Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Testikles posted:

I read it. I'm just saying he's acting like the New Testament exists in a vacuum. Jesus might have said that the things he said were the new rules, but people frequently go back to the Old Testament when they need a reason for something. The two testaments even come in the same book after all.

I have no comment on the book of Mormon.

Let me put so goons understand.

Jesus's teachings and the new testament is God's release day patch notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Testikles posted:

I read it. I'm just saying he's acting like the New Testament exists in a vacuum. Jesus might have said that the things he said were the new rules, but people frequently go back to the Old Testament when they need a reason for something. The two testaments even come in the same book after all.

I have no comment on the book of Mormon.

the old testament specifically concerned the jews and the nation of israel, so no, most of it is not valid currently

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Testikles posted:

I'm pretty sure the bible is a collection of books, letters, poems and stuff. I've never heard anyone who thought it was a single long rambling book.

Heck, the word bible means a collection of books.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

*liberals tear down Robert E Lee statues because of slavery*

''Islamaphobe! Slavery is just part of their culture and religion. How dare you judge them!"

*forgets that General Lee never owned slaves*

The alt-right fanfic community.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

spacetoaster posted:

Can you elaborate on how they're the same? Beyond believing in a "god"?

Exclusionary monotheistic religion that believes in an afterlife, being good to one another, adhering to a bunch of arbitrary rules. Mandatory attendance of religious centres, a hierarchical and insular clergy system, internal disputes and sects. Hell, even the books and history overlap a lot. Some of the characters are the same. Both very large with roughly the same shelf-life and tendency to poo poo on people who don't believe what they believe.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

your friend a dog posted:

the old testament specifically concerned the jews and the nation of israel, so no, most of it is not valid currently

Other than almost every Christian denomination disagreeing with it this is a good point.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

The alt-right fanfic community.

tell me more how I'm a neo-nazi, being a native american.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

tell me more how I'm a neo-nazi, being a native american.

You're no more or less neo-nazi than a white neo-nazi. That would be racist. Possibly also reverse-racist, the worst kind.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agag posted:

Other than almost every Christian denomination disagreeing with it this is a good point.

considering the largest denomination prays to saints in direct disobedience of the bible, im not really sure they matter

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Lmao, just dwell on this insanity

Extremists from one particular religion keep blowing people up, like every couple of weeks

And the powers that be tell everyone "Well, that will happen. Carry on"

This is crazy

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

your friend a dog posted:

considering the largest denomination prays to saints in direct disobedience of the bible, im not really sure they matter

We should probably get rid of them at the same time we get rid of Islam. I mean while we're at it.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Extremists from one particular religion keep blowing people up, like every couple of weeks

This is crazy

We've been killing their civilians nonstop for 16 years. Presumably by "doing nothing" people mean the status quo of mutual child-murder. The setup is vaguely Aztec, but without the cool pyramids.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Jeza posted:

People defend Islam as a whole because the religion is almost always just clothing for the reasons behind what people do. If the state of the world was topsy turvy and Christianity or any other mainstream but exclusionary religion was the minority, while there was an affluent Islamic status quo that occupied and generally interfered with the Christian homelands, there would probably be sects of radical Christians willing to martyr themselves in horrible ways too.

Religions of almost all kinds have gone through phases of liberalisation and radicalisation, tolerance and persecution depending on their place in the world and how secure they felt. Being Islamic doesn't make you any less moral than anybody else inherently, so it is essentially bullshit to persecute all Muslims for the actions of a few.

Read the justifications behind the Anarchist bombings of the late 19th and early 20th century and honestly you'll find them almost the same as those of current Islamic extremists, despite the fact that Anarchism and Radical Islam could probably not be more diametrically opposed. Both justified their attacks on civilians as a means of striking back against state sanctioned violence that killed many times more people daily without any moral repercussions.

To me, it's a pretty reprehensible mindset. And not one I can easily understand. But I've never felt particularly persecuted so maybe I would feel differently if I had emigrated from some war-torn homeland. I'm equally at a loss for people like Anders Breivik who will just murder dozens of children and teenagers one by one just to make some political point.

This is just straight up wrong. First, other religions don't condone violence directly in their religious texts like Islam. Second, fuckers in Sweden and poo poo are getting hit by these atrocities that have nothing to do with US foreign policy. I mean, Germany welcomed how many refugees with open arms?

We are dealing with a belief system that is fundamentally rotten to its very core, and is utterly compatible with a free and peaceful society.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

This is crazy

What are your actual practical suggestions?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the bible is a collection of books, letters, poems and stuff. I've never heard anyone who thought it was a single long rambling book.

Heck, the word bible means a collection of books.

It'd be the correct way to put it, but you're acting as if modern day Christians eschew the entirety of the Old Testament. It's outdated in relation to Jesus but at the same time it still influences Christianity and does find its way in the justification of things.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

This is crazy

Do you have some kind of final solution to this Islamic problem?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Agag posted:

You're supposed to reliably kill children with missiles or Navy SEAL bullets. Get it together, terrorists.

Interview with ER nurse

'I still feel raw': nurse tells of treating Manchester bombing victims

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/24/i-still-feel-raw-nurse-tells-of-treating-manchester-bombing-victims

Joe O’Brien is a senior sister in the surgical department
of Stepping Hill hospital in Stockport, where six of the 59 injured in the Manchester bombing were treated.

quote:

On Monday, I worked from 8am until 6pm as a surgery sister at Stepping Hill hospital in Stockport. I was in bed that night listening to BBC Radio Four when I heard the words ‘Manchester’ and ‘incident’. I immediately thought about Declan, my son, a student who lives in central Manchester. I shot downstairs, spoke to my husband Sean. We rang Declan and established that he was OK, then I rang work and went in.

When I got there at 1.30am there were ambulances outside which had brought in six of the 59 casualties from the arena. They were stabilised in the A&E unit and brought to the surgical department where I work. They all had what we call lower limb injuries with foreign bodies – shrapnel injuries. Metal bolts and nuts, some an inch wide, had gone into them. They had caused real damage and left big holes in people. Shrapnel is like a large bullethole. It just destroys anything it goes through – arteries, bones, nerves, the lot. I’ve been in operating theatres since 1988 and it’s the most upsetting thing I’ve ever seen.

My patient was a lovely, lovely lady who had been in the foyer of the arena when the bomb went off. She had extensive, horrendous injuries caused by the shrapnel, including broken bones and tissue damage. She was in theatre from 3am until about 6.30am. I talked to her just before she went to sleep for the operation and she was just holding my hand and saying ‘Thank you, thank you’. She was in a very bad way but was still smiling and saying thank you. That showed real humanity; I thought that was amazing.

At least four of the six patients needed surgery. Usually only one of our 18 theatres is open overnight for emergencies. But on Monday, surgery was going on simultaneously in three of them, staffed by teams including about 25 other colleagues who like me had just come in to help – surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses, theatre technicians, radiologists to read X-rays and hospital managers – everyone.

Surgeons took the bolts and nuts out of patients and repaired the damage they had caused. One woman with abdominal shrapnel damage who arrived at 4am ended up in theatre for 12 hours.

The atmosphere in the surgical department overnight was very calm and focused but also very emotional. I found it emotional partly because of my lovely lady patient, who didn’t deserve what happened to her; I’ll always remember her smiling. And emotional also because one of the doctors I worked with overnight had actually been at the arena when the bomb exploded, waiting to pick up his daughter from the concert. He didn’t even mention that though. I don’t know how he found the strength to come into work and work all night after getting his daughter home, and after being at the scene of such horror, but he did. I said to him, ‘You’re fantastic.’ But he just said: ‘I’m not fantastic; it’s what we do.’

Strangely, it was only when the police told us to bag up the clothes belonging to the casualties and also the shrapnel – not to clean the bolts and nuts, because they would need them for evidence – that I realised something awful had happened. That brought home the enormity of it.

I’m still feeling very raw and emotional. I finally finished at 9.30 on Tuesday morning and I cried when I got home. On the BBC news a lady was appealing for help to find her daughter and that reminded me of how I felt when I woke up and panicked about my son in Manchester. I cuddled up with my black labrador, called Shadow, on the floor and had a good cry.

A terrible thing happened, and there’s no explanation for it. But I don’t want to think about who did it. I want to focus on the good I saw and was part of on Monday night. We should focus on the love and warmth people displayed after the bomb, and on those who helped those affected, like the homeless guys who gave people directions after the bomb, and not on those who do things like this.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

revmoo posted:

This is just straight up wrong. First, other religions don't condone violence directly in their religious texts like Islam.

LOL

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Agag posted:

We should probably get rid of them at the same time we get rid of Islam. I mean while we're at it.

We've been killing their civilians nonstop for 16 years. Presumably by "doing nothing" people mean the status quo of mutual child-murder. The setup is vaguely Aztec, but without the cool pyramids.

"Their civilians"

These are 2nd generation citizens

Obviously if they think like that their loyalties lie elsewhere

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Jeza posted:

Liberalisation and tolerance is derived from power and stability. To me Christianity and Islam, while containing minor differences, are functionally the same thing. Obviously in this hypothetical world, things wouldn't be a perfect mirror, but I see no reason to assume that a rough parallel wouldn't emerge. History can show us a number of periods where Islam was a notably more tolerant religion than Christianity, and of course the reverse. It's one of life's little ironies that Jews were once more welcome in some segments of Islamic society than most Christian ones, for example.

The hypothetical situation you are describing could never be achieved because Islam actively calls you to conquer and murder other religions. Their book is meant to be taken literally because it is the word of their god. Trying to reform it would be heresy with a death penalty.

If you need evidence of how muslims treat christian/jewish minorities (or even other kinds of muslims) just look at what happened in Libya or what is happening today in the Phillipines, or really any part of the world that has ever had a muslim majority.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Pawl posted:

The hypothetical situation you are describing could never be achieved because Islam actively calls you to conquer and murder other religions. Their book is meant to be taken literally because it is the word of their god. Trying to reform it would be heresy with a death penalty.

If you need evidence of how muslims treat christian/jewish minorities (or even other kinds of muslims) just look at what happened in Libya or what is happening today in the Phillipines, or really any part of the world that has ever had a muslim majority.

This is actual fact.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

Interview with ER nurse

'I still feel raw': nurse tells of treating Manchester bombing victims

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/24/i-still-feel-raw-nurse-tells-of-treating-manchester-bombing-victims

Joe O’Brien is a senior sister in the surgical department
of Stepping Hill hospital in Stockport, where six of the 59 injured in the Manchester bombing were treated.

Wow, people getting injured by explosions sounds really bad. Good thing we would never kill any children with explosives.

I take back the Navy SEAL part. I'm sure those kids were all felled by precision headshots.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

Wow, people getting injured by explosions sounds really bad. Good thing we would never kill any children with explosives.

I take back the Navy SEAL part. I'm sure those kids were all felled by precision headshots.

false equivalency is loving WOKE!

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

lol but seriously I posted:

What are your actual practical suggestions?

Start deporting anyone who is on a watchlist

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"Their civilians"

These are 2nd generation citizens

Obviously if they think like that their loyalties lie elsewhere

I thought racial and civilization loyalty was a big thing with you guys?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Agag posted:

You're an idiot.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Countdown to UK banning nails, screws, bolts, nuts, and bearings

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm a thread about children being slaughtered at a concert in Britain. I know, I'll rant about US foreign policy.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

false equivalency is loving WOKE!

Its literally exactly the same.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

You're literally retarded.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Agag posted:

Obama was drone striking children's concerts on purpose?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Testikles posted:

I read it. I'm just saying he's acting like the New Testament exists in a vacuum. Jesus might have said that the things he said were the new rules, but people frequently go back to the Old Testament when they need a reason for something.

Examples you can provide of this happening?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Obama was drone striking children's concerts on purpose?

Stop posting.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Start deporting anyone who is on a watchlist

Would a country actually take back a 2nd generation immigrant suspected of terrorism?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Agag posted:

using whataboutism as a talking point in TYOOL 2017. such a shameful display

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jeza posted:

Exclusionary monotheistic religion that believes in an afterlife, being good to one another, adhering to a bunch of arbitrary rules. Mandatory attendance of religious centres, a hierarchical and insular clergy system, internal disputes and sects. Hell, even the books and history overlap a lot. Some of the characters are the same. Both very large with roughly the same shelf-life and tendency to poo poo on people who don't believe what they believe.

A lot of that is just cosmetic. What actual doctrines are the same? Also, what books "overlap"? And beyond names, what characters are the same?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

revmoo posted:

Hmm a thread about children being slaughtered at a concert in Britain. I know, I'll rant about US foreign policy.

I wouldn't confine it to any particular country. There is a global slaughter of children that is perpetrated by Western armed forces, terrorist organizations, and Middle Eastern client states in unison. Perhaps the only thing everyone sees eye-to-eye on.

If we stop killing children maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow. Can't risk it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Testikles posted:

It'd be the correct way to put it, but you're acting as if modern day Christians eschew the entirety of the Old Testament. It's outdated in relation to Jesus but at the same time it still influences Christianity and does find its way in the justification of things.

I'm sure they pick out the bits they like and ignore the bad parts. Why would that not be ok?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

revmoo posted:

This is just straight up wrong. First, other religions don't condone violence directly in their religious texts like Islam. Second, fuckers in Sweden and poo poo are getting hit by these atrocities that have nothing to do with US foreign policy. I mean, Germany welcomed how many refugees with open arms?

We are dealing with a belief system that is fundamentally rotten to its very core, and is utterly compatible with a free and peaceful society.

The wonderful thing about belief systems is that people pick and choose what they wish to believe in. Much like how vast swathes of the Bible are now just ignored as metaphor or just plain ignored, the same is true in Islam. If anything, their system of religious texts is even more ambiguous and open to interpretation than Christianity, meaning people can interpret what they like to further their own goals.

While I don't give two tosses about Islamic beliefs, it's weird to characterise it as especially rotten. It just has the power and numbers to strike back against a Western hegemony, so it will. Push one way and the other side will swing back. More than 99% of Muslims seem to be totally compatible with a free and peaceful society to me.

It's a fact that refugees, even those welcomed into countries, rarely respond with gratitude. Mostly they feel isolated and rejected, and often many are resentful that their homes have been destroyed. They generally live in near total poverty and are reliant for years on a begrudging state infrastructure that does not really want them, and a population that resents them as parasites. That's sad but that's life. People will commit atrocities based on their circumstances, and not really give a poo poo about the geographic rationality of it or whether Sweden committed anti-Islamic war crimes. If you're an early 20s Muslim man from some blown out shithole in Syria with a lot of anger to burn, there's a chance you are going to channel that anger into extremist religion and politics. It's inevitable.

You can see that first generation immigrants are actually more extreme than people from their native countries. It's historically shown again and again. It usually takes 2-3 generations before properly harmonious integration happens, and there are a lot of factors to speed or slow that down.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Collateral damage of children being used as shields by coward terrorists, totally the same as intentionally targeting children at a concert with nail bombs.
Mmmmm, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

I wouldn't confine it to any particular country. There is a global slaughter of children that is perpetrated by Western armed forces, terrorist organizations, and Middle Eastern client states in unison. Perhaps the only thing everyone sees eye-to-eye on.

If we stop killing children maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow. Can't risk it.

See, maybe I'd agree, but the omelet we've made with all these dead kids tastes pretty drat good to me.

• Locked thread