Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

radmonger posted:

This kind of stuff is why 'foreign policy causes terrorism' is simultaneously true, and also weasel-worded bullshit.

foreign policy is a meaninglessly large category. Even focusing on Libya, which seems to be this guys issue, it still says zero. It may well be that Blair's foreign policy of supporting Gadaffis repressive regime that trigger d him. Or it may be Cameron's of invading, or May's of doing little or nothing, Putin's of bombing the gently caress out of everyone, or whatever Trump is up to this week.

Or maybe it was something done in the 1930s, or the 19c.

Foreign policy causes terrorism, yes. But there really isn't a foreign policy that doesn't.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, your theory amounts to "Throw our hands up because Islamic terrorism is just fated to happen, c'est la vie."

(e): The Horten Ho 229 was a prototype fighter-bomber designed for the Luftwaffe until the fate of all fascists befell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Foreign policy's a factor but I reckon since all our recent terrorists are homegrown the problem might be rooted just as much in our domestic policy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

Foreign policy's a factor but I reckon since all our recent terrorists are homegrown the problem might be rooted just as much in our domestic policy.

It is probably both.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
foreign policy is definitely a factor.

how many islamic extremist committed acts of terrror did the uk see before we invaded iraq and afghanistan ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

I'm presuming by "normal human being" you mean "modern briton who has never been to an actual, literal war zone, where friends and family have personally experienced being shelled"?

...is this what happened to the Manchester Arena bomber?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also domestic terroism supports the aim of the ruling military and capitalist classes who want to perpetuate the never-ending war on terror.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I mean if he did visit Libya and his parents fled from there, probably?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Yes?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Things are getting bad.

I think the government is over reacting badly.

The UK has a historical antipathy to seeing armed soldiers in public, even soldiers wearing their uniforms off duty.

Some people date this back to the Civil War. I have my doubts about that. I think it comes from the 19th century use of the army to keep the industrial Working Class under control. You can see this by the creation of barracks in all the industrial centres of the UK during this time. Peterloo was not a tragic accident- it was a lesson.

They were still teaching that lesson at Orgreave, but at least they realised using the army was a step too far

General China fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 24, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pissflaps posted:

He visited Libya, so yes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

No it was one person. Jabby. He said sorry.

Did he? I thought that was Pocochio.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pissflaps posted:

Did he? I thought that was Pocochio.

It was me, yes. The idea was really stupid (what I actually thought was "hmmm maybe the Saudis want to ensure a Tory win to keep getting arms deals") but at the time somehow it made sense, I tend to overreact to events like these

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

It was me, yes. The idea was really stupid (what I actually thought was "hmmm maybe the Saudis want to ensure a Tory win to keep getting arms deals") but at the time somehow it made sense, I tend to overreact to events like these

Yes you apologised for suggesting it might be a Tory backed 'false flag' operation.

I'm unsure if Jabby has apologised yet.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

No it was one person. Jabby. He said sorry.

As for the election, what you say is distasteful I think is honesty. 22 people I don't know died. It's bad but are you still upset? I know I'm not. There's basic empathy and then there's melodrama. On the other hand this may have a real impact on the election. Which could mean 5 years of Tory rule. 5 more years of cuts, the return of fox hunting, lax environmental regulation, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer - this time with direct attacks on the middle class because I guess they were hoarding too much wealth that belongs to the top 0.01%. 5 years of a government that may very well make many people's lives borderline unlivable is not unimportant. If you want to put it in perspective using deaths, consider how many people might have committed suicide these next 5 years because of decisions made by a Tory government. If it goes over 22 does it become suddenly relevant?

The nail/foot thing wasn't me, neither was the false flag comment.

As for talking politics being 'distateful' knox-harrington, I find it distasteful that more than thirty refugees, many of them children, drowned or were shot trying to escape to Europe today. And guess what? Nobody gives a poo poo because they weren't white and they weren't British.

Of course things hit closer to home when it happens in your country. But there is a reason we are encouraged to have paroxysms of grief over the death of one of 'our' children and feel complete indifference when it's one of 'theirs', and it's because it suits a political purpose. So no, when a deeply political act of violence happens we absolutely shouldn't shut up about politics because we're meant to be sad instead.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Theresa May’s Police Cuts Exposed By Manchester Bombing Army Deployment - Police Federation

quote:

Theresa May’s dramatic deployment of troops in the wake of the Manchester bombing has laid bare Tory police cuts, the leader of the Police Federation has declared.

Hundreds of soldiers were ordered onto the streets on Wednesday and given a very visible role in defending the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street and Buckingham Palace.

But Steve White, who represents rank and file officers across the country, said that the Tory squeeze on resources was underlined by the Prime Minister’s decision to draft in the Army to protect the landmark sites.

White, who chairs the Police Federation of England and Wales, said that the use of the Army was a “significant step change in keeping the public safe”.

“There is no ignoring the fact that we, the police, simply do not have the resources to manage an event like this on our own,” he said.

His complaint was backed up by an anonymous officer who wrote on Facebook that the use of the Army showed how the police were “desperately understaffed”.

Some 20,000 police jobs have been cut since the Conservatives came to power in 2010 and budgets slashed by around 4% every year when May was Home Secretary.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/867449988707741700

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lt. Danger posted:

Yes, he's called Tony Blair.

That was the joke, thanks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
All this about police cuts being exposed is great, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it would have helped - didn't they deem him as a low risk? Would it have changed if they had more surveillance/intelligence people available? It's really drat hard to stop some determined guy going into a public building and detonating a suicide bomb, no matter how many police you have, so I guess the real failure here was risk assessment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

All this about police cuts being exposed is great, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it would have helped - didn't they deem him as a low risk? Would it have changed if they had more surveillance/intelligence people available? It's really drat hard to stop some determined guy going into a public building and detonating a suicide bomb, no matter how many police you have, so I guess the real failure here was risk assessment?

It probably wouldn't have helped much but it's an excuse to berate the tories about police cuts which is a good thing. Police can't stop unpredictable acts of individual violence but they are still important and part of making them work is funding them properly.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

To armchair psychologist for a bit, a domestic social system which alienates members to the periphery will always cause those members to search for alternative identities which give them a sense of belonging or meaning. This desire can be benign or incredibly harmful based on the particular circumstances; in this case Muslims from a north African or middle eastern background. Faced with isolation or outright discrimination from western society they search for meaning from their religion or non-European heritage and sadly either of those avenues is likely to bring them into contact with 'authentic' movements which call for violent terrorism against the West. Their argument is strengthened by taking these dejected individuals personal experiences and contrasting them with the Wests foreign activities, namely colonialism, invasion and support of dictatorships, to convince them that there is a clash of civilisations taking place and that either white/Western supremacy or islamic supremacy must triumph. Since they have already been rejected by the West they feel they must align themselves with the only other choice and in this situation of total war, potentially murder innocents and die in the process.

This explains why these acts are usually fundamentalist converts from a European background (although their adherence to Islam is really just a random chance thing, they could easily become fascists instead) or second generation immigrants, who find themselves hearing about the place their parents came from but they themselves have no direct experiences of and so are not able to discern between what the every day person in those places actually believes or would act like if they were to move to Europe and what the extremists get them to think is appropriate.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

dispatch_async posted:

No one just wakes up one day as a police man. They are recruited, taught and groomed from the poor, the sick the bullied and the desperate and yes sometimes the stupid and cruel

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There a big difference between taking your children onto a boat to make a dangerous journey that you know many people have died doing before you, and taking your children to a chuffing pop concert.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

There a big difference between taking your children onto a boat to make a dangerous journey that you know many people have died doing before you, and taking your children to a chuffing pop concert.

Well yes, you do the former because if you don't there seems a reasonable chance the British will bomb you.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

A lot of the police cuts were to support staff, who'd be the ones performing things like risk assessments.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, your theory amounts to "Throw our hands up because Islamic terrorism is just fated to happen, c'est la vie."

Nah all I am trying to say is if you are going to blame things on foreign policy, be specific.

Say something that could be right, or could be wrong, depending on the facts. Or, if you don't know, say so.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

radmonger posted:

Nah all I am trying to say is if you are going to blame things on foreign policy, be specific.

Say something that could be right, or could be wrong, depending on the facts. Or, if you don't know, say so.

bombing the gently caress out of the middle east for 15 years, destroying the leadership and infrastructure of at least 3 countries causing millions of deaths and millions more refugees.

how's that for starters you stupid little idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

British interventionism in the middle east destabilizes the region and provides the parent organizations which recruit people to do things like this. British domestic policy disenfranchises and isolates people making them seek fulfillment in associating with said organizations while eroding whatever buy in they might otherwise have had to British society.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pochoclo posted:

One or more of the 20,000 or so police staff sacked since 2010 might well have been of some help- like the anonymous cop linked above said, so much has been lost in behind the scenes roles. If the guy was already on the radar, it may sadly be a case where enough bits of the jigsaw were there to guess the picture was dodgy but there was no-one there to gather everything up and look.

sassassin posted:

Mentalists are always going to find excuses to blow something up.

Kindly don't drop ableist comments, especially when a person suffering from mental illness is significantly less likely to be violent and far more likely to be a subject of violence, thanks in advance.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Are we all agreed that we need more police officers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Better funded ones likely wouldn't hurt, you don't get people good at their jobs by overworking and underpaying them. And given that the police were invented to stop the government sending the army to massacre people I think they're quite important in practice even if they're bastards.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

learnincurve posted:

The former certainly implies that you have led a far more difficult and unpleasant life up to that point, but I'm not getting why it makes their deaths significantly less tragic.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

bombing the gently caress out of the middle east for 15 years, destroying the leadership and infrastructure of at least 3 countries causing millions of deaths and millions more refugees.

how's that for starters you stupid little idiot.

Hold on here.

The RAF have a proud tradition of dropping bombs on Iraq going on a lot longer than 15 years.

They were dropping bombs in exactly the same place 90 years ago. It did them good then and it's doing them good now.

Or else why would they do it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't think the guy on the radio was so much saying that the foreign policy of invading the countries that some Muslim immigrants stem from causes radicalisation so much from the fact of the invasion itself. It's the alienation that results in British Muslims, an already badly stigmatised group, when their families, friends and heritage in that country are described in papers and in the news as the enemy, are dehumanised and their suffering and deaths minimised.

You've just come back from visiting your nan abroad and suddenly your government is blithely bombing the city she lives in and designating the people they kill there, who you were chatting with last week, enemy combatants. The tabloids are gloating about our boys' glorious victories and printing breathless dating profiles on the weapons killing your family, while at the same time demonising your community at home in the UK, your religion, your family traditions, and to top it blaming you for the whole lot for not being "British" enough, never mind that you grew up in the Wirral and speak English at home in that horrible whining accent those unfortunates born on Merseyside all have. How connected with British Values, whatever they are this week, are you going to feel?

Now clearly none of that justifies going out and murdering innocent people, which is likely why practically nobody does that. But I can certainly feel a certain empathy, and even sympathy, for young people who have been so rejected by the culture they are told it is their responsibility to integrate into that they seek a new identity and sense of belonging wherever they can find it.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Pissflaps posted:

I think we need different police officers.

The ones doing the job at the moment aren't that good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes, you do the former because if you don't there seems a reasonable chance the British will bomb you.

It's Ok to feel empathy for the people who were effected by the bombing in Manchester. It was horrific and wrong and this does not get cancelled out by all of the other horrific and wrong things going on in the world today. 30,000 children are starving in Myanama camps because their own government is restricting the distribution of aid, we can feel sorry for them too.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It's Ok to feel empathy for the people who were effected by the bombing in Manchester. It was horrific and wrong and this does not get cancelled out by all of the other horrific and wrong things going on in the world today. 30,000 children are starving in Myanama camps because their own government is restricting the distribution of aid, we can feel sorry for them too.

The difference is that no-one berates you for not publicly displaying enough emotion about the children of Myanmar, or labels it 'distasteful' or 'disrespectful' if you want to discuss the potential political implications/solutions.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

Better funded ones likely wouldn't hurt, you don't get people good at their jobs by overworking and underpaying them. And given that the police were invented to stop the government sending the army to massacre people I think they're quite important in practice even if they're bastards.

Most front line police I see are PCSOs and I'd probably feel a bit better seeing more actual police than part-timers. The funding issue has always been a problem, and one of the myriad reasons other forces riot squads were sent to London during the riots was because The Met's numbers and kit were woefully inadequate and out of date. Course when my dad was grandfathered out on retirement from SO12, a forward thinking police service would have brought him back (at reduced salary) as a civilian support worker but no, take your pension and your twenty years experience and get the gently caress out

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jabby posted:

The difference is that no-one berates you for not publicly displaying enough emotion about the children of Myanmar, or labels it 'distasteful' or 'disrespectful' if you want to discuss the potential political implications/solutions.

The Phillipines had a city captured by ISIS (or an ISIS-allied cell or whatever you want to call it) and so far this has been news to literally everyone I've told it to despite the fact that you'd think "ISIS captured a city a million miles away" would be rather surprising.

Also if the middle east didn't have multiple massive power vacuums caused by the west invading it and then failing to rebuild it after then there wouldn't be places for organisations like ISIS to fill. Also not training tons of them before loving off would've also helped. This is directly related to the UK's foreign policy. That said it's equally dumb to think that nothing that happens to people domestically affects them either, but I suspect you'd have more people joining gangs than trying to blow people up if we hadn't left an "organisation that likes to blow people up" shaped hole in multiple societies a few decades prior.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

The Phillipines had a city captured by ISIS (or an ISIS-allied cell or whatever you want to call it) and so far this has been news to literally everyone I've told it to despite the fact that you'd think "ISIS captured a city a million miles away" would be rather surprising.

Wait what how the hell did they get to the Philippines?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Air Force One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

It's not strictly ISIS

• Locked thread