Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You know, reading this discussion about subs vs dubs, I find myself nodding in agreement with both sides. Which is probably why I used some of those language teaching audio book courses like 10 years ago and learned enough of spoken Japanese that I can actually follow the average anime episode without reading the subs for the most part. Hell, for the average shounen manga adaptation I will often straight up look away and do something on monitor 2 while its playing and still follow it just fine. The time investment to do one of those audio book study courses is about the same as watching one episode of anime every day for like 3 months, and it is surprisingly fun to learn. Anyone invested enough to have a lengthy conversation on subs vs dubs is probably invested enough in the medium to learn Japanese themselves, think about it some time, it is probably worth it. You are probably already a step or two into it because if you watch even 1 or 2 shows a season, the language already shouldn't sound "foreign" to you anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've really enjoyed the gradual development of Gourai's personality

did you watch the OP this week

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Flower posted:

I hadn't! That is so cool

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I sometimes watch a dub after a sub and usually I realize there was something I missed about the original, some information not adequately explained by subs that they localized better via subs or I missed because maybe I was reading something at the time; there's little things to appreciate.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Space Flower posted:

I usually skip it so I have no idea what changed

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

You know, reading this discussion about subs vs dubs, I find myself nodding in agreement with both sides. Which is probably why I used some of those language teaching audio book courses like 10 years ago and learned enough of spoken Japanese that I can actually follow the average anime episode without reading the subs for the most part. Hell, for the average shounen manga adaptation I will often straight up look away and do something on monitor 2 while its playing and still follow it just fine. The time investment to do one of those audio book study courses is about the same as watching one episode of anime every day for like 3 months, and it is surprisingly fun to learn. Anyone invested enough to have a lengthy conversation on subs vs dubs is probably invested enough in the medium to learn Japanese themselves, think about it some time, it is probably worth it. You are probably already a step or two into it because if you watch even 1 or 2 shows a season, the language already shouldn't sound "foreign" to you anymore.

I completely agree with this post.
But note that only watching anime does not teach you japanese, no matter how much you want it. I'd watched huge amounts of anime for 10+ years and definitely learned hundreds of common words, but I made way more progress in the first few months of sitting down properly learning japanese.

Watching lots of anime does give you a boost when learning japanese (especially when it comes to listening), but you do need to spend that effort of studying to actually make use of it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The Royal Tutor is surprisingly a very cute show. It's very charming and very safe so far.

It's totally Merry Poppins told as a prince charming story, but that's sort of neat.

Worth watching, does something simple but effective.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
yo, I saw an episode of cyber city oedo 808 last night and the dub was hella good, I might watch more.

then I saw demon city shinjuku, which I originally saw 20 years ago and thought it was kinda good back then, and wow the dub was way worse than I remember.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

yo, I saw an episode of cyber city oedo 808 last night and the dub was hella good, I might watch more.

then I saw demon city shinjuku, which I originally saw 20 years ago and thought it was kinda good back then, and wow the dub was way worse than I remember.

demon city shinjuku is also a bad movie, so that doesn't help

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
watch wicked city instead op

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

haha, gets me every time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks a lot better than what the producers were saying about it, which sounded super middle school notebook. I'll probs check it out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why the hell isn't Franken Fan an anime yet?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Grouchio posted:

Why the hell isn't Franken Fan an anime yet?

I don't know that I'd want to be the director on a Franken Fran anime. Episodic, which people tend to hate, plus the best moments, like the cannibalism on the cruiseship are really best displayed as a shocking single panel at the end of the thing. Dragging that out into 7 minutes of conclusion at the end of an anime episode wouldn't really work, but the setups would seem to justify a full-length show.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I hope Kigitsu's next series is another gross one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Franken Fran would make a good (short?) anime but there's nothing to motivate it (manga sales, tie-in, etc) currently.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah Franken Fran as 15 minute shorts would rule or do the western animation thing of each ep being two distinct stories

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sindai posted:

I usually skip it so I have no idea what changed

they've been slowly replacing 3dcg in the opening with 2d animation, week by week. could be fully 2d by the end? ?

->
->
->

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Speaking of replaced openings, Tsuki ga Kirei also upgraded the opening this week.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's clearly a metaphor for the girls becoming human.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The humans get exclusively 2d animation. Next ep features the girls as humans. I'm alright with this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe that F.A.Girls is the best anime of the season

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Without having watched any of it, I can.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A shame it's not streaming on crunchyroll.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This week's Re-Creators was OK

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This week's Re-Creators was OK

Could have done without the first character to out themselves as gay dying immediately afterwards, even if it was a pretty obvious completion of the reference to the work they're most clearly inspired by.

Still, who knows, maybe being a magical girl means you can just shrug off being stabbed with gazillions of swords and then nuking yourself.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

Could have done without the first character to out themselves as gay dying immediately afterwards, even if it was a pretty obvious completion of the reference to the work they're most clearly inspired by.

I'm not convinced she was going that far with it, unless the phrasing is meaningful in Japanese.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

I'm not convinced she was going that far with it, unless the phrasing is meaningful in Japanese.

She said daisuki, which the subs translated as "like" in that conversation, and "love" when the evil girl said it to Souta

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

She said daisuki, which the subs translated as "like" in that conversation, and "love" when the evil girl said it to Souta

Daisuki is a really emphatic form of 'suki', or 'like'. Saying 'I really like you' while gazing into somebody's eyes and tenderly holding their hand before heading off to certain death is not exactly deep, hidden subtext.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

BIG LIKE

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man I like Re:Creators. I thought a lot of the complaining about Meteora was exaggerated. I think the show has been flat out good, the kid not confessing earlier obviously withstanding. But gently caress, when I watch the show and pause it for a second, I can loving hear Meteora blathering on and on. Her deadpan is a total ear worm that has ruined me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked re:creators early on but that was under the assumption that the talking wouldn't be literally every episode

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://u.nya.is/jpuxde.webm

this week's granblue highlight features minoru shiraishi. weiiiiiii

EDIT: no one saw that

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 28, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Space Flower posted:

this week's granblue highlight features minoru shiarishi. weiiiiiii

Paging Vostok, those seem like some decent catboys.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

The Colonel posted:

i liked re:creators early on but that was under the assumption that the talking wouldn't be literally every episode

Considering that it's a two-cour series, the whole thing could be saved if Meteora turns out to be the major villain. She's slowly been ingratiating herself to the government, getting access to tactical weapons of various sorts (maybe eventually strategic), and has constantly been making these leaps of metaphysical logic that nobody seems inclined to doubt.

Looks like the current villain is in line to be confronted, at least, by the end of the current cour. That leaves plenty of leeway for twisty plot nonsense going forward

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't really care about plot twists, i care that boring exposition took priority over interesting character beats

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Gabriel Dropout specials on Blu-ray are definitely worth watching if you're a fan of the series. One is a bit fanservicey, but still funny. The other is probably the best episode in the whole show as far as I'm concerned. It should have been in the main series.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

this week's granblue highlight features minoru shiraishi. weiiiiiii

I saw that