Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Amy Pole Her posted:

You're delusional if you think Dak could carry this team without a run game

It's amazing--the Dallas offensive line is always simultaneously so great that anyone could succeed behind it and so inept that losing Dak or Zeke would render the entire team garbage.

Losing Zeke wouldn't leave Dallas "without a run game." It would just leave Dallas with "an OK run game" that would be successful behind the superior line and elevated by having a mobile QB that can throw the ball downfield. McFadden had a 1k-yard season on an offense where Brandon Weeden and the wheel of clowns we put in at QB never threw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. Dak creates a downfield threat *and* an additional rushing threat that teams have to account for, and that helps Zeke a lot more than Zeke's ability to get second-level yards helps Dak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I watched the McFadden/Randle platoon during the post-Murray year

It wasn't good

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It wasn't good

No. No it was not.

But no running back can save you when the best-case scenario for the passing game is a 5-yard pass to Beasley on 3rd-and-13

e: Also Randle didn't play much of a part in the platoon

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 21, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've got a friend who's in Haiti on a mission trip for the week and she just texted me pictures that Carson Wentz and Jordan Matthews are over there doing the same stuff she is, in a different group at a table like 15 ft away. I'm trying to barter with her, telling her I'll take her to the most expensive restaurant in the state for a video message from them.

But, anyways, all I'm saying is that I bet Dak & Zeke are probably sitting around eating cheetos.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's amazing--the Dallas offensive line is always simultaneously so great that anyone could succeed behind it and so inept that losing Dak or Zeke would render the entire team garbage.

There aren't many teams that can succeed with a backup QB. It's kind of ironic that Dallas had chance of being a team that could survive a QB injury if they had been able to retain Romo as a backup, and now they have a bunch of dudes nobody has ever heard of that are probably a downgrade from Mark Sanchez.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

I've got a friend who's in Haiti on a mission trip for the week and she just texted me pictures that Carson Wentz and Jordan Matthews are over there doing the same stuff she is, in a different group at a table like 15 ft away. I'm trying to barter with her, telling her I'll take her to the most expensive restaurant in the state for a video message from them.

That's awesome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It wasn't good

That was a season without a quarterback. Its hard to run against 8 in the box every down because brandon weeden isn't unleashing the dragon anytime soon.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was a season without a quarterback. Its hard to run against 8 in the box every down because brandon weeden isn't unleashing the dragon anytime soon.

I went to PFR to remember the QB's they started that year:

code:

No.           Player   Age Pos  G  GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Int Lng Y/A AY/A  Y/C   Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
16       Matt Cassel    33  qb  9  7  1-6-0 119 204 58.3 1276  5   7  51 6.3  5.2 10.7 141.8 70.6 14  86 5.46  4.47 6.4   1   1
9          Tony Romo    35  qb  4  4  3-1-0  83 121 68.6  884  5   7  39 7.3  5.5 10.7 221.0 79.4  6  35 6.69  4.99 4.7   1   2
17      Kellen Moore    27  qb  3  2  0-2-0  61 104 58.7  779  4   6  36 7.5  5.7 12.8 259.7 71.0  5  23 6.94  5.19         4.6
3     Brandon Weeden    32  qb  4  3  0-3-0  71  98 72.4  738  2   2  67 7.5  7.0 10.4 184.5 92.1  8  62 6.38  5.91         7.5
Which is pretty yikes. Also, it reminded me that Dez Bryant was hurt and only played in 9 games that year.

So yeah, the 2015 Cowboys were hosed on offense in a lot of ways. In 2017, if they lost Zeke or Dak, not both at once, but most of the other pieces on offense remained intact, they ought to be able to adjust and cope with it reasonably well. But losing both of them, or one of them and a key receiving option like Dez or Witten, and things would probably fall apart, but the same could be said for most teams in similar situations.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 21, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Mr. Nice! posted:

By the stats post, Weed Man was probably the best QB that year :v:

The point I was trying to make however, is that as good as the Cowboys OL is, the RB"s need to have some talent at least

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

By the stats post, Weed Man was probably the best QB that year :v:

The point I was trying to make however, is that as good as the Cowboys OL is, the RB"s need to have some talent at least

McFadden still had a surprisingly respectable season despite being the team's only real RB, playing in only 10 games, and rushing against stacked boxes--he ended up rushing for over 1k yards (4th in the nfl that year) and 4.6 ypc. My point is that losing Zeke would hurt, but probably to the tune of costing us 1-2 games; losing Dak would torpedo the season to the tune of a 4-12 finish.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is it too soon to crown the eagles offseason champs? I seem to recall this happening every offseason so I just wanna get it out of the way so we can all enjoy their inevitable collapse after a briefly promising start.

I remember when people used to say this about the Redskins. And then every year hilarity ensued.

Now no one even bothers. I'm not sure which is worse. :smith:

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

McFadden still had a surprisingly respectable season despite being the team's only real RB, playing in only 10 games, and rushing against stacked boxes--he ended up rushing for over 1k yards (4th in the nfl that year) and 4.6 ypc.

I think the biggest issue is the type of runner McFadden is as he really doesn't "fit" what the Cowboys like to do. He's an excellent Man/Gap runner but that's only a change up to what we like to do which is inside zone, outside zone, and more inside zone.

quote:

Bob Sturm's run game analysis: As Cowboys test RBs who fit scheme, what becomes of Darren McFadden?

But, it gets even crazier when you look at McFadden's numbers by type of run. He ran the ball 239 times for 1,089 yards for 4.6 a carry. There is nothing wrong with those numbers at all. 76.6% of those runs were of the zone running variety. But, just 61% of the yards were on zone plays. In other words, on zone running plays that require a slightly different skill set (patience and then decisive decisions) from where he is most comfortable, he was only able to get 3.65 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, his man/gap runs, which were only 23.4% of his total runs, racked up 39% of his yardage, at an incredible 7.5 yards per carry. What we heard in Oakland became true here. He specializes in the type of runs that the Cowboys only use as their change-up. The Cowboys have built a line with massive resources that specializes in the fine art of zone blocking. Then, when they have you set up, they throw an occasional change-up with a pulling guard or a man scheme to catch you off balance. It has worked very well since they completely bought in with the drafting of Zack Martin in 2014.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Whoever changed my avatar, it's brilliant.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Losing Zeke wouldn't leave Dallas "without a run game." It would just leave Dallas with "an OK run game" that would be successful behind the superior line and elevated by having a mobile QB that can throw the ball downfield. McFadden had a 1k-yard season on an offense where Brandon Weeden and the wheel of clowns we put in at QB never threw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. Dak creates a downfield threat *and* an additional rushing threat that teams have to account for, and that helps Zeke a lot more than Zeke's ability to get second-level yards helps Dak.

As a different question then, instead of Zeke going down with an injury what if 3+ starting linemen miss over 50% of the season?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

As a different question then, instead of Zeke going down with an injury what if 3+ starting linemen miss over 50% of the season?

:gizz:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TheChirurgeon posted:

It wouldn't be great, but Dallas could recover. Losing Dak would be a much, much bigger deal. The team doesn't need a dominant run game nearly as much as it needs the ability to pass downfield. The offensive line helps Zeke and the run game more than it helps Prescott.

100% that Romo would unretire if this happened.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

axeil posted:

then we'd find out pretty quick whether Dak is actually the second coming of Russell Wilson, I guess

Not sure there's a team in the NFL that could just stand to lose 3 starting offensive linemen for a season without taking a significant hit, even if their line wasn't as good as Dallas'

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
OTA's and all (IT'S ALL WE GOT NOW GUYS)

Philly d-line is man handling the o-line. And Cox isn't even there yet. Jernigan is particularly standing out. Vinny Curry is stepping up. Carson is looking accurate. And Rasul Douglas shut down Torrey Smith (which could be a good or bad thing).

Nelson Agholor looks particularly motivated and is catching everything thrown to him :eek:

DGB is looking like a dumb rear end.

And that's your 89 Eagles OTA Day 1 recap

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

89 posted:

OTA's and all (IT'S ALL WE GOT NOW GUYS)

Philly d-line is man handling the o-line. And Cox isn't even there yet. Jernigan is particularly standing out. Vinny Curry is stepping up. Carson is looking accurate. And Rasul Douglas shut down Torrey Smith (which could be a good or bad thing).

Nelson Agholor looks particularly motivated and is catching everything thrown to him :eek:

And that's your 89 Eagles OTA Day 1 recap

Don't worry man they'll all look like poo poo in 3 months

(which could be a good or bad thing)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

89 posted:

He'll be gone by August.

https://twitter.com/JohnBarchard/status/867042810771509248
https://twitter.com/BrandonGowton/status/867049346130468865

First off :laffo:, and secondly I like this new coach already

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 24, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Carson Wentz is the best player in the NFC East.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had a dream about football a couple nights ago. I dreamed the Cowboys were beating the Eagles 59-0, and I just want to apologize to everyone. It might just be one of the lamest dreams I've ever had, even if a score like that would make my day.

Can the season be here now?

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I dreamed the Cowboys were beating the Eagles 59-0

don't spoil the 2017 season for me

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

incompetent posted:

don't spoil the 2017 season for me

Spoiler: Zeke gets popped for weed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
mods please rename thread to "NFC East: Eagles Fanfiction Zone" tia

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It's more plausible than a 59-0 win.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

TheChirurgeon posted:

My favorite part has been reading sincere excitement for the 2017 vintage of Torrey Smith, although to be fair he is legitimately an upgrade over the schmucks from last year.

A noticeably worse version of Ted Ginn jr: savior

troofs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
But I recognize his name. That means he must be good!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

troofs posted:

My favorite part has been reading sincere excitement for the 2017 vintage of Torrey Smith, although to be fair he is legitimately an upgrade over the schmucks from last year.

You must have missed the Alshon Jeffrey signing. (The Eagles signed Alshon Jeffery)

Torrey Smith essentially got a series of 3 one year deals. The Eagles can cut him at any time with little to no dead money hit ($500,000 in 2017, $0 in 2018 or 2019). He's a stopgap #2 receiver and in that respect it was a good signing and merits some excitement because it was a significant upgrade at a position of need with no long term commitment if it doesn't work out or the rookies drafted this year perform well enough to make him unnecessary.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

troofs posted:

We Eagles fans have been in a bad place since Chip Kelly was a fuckstick with Maclin and let him leave for KC. Rock bottom was probably when our #3 WR got busted for being an idiot and we had to somehow talk ourselves into it being a good thing because he sucked anyway.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Especially when we have the best offense going into this year on paper since 2013 Vick/Shady/DeSean/Maclin (yeah he got injured that year).

Wentz/Blount/Alshon/Matthews/Torrey/Ertz/Sproles DOESNT SOUND BAD

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well wentz has to be good for it to work but sure.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

quote:

I've seen a popular notion among the fan base that the Eagles have a top 10-type of offense. Some believe it's top five.

And it's not just fans.

Eagles' offense is improved, but still far from great

quote:

To be clear, that's not to say the Eagles don't have good players on offense. They do.

• Lane Johnson and Brandon Brooks are among the best players in the NFL at less-important positions. Johnson might be the best at his spot at RT.

• Jason Peters was probably a top 10 left tackle in 2016, but it is hard to project that going forward for a player who will turn 36 during the playoffs next season, should the Eagles make it there.

• Alshon Jeffery is obviously a big upgrade at wide receiver, but is he a top 10 receiver? No way. Is he top 20? Eh, maybe.

• Zach Ertz is a top-10 tight end as a receiver, but his all-around game still needs improvement.

seems legit.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Would you take the Eagles offense or the Giants offense this year?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Giants. Eagles offense should be pretty good but Beckham and Marshall are both better than Jeffery imo, Randle is also really good, and Eli has proven himself more than capable of delivering the ball even if he is careless. It's nice to know there's a decent chance I'm wrong, though. Blount really adds a lot to the team.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The Giants OL is ... not good IIRC

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The Giants OL is ... not good IIRC

I'm p.sure I remember Iodised pointing out that they were #2 in Football Outsiders OL stats.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would take the Eagles offense because Beckham is an idiot and I wouldn't want to look at Manning Face all season long.

You can make the argument that the Giants defense is better, but while the Giants attempt squeeze the last bit of life out of Eli Manning's career in what is essentially a farewell tour, the Eagles have 2nd year QB who looks to have the raw talent that could make him a top 5 QB. You're basically choosing between "thanks for the memories" and "welcome to the future." I'll opt for the future.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm p.sure I remember Iodised pointing out that they were #2 in Football Outsiders OL stats.

FO has its problems but Iodised was wrong in his criticism. Football Outsiders ranked them #2 in sack rate, which even if you take out their weeabo adjustments isn't wildly different from just looking at the actual sack rate--sacks/pass attempts.

The problem is that just looking at sacks isn't actually a good way to gauge an offensive line's ability*--Most sacks are the QB's fault and Eli is pretty good at avoiding a sack. His decision-making suffers when he's under pressure, but not much more so than most other good QBs--he was just more mistake-prone when he wasn't under pressure.

*you probably want to look at "short sacks" (fewer than 2 seconds to hit) or "pressures allowed" instead to get a more reliable metric. You'd also probably want to do some weighting based on the opponents, but when you start doing that people lose their poo poo because they don't understand basic math

e: Also, I'd take the Giants' offense. ODB is a top-5 receiver and Eli's a pretty good QB

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TheChirurgeon posted:

• Locked thread