Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Either we give them rights or bring them to Islam, this status quo promoted by the merchants will lead us to disaster.

Hmm, you're right. This has to end somewhere, and fast!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hereby propose that in order to stave off any further rebellion we are to acknowledge and formalise the Dhimmi's rights before the Sultan, as well as the rights of any Qarbiyan Dhimmi that may arise due to the Merchants' efforts in the west. The rights of worship and language of all Dhimmi are to be protected in return for loyalty and a standard Jizya tax. Let Humanism become the future for Al-Andalus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I, al-Paragonia of the Merchants, propose that we extend rights to the other peoples of Iberia by accepting their cultures.

Surely some common ground (and profit) can be found? Rebellions are expensive.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
What's our tech looking like? How do we compare?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Luhood posted:

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hereby propose that in order to stave off any further rebellion we are to acknowledge and formalise the Dhimmi's rights before the Sultan, as well as the rights of any Qarbiyan Dhimmi that may arise due to the Merchants' efforts in the west. The rights of worship and language of all Dhimmi are to be protected in return for loyalty and a standard Jizya tax. Let Humanism become the future for Al-Andalus!

Supporting this

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Luhood posted:

:yeah:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

paragon1 posted:

I, al-Paragonia of the Merchants, propose that we extend rights to the other peoples of Iberia by accepting their cultures.

I support this. Peace is good for business.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We don't have any accepted culture slots left to accept them with, iirc.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

catlord posted:

What's our tech looking like? How do we compare?

Better. Our mil and admin tech is pretty much on par with everyone else, but the Merchants' recent focus on exploration and colonisation means our dip tech is laughable.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Internal Stability Edict, mandating increasing Stability to +3 as soon as possible, and taking decisions to reduce National Unrest whenever available. The current political crisis is worrying, but if we tear each other apart, all of Al-Andalus will be lost to the vultures that surround us.

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, support this edict. Great minds think alike. If we can't convert em', comfort em'!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

We don't have any accepted culture slots left to accept them with, iirc.

We do:

Probably should've included this in the update.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

I Slaan al-Andalusi move that we improve our Diplomatic tech up to par with the majority of nearby powers. We cannot convert souls to the True Faith unless we are able to speak to them. We cannot do this without learning the newest methods of speech and writing or having access to the people of foreign nations

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hashim posted:

Better. Our mil and admin tech is pretty much on par with everyone else, but the Merchants' recent focus on exploration and colonisation means our dip tech is laughable.

Holy crap that's bad

Hashim posted:

We do:

Probably should've included this in the update.

By the way people, the greyed out button next to leonese and catalan means we can't accept them

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 24, 2017

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Luhood posted:

Given that without an Ulema mandate bringing the light of Allah to our new subjects is currently not possible, I will support this proposal.

Edit; Actually nah, that's not very Taifa-y at all.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2017

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I, Snipee of the Ulama, propose the Preservation of Islam Act prohibiting the acceptance of any Christian cultures within our borders .

We must prepare to convert the Christians as soon as possible or else they will one day outnumber the faithful Muslims of Iberia and transform our uniquely Islamic country into yet another Christian kingdom. How many wars have we fought against the Christians to maintain our small safe haven for Muslims in Western Europe? How many times have we bled to keep the Crusaders from slaughtering our people? The short-term benefits of tolerating heresy today will be outweighed by the long-term costs of losing our identity and slipping into inevitable moral decline. It is foolish to believe that we can put an end to separatism by allowing for the persistence of alien cultures that will always regard themselves as separate from Al Andalus. If nothing else, this attitude of appeasement towards the Christians betrays a pathetic insecurity in the strength of our own culture! Our ancestors would weep if they knew how far we have fallen to even consider abandoning our religion.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

paragon1 posted:

I support this proposal.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

All of the policies submitted so far are perfectly fine, but just so the Ulema know, you'll be able to un-accept cultures once (if) you get into power.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Just some comments on the gameplay effects of each proposal:

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Internal Stability Edict, mandating increasing Stability to +3 as soon as possible, and taking decisions to reduce National Unrest whenever available. The current political crisis is worrying, but if we tear each other apart, all of Al-Andalus will be lost to the vultures that surround us.
Investing ADM points to get to Stab+3 is usually a waste of points, as each level past +1 gets progressively more costly (and we probably already have pretty high stabcost due to our religious unity being below 100%)

paragon1 posted:

Hashim has already said that he's not going to convert accepted cultures, so if we accept any Christians we have to either commit to getting Humanism later on or live with constant sources of rebellions forever.

Luhood posted:

We just picked up a new NI group at ADM tech 8 and it's an Admin idea, so it's quite unlikely we'll get around to picking up another idea group this session. And even if so, picking up a second Admin group might not be a great choice.

Hashim: don't know if you want to give it away, but do we have a +tolerance to heathens idea coming up in our national ideas similar to vanilla Granada?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

What, we can't join the Loyalists? Hakam is just about everything I want from a Sultan!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

sheep-dodger posted:

Hashim: don't know if you want to give it away, but do we have a +tolerance to heathens idea coming up in our national ideas similar to vanilla Granada?

Nope, no tolerance ideas, but I might change one or two depending on how the game progresses.

As for the Idea Group, I just pick them based on what faction is in power whenever the tech for it rolls around. For example, if the Taifas are in power next time, then I might pick Defensive or Offensive Ideas, if it's the Ulema then religious, and something related to Trade or Humanism if it's the Merchants. It all really depends on the policies submitted over the past few sessions.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 24, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

What, we can't join the Loyalists? Hakam is just about everything I want from a Sultan!

Jizrunid Loyalists will be a new faction when the next Majlis Meeting rolls around, it won't be very related to the Taifas though, they'll advocate for greater powers for the Sultan, no matter what his personality is.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Will the Dhimmi ever be their own faction?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Probably not, I figure the Merchants already want tolerance for minorities, and that's all the Dhimmi really are.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Snipee posted:

We must prepare to convert the Christians as soon as possible or else they will one day outnumber the faithful Muslims of Iberia and transform our uniquely Islamic country into yet another Christian kingdom. How many wars have we fought against the Christians to maintain our small safe haven for Muslims in Western Europe? How many times have we bled to keep the Crusaders from slaughtering our people? The short-term benefits of tolerating heresy today will be outweighed by the long-term costs of losing our identity and slipping into inevitable moral decline. It is foolish to believe that we can put an end to separatism by allowing for the persistence of alien cultures that will always regard themselves as separate from Al Andalus. If nothing else, this attitude of appeasement towards the Christians betrays a pathetic insecurity in the strength of our own culture! Our ancestors would weep if they knew how far we have fallen to even consider abandoning our religion.

Some breathtaking misuse of the word heresy for a member of the Ulema right here.

I have no comment on the remaining deluded paranoid ranting.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Humanism? Is that where we have to bow back to the peasants?

:jerkbag:

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius, who is totally not a Roman, propose that we take ideas and idea groups related to the quality of our soldiers as soon as possible, and support this by hiring a military advisor.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ralepozozaxe posted:

They have their own faction already, what do you want like an icon of an Oubliette or something to go with it?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius, who is totally not a Roman, propose that we take ideas and idea groups related to the quality of our soldiers as soon as possible, and support this by hiring a military advisor.

I support Emir Amir Al-Notaromanni in his proposal to improve our soldiers as well as his mocking of this "humanist" nonsense

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Policies so far:

Luhood posted:

Luhood, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, Grizzwold.

Flavius Belisarius, TildeATH.

Soup du Jour posted:

Soup du Jour, Erwin the German, Ralepozozaxe.

Chatrapati posted:

I, Chatrapati of the Ulema, propose that no more wars of aggression be fought until the next session.

Chatrapati.

Slaan posted:

I Slaan al-Andalusi move that we improve our Diplomatic tech up to par with the majority of nearby powers. We cannot convert souls to the True Faith unless we are able to speak to them. We cannot do this without learning the newest methods of speech and writing or having access to the people of foreign nations

Slaan.

Snipee posted:

I, Snipee of the Ulama, propose the Preservation of Islam Act prohibiting the acceptance of any Christian cultures within our borders .

Snipee.

paragon1 posted:

paragon1, Mikl, Talas.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I propose we charter ships to find a route to Mecca by sea and onward to India! Show those Moroccan fools they have no hope of beating us there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Luhood posted:

I, Qaptin al-Blivious, support this motion.

The status quo is untenable. We must make the Dhimmi feel genuinely Andalusian.

And perhaps our armies will grow stronger for it!

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 25, 2017

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

I propose The Trade Optimization and State Revenue Act, which entails that the administration of the provinces of Lixbuna and Isbiliya (Lisbon and Seville) should be handed over to the Burgher estate. This will greatly increase our trade power in the Seville trade node and allow us to collect a larger portion of the money flowing in from the rest of the world.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bot 02 posted:

I propose The Trade Optimization and State Revenue Act, which entails that the administration of the provinces of Lixbuna and Isbiliya (Lisbon and Seville) should be handed over to the Burgher estate. This will greatly increase our trade power in the Seville trade node and allow us to collect a larger portion of the money flowing in from the rest of the world.

Supporting this.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
If the Ulama stays united, then we can still maintain our Islamic heritage. Please clap vote for my proposal.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Agreed. Rewarding these rebels and traitors with 'acceptance' will only embolden them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed. Rewarding these rebels and traitors with 'acceptance' will only embolden them.

But enough about Palermo, how will we be treating the Portuguese?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hashim posted:

Hm. We should probably work on increasing our dip tech. It's been a long while (and several expansions) since I last played EU4, what will the immediate benefits of upgrading that be?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

catlord posted:

Hm. We should probably work on increasing our dip tech. It's been a long while (and several expansions) since I last played EU4, what will the immediate benefits of upgrading that be?

Dip tech primarily deals with increasing trade efficiency, colonisation range and global settlers, and it also unlocks the trade and naval-related buildings, as well as new ship types.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The highlights from levels 7 to 10 are a big boost to our colonization range at level 7, more settlers per year at level 10, and better ship types for every category (Heavy, light, galley and transport) at 9 and 10.

Edit: level 8 also allows us to have an additional accepted culture, i figure the merchants will like this too.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 25, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hashim posted:

Dip tech primarily deals with increasing trade efficiency, colonisation range and global settlers, and it also unlocks the trade and naval-related buildings, as well as new ship types.

Frionnel posted:

The higlights from levels 7 to 10 are a big boost to our colonization range at level 7, more settlers per year at level 10, and better ship types for every category (Heavy, light, galley and transport) at 9 and 10.

Thanks. Those sound useful, but also more of a Merchants thing, so I'm going to have to toss my support here:

Better troops means safer trade centres

(but it probably wouldn't hurt to accept the Portuguese or something too)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bot 02 posted:

I support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I don't know how you want the first part of this to work when Hashim already said he picks idea groups based on what faction is in power, and it's not the Taifas. The second part alone is really tame to be our single motion.