Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Guardian posted:

Theresa May was repeatedly told that cuts to community policing could harm Greater Manchester police’s ability to combat crimes such as terrorism, according to the force’s former police commissioner.

Tony Lloyd, the Labour police commissioner who stood down from a five-year tenure on 9 May, said he “constantly” raised the issue of cuts to police numbers and told the then home secretary that it could cut off a flow of intelligence from local communities.

Lloyd told the Guardian:

"The issue [of resources] has certainly been raised with government around counter-terrorism. You begin and end with any form of policing – whether it’s combating organised crime or terrorism with community policing.

I constantly raised the issue of resources with the home secretary to stop the cuts. The response that May has always given is that crime has gone down."

This is pretty loving damning.

It's a shame anyone actually pressing it would be destroyed in the press for 'politicising' the attack, to the point where even the Guardian has to keep it as a footnote on the live blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

GaussianCopula posted:

Have the increased security forces presence in the aftermath of an attack ever stopped an attack?

It's not like they could do anything against an actual terrorist anyway, given the their tactics. I guess it reassures the public or some poo poo.

Its to make people feel like the Government are doing something

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

Going?

Also we don't use the end word here.

Not even for Piers Morgan or Nick Griffin?

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 24, 2017

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Not even for Piers Morgan or Nick Griffin?

Why reach for a word that doesn't fit when oval office is so succinct and descriptive?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Namtab posted:

Ah, but who does the voting?

My vote for Tony Blair didn't cause an otherwise normal person to suicide bomb the fans (and parents of fans) of American pop sensation Ariana Grande.

At some point in that chain of events between the two is something sick, deranged and flat out unacceptable to a normal human being.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Total Meatlove posted:

Why reach for a word that doesn't fit when oval office is so succinct and descriptive?

We used to not do gendered insults here either.

Better times.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It isn't really a gendered insult in the UK imo, rude thought it is.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Do it ironically posted:

It might be an extremist view, but heck I'll share it, I think blowing up children is an act that isn't defensible regardless of what your Al Qaida connected father tells you.

We could make a cool jingle out of this:

Un-der-staaaanding the cauuuses of things/does not mean you approoooove~

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

My vote for Tony Blair didn't cause an otherwise normal person to suicide bomb the fans (and parents of fans) of American pop sensation Ariana Grande.

At some point in that chain of events between the two is something sick, deranged and flat out unacceptable to a normal human being.

You not being able to understand what might motivate a suicide bomber doesn't make them some sort of living embodiment of chaos theory.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Total Meatlove posted:

Lacking the warmth and depth, yadda yadda yadda.

sassassin posted:

And yet it happened and a key point that ISIS recruiters and the like use is European and USAs invasions of other countries, subjecting their children to bombings and shootings and all manner of terrible experiences, while the West just keep on living their lives. The Iraq war was on false pretenses and hurt potentially millions of innocents for no good reason. Taking those facts and using it to justify more civilian casualties is atrocious but effective so unless you want to justify why we invaded and continue to support repressive regimes in the region I think you'll have to agree that changing our political and social culture to view that as a bad thing that we should never do again would help them and us immensely.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

namesake posted:

Lacking the warmth and depth, yadda yadda yadda.

And yet it happened and a key point that ISIS recruiters and the like use is European and USAs invasions of other countries, subjecting their children to bombings and shootings and all manner of terrible experiences, while the West just keep on living their lives. The Iraq war was on false pretenses and hurt potentially millions of innocents for no good reason. Taking those facts and using it to justify more civilian casualties is atrocious but effective so unless you want to justify why we invaded and continue to support repressive regimes in the region I think you'll have to agree that changing our political and social culture to view that as a bad thing that we should never do again would help them and us immensely.

Yeah but Saddam had sarin gas and smallpox didn't he?

edit: the above post is sarcasm i have to make this clear

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

We used to not do gendered insults here either.

Better times.

No, gently caress off with this. We're not American, oval office is not a gendered insult, it's not an insult because it's also a slang term for vagina. It's entirely about the way sounds. About the way you can spit it out, it's word that conveys genuine venom. Besides, my mam told me it's not a gendered insult & she'd skelp me if I was being even vaguely sexist so gently caress off, I'm still calling cunts cunts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mentalists are always going to find excuses to blow something up.

Our foreign policy is not to blame for Tony Blair.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sassassin posted:

Yes, he's called Tony Blair.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

sassassin posted:

I'm presuming by "normal human being" you mean "modern briton who has never been to an actual, literal war zone, where friends and family have personally experienced being shelled"?

I mean, go back to WW2, where more than a few downed plane pilots met mysterious accidents some time between landing in the territory they'd just been bombing (or supporting the bombing of) and being put in a prison camp.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

'member when an UKMT regular suggested that the video of a nail being pulled out of a girl's foot wasn't evidence(along with all the rest) of a terrorist bombing because it was possible someone had just stepped on a nail that had been lying around?

Or when somebody unironically suggested that this was a false flag by British intelligence to stop are Jezza?

Just to be clear, are there any 'balloon popping truthers' left or has the thread come to a consensus?

That was one guy. Who said sorry about a minute later. So yes I do remember. And I don't think people not wanting it to be a terrorist attack is particularly damning.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

forkboy84 posted:

No, gently caress off with this. We're not American, oval office is not a gendered insult, it's not an insult because it's also a slang term for vagina. It's entirely about the way sounds. About the way you can spit it out, it's word that conveys genuine venom. Besides, my mam told me it's not a gendered insult & she'd skelp me if I was being even vaguely sexist so gently caress off, I'm still calling cunts cunts.

oval office is an insult with a real guttural sound behind it like gently caress

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

sassassin posted:

I think you got the second bit backward? :confused:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hate that people are politicising our wars.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I'm still calling cunts cunts.

What a cuntish thing to say

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sassassin posted:

Guess we'd better get all the police and army off the streets then because apparently it's foolish to try and prevent these things?

Sure the reasoning and logic behind such ideologies is twisting the facts at best and often relates more to cultural alienation and reaction to their personal oppression but hey it'd be a really good idea to solve those problems as well! In the meantime, let's not give them such facts to twist!

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

This 'turn brain off, bury head in sand' attitude isn't helpful.

It's vital to try and understand the motivations of those driven to violence or to support extremist groups in order to develop effective policy.

Not everyone involved in ISIS and similar groups has mental issues and it's unproductive to assume they do and to assume that those issues are the sole and entire reason they carry out acts of violence.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

Compare how many Islamist attacks there were before the Iraq war and how many there have been since. "Mentalists", as you call them, weren't walking into concert halls wearing nail-and-explosive jackets beforehand.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lobster God posted:

This 'turn brain off, bury head in sand' attitude isn't helpful.

It's vital to try and understand the motivations of those driven to violence or to support extremist groups in order to develop effective policy.

Not everyone involved in ISIS and similar groups has mental issues and it's unproductive to assume they do and to assume that those issues are the sole and entire reason they carry out acts of violence.

It seems pretty unreliable to assume that mental health is all that's caused things, either. There've been depressed people for thousands of years, and many of them angry, and they weren't generally blowing up buses. You don't have the infrastructure for terrorism without the global issues western foreign policy has caused.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Regarde Aduck posted:

That was one guy. Who said sorry about a minute later. So yes I do remember. And I don't think people not wanting it to be a terrorist attack is particularly damning.

It was multiple people, and it was really weird. Also the immediate jump to "..but this will be bad for Jeremy's campaign!" was pretty distasteful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

Pretty sure dismissing every suicide bomber as a mentalist is a completely worthless contribution.

TheRat posted:

What a cuntish thing to say

Thank you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are terrorists? We just don't know.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

It was multiple people, and it was really weird. Also the immediate jump to "..but this will be bad for Jeremy's campaign!" was pretty distasteful.

It's going to be bad for progressive politics in general, nobody's concerned Jeremy's going to get his feelings hurt. We're concerned that this is going to lead to people lynching muslims or support for state deportation programs or something, because politics actually matters and isn't a dumb team sport where one side wins one summer then nothing important happens to it for the next four years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

Yeah no this is just nonsense

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Eh, I was away from the board that evening but we didn't actually know people were dead immediately. And while you're not wrong that there's something very cynical about "this is bad for the election", we're a bunch of broken pricks who pay far too much attention to politics so of course it's a thought that comes to mind. It's not a pleasant initial reaction but I can see it being a natural one.

It's not an argument I'd personally make, but there is truth that 5 more years of Tory government are a likely outcome of an attack like this because Labour are seen as weak on crime, on terror and such like, and 5 more years of Tory government will lead to a lot more than just the 22 tragic deaths that occurred on Monday because of their cuts to social services, benefits, the health service, pensions & so forth. And some people here had actually started believing Labour could have won.

I mean, how much time can pass from a bad event before you can start talking about the very real political consequences? Because it was always going to go that way eventually, what's the time limit? Like it or not, this poo poo does have an impact on elections, and the election we're holding in a couple of weeks will have lasting consequences for most of the people who post in this thread. So of course people will turn to think about those consequences. How it will impact the election, how it will impact

The thread the next morning didn't make for good reading even before the "ironic" racist gobshites from GBS floated over & wanked all over it with /pol level bigotry, but what happens when you chat about on going events in an irreverent manner when you don't yet no just how horrifically bad it was.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 24, 2017

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I can't believe people who think that aggressive western foreign policy might be responsible for terror attacks against innocent civilians are concerned that a terror attack might embolden support for aggressive western foreign policy that might be responsible for terror attacks against innocent civilians.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sassassin posted:

My vote for Tony Blair didn't cause an otherwise normal person to suicide bomb

How many Islamic terror attacks did Britain suffer prior to Blair taking office?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, I was away from the board that evening but we didn't actually know people were dead immediately. And while you're not wrong that there's something very cynical about "this is bad for the election", we're a bunch of broken pricks who pay far too much attention to politics so of course it's a thought that comes to mind. It's not a pleasant initial reaction but I can see it being a natural one.

It's not an argument I'd personally make, but there is truth that 5 more years of Tory government are a likely outcome of an attack like this because Labour are seen as weak on crime, on terror and such like, and 5 more years of Tory government will lead to a lot more than just the 22 tragic deaths that occurred on Monday because of their cuts to social services, benefits, the health service, pensions & so forth. And some people here had actually started believing Labour could have won.

I mean, how much time can pass from a bad event before you can start talking about the very real political consequences? Because it was always going to go that way eventually, what's the time limit?

Two days:

quote:

“The British people are united in their resolve that terror will not prevail. It will not prevent us going about our daily lives or derail our democratic process. Resuming democratic debate and campaigning is an essential mark of the country’s determination to defend our democracy and the unity that the terrorists have sought to attack".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Honestly while I understand and appreciate the intent of a desire to not politicise attacks, it's basically impossible because violence is inherently political. The important thing is to be looking after victims and people affected, which, while these days is a pretty big net given how everyone gets to see blood spatter within seconds of it happening, I generally assume doesn't include people who've showed up to a political thread to weigh in to the subject.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sassassin posted:

There is no inherent difference between you and a radicalised person. The evidence does not agree, at all, that people who commit acts of violence are any more likely to have mental illnesses or personality disorders than the general pop. The mentally ill are less likely.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

namesake posted:

why we invaded and continue to support repressive regimes in the region

This kind of stuff is why 'foreign policy causes terrorism' is simultaneously true, and also weasel-worded bullshit.

foreign policy is a meaninglessly large category. Even focusing on Libya, which seems to be this guys issue, it still says zero. It may well be that Blair's foreign policy of supporting Gadaffis repressive regime that trigger d him. Or it may be Cameron's of invading, or May's of doing little or nothing, Putin's of bombing the gently caress out of everyone, or whatever Trump is up to this week.

Or maybe it was something done in the 1930s, or the 19c.

Foreign policy causes terrorism, yes. But there really isn't a foreign policy that doesn't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

radmonger posted:

This kind of stuff is why 'foreign policy causes terrorism' is simultaneously true, and also weasel-worded bullshit.

foreign policy is a meaninglessly large category. Even focusing on Libya, which seems to be this guys issue, it still says zero. It may well be that Blair's foreign policy of supporting Gadaffis repressive regime that trigger d him. Or it may be Cameron's of invading, or May's of doing little or nothing, Putin's of bombing the gently caress out of everyone, or whatever Trump is up to this week.

Or maybe it was something done in the 1930s, or the 19c.

Foreign policy causes terrorism, yes. But there really isn't a foreign policy that doesn't.

lol jog on you loving idiot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Domestic policy causes terrorism. There's a reason that almost all terrorists are either native converts or second generation immigrants.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

No it was one person. Jabby. He said sorry.

As for the election, what you say is distasteful I think is honesty. 22 people I don't know died. It's bad but are you still upset? I know I'm not. There's basic empathy and then there's melodrama. On the other hand this may have a real impact on the election. Which could mean 5 years of Tory rule. 5 more years of cuts, the return of fox hunting, lax environmental regulation, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer - this time with direct attacks on the middle class because I guess they were hoarding too much wealth that belongs to the top 0.01%. 5 years of a government that may very well make many people's lives borderline unlivable is not unimportant. If you want to put it in perspective using deaths, consider how many people might have committed suicide these next 5 years because of decisions made by a Tory government. If it goes over 22 does it become suddenly relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.gusthefox.com/2017/02/top-cunts-gangs-of-edl-in-case-you-were.html?spref=tw&m=1

• Locked thread