Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

This is a great resource, thanks! I've been thinking about learning some new characters after over a decade of Paul and Kazuya, and this looks like a great way to at least have a starting point to take off from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Still sad Craig Marduk isn't returning so I think I'm going to go all in on Miguel. Dude has the best "I don't give a gently caress" fighting style out of anything ever and I can strongly respect and relate.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BattleHamster posted:

You may want to check out this video if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

It's practically a direct answer to the issue you're having.

Knowing which moves to focus on can come from a variety of places (internet discussions, match videos, frame data numbers, experimenting in training mode, etc.) but the information is out there you just have to ask.

This is a really good tutorial and it's pretty rare that a video can actually boil down big picture abstracts so neatly

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I should probably redo the "Quick Start" section to not just be copy-pasted from the last thread. I think the top moves list + Aris video are really helpful places to start, aside from learning a juggle or two and some punishers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Still sad Craig Marduk isn't returning so I think I'm going to go all in on Miguel. Dude has the best "I don't give a gently caress" fighting style out of anything ever and I can strongly respect and relate.

I don't really get why they ditched Marduk and basically replaced him with Gigas.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic of basic gameplay, one thing I've been wondering is; do you use the neutral guard at all? Every guide mentions holding back to guard, but none of the guides mentions how to deal with the fact that your character is backing off, and with Feng in particular I'm also having the problem that if I try to guard (hold back) and jab (press 1) too quickly I'll do a b+1 and get severely punished for it. I guess it's just one of those things you'll get better at with experience?

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

You cannot block and jab at the same time. If you're attempting to block an attack and then jab you're simply doing it too quickly and are getting b+1.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Short answer: No, never.

More specific answer: If holding back to block is causing you to noticeably back out of range, it's symptomatic of a much larger problem you are probably having with movement. Yes, it's definitely important to be able to block correctly, but because of how vital it is to always be moving (see Aris's video above), if a dude has you in deer-in-headlights mode where you're just holding back waiting for attacks to come, you're basically already hosed. Once you've blocked something, you should either be punishing it, or if it's not unsafe, using the frame advantage to reposition or apply your own pressure.

Basically if you need a rule of thumb, "I've blocked 3 different attacks without doing anything in return" means you're freezing up and need to move laterally and get more aggressive.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Your Computer posted:

While we're on the topic of basic gameplay, one thing I've been wondering is; do you use the neutral guard at all? Every guide mentions holding back to guard, but none of the guides mentions how to deal with the fact that your character is backing off, and with Feng in particular I'm also having the problem that if I try to guard (hold back) and jab (press 1) too quickly I'll do a b+1 and get severely punished for it. I guess it's just one of those things you'll get better at with experience?

You'll get the hang of it with practice, but basically while you're blocking you have time to input a button before 'blockstun' ends. If you do this, the character will do the action you input as soon as they possibly can (in this case, when blockstun ends.) With that in mind, as soon as you've blocked you can let the stick or dpad return to neutral position and press the button you need to press. This is called input buffering. I don't know how long the tekken input buffer is, but it isn't terribly strict based on how much I've played.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

this is a really, really good resource, thank you

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

neutral guard will also fail to block certain moves entirely so its best to just pretend it doesnt exist most of the time

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies. I noticed some attacks were eating through the neutral guard, and since no guides mention it I figured it was kinda worthless but I had to ask :shobon: I'm not trying to guard and jab at the same time, but I guess it's a case of "oh poo poo oh poo poo" and pressing buttons too fast. I'll try to get better at using the input buffering! That's also some really good advice, Brosnan, and I'll try to keep it in mind! I still haven't gotten quite used to the back and forth rhythm or how fast the different opponents can attack so I totally fall into the "deer-in-headlights" mode you mention.

Of course, I'm also practicing in Tag Tournament 2 which has like 60 characters so just about every fight throws me a complete new opponent with a new moveset I haven't seen before. Tekken 7 can't come out soon enough :v:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
is there a good tekken vid database like https://keeponrock.in/ for guilty gear?

e: http://tekkendb.com/#/any/0/NONE/any/0/NONE/0/any/0 this is based off of the unib one but it looks like it hasn't updated in a while

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 23, 2017

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

it's not as easily searchable as keeponrock.in but the GreenTekken and BattleFinger youtube channels have a ton of high level korean tekken matches

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/user/Shudy7me/videos
this channel has japanese matches from namco's sugamo arcade as well

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Yas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Shudy7me/videos
this channel has japanese matches from namco's sugamo arcade as well

Just clicked a random vid, Bullet Club tshirt Akuma is too hype

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Anna mains are gay for the most part, so your "jerking off" argument doesn't really stand. And there are a lot of characters that people don't use in tournaments, like Nina, and she is super popular though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want to preorder this game but I can't decide between PC and PS4. I'm sure the PS4 community will be bigger but is there any idea whether the PC community will last or not?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Most goons who play Tekken with any degree of seriousness will probably be on PC.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm planning to get it on PC.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Arzachel posted:

Anna mains are gay for the most part, so your "jerking off" argument doesn't really stand. And there are a lot of characters that people don't use in tournaments, like Nina, and she is super popular though.

Alright.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Arzachel posted:

Is this some kind of entry for gooniest post of 2017?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's a c/p you fuckin goobers.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Brosnan posted:

I imagine you doing what your avatar is doing while reading posts like that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF7LA-sS3h4

This is a good follow-up to the Avoiding the Puddle video posted earlier. The overall message is pretty duh (you get better at the game by having more experience) but I still found it super helpful

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Been practicing with that Tekken 7 mod for PPSSPP. Missing a couple moves but it's a pain in the arse to check if i'm on the latest release because of how the team seem to have set up their homepage.

Oh well, only about a week to go, now it's a matter of deciding between the Deluxe Edition for £49.99 or the regular for £26.99. I wonder if the extra content justifies nearly double the price.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rookoo posted:

Been practicing with that Tekken 7 mod for PPSSPP. Missing a couple moves but it's a pain in the arse to check if i'm on the latest release because of how the team seem to have set up their homepage.

Oh well, only about a week to go, now it's a matter of deciding between the Deluxe Edition for £49.99 or the regular for £26.99. I wonder if the extra content justifies nearly double the price.

The what now? :aaa:
I tried looking it up but drat what a clusterfuck of pages and links. It looks pretty impressive but they really went out of their way to make it hard to figure out :psyduck:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Brosnan posted:

I'm retarded, please be patient

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Brosnan posted:

No poo poo.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Those videos are good so I put them at the top of the OP for new people, along with the top moves doc.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

The what now? :aaa:
I tried looking it up but drat what a clusterfuck of pages and links. It looks pretty impressive but they really went out of their way to make it hard to figure out :psyduck:

Yeah it's a bit janky but it's got rage arts and the slo mo thingy that's in T7 so it might be more useful for practice than TTT2. I actually found a working all in one package from a youtube video. Think it was called "Tekken Trux" or something if you want to look it up. It's a modded ISO so I dunno if it counts as :filez:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm getting it on PS4 initially because that's what my crew is all getting it on but I will eventually grab a PC copy to play as well to play with goons

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is there any reason to buy the deluxe edition? Have they even detailed exactly what you're going to get, or are they still being vague as hell?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Renoistic posted:

Is there any reason to buy the deluxe edition? Have they even detailed exactly what you're going to get, or are they still being vague as hell?

Vague, I wouldn't bother.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

They have, sorta, but it's basically all the season pass content. If you're not a diehard completionist, there's no reason not to wait for the character announcements and stuff before you decide on any DLC.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Cool, thanks guys.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Brosnan posted:

If the surprise game mode is Tekken Ball I'm gonna JF S Harada's D.

I don't think it'll happen but if it was online dear god it'd be incredible

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
i pre-ordered tekken

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are there any details on the single-player content for this game? I saw some screenshots that give me a lot of hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Played a bit at MCM earlier today. It's fun but boy howdy am I bad at fighting games. Nina might be my go-to if I get it going forward.