if necessary. We are also heavily invested in the Office 365 infrastructure, so any integration with Skype for Business or whatever would be cool because I am a tech dork.

I have a VOIP landline through my ISP (Spectrum) and the other office currently has no landline.

Which service will do what I want? I was looking at Grasshopper but saw some p.bad reviews. Any advice is much appreciated.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

beergod posted:

I'm starting a law firm with two offices in two different cities in the same state. I want the person calling in to get a cool message and be able to press "1" for office A and "2" for office B regardless of which office he or she called. I'd also like to be able to route to my cell phone if necessary. We are also heavily invested in the Office 365 infrastructure, so any integration with Skype for Business or whatever would be cool because I am a tech dork.

I have a VOIP landline through my ISP (Spectrum) and the other office currently has no landline.

Which service will do what I want? I was looking at Grasshopper but saw some p.bad reviews. Any advice is much appreciated.

VOIP - gently caress you it's 2017 just call me on my cell phone

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
First things first - do you have a JD?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
My cellphone sounds kind of lovely though?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dialpad would probably handle that setup without much hassle.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

beergod posted:

Any managed voip provider can do what you want - a simple IVR and "follow me" for the extensions to get forwarded to a cell phone.

For dirt cheap you can use someone like voip.ms - your bill will be around $2-5/mo.

Just make sure you can easily port your number out from whatever provider you choose (google something like "trying to port my number from xyz problems" to see if there's a lot of horror stories).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beergod posted:

Microsoft offers VOIP service through office 365 that you might want to look at. They've been adding more features recently including auto attendant.

https://products.office.com/en-us/skype-for-business/cloud-pbx

I did some beta testing of their cloud pbx/PSTN calling features and it seemed very easy to use and deal with, but didn't do anything particularly advanced with it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Some of my vendors use Skype for Business and it seemed to be unreliable to me - we'd be loving around trying to do a conference call that wouldn't connect and after 5 minutes just chose to gently caress it and call cell phones.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Some of my vendors use Skype for Business and it seemed to be unreliable to me - we'd be loving around trying to do a conference call that wouldn't connect and after 5 minutes just chose to gently caress it and call cell phones.

I tired using Skype for business and gave up entirely. No contact management. No features. Absolutely useless compared to consumer skype.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I bought a Skype number some time ago and I keep getting spam calls (my guess is that whoever had the number before pretty much was a habitual debtor given that it's mostly collection agencies).

Is there one weird trick to getting a clean DID?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I don't know, but I wonder if some day people will have a problem getting off the spam caller lists that Google and others maintain because the number they bought used to be owned by a call center. It'd be like getting an IP address and finding out it was blacklisted for spam.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

unknown posted:

Any managed voip provider can do what you want - a simple IVR and "follow me" for the extensions to get forwarded to a cell phone.

Pretty much this; for example the product we use customer facing numbers have an IVR which leads to different department extensions with their own call rules. For individual stuff if you were to call my extension it's programmable to go to a voicemail box or can be automatically sent elsewhere, this also is extended to a handset where you can setup call forwarding or forking.

I can only speak for two hosted products though, one purpose-built for SFDC and another purely UK based.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
lol Meraki desk phones will accidentally hang up if exposed to infrared light

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

lol Meraki desk phones will accidentally hang up if exposed to infrared light

Like, if I point at them with a remote control or something?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Apparently the new ones have some kind of IR sensor in them that you can overload really easily.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Hahahaha....

They decided to use an infrared proximity sensor as the hook switch.

As if the fact that they get it wrong so regularly on cell phones wasn't enough of a hint that maybe these sensors shouldn't be used to replace a long-standing simple mechanical switch.

The justification they give is sanitary reasons, presumably junk ending up in the switch slot. A magnetic switch would allow a slotless design without this problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Snom phones have magnetic hook switches, work perfectly.

And I have no idea why you'd spend Meraki money on desk phones.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried the Ubiquiti phones? Thoughts?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Beefstorm posted:

Has anyone tried the Ubiquiti phones? Thoughts?

I have one of each UVP-Pro and UVP-Executive. I am not impressed. Touch screens without any tactile feedback suck rear end for dialing phone numbers. Basic phone features you'd expect on face-buttons (hold, transfer) for an enterprise phone system or PBX are missing from the UVP's dialer app.* Audio volume was abnormally low but they say that's since been fixed through software updates.

But you can play Angry Birds and Youtube.

*- the shortcomings of an android-tablet-as-desk-phone also applies to the Meraki desk phones, which I played around with for a month before shipping back to Meraki.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 25, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Snom phones have magnetic hook switches, work perfectly.
That sounds like an utterly amazing quality of life thing.

Also I suppose this is a big question but what the gently caress are you supposed to do about extending business VOIP to home users? I've tried everything I could think of but call quality remains lovely despite working correctly, at the moment a home user can only use an RDP session to access company resources and the one last thing I haven't tried is getting the office router QoS set to prioritise RDP traffic. My networking knowledge isn't that fantastic so I don't know if prioritising RDP traffic would negatively affect the office VOIP, which would be a big problem since we're a contact center.

The only options I can think of to get this off the ground are;
- Install business WAN links to every home workers house
- Replace RDP with VPN but doesn't really change things from a QoS point of view
- Install business grade routers, questionable if ISPs are compatible

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 25, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use a telephone provider that has good quality iOS and Android apps

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Are you forwarding ports to allow RDP access directly to a terminal server or back to their workstations where they're using soft phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
No port forwarding just an RDP session connected to our Terminal Server (2008 R2, Poorly setup), it's also been tested using a thin client and a desktop without a difference. The quality seemed all over the place as calling a mobile phone had perfect quality besides having a 1 second lag time, one internal call was good, another two were jittery as gently caress, another had great inbound but outbound sounded underwater.

• Locked thread