Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

there are people (edit: firms) that will loan you money to buy your unvested shares, assuming the risk, for a cut

:911: sv

these did not exist in 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
aaag just got nickled and dimed at final negotiations. still a good rate but not as great as it was :sigh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

because they're "in the money" on paper but can not actually be exchanged for anything of value until an ipo or other event which may never happen or will happen at unfavorable terms [eg bankruptcy]

source: I "own" 325 shares of altavista stock

stocks that cannot be exchanged for cash are not in the money. don't buy worthless stocks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

stocks that cannot be exchanged for cash are not in the money. don't buy worthless stocks.

bonus: the government doesn't consider them worthless and you have to pay an immediate tax bil upon exercising

stock options are dumb and bad stack chips and make your own investments

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

bonus: the government doesn't consider them worthless and you have to pay an immediate tax bil upon exercising

good

gently caress techbros and their equity

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah my rule of thumb is to exercise options asap

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
recruiter emailed and he wants to set up a final phone screen with the senior manager of the team. i don't know if this is a good or bad sign after already doing an on site

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

recruiter emailed and he wants to set up a final phone screen with the senior manager of the team. i don't know if this is a good or bad sign after already doing an on site
in my experience this means they have more questions, usually around teamwork and organizational stuff than skill questions [but I could be wrong]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is this a person you met during your interview or someone who was not around

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

is this a person you met during your interview or someone who was not around

i met someone who said that he managed 2 of the teams but i don't know if he was senior or some middle layer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
they said i might need Internet access so im worried they think my technical stuff needs to be tested more

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah my rule of thumb is to exercise options asap

lol

i had basho options at like $17, then they got repriced to 28˘, and then they went under

glad i didn't exercise them ever

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

they said i might need Internet access so im worried they think my technical stuff needs to be tested more

maybe it's a hackerrank thing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

welp the guy who got me my current job contacted me about qa position at another place. but it's not downtown which is kind of a deal breaker unless the figgies are extremely good.

and also it's a qa position. i just moved to a development position like a month ago.

anyway it's good to be at the point where people want to hire me and i can say no.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

doubtful after an onsite. if they had doubts they would have rejected you. probably this:

qirex posted:

in my experience this means they have more questions, usually around teamwork and organizational stuff than skill questions [but I could be wrong]

when I interviewed at currentjob a PM that interviewed me apparently relayed a totally bogus version of what I said to the hiring manager. he called me up to find out what I really said. after I clarified they went ahead with the offer.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Just got terminated over text msg. Going to hit up the clinical trial racket ASAP. My goal over the summer is still to hit yet another 10-14K after tax. I already have a perfectly maintained car but I figure the extra cash in hand should go to a van or whatever to sleep in a few blocks from a BART station so I can hit the ground running. Any recommendations for a service that receives mail/ gives me a SF address to aid in fast tracking "this fucker is local interview him immediately"?

THANKS FOR LISTENING!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

havent heard a peep posted:

Just got terminated over text msg. Going to hit up the clinical trial racket ASAP. My goal over the summer is still to hit yet another 10-14K after tax. I already have a perfectly maintained car but I figure the extra cash in hand should go to a van or whatever to sleep in a few blocks from a BART station so I can hit the ground running. Any recommendations for a service that receives mail/ gives me a SF address to aid in fast tracking "this fucker is local interview him immediately"?

THANKS FOR LISTENING!

https://travelingmailbox.com/

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol who tf puts a physical address on a resume?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

its the standard here :shrug:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nobody in sf would look at your address, and definitely no one would 'fast track' you because of your address

don't waste your time or money on that

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I got passed over once cause I wasn't local since they needed immediate availability

:redflag: I'm guessing tho

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

*checks resumé*

apparently me.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

you just need: name, phone, email (website if you have a good one)

nobody gonna send you a letter in the mail

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

nobody in sf would look at your address, and definitely no one would 'fast track' you because of your address

don't waste your time or money on that

Thank you very much. Some employers in Wisconsin judge based on address. If you live outside of Madison/ Milwaukee they will offer less because it's safe to assume you are desperately trying to escape the rest of the state and lack of local jobs.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thank you very much. Some employers in Wisconsin judge based on address. If you live outside of Madison/ Milwaukee they will offer less because it's safe to assume you are desperately trying to escape the rest of the state and lack of local jobs.

lol thats hosed up

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Yeah I put my address on a resume, and working here I've heard people ask if a candidate is local if they're on the cusp of being hired, since that would mean relocation costs.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

currentjob absolutely screens people's location on submitted resumes because lol at them paying anyone relo.

it goes without saying that this is a red flag

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

epic does that for sure. what has you wanting to take the carny hobo lifestyle out to california?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

so going with relocation chat, whats the best way to say "yo idgaf about relocating just pay me to work there and ill be there"?
i can understand wanting local people since they can probably start a lot quicker, but as long as some of these companies take to get back to anyone i can't imagine they are in much of a rush

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shaman Linavi posted:

so going with relocation chat, whats the best way to say "yo idgaf about relocating just pay me to work there and ill be there"?
i can understand wanting local people since they can probably start a lot quicker, but as long as some of these companies take to get back to anyone i can't imagine they are in much of a rush

What if instead of a salary

They just give you free chipotle burritos for dinner

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Literally everyone. Do you have a job?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Millstone posted:

I didn't but I figured the 415 phone number and last 10 years of employment being exclusively in sf were sufficient clues

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't even put my phone on a resume

because there was this super annoying guy calling me once so gently caress that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I made a google voice number just for this job search and turning off call forwarding and notifications for it was really nice

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i put one on when it was explicitly reminding them i was remote and would need relo, have since dropped it

whose this chucklefuck using caps trying to clown on folks with bad advice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I do have a spam resumé with my spam email address on it for putting up on job sites. I should really remove my phone number since anyone credible sends an email first.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

I do have a spam resumé with my spam email address on it for putting up on job sites. I should really remove my phone number since anyone credible sends an email first.

lol if you haven't learned why you don't put your phone # on your toss away resume the hard way

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Millstone posted:

lmao in 1980 okay

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

do you write "dear sir/maam:" at the top of your cover letter too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

epic does that for sure. what has you wanting to take the carny hobo lifestyle out to california?

The year: 2000 in Shelbyville, KY. Gunny Sgt. In ROTC told us that after the semester was out we would all either enlist or work till the grave. He also stated that on average we would all make out to 1 million over our individual life spans. I'm 33 now and my personal drive keeps hitting new levels of peak profitble efficiency albeit I literally starve myself out of spite partly because I have always been scared of big city USA and leaving my parents and Young Buck kid brother behind. I know that I don't belong to anyone and I want to make a buck and buy the family home in Wisconsin to guarantee that my parents don't ever see a retirement home. It's me. I'm the rear end in a top hat that gardens with his mother.

• Locked thread