Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
It really is amazing that Ted Cruz can be so disliked by so many people simultaneously and still go home at night and feel good about himself. I don't personally know a single Republican that likes him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Missionary Positron posted:

The Pope was really loving with Donnie, big time:

Still not as bad as they usually do with kids. :rimshot:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
AHCA CBO score going to be released today.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/867389676398751746

Lol I hope he doesn't last a month

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I hear a certain former Maricopa county sheriff is available for the FBI director position.

Don't even go with Clarke, go full retard

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I hear a certain former Maricopa county sheriff is available for the FBI director position.

Don't even go with Clarke, go full retard

Joe Aprio or whatever his name is.

Edit:
Monthly WaPo is terrible post:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/867372535398227968

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 24, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nope. No respectable brand wants to run media with a guy who's a crazy person.

The client I had last year had a blanket policy of never running media on news channels period even if the audience was there.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is the director position a management position or do you need to actually know what the hell you're doing.?

What I'm getting at is, does some jerk who got a management degree as qualified to be the FBI director as a former Investigator/FBI Agent/Lawyer/Counter-Intel guy?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Joe Aprio or whatever his name is.

Edit:
Monthly WaPo is terrible post:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/867372535398227968

It was an editorial piece.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

It was a paid editorial and they didn't disclose it

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Buca di Bepis posted:

It was a paid editorial and they didn't disclose it

Bingo.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

This does and doesn't matter. There's no hard rule against this.

But any reputable newspaper should be aware of how bad they look when they publish anything, even op/eds, by someone who is paid to have that opinion. It makes the newspaper look like they got played because they're too stupid to properly verify a contributor isn't being influenced, or it makes the paper look lovely because they didn't care to check. Since the Washington Post is making its latest name on anti-corruption, clarity in government, calling a spade a spade, etc. this makes it look very dumb. On the other hand, NYT does the same thing to a certain extent.

A lot of nonprofits and lobbying groups will support writers of op/eds and try to get them into well-known papers. They usually go through the front door, though, and disclose the exact affiliation within the op/ed itself. That's actually an example of a newspaper fulfilling a civic duty, with respect to the notion that an opinion is at least worth hearing out if there's a lot of resources and/or believers in it.

Sneaking it in looks pretty dumb. But nobody reads the corrections, so it's already over with.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Video of Devos saying that she would continue to fund schools that discriminate against LGBT/minority students, as long as the state says its ok

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That pope photo is incredible. I don't know if Donnie's lack of awareness or the pope's "gently caress this guy" look is better

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

KildarX posted:

Is the director position a management position or do you need to actually know what the hell you're doing.?

What I'm getting at is, does some jerk who got a management degree as qualified to be the FBI director as a former Investigator/FBI Agent/Lawyer/Counter-Intel guy?
You actually need to know what the hell you're doing, but it's not a requirement.

Here is the entirety of the qualifications for FBI director:
Be
1) Appointed by the President,
and
2) Confirmed by the Senate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Two Finger posted:

That pope photo is incredible. I don't know if Donnie's lack of awareness or the pope's "gently caress this guy" look is better

I'm fond of the fact that his own family doesn't want to stand too close to him anymore.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
John Cena as the new FBI Director.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

John Cena as the new FBI Director.
Cena is a liberal and hates Trump so I'm cool with that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It should be Stone Cold. He can stunner Trump again during the arrest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Would pay good money to see that

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Would pay good money to see that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTtfVOyVsf0

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

What do pigeons like to eat?

https://twitter.com/CassLowe/status/867343769796042752

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Deathy McDeath posted:

AHCA CBO score going to be released today.

Annoyingly, they're posting it in "the late afternoon".

Motherfuckers are going to release it at 5pm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Saw a tweet about it that said the updated score will differ from the original with higher costs for the bill itself, lower insurance costs, and lower number of uninsured. I'm not sure how the third part is true, but we'll see.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure that's just people getting shittier coverage for less if it's true.

Like sure it costs less and some more people can afford it but it covers less.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

basically lovely catastrophic plans with garbage lifetime caps would be my guess, but I'm not 100%

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

eat the sick

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ktumulty/status/867464092289839104

Dubious Russian document basically said that Attorney General Lynch was in the tank for Hillary and would kill the email investigation or make sure it didn't go too far.

FBI saw that unverifiable document, knew it was unverifiable, and used it as a contributor to leapfrog Lynch, leading to the initial Comey press conference. Comey was worried that document would leak out if he never had the presser and undermine all the investigatory work.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Wasabi the J posted:

He's bombing his own goddamn cities because of like, a handful of whacks.

He deserves condemnation.

I should clarify this - I condemn Duterte and his very existence, and pretty much everything he has done in his presidency. I don't condemn him for calling for martial law. I condemn him bombing his own cities, I condemn the death squads, I condemn extrajudicial executions, etc...

Duterte absolutely deserves condemnation. But declaring martial law under this as a reason -

posted:

Duterte declared martial rule for 60 days in the entire southern Mindanao region, the restive third of the Philippine archipelago, Tuesday evening to try to crush Muslim extremists who have aligned themselves with the Islamic State group and occupied a hospital, jail and other buildings and battled troops in an audacious attack in Marawi City.

I'm not gonna argue. Bombing the whole cities, well, that's another issue. Anyways, I think we can both agree that an extrajudicial execution squad hitting him isn't necessarily the worst thing for the Philippines.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Perpetually shameful waste-of-existence Andrew Cuomo continues to gobble down all of the poo poo by pushing to close a Veterans Service Agency office in Putnam County, NY, for the umpteenth time, because the measly few dollars it costs to help a bunch of old vets meet with a VSO are more important elsewhere in the state budget.

Karl Rohde, director, Putnam County Veterans Service Agency posted:

In 1991, Governor Mario Cuomo attempted to reduce his New York State budget by cutting services to the Veterans of Putnam County. Today, the legacy continues as his son and current NYS Governor, Andrew Cuomo, attempts a similar strategy.

First, a bit of history — Back in 1991 the New York Division of Veterans Affairs announced that they were going to close the Putnam County office for budgetary reasons. The closing of the office was going to save about $50,000 out of a $5 Million Budget that had to be cut by $500,000. Fortunately, Putnam succeeded in mobilizing its Veterans and won a reprieve. As part of the new deal, the Putnam County office would remain open, but the County would foot the bill to house the NY State Division Service officer, and provide secretarial assistance for the two days the service officer was on site. In addition, the County would also provide clerical assistance on the other three days of the week to schedule appointments, as well as providing phone service and computer access at no charge to the State.

After the State’s second attempt to close the Putnam Office in April 2015 was thwarted, I formally requested, as Director of the Putnam County Veterans Service Agency and provider of free office space, clerical support and amenities to the NYS Division of Veterans Affairs, that we receive notification when and if the Putnam Office would be closed. That following January of 2016, the Division closed the office. Putnam Veterans Services had to reschedule an estimated 50 Veteran client appointments to other dates at a location in Castle Point, which is about 25 miles from our office in Carmel. Again, we fought and won to reopen our office, so our Veterans, many of whom are elderly and disabled, would not have to bear the burden of inconvenient, costly and unnecessary travel to meet with a Veterans Service Officer to apply for compensation due to military service.

The punishment continued in 2016 when the Division tried to limit Putnam to one day per week with a Veterans Service Officer. That was also stopped when we proved the need in Putnam for at least two days per week, if not more.

Now in May of 2017, just weeks before Memorial Day, and the New York State Division, at the insistence of Governor Andrew Cuomo, is keen on denying services to the Veterans of Putnam County again.

In order to save money, the Putnam Office will be closed. This is nonsense. The Division has to save $300,000 in the current budget. Notwithstanding that the Governor wants to cut his budget on behalf of Veterans, this closing makes little sense. Our Veterans Service Officer, Brennan Mahoney, will still be employed 5 days per week by the Division. He will do all those days at Castle Point alongside another fulltime service officer at the same location. The Veterans of Putnam, Northern Westchester and Southern Dutchess will now be forced to commute to Castle Point to see Brennan even though there is a second service officer already covering the Castle Point location – and where is the cost savings? It should also be noted that while the clerk at Castle Point is paid by the State of New York, the clerk in Putnam County still costs the State of New York nothing.

The travel expense and inconvenience to these Veterans has not been considered in the least. The age of the Veteran or the disability that makes travel difficult has not been weighed in this decision.

Why are these statewide cuts being aimed at the very group of people that the New York State Division of Veterans Affairs is mandated to serve? To put a fine point on it, why is the Division targeting its own clients? There are no suggested cut backs in management headcount or salary. No mention of trying to lower the costs in areas where they rent and or lease office buildings. Rather than a knee jerk response, why weren’t the cuts more thoughtfully vetted?

Veterans and family members who wish to learn answers to these questions should contact Eric J. Hesse, director, New York State Division of Veterans Affairs at (518) 474-6114.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Wait, Duterte is bombing cities in the Philippines? As in full on Arc Light-style bombing missions?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigDave posted:

Wait, Duterte is bombing cities in the Philippines? As in full on Arc Light-style bombing missions?

The Phillipines doesn't have any B-52s, but they have some AS-211s, SF-260s and OV-10s.

This press release says two planes dropped several bombs on the outskirts of Marawi yesterday, but more sites are reporting that as of today, air strikes have been ruled out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CBO score to come out in 3 minutes.

The trump saved Carrier company will start laying off employees this summer and is now supposed to cut 600 jobs instead of the 300 announced a week ago or whatever.

Also the Seth Rich conspiracy was originally started on a blog owned by Louise Mensch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CBO score: https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

700 billion in lost revenue from tax cuts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

834 billion cut to medicaid

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/867479344536584192

Piece of poo poo stinks slightly worse, but still a piece of poo poo, not to step on Mr. Nice.

lol and it destabilizes markets in 1/6th of the country gg

https://twitter.com/sangerkatz/status/867479458260897792

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There's no toe stepping. I'm not gonna post every horrible thing otherwise i'll be typing this poo poo all day.

"In 2026, an estimated 51 million people under age 65 would be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Reduces the deficit by $119bn whole leaving 23 million people uninsured.

That's chump change.

• Locked thread