Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yuzenn posted:

TBH if they banned polymorph and reweave, the problem with Baral is you can just timer someone soooo easily. I've probably won more games that way then I have whipping out Emrakul. He's a 2 mana engine that allows some serious card advantage on the SUPER cheap. Nevinyrrals Disk or Oblivion Stone + Academy Ruins with a resolved Jace = stall forever

The problem is that banning him means that the more long game decks will dominate and you might as well play Momir if you wanna see huge creatures swing at each other all day. Or everyone will just play Tasigur or Mini Jace.

Yeah, I really think they need to go to 20 life. 30 is too much to ever get under these decks. Getting rid of Polymorph at least stops turn 2 Baral, counter your removal spell, loot away Emrakul if I need to, turn 3 Polymorph lol. Like the deck I've been playing with goes into the long game pretty well against Baral but suddenly Emrakul. And since they always have a hand full of counters it's not like you can stop it. Changing to best of 3 instead of just 1 game would also help with that kind of thing.

Jace seems a lot less oppressive than Baral. Only looting once or twice is a huge change over essentially looting every time you cast a spell. Tasigur probably needs to go too. You can just always cast him for 1.

Interestingly enough I think banning Strip Mine outright kills any non-blue deck in the current format. Also I just realized they left all the tutors in. :tif:

C-Euro posted:

Yeah DTT is a sweet card that was unfortunately printed with a really broken mechanic that makes it banworthy.

What mechanic has gotten the most cards banned, either directly (cards with that mechanic printed on them) or indirectly? It's gotta be Storm right?

Affinity got like 10 cards banned or something. Storm is like 7/8? I'm guessing Twister effects wouldn't need to be banned in legacy if storm didn't exist.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

C-Euro posted:

What mechanic has gotten the most cards banned, either directly (cards with that mechanic printed on them) or indirectly? It's gotta be Storm right?

Ante.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think free spells probably trump both of those

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Manual dexterity, the true nemesis of magic players everywhere.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Manual dexterity, the true nemesis of magic players everywhere.

Rip top

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're conflating mechanics. Ante was the rule where you bet cards on the outcome of a game. And there were like nine cards total that cared about it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez how did I forget Affinity.

Wizards please stop trying to print cost-reduction mechanics, or at playtest them way more first.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They did entirely fine with Improvise, didn't they?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Siivola posted:

They did entirely fine with Improvise, didn't they?

That's a mechanic?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Can't you play telemin performance or bribery or something? Too slow?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Convoke didn't seem too broken either

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I haven't played the format, but Baral decks play like 40 counters.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

AceClown posted:

Convoke didn't seem too broken either

You still have to tap something in order to use convoke. Just pretend your creatures are extra lands when you pay a mana cost with convoke.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

You're conflating mechanics. Ante was the rule where you bet cards on the outcome of a game. And there were like nine cards total that cared about it.

I know what ante is, I was naming another old dead mechanic. It's a Chaos Orb joke.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

By about 5 turns, yeah. You need a Boseiju or Cavern + Teferi or something to go with it and then why aren't you just going infinite somehow? Which reminds me:

Does any one creature in RUG colors go infinite with Saheeli?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Does any one creature in RUG colors go infinite with Saheeli?
Uhh. Play Clever Impersonator without having it copy anything, clone it with Saheeli and turn the clone into Saheeli?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Zemyla posted:

A lot of the creatures you get seem to stop a lot of the combo kills you could do. But just use the ability Titan of Eternal Fire grants, since all the Humans you control have haste, and you certainly have more than 20 of them.

Your own burning tree shaman would kill you without first activating abilities that gain you a lot of life. Tree of redemption I guess ??

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Your own burning tree shaman would kill you without first activating abilities that gain you a lot of life. Tree of redemption I guess ??

you have multiple creatures that can sac shaman for free

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Siivola posted:

Uhh. Play Clever Impersonator without having it copy anything, clone it with Saheeli and turn the clone into Saheeli?

I can't tell if this is a troll post or not so I'll go with yes it is.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Remembering rules like "0 toughness creatures die" is hard okay.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Siivola posted:

uuuuhhh there's a gaea's anthem in play, or: a wizard did it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Siivola posted:

Even if there's an anthem or something that doesn't actually do anything. It just makes a bunch of Saheelis that all die.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

you have multiple creatures that can sac shaman for free

you also have angel of jubilation though

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay yeah that part was a troll answer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bonus posted:

you also have angel of jubilation though

you can tap something to destroy angel, i'm guessing you'd use avatar of woe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can tap something to destroy angel, i'm guessing you'd use avatar of woe

You have an avacyn

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
fuuuuuck

Surly Duff
May 6, 2007

Surly only looks out for one guy -- Surly.
Mangara the angel, I don't think anything gives all of your stuff shroud.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Shauku Endbringer is a much more stylish answer to the Angel imo. And you don't even lose life!

Or Drana like I said above.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Surly Duff posted:

Mangara the angel, I don't think anything gives all of your stuff shroud.

Kira, and if like the comments of the article were talking about you activate mirror entity there are several elves, snakes, and crystalline sliver to deal with as well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Easy answer: Mirror Entity for -5 and let Zulaport Cutthroat et al do the work.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Yeah DTT is a sweet card that was unfortunately printed with a really broken mechanic that makes it banworthy.

Conspiracy, I'd assume, but I'm guessing that's not really what you mean.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Easy answer: Mirror Entity for -5 and let Zulaport Cutthroat et al do the work.

you can't spend negative mana on mirror entity. And even if you did, all your creatures get like +15/+15 from every lord suddenly counting.

e: also this:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2017

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
+

should be the win

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

I haven't played the format, but Baral decks play like 40 counters.

I play the deck and yes 5-mana sorceries are food for me to guzzle down in my lust to dig for polymorphs.

You're thinking Extract, if you're lucky and can sneak it in.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How many creatures have some form of other creatures can't attack? (not that it really matters in this exercise, since there's probably a 100 ways to kill someone without attacking).

Like Dormant Sliver gives all slivers defender which plays hell with Mirror Entity, while Akron Legionairre, Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore and Magus of the Moat and probably a bunch of others gently caress with going wide unless you mirror entity.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bugsy posted:

Kira, and if like the comments of the article were talking about you activate mirror entity there are several elves, snakes, and crystalline sliver to deal with as well.

Kira doesn't give shroud she just counters one ability.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is there a creature with Cursed Totem's text on it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A big flaming stink posted:

is there a creature with Cursed Totem's text on it?

Closest you're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

How many creatures have some form of other creatures can't attack? (not that it really matters in this exercise, since there's probably a 100 ways to kill someone without attacking).

Like Dormant Sliver gives all slivers defender which plays hell with Mirror Entity, while Akron Legionairre, Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore and Magus of the Moat and probably a bunch of others gently caress with going wide unless you mirror entity.

Please don't mention Evil Eye of Orms-by-gore I just had a vicious Momir flashback