Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
They renewed Macgyver? Jesus christ CBS you never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does H. Jon Benjamin use the same voice/kind of dopey character in literally every show he's ever done or has he ever tried to mix it up a bit? I've seen Archer, some of Dr. Katz, enough of Bob's Burgers to make me turn it off, his appearances in ATHF and Family Guy, and I'm binge-watching Home Movies on Adult Swim's Animation Marathon right now having never really seen more than one or two episodes and it's all the same.

Maybe it's because his voice is distinctive, but he's probably the easiest-to-identify voice I've ever heard without seeing his face.

e- I mean, Archer even had fun with it with the season premiere in which he thinks he's Bob.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 24, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does H. Jon Benjamin use the same voice/kind of dopey character in literally every show he's ever done or has he ever tried to mix it up a bit?

All the voices he does in Bob's Burgers besides Bob (like Jimmy Pesto Jr., Ms. LaBonz, etc.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you need to do other voices when your regular voice is so perfect

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Croatoan posted:

They renewed Macgyver? Jesus christ CBS you never change.

Any interest I had in CBS reboots ended when we had a four minute Subway infomercial in the middle of an episode of Hawaii Five-0 in which the big guy with the shrimp food truck literally had a line of dialogue saying something like "These five-dollah footlongs have been helpin' my weight, braddah!".

less laughter posted:

All the voices he does in Bob's Burgers besides Bob (like Jimmy Pesto Jr., Ms. LaBonz, etc.)

I never knew that, though I haven't seen more than a couple episodes. I literally just now heard him in a different-sounding voice for the first time ever (he was yelling for a timeout in a soccer game only to find you can't do that).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jason is him in Home Movies as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Jon Benjamin has a bit of range, it's just that his normal speaking voice is the golden honey of God Almighty himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would you need to do other voices when your regular voice is so perfect

This.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More TV shows should have jump scares. Just started watching the original Twin Peaks and it's really good at jump scares out of nowhere.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

More TV shows should have jump scares. Just started watching the original Twin Peaks and it's really good at jump scares out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7xIicAfWI

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

I never knew that, though I haven't seen more than a couple episodes. I literally just now heard him in a different-sounding voice for the first time ever (he was yelling for a timeout in a soccer game only to find you can't do that).
It's a great show, you should give it another try. It takes a few episodes to hit its stride.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bob's Burgers s1 is by far the worst, imo. The extra levels of crude just came off to me as infantile. Rest of the show rules, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Get Down has been canceled. Not a big surprise what with the rumors of ballooning costs and delayed production.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sucks, it was a good show. Even Hemlock Grove got like 3 years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still haven't watched Part 2 but this isn't terribly surprising. Still a bummer, that was like my third favorite show last year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently part of the reason was Baz Luhrmann having to take off for a movie commitment.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've only seen to the end of episode 10 but that's a bit of a bummer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It should've just been called Get Down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm 8 minutes into ep 5 of 12 Monkeys s3, and I'm pretty sure it's the best episode of the show...

(So far)

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Does 12 Monkeys get better after the first couple of episodes? I watched maybe the first 5 or so when it first came out, but never got super into it and stopped watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It gets better about halfway through season 1, and then season 2 it gets really good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show really comes into its own in season 2 when they start having more people time travel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was a CW show because everyone was so ridiculously attractive and young. Exact opposite of the movie where everything is grimey and ugly, except for Brad Pitt and Madeleine Stowe.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought it was a CW show because everyone was so ridiculously attractive and young. Exact opposite of the movie where everything is grimey and ugly, except for Brad Pitt and Madeleine Stowe.

One of the 5 main characters is a 67-year-old German lady

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one with the goggle/glasses? She's hot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yeah she's like a German Helen Mirren.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People are attractive these days. I can walk down my local and throw a rock at good looking people, i often do it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And getting a rock thrown in their face makes them less attractive, so the problem solves itself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

People are attractive these days. I can walk down my local and throw a rock at good looking people, i often do it.
Maybe if you live in NY or LA.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

And getting a rock thrown in their face makes them less attractive, so the problem solves itself.

They carry nice stuff.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe if you live in NY or LA.

Straya!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

it's true

except me, i'm fat

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair a lot of the cast early on is from a CW show. Specifically, Nikita.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Not just cast but writers and production too.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

How big a percentage of the Get Down's budget do you think all three seasons of Hemlock Grove would be? I'm guessing less than 50%.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

How big a percentage of the Get Down's budget do you think all three seasons of Hemlock Grove would be? I'm guessing less than 50%.

Apparently the first season of Hemlock Grove cost ~$45 million. Budget was cut for the following two, but I imagine that'd still clock in over $100m.

So more than 50%, but not that much more.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a lot of abz-grease and hair gel.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mulva posted:

To be fair a lot of the cast early on is from a CW show. Specifically, Nikita.

Ohhh, that's where I knew that dude from. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eezee posted:

Ohhh, that's where I knew that dude from. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Taste the Rainbow.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Caught up with the latest season of New Girl. My favorite pure comedy I think. It's not avant garde or anything but it serves a steady slice of great jokes and fun characters, with the possible exception of Season 3. Really satisfying season finale too. I don't know why more people in here don't talk about it.

edit:

muscles like this! posted:

The Get Down has been canceled. Not a big surprise what with the rumors of ballooning costs and delayed production.

gently caress

This was my favorite Netflix production. Don't tell me they cancelled this and Marco Polo gets another season.

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently part of the reason was Baz Luhrmann having to take off for a movie commitment.

The show got better without his EPing in Part 2. Shawn Ryan really finetuned the formula of the show.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shageletic posted:

This was my favorite Netflix production. Don't tell me they cancelled this and Marco Polo gets another season.

They cancelled Marco Polo six months ago.

• Locked thread